lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dash Rendar.....
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #41
eastcoast2895

thanks for the welcome and thread resurrection. i wonder how long before it dies again.

do or do not there is no try - yoda
eastcoast2895 is offline   you may:
Old 03-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #42
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
heh. you can always expand the number of threads displayed , this will show alot of the recent topics which may interest you

feel free to partake in the trivia thread !!

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may:
Old 03-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #43
jedispy

Current Game: Metroid Prime 2
I sensed my name mentioned.

Yes I am working on the SOTE mod for Jedi Academy. Someone asked if the game was as official as the comics and book. The answer is yes it is. In the preface of the SOTE TPB, he explains how one can not truly get the SOTE experience unless they:
1. Read the novel
2. Read the comics
3. Play the game.

The reason for this is because the book comes from Luke, Leia, Xizor, and Vader's perspectives. The comics are more on the perspective of Boba Fett & Jix, as well as back side events of Darth Vader (hiring Jix), Xizor (sitting in on a second communication with Vader & Emperor), as well as Luke and others. The game is purely from Dash's perspective.

I thought the idea was really cool. I sometimes wonder what the events of ANH would be like seeing from other perspectives. It would be cool to see Wedge and Biggs' perspectives.

Anyway, yes as others have said, on the hardest level of the game you can see the final cut scene. I have never seen it merely because on the hardest level, it's @#$%ing hard. One shot with a stormtrooper blaster can kill you, even if at full health. The other thing, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to collect all of the challenge points too.

For more info on the SOTE mod, click on the links in my signature. (I'm going to put a better banner in it soon BTW)

Jedispy - SOTE Mod Administrator, server/technical administrator, mod author, forum admin/moderator, web administrator, programmer.
Click to read the latest SOTE MOD news
jedispy is offline   you may:
Old 03-21-2005, 03:04 AM   #44
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

I always used to enjoy hearing the rumours about the SOTE CG project...but with the offical announcement of the 2006 TV series, that rumour is all but dead

It was nice seeing the SOTE characters in the CCG though

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #45
jedispy

I still think they should do a SOTE CG movie. Of anything in EU, I think SOTE has the most potential to be an actual movie project. Other stories (like Splinter in the Mind's Eye, Vision of the Future, Truce at Bakura, etc...) are cute at best, but not really worthy of canonical recognition.

Sorry that this doesn't have anything to do with Dash Rendar, but has there been any more word on the TV series?

Anyway, Dash is cool. There...now we're back on topic.

Jedispy - SOTE Mod Administrator, server/technical administrator, mod author, forum admin/moderator, web administrator, programmer.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:10 AM   #46
eastcoast2895

just wanted to say as soon as i saw ur mod, i bookmarked the page. great idea on making the book scenes not in the original game.

dash is cool, wonder who'd win in a fight him or boba fett.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:35 PM   #47
jedispy

Well that's kind of up to you
spoiler:
In SOTE game, Dash and Boba Fett fight. We're going to make that fight occur in the SOTE mod.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #48
eastcoast2895

totally forgot about that level in the 64 game. still i wonder what would happen in a fight to the death or ship vs ship.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:01 PM   #49
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I only played the demo of SOTE. It had nice graphics (at the time, better than JK1) but the gameplay was kind of crappy IMHO. Sure, the ship flying (battle of hoth) level was fantastically fun (remember, this was before the Rogue Squadron series), but that's it.

Now it seems the Demo has problems on my system so I never played it again. I've never tried the full game, but I haven't seen it in stores. : P

I did read the comic and the novel (both of which I own), and even listened to the album (yes, there was an album).

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may:
Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #50
jedispy

Quote:
still i wonder what would happen in a fight to the death or ship vs ship.
1 on 1: I would put my money on Fett only because we have canonical footage. Plus Mandalorian armor is cool.

