Ok we all know it, we all see it, and Darth Linux himself even told me, the diongas suck.
So I thought how to make them realistic.
1. Create a 1 way floor for the player to walk on, and make the bottom of the floor brush able to have a person walk through it. Like a patch. This is what the player walks on while wading throught the sewer water.
2. Create elevators below this large enought to fit a dianoga or just a giant one. When the creature gets angry it can trigger a silent switch to move the elevator raising its head to the surface.
3. Create teleporters and sealed off blocks under the 1 way brush and above the elevator for the dianogas to pop up from.
4 Make animations for the dianoga depicting the puch animations as a slap from tentacles and a leap forward and opening of the mouth left puch right puch = left tentacle lunge and so on.
5. Make a blinking animation play wwhen they are agitated and going through the teleporters/waypoints.
6. Set the elevators to have a seriously long wait time before reactivation and make them about 90 speed.
I thought long and hard about the sewer map and decided this will solve some reality problems.
Post script: If you don't understand please reply with a question.
This is a moot issue really. We had no coding capabilities in the SP engine we used for the second demo. We basically had to make the dianogas work using stuff that was already in the game and we did our best to adapt different things to get a working dianoga (and believe me, it was not easy - months and months - to even get what we had in the demo working like it does).
The MOD is currently being ported over to the MP engine where we will have coding abilities. We will be able to address the dianoga situation much better in the future release.
And I don't want our mappers touch the basically already finished maps any more (except fixing severe bugs and MP related porting, i.e. waypoints etc.).
The new Dianoga NPC Class will solve the problems.