lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Strange Writings on the Flags
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #41
Joetheeskimo
Statusless

Current Game: KotOR
Re: Strange Writings on the Flags

Quote:
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
While waiting for people to join an assault game, I decided to translate the writings on the hologram at the flags.
How did you? Is there a translator online, or what?

Joetheeskimo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2005, 01:37 PM   #42
BeBop
Rookie

I had to translate everything myself. Just found a page that had what each letter in Aurebesh (Star Wars writing all over the place) was, and then just compared it. Was a bit of tedious work till I got the hang of it. But there is no translator that I know of.

Tackle Cuddle!
BeBop is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #43
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Location: The good end of Ray's Gun, or the bad end of an AA gun
Re: Re: Strange Writings on the Flags

Quote:
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
How did you? Is there a translator online, or what?
Years ago, I got a copy of the Aurebesh symbols and the English equivilent printed on the back of Star Wars monopoly, and have since memorized it. So basically I just read what the flag said.
Shok_Tinoktin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #44
Renegade Angel
The Darkside Has Cookies!

Quote:
They were also printed in the SW Monopoly instruction book, and are memorized by some of us.

I'll check it out and see if I can find anything interesting.

EDIT: Found one! On the map 'Engine', there are signs posted all over that read: 'Regard: Too many right hand turns makes you go in a circle'.

Another: On the map 'Garden', in huge letters is 'Love' and 'XXX'.

On the map 'Lockdown' it says '11 Post' outside the red base, and '38 Main' outside the blue base. Wonder where they came up with those numbers?

I can't make any sense of this one: on the map 'Ghostship', written all over is 'DFSLKJE CDMEKKA FAE'. I assume it is just jibberish, but maybe it means something.

The last thing I found, is that on the map 'Gunship', there are symbols that are not in the aurebesh. They seem to form a 3 letter word and a 5 letter word. I suspect that it actually means something, because one symbol from the 3 letter word is also in the 5 letter word, and if they were making up symbols, I think they could make up 8 and not just 7. Maybe it is some Earth language?

Here is what they look like:
Heres a hint for Ghostship- Its either scrambled or stands for something.
First person to figure it out wins!
(I know what it says)

AND....................GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

98 percent of the teenage population has tried some type of drug or underage drinking at some point. Put this in your sig if you like potatoes.
Renegade Angel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 PM   #45
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

I hate guessing games, can't you just say what it is? I'm assuming it stands for something, because there doesn't seem to be enough vowels for it to be scrambled.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #46
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Cool Guy More sniper rifle progress

I've translated a bit more of it, and I'm pretty sure it forms (a) larger message(s). This is because of the overlap I've found between them. My theory is that it has (a) larger message(s), and randomly takes a piece of it to display every so often. If anyone wants to help me by posting more pieces, or trying to fit stuff together, please do. Here is what I've collected since the last time:

's view to be helpful I'd suggest either a Halo

10th, as my parents are taking a road trip acro

style 3D world position indicator or a 3D indicator at the top of the

imparment to comb I know we've revisited

lpful I'd suggest either a Halo style 3D world position indicator

I know we've revisited it a ton of times

the new objective elipse thing makes it really hard to

-------------------------------------------------

I'll edit my post after I try to piece some of this together.

EDIT: Here is what I have so far:

much of the player's view to be helpful I'd suggest either a Halo
style 3D world postition indicator or a 3D indicator at the top of
the Based on our revised project

this makes it really hard to see. It's a major imparment to comb I
know we've revisited it a ton of times

EDIT: Okay, I've translated some more of it, and this is what I have for sure:

the new objective elipse thing makes it really hard to see. It's a major imparment to comb I know we've revisited it a ton of times but it just blocks out too much of the player's view to be helpful I'd suggest either a Halo style 3D world postition indicator or a 3D indicator at the top of the Based on our revised project schedule and after talking with Chris, its apparent that it would be good

upcoming vacation by a week. Thus, I will be gone from Monday, September 20th

for 3 weeks, and will return on Monday.

riday, september 10th as my parents are taking a road trip acro

October 11th, however, I will still be out on

Now, considering that october 11th is three weeks after september 20th, im guessing it can be put together like this:

upcoming vacation by a week. Thus, I will be gone from Monday, September 20th for 3 weeks, and will return on Monday, October 11th, however, I will still be out on Friday, September 10th as my parents are taking a road trip across

Last edited by Shok_Tinoktin; 04-07-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:46 AM   #47
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Post Almost there...

