lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: PS2 or XBOX version?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
momosuke
Lurker

PS2 or XBOX version?

I don't know which one to get
momosuke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Jake
INSANE

Current Game: Tales of MI
Old News! LFN Staff Member 
Xbox, hands down.
Jake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
The PS2 is just a less powerful console. Xbox is the way.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
Wasn't it originally XBOX exclusive?

itchythesamurai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

It was, yeah. The PS2 version is essentially a port of the Xbox version, which is being handled by a totally independent studio as far as I'm aware. The PS2 is less powerful, so the textures and such are likely to be downgraded to compenstate.

The PC version is still the superior beast, since it'll have smaller loading times, and the textures will presumably be used in their full resolution glory. The only niggle is the fact that a lot of people's PCs simply may not play it, so be sure to check before you buy.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
jokemaster
The master of jokes

Roleplayer 
What I'm worried about the controls on PC, because platformers seem to control better on consoles w/ analog stick than on keyboards. Anyone got any evidence to the contrary?

Vader's wife was very pregnant when she died 19 years ago. All of a sudden a 19 year old who is very strong in the force and has a distinct resembalance to him in his younger days rolls in from Vader's home planet with his old Master Obi-Wan (Who was the ONLY other person preset at the time his wife died. And to boot, the kid's last name is Skywalker.

So in answer to your question, he knew Luke was his son because his name is Darth Vader, and not Darth Retard.

-Forum post on why Vader knew Luke was his son.
jokemaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #7
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

No, you're absolutely correct. That's why a number of highly functional and comfortable PC gamepads, some of which are designed to work and look just like leading consoles' controllers, exist. There's even adapters out there which will allow you to plug your Xbox controllers straight into the PC via the USB port.

It's a pretty tricky situation. On the one hand, you need to get a gamepad to enjoy the controlling experience as muchj on the PC. But on the other hand, if you play it on the Xbox and enjoy its perfectly configured control setup, you suffer from slightly lesser graphics and higher load times.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:43 AM   #8
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...181308477&rd=1 - Example of PS2 controller to PC adapter. They're usually pretty cheap, so it could be worth getting one if you want to play Psychonauts on the PC with an anologue controller.

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2005, 05:36 AM   #9
Captain Gonzo
Rookie

I've been using a 'Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual Power' (USB), which is a force feedback dual analog and D-pad controller a lot like the standard Xbox gamepad. In fact it has a few extra buttons (two on the back and two extra triggers on the top). I got mine for about 13 on eBay.

So far that's been great, with full customisability for the axes' sensitivity, keyboard mappings, etc. Hopefully it will be good for Psychonauts on the PC, which is the version I've got pre-ordered.
Captain Gonzo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-03-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
I got me one of them, works pretty well for the few platform games I actually buy that can be used with analogue controllers.

Even still, I've never had any beef with the WASD controlling method if that's the way I have to go.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #11
Poe-Sister
Lurker

Good old PS2 version for me! Maybe because I don't have an Xbox. _x Though.. I wouldn't mind getting one sooner or later. Goooooo Halo!

Last edited by Poe-Sister; 04-05-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Poe-Sister is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2005, 09:22 PM   #12
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hold on for a while if money is your concern, the Xbox 2 is supposed to be coming before long (read: before 2006). When that happens the originals will probably go right down in price.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
Poe-Sister
Lurker