Ship to ship: My money goes with Outrider. The outrider is a more modern fighter with all the bells and whistles. Slave 1 is Boba Fett driving his daddy's 1956 Ford T-Bird right after it aired on MTV's Pimp My Ride. Looks cool, but still old. My Imperial credits would be on Outrider all the way. I could see Dash piloting and Leebo gunning from the turrets (or visa versa). Even if Boba Fett tried to fire a missile at him, the Outrider has enough instrumental precision to target missile weapons (ref SOTE novel). I think Outrider would B!^C# slap Slave 1.
Quote:
I only played the demo of SOTE
I have the N64 and PC versions. I like the PC version better. N64 came out first, and the cutscenes are rather lame. The PC version has actual 3d rendering and animation. They did a pretty good job at making Luke and Leia not look too retarded. Game play was pretty much the same, but graphics (textures) are better. The Outrider space battles are perhaps the best part of the game.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:41 AM   #51
MudRat_02
Rookie

To clear up some rumour, Dash Rendar does survive, the explanation being that he used his supreme piloting skills and made it look like he crashed but actually jumped to hyperspace (i think he may have launched a missile at the debris or something, cant remember. This is all in the fact file by memory) - the reasons being that he wished to get out of the rebellion line of work or something. He ends up with Guri, Xizor's human replica droid, who he doesnt realise is droid and by memory she doenst know she is either or something.

"If there is an Alien I havent met and killed, I havent met him and killed him yet...But i cant go it alone." - Zap Brannigan
MudRat_02 is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #52
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

hello Mudrat, welcome to the EU forum, nice to see another aussie.... and yes Dash didnt die, it has been *well* established now

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-16-2005, 07:38 AM   #53
MudRat_02
Rookie

Oh...lol...s'cuse me...It seemed everyone was debating that so i didnt bother reading the rest of the post ...hmmm...Hey, does anyone know if he makes an appearance in NJO? im 3/4 of the way thru the series

"If there is an Alien I havent met and killed, I havent met him and killed him yet...But i cant go it alone." - Zap Brannigan
MudRat_02 is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #54
benTantilles

SOTE is actually a great game. The demo is quite awful, honestly, and poorly represents the game in its totality. I mean, seriously, the Rogue Squadron battle of hoth was toooonnnness better.

No, SOTE is much better than its demo makes it out to be. The battle with Boba Fett, the infiltration of Coruscant, the swoop bike chase.... all pretty frickin good.

And yeah, Dash does survive. The comic series SOTE: Evolution, written by SOTE author Steve Perry himself, shows him on the last page of the last issue. Guri, the HRD whom the series focusses on, bumps into him in a bar, and he promptly buys her a drink....which, given the sort of guy Dash is- and the sort of "girl" Guri is (ho-ho-HOOTT!)- is just the sort of thing he'd do.

So yeah, he's alive. That doesn't necessarily contradict the book or original SOTe comic, though. After all, Dash isn't explicitly said to have died. Merely, like someone else on this thread said, everyone else THOUGHT he died. And in the comic series, all that was shown was a big explosion. It's perfectly plausible how a pilot as skilled as Dash would be able to cheat death like that. In fact, it's also perfectly plausible how he didn't announce his survival to Luke and the others so they could quit worrying- he was obviously growing quite attached to them, but he couldn't afford to get caught up in the whole intergalactic conflict, having freelancer principals and all. I'm sure he went off to wreck havoc in the Empire by himself.

Words of Appreciation from fans -"benT, for creating this thread you should be dipped in honey and auctioned on a gay website..... "
benTantilles is offline   you may:
Old 04-16-2005, 01:57 PM   #55
jedispy

Dash definitely does survive. Since my last posting, I beat the game on PC and N64. If you beat it right, there is a end cinematic where Dash and Leebo are travelling through hyperspace. Leebo asks Dash why he doesn't want anyone to they survived. Dash gives a few reasons, like the next head of Black Sun is apt to send every thug after them. The other reason is that it's good to be remembered as a martyr without having to actually die.

Dash lives.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #56
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Location: The good end of Ray's Gun, or the bad end of an AA gun
Quote:
Originally posted by MudRat_02
...Hey, does anyone know if he makes an appearance in NJO? im 3/4 of the way thru the series
My understanding is that a character is described, and the description matches Dash, but I don't think it is officially confirmed to be him. I have no clue when this happens, because I didn't notice it when I was reading it, I just read about it later.

