lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: TSL: ATI driver issues and Dantooine Lag Fix
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-14-2005, 07:07 PM   #41
Kiwegapa
Rookie

The gamma in KOTOR 2 is really wild. Sometimes it'll start the game with a setting not specified in the ini or it will return from the game and set your desktop to a strange gamma level. I myself have only the problem with the game occasionally setting itself really dark.

If the game is too dark/bright: From the main menu or from the graphics options page, adjust the gamma one notch, then adjust it back, and it will be normal again.

If your desktop is too dark/bright: Yes, the ATI Catalyst drivers and the nVidia Forceware drivers both have a gamma control. Again, try adjusting it one notch, then returning it to default.

KOTOR 2 Game Issues Guide (Vital Install Info, Bugs, Feature Requests, Performance Tips)
http://www2.whidbey.net/kscully/news...OR2_Guide.html
Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords Restoration Project
Work-In-Progress Status Report
Kiwegapa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2005, 08:33 AM   #42
silkshadow
Rookie

Yup that works for me, but it still blinds me when I exit KOTOR before I have a chance to fix the gamma level.
silkshadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #43
j3di_sean
Rookie

Alright! I've tested DNA catalysts OpenGL's.

DNA 4.7 atioglxx
- with glow
- no artifacts
- no graphic restrictions (AA, AF, etc.)
- no crashes (so far)

Conclusion: DNA 4.7 is more stable than Ati 4.7.

Glow doesn't work for Catalyst 4.8 onwards.
4.6 and 4.7 gives the same results, so use the later one.

Hope it helps...
j3di_sean is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #44
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
sweet!!! although the question is: what steps did you take, and how long did it take for you to get it working?

inquiring minds would like to know.....

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #45
j3di_sean
Rookie

The procedure is the same for any DNA catalyst application.

1. open the program and agree to install the driver

2. DNA program will extract necessary files (INCLUDING atioglxx.dll) into a folder (of your choice) before installing.

3. A message will come up asking you to confirm if you want to remove your current driver. (I use this time to copy the atioglxx.dll from the folder). There are a few atioglxx's there, so take the one from a folder named "normal OGL" (or something of that name).

4. Once that is done, disagree to install the driver. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree to remove your current Catalyst, it gets removed anyway. So I installed Ati Catalyst 5.3 again.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:36 PM   #46
j3di_sean
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by stingerhs
how long did it take for you to get it working?
Get what working?

I'm assuming you're talking about the atioglxx from DNA. I just put it in the Kotor2 folder.

The extraction of atioglxx for different DNA's were a PAIN though.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #47
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

^^^^
actually, i was referring to the whole process of getting the driver from the DNA drivers to your kotor2 folder.

but, now that you've provided the how of the equation, i don't think that it would take too long. i'll give it a shot tommorrow after my 10:30 class and check my results.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:43 AM   #48
j3di_sean
Rookie

Ati 4.7 - 75% chance of crashing
DNA 4.7 - 10% chance
Old 03-20-2005, 12:00 PM   #49
Darth333
Administraterror

Just wanted to point out this guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/KOTOR2_1.html for troubleshooting & optimizing Kotor 2
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #50
Acleacius

Ok, I have a few new things to add as well.

Frist sadly we may have to learn to live without Omega Drviers.
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
I would cut and paste thou it is kinda long.

Second besides the Tweak guide Darth333 mentioned there is a ATI specific tweak guide, here.
Its possible to do some of the tweaks that Omega and DNA do which can be finetuned for your specific system.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Best of Luck to Omgea and Good Luck to everyone getting TSL running great.

BTW Anyone have a clue about the patch?
2 weeks ago Obsidian posted it was in testing/production and would be avalible soon.

Thanks for any info.
Acleacius is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #51
j3di_sean
Rookie

The guides are very useful, thanks!