I have found an overlap between the two parts. Assuming the second half is accurate (there was no overlap that would confirm it), all I should need it the ending. So far it reads:

The new objective elipse thing makes it really hard to see. It's a major imparment to comb I know we've revisited it a ton of times but it just blocks out too much of the player's view to be helpful I'd suggest either a Halo style 3D world postition indicator or a 2D indicator at the top of the Based on our revised project schedule and after talking with Chris, its apparent that it would be good for the project if I delayed my upcoming vacation by a week. Thus, I will be gone from Monday, September 20th for 3 weeks, and will return on Monday, October 11th, however, I will still be out on riday, september 10th as my parents are taking a road trip across...

EDIT: I have found overlaps to confirm that this is accurate. Now we just need the end.

Last edited by Shok_Tinoktin; 04-07-2005 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #48
BeBop
Rookie

Below is a post I posted in the first page of this topic. I didn't see the overlaps but I know I tranaslated all of it. The end of your missing piece is simply 'the country'

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBop

I know we ve revisited it a ton of time but it just locks out too much of the playe's view to be helpful. I'd suggest either a Halo style 3D world indicator or a 2D indicato at the top of the Based on our Revised project schedule, and after talking with chris, its apparent that it would be good for the project if I delayed my upcoming vacation by a week. Thus I will be gone from monday September 20th for 3 Weeks and will return on Monday, October 11th However, I will still be out on riday, September 10th as my parents are taking a road trip across the country. The new objective elipse thing makes it really hard to see it's a major imparment to comb. (restarts at beginning)

Tackle Cuddle!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #49
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Interesting. So the text when you get incapped is the same as what the sniper rifle displays? When you get incapped, does it give you all the text at once, or is it in small pieces? The sniper rifle gives text only a few lines at a time, and sometimes begins and ends mid-word.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #50
BeBop
Rookie

As Far as I've seen, every time you get incapped, it will display all of the text scrolling on the top right of the screen. It scrolls rather fast, but it's the exact same. (Even the missing letters it seems like 'riday')

Tackle Cuddle!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #51
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
For the guys who haven't memorized it, check out page 1 of this thread. I posted links to download the various fonts that are typically used. These star wars fonts can then be used to "translate" stuff assuming the game developers are using similar alphabets (if not the exact same ones!).

Many of those sites also post letter for letter translations.

See, all these fake alphabets do is take the 26 letter english alphabet and replace it letter for letter.

So it's more like a code, than a language.

So install the font, type out alphabet letter for letter in a word program, and print it out. Then hop into the maps and translate away!

Btw, the new "Hangar" map has some writing on the walls and stuff, I wonder what it says?

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #52
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
Btw, the new "Hangar" map has some writing on the walls and stuff, I wonder what it says?
Quote:
I've also translated what I could find on the new map. Nothing especially interesting (or intelligible) here. Aside from what has been seen in other places, this is what I found:

D FSLKJEDMEKWA FAS

F CDME

[mirror image of ME]ME
Plus there were some stuff that is also on other maps, like 'DFSLKJE CDMEKKA FAE' from Ghostship.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #53
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Thumbs up

Ok my bad, I glossed over "new map" when I should have read "Hangar."

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #54
BeBop
Rookie

Quote:
Another: On the map 'Garden', in huge letters is 'Love' and 'XXX'.
Okay, now the above words make a little more sense. While rather bored and just flying around in Spectator mode on the 'Garden' map, I noticed that on the blue team's side of the bridge, above that archway/entrance directly at the end of the bridge. (you know what I'm talking about right? You go through it, and turn right to head into the base.) There are in white lit letters the word; 'Hugs'. From the ground they are fairly difficult to spot. And I just stumbled on them by chance. A bunch of leaves almost cover them up. Backing up and looking at the whole wall it reads:

'Love hugs XXX'

Obviously the XXX is meant to imply kisses. Interestingly, the word hugs is not on the red team's side of the map.