Yeah, you'd think the Emperor had come back to life or something.
Shok_Tinoktin is offline   you may:
Old 04-17-2005, 05:33 AM   #57
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
My understanding is that a character is described, and the description matches Dash, but I don't think it is officially confirmed to be him. I have no clue when this happens, because I didn't notice it when I was reading it, I just read about it later.
Dash does turn up in post SOTE EU, but is never mentioned by name in the NJO. As Shok said, there is a description of someone that could very well be Dash.. just as there is a description of someone that could very well be Boba Fett

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 04-17-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:15 AM   #58
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
.. just as there is a descripotion of someone that could very well be Boba Fett
Except they make it much more clear that it is Boba Fett. I don't think that "Dash" is ever mentioned by name, but Han comes to the conclusion that it was Boba.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #59
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
... but Han comes to the conclusion that it was Boba.
of course he would. How many other dudes in Mandalorian armour has he come across IIRC Han never came across Jodo Kast, or that other chap either(name escapes)

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 04-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #60
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

But he also recognized the voice. He just didn't put the two together untill he saw the armor. And then the fact that they said Boba Fett and his new Mandalorians will play a part in Legacy of the Force implies that it officially was Boba. I'm pretty sure there is no official stance on whether or not it was Dash, and I'm also pretty sure his name is never mentioned in the book itself.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #61
Konar
Rookie

Dash dies in the book? Dangit! Now I have to read the whole book again cause I forgot everything...

Note for future reference, always play a game on hard mode if you possibly can. It won't only possibly unlock the hidden aspects of the storyline, but it may unlock hidden features aswell.

Some things are better left done and not talked about... Therefore I wish you good luck in the game, 'Shadows of the Empire', and even better luck if you contemplate passing the game on Jedi difficulty.

-- Dark Jedi Knight Konar Siosk-Baas of the Dark Jedi Brotherhood
Konar is offline   you may:
Old 11-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #62
Hootie
Rookie

Dash rendar does die in the game but i read that he was in the cantina 10 years later by jango fett 108

dash rendar was my favorite star wars dood tell jango fett and commander cody came along

I also like Ig88

who,s your favorite charcter from the whole saga

[ASTRO - Hootie, watch the spam ]

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 11-27-2005 at 08:32 AM.
Hootie is offline   you may:
Old 11-02-2005, 09:14 PM   #63
jedispy

Now that's just flat out spamming dude.

If you want to know the final say on Dash's fate, read this:
spoiler:
Dash Rendar survives. The book and comics do not specify whether or not he survives. Instead they only speculate. In the game, if you beat it on medium level, and safely make it out of the skyhook before it blows up, you see Dash Rendar alive and well flying away in hyperspace.
And my favorite character is still Luke Skywalker.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #64
eastcoast2895

also in shadow of the empire evolution comic books

spoiler:

dash is on the final page in a cantina and meets up with newly amenisic guri.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #65
Commander Dorn9
Lurker

Who the heck is he?

Who the heck is Dash Rendar? All i know is that he helped Luke Skywalker rescue the dashing princess leia from prince Xir- something. I don't know much about this so called pilot.
Commander Dorn9 is offline   you may:
Old 11-26-2005, 03:47 PM   #66
jedispy

All you need to know:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...dar/index.html

Old 11-27-2005, 05:40 AM   #67
benTantilles

"It would be cool to see Wedge and Biggs' perspectives."

Actually, the Darklighter arc from dark horse's Empire comic series featured the Battle of Yavin and other events from ANH as told from Biggs's perspective. it was quite well-done. The end of the arc was a bit of a tear-jerker, actually.

(sort of) on-topic:

how's the SOTE mod coming along, jedispy?

Words of Appreciation from fans -"benT, for creating this thread you should be dipped in honey and auctioned on a gay website..... "
benTantilles is offline   you may:
Old 11-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #68
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

*sigh*

someone has bumped the good ole Dash Rendar thread........ so tempted........to close it

I'll let it die naturally, for now........

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 11-27-2005, 08:43 PM   #69
jedispy

Honestly, I'm cool with the thread being closed. If people want to know more about Dash Rendar, just go to http://www.starwars.com/databank/cha...dar/index.html.

E Nuff said

Old 11-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #70
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Info about the fate of Dash has been posted in the new FAQs thread. Also, you can follow jedispys link

closaged yay !!!!!

Asinus asinum fricat
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Expanded Universe > Dash Rendar.....