About the patch, Acleacius, define "soon" ... (can't wait!)
Old 03-24-2005, 09:15 AM   #52
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

good work Acleacius in finding the guides. i'll post them at the top of both sticky's.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #53
Kiwegapa
Rookie

The path is coming...Obsidian has hinted that it's finished or nearly finished testing.

Obsidian sent it to LucasArts a week and a half after the game was released, on the 24th of February. Since that time, the patch has been in testing and has been updated several times.

KOTOR 2 Game Issues Guide (Vital Install Info, Bugs, Feature Requests, Performance Tips)
http://www2.whidbey.net/kscully/news...OR2_Guide.html
Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords Restoration Project
Work-In-Progress Status Report
Kiwegapa is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #54
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

good news with the Omega drivers. i think it'd be best if i just refer you to the update on his main page:

the link: www.omegadrivers.net

Old 05-09-2005, 08:54 PM   #55
MasterIbis
Rookie

so how does the 5.4 omega's hold up in TSL?
MasterIbis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2005, 11:41 PM   #56
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

quite well, actually. i'm gettting an average of about 5-12 fps more than with the standard 5.4 Catalyst drivers on my overclocked R9700 Pro.

but don't think that will be universal. i've chosen the Omega drivers over the OEM drivers because it runs better on my machine. to see if the Omega's run better on your machine, i'd suggest doing some benchmarking to see how they hold up.

for Kotor & TSL benchmarking, i load up a save where my character is fighting a lot of enemies at one time for the high particle count test, a save on Dantooine for the, umm, Dantooine benchmark (that module has its own problems), and finally a module with relatively nothing in it (an empty module i saved in my modules folder). then i use FRAPS to log and calculate my framerate scores.

its not the most accurate way of benchmarking the Kotor games (since its not rendering the exact same thing each time), but it does give you a general idea if any modifications that you just did are having any effect on the framerate.

Old 05-10-2005, 03:18 AM   #57
MasterIbis
Rookie

lol the highest fps i ever get is in menu screens... (non game) at 215 yay while actually playing ( I loaded several different saves in different areas and surroundings) and not once did I hit over 40, and in alot of areas I hit 8-15 rather consistently which of course sucks... 30-40 is ok... its not great but it beats the pants offa 10

but my comp sucks anyway

p4 2.4, R9200 128MB, 512 ram.. I'm using the 5.4 cata with the 4.11 OGL in the kotor2 directory as well as the vertex buffer=1 bit.
I haven't overclocked my card due only to the fact that if I damage it I won't be able to replace it for at least a month

I'm grabbing another 512 ram and a geforce 6600 GT in august.. damn my broke self
Old 05-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #58
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

what, your not gonna go for and RX850?? wait, they don't offer that in an AGP 8x slot, do they? [/sarcasm]

but ya, i'd have to say that money is always an obstacle. still, if you're worried about damaging your card while overclocking, try using the ATI Tool. it has a nice feature that will safely overclock your card (by finding the 'sweet spot' between performance and too much heat). it might hold you over a bit till you get that new card.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #59
MasterIbis
Rookie

ty for the tip, I'll check it out

**edit** I got ATItool and was playing around with it. seems ok to me, I've OC it a little bit. I'll see whatI can get out of it :P

**edit2** default clock 250/200, the max I got without any artifacts was 290/220, this resulted in an avg increase of approx 10 fps in all my games with the exception of kotor2

is it really too much to ask for a consistent 30 fps?

Last edited by MasterIbis; 05-10-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #60
CTOAN
Rookie

Just a FYI-

I tried the Omega Drivers based off of the 5.4 Catalyst release and that seems to have resolved a lot of the graphical issues, especially the brightness. I would recommend anyone with ATI cards to try it and see the difference.

You can get them here

CTOAN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2005, 12:27 AM   #61
j3di_sean
Rookie

Just for the fun of it I tried doing the same thing for Kotor1, for example. I have Catalyst 5.4 installed but I put int the 4.7atioglxx in the game folder. It has no effect on the game, meaning there ain't no glow...

I just downloaded the omega drivers and am going to check it out afterwards.

Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior. He died on the cross for all our sins because He loves all of us very much!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #62
zac84eg
Lurker

gamma issues

i am having a similar problem as the above mentioned gamma problem, but it is in game. when ever i start the game or go to a cutscreen the screen gets very dark, though the gamma slider dosnt move. i can fix it manually each time by moving the slider a bit, but this is a very annoying bug...

i have tried editing the swini to set it higher, which worked the first time, but it still went dark at cutscreens and the next time i started the game

my specs:
windows xp pro
intel pentium 4 2.8ghz
1gig ram
radeon 9600 256mb

thanks for any help you can give
zac84eg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #63
A-Dark-Power
Lurker

Thanks for this guide! I had problems with my ATI Card and the Dantooine Planet and now they both work fine. Thanks once again
A-Dark-Power is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2005, 08:26 PM   #64
theeautomator
Lurker

Unhappy A slightly different graphics problem (TSL w/ ATI)

2.) Edit the "swkotor2.ini" file

"Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" works for more than just Dantooine lag while using ATI cards. I was experiencing a slightly different kind of framerate drop in all areas of KotOR2:TSL. The Dantooine lag on KotOR1 was much more severe for me, and it only happened on Dantooine. The framerate drop I experienced in KotOR2:TSL was not as severe, but it happened in every single area of the game up to Telos, and I was able to fix it while in-game. This problem even happened during the minigame racing.

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I was running KotOR2:TSL on highest resolution, AA, and AF settings very smoothly. I'm using the latest Omega Driver.

Problem: I ran the game just fine, but every time I loaded a new area, my framerate dropped (No matter what settings I was using). This applied to any area change - in and out of a small room, or in and out of a large opening. The size of the area did not seem to affect the severity of the lag.

The way I dealt with this problem in-game was by:

1. Going to the in-game graphics options.
2. Making some type of graphics change. Any change - it didn't matter. For example, changing AF from 16x to 8x or vice versa.
3. Pressing OK, and resuming game.

That completely removed the frame lag. For some reason switching my graphics settings back and forth solved the problem, but I had to do ths every single time I loaded into a new area - very annoying. I don't really understand why that happened, though. This problem only happened this way in KotOR2:TSL. In KotOR1, when I attempted to change my graphics settings in game on Dantooine to remedy the lag, there were no good results.

You may want to include in the original post that changing the swkotor2.ini file completely fixes this specific problem I was having, not just on Dantooine. Also, if anyone knows the cause of the problem I was having, I'd like to learn what it is.

Edit: I re-read and realized my last paragraph wasn't very clear. This problem I was having was on Peragus and Telos, I didn't even make it to Dantooine before I fixed it. "The Dantooine Fix" title was misleading to me, and I'm sure to many other people who aren't very familiar with this game or forum if they are experiencing similar problems as I am. Basically, editing the kotor2.ini files fixes a lot of issues, as you just mentioned. That's not detailed in the original post though, which causes confusion to anyone who doesn't read past the first page.

Last edited by theeautomator; 09-27-2005 at 07:30 AM.
theeautomator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2005, 11:54 PM   #65
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

actually, i've never heard of that problem. in my own personal testing on my machine, i've never encountered that problem. i do know that the Lag Fix gives me a 6-7 fps boost on both games which is why i use it.

as far as my own personal diagnosis, well, it sounds like the game wasn't re-applying the graphics settings everytime you loaded a new module. so whenever you went and changed something, you forced the game to re-apply all the graphics settings, and thus return your framerate to normal. either way, its a great all around fix for the graphics, and apparently fixed an odd problem on your system.

and in case your wondering, my specs are:

Athlon 3200XP
Radeon 9700 Pro (oc @ 365 core & 340 mem)
1 GB DDR333 RAM
Audigy2 sound card

Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #66
Drinking Sith
Rookie

Im stuck at dantoine i cant get out of the Ebon Hawk the screen just go black i have tryed Reinstalling putted the congfiguration on its lowest downloaded latest drivers Nothing works!
Guess my game is ****d up
Drinking Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #67
MasterIbis
Rookie

5.9 cats, if you don't know they've been released and are claimed that they fix the dantooine lag Finally. hey guess what they're right it does. woot. but also.. I'm one of those people who've had major problems with terrible framerates everywhere, however in a lot of areas nbow (after 5.9) I'm getting much more tolerable fps. in some areas I was getting 15 or so fps and now I'm getting on average 25, some places still slow too a crawl but they are few and far between now... finally I can play kotor2 and actually enjoy it for a change
Old 10-02-2005, 02:20 AM   #68
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

yeah, the 5.9 cats are supposed to be a bit more 'streamlined' than the previous drivers. my understanding is that you should see a bit of a performance boost in almost every game you own just by upgrading the drivers. i have yet to test them as i've been busy with school, but i'll get around to the testing probably sometime this week. if you want updates, i'll let you know.

Old 10-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #69
MasterIbis
Rookie

hey stinger, you use the omega's right?... I know they released the 5.9 omega's so check em out when you get a chance and post up on em
Old 10-22-2005, 05:02 PM   #70
CTOAN
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterIbis
hey stinger, you use the omega's right?... I know they released the 5.9 omega's so check em out when you get a chance and post up on em
I tried the Omega 5.9's today with KOTOR; KOTOR runs great in Dantooine now. I'll check TSL later if I get the chance.

CTOAN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2005, 01:15 AM   #71
Ice88
Rookie

All the new ATI drivers have had the fix done which should mean the Omegas and Starstorm drivers should all work
Ice88 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #72
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Ok, now I have a problem. Whenever I try to start TSL, right when the tutorial should play the screen goes black. I can't download the ATI driver, as it says I don't have the software installed! BUT I DO! IT'S REALLY PISSING ME OFF!!!!

Last edited by The Doctor; 02-04-2006 at 01:17 PM.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #73
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

when all else fails, install the Omega Drivers. they'll give you better performance, better stability, and you don't have to worry about wierd software bugs like the one you have.

Old 02-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #74
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
This is going to sound stupid, but all I can do there is buy actual graphics cards. Where can I get the drivers I need from that site?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #75
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

goto the quick menu on the left, and click on the 'ATI Radeon Omega Drivers' link. in the next page, choose your OS from the top list (either Win. XP/2000 or ME/98). from there, you'll get a page listing the mirrors that you can download the drivers from.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #76
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 

When I extract everything, shouldn't it run the setup? I go to the path it extracts the files to (in this case, C: Documents and Settings/Owner/Local Settings/) only to find that there is no folder known as Local Settings. I try to create one, and it says there is a folder named Local Settings in existance, and that I need to name it something else. WTF?!?!?!?

EDIT: Never mind. I created a new path for the file to go to, and it worked fine. I am, however, worried that my Local Settings folder seems to be MIA. What could I do to resolve this issue?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #77
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
I just downloaded the .exe, and just ran it. I have never faced the problems you describe though.
Maybe you could try and open it in another browser orso.

This is the D-load link i used for the newest Catalyst: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...questionID=640

You need to download frameworks too btw.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #78
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
I have frameworks. The Omega Driver is the only one that would install. The ATI wouldn't run. It said I didn't have the required software, even though I do.

EDIT: Thanks, Stingerhs. It works fine now!

Last edited by The Doctor; 02-06-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #79
Reclaimer
Loves Keira Knightley.

I use OpenGL, but the download for the 4.11 doesn't work. What should I do?

philla は陰茎のハハのwat の名前をであるそのlmfao のゲイの名前吸う
Reclaimer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #80
whthehck
Rookie

I have the 6.2 catalyst driver with a radeon 9200 agp card, and the game woln't let me turn on frame buffer effects. Any ideas?
whthehck is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > TSL: ATI driver issues and Dantooine Lag Fix