Tackle Cuddle!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #55
noanswer42
Lurker

The writings referred to a couple of posts up seem to be really similar, maybe there is something to it. I tried going back a letter in teh alphabet for each one, but it probably isn't anything.
noanswer42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2005, 08:05 PM   #56
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

I finally got around to translating the main screen background. Here is what I got:

Looking forward to haging out _ _ and hearing more about trip back home. I'll be with Kash Fri and Sat. [wierd symbol]he sat sorta across from me at graduation party _ _ the san (maybe sian, this was hard to read) doctor dude. [same wierd symbol, but backwards] Sunday 'll be in PA for July 4th bbq - wanna do that again? 15 years later? Otherwise I'm not sure if I'll be back in city on Monday or stay down there since I do have that day off. . . let me know how things unfold for you.

Then it sort of repeats (some stuff is in a different order).

Is it just me, or did the people making this game travel a lot?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 PM   #57
BeBop
Rookie

Good work. Hmm wonder what that symbol is. Could be some symbol that didn't transfer well. Though I can't think of any. I know the Aurebesh Bracket... which is the only english symbol i could compare that to. Oh btw, looks like the text on the Sniper Rifle scrolls if you put it on an enemy or a friendly.

Tackle Cuddle!
Old 04-16-2005, 11:38 AM   #58
ManaMana
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by LukeKatarn
In your religion, sure, but in mine, yes you are born with a soul.
F*ck religion. Give me some proof instead !

Anyway, you could however discuss if a sole is you, or a sole is nother thing.

But this thread isnt the one where this should be discussed...

We will remember you, when you are sand to!

I hate the world.

Lord ManaMana of the Jawas
(Also known as Mort Rouge)

Oh, and one thing remains... KUPPO!
ManaMana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #59
LukeKatarn
Gundam Pilot

Yeah you're right. And to the people takeing vacation alot part, maybe that's why the game was held back! o_O Obviousley...

Luke Katarn, Colonel of the Lemmonite army.

Clan Commando, join us, and help the Republic! Visit our thread in the Republic Commando forums for more info.

Do you like RPing and have Jedi Academy? Then you should come to JARPing! (Jedi Academy Role Playing) www.freewebs.com/jarping

X-box live gamertag: LukeKatarn
My RPing site: http://voltx.proboards36.com/index.cgi
My aim SN: LukeKatarn
My e-mail: LukeKatarn@yahoo.com
LukeKatarn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2005, 02:33 AM   #60
Doomie
Do the Black Mage!

DFSLKJE CDMEKKA FAE and
D FSLKJEDMEKWA FAS Look a lot like eachother. Maybe there was a translation error?
Doomie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2005, 04:32 AM   #61
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

Good point. W and K do look very similar (especially when the letters are close together), as does E and S (although to a lesser extent). The missing C was most likely an error, and the different spacing was likely to make them look different. I'll check back and see if I can figure out which letters are most likely correct. If Chains would just tell us what he knows, then we could scratch these off the list of mysteries.

EDIT: I gave it a looksie, and I was definitely mistaken about the difference. The 'E' in Ghostship is definitely an S (have no clue how I messed that one up), the 'W/K' is impossible to determine for sure (im putting money on 'W'), the space between 'D' and 'F' is also difficult to conclusively determine, the other space was just a typo (my notes has it correctly), and the 'C' is definitely present.

Long story short, it is one of these:
DFSLKJE CDMEKWA FAS
DFSLKJE CDMEKKA FAS
D FSLKJE CDMEKWA FAS
D FSLKJE CDMEKKA FAS

Yeah, you'd think the Emperor had come back to life or something.

Last edited by Shok_Tinoktin; 04-18-2005 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #62
Renegade Angel
The Darkside Has Cookies!

Shoks gonna win!

98 percent of the teenage population has tried some type of drug or underage drinking at some point. Put this in your sig if you like potatoes.
Renegade Angel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2005, 11:07 PM   #63
Shok_Tinoktin
Ray's Gun Nut

If you aren't going to just tell us what it means, can you at least say which of the translations are correct? (although I think we would all prefer you just told us what it means, I know I would)

Yeah, you'd think the Emperor had come back to life or something.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #64
TK-425
Forumite

This is the best thread in the history of LF.

Anyway, I have a (stupid?) theory. Once we get everything translated, if you put it all together would it make a big long message?

TK-425 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #65
SlicerDude
Rookie

Wow, reminds me of the crates in Jedi Academy that say "crate" in Aurebesh. There were a few other things like that in JA, but nothing that looked like a designer's IM conversation...

"I hate computers so much" is quite amusing, though, coming from a video game.
SlicerDude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > RepublicCommando.Net > General Discussion > Reporting for Duty > Strange Writings on the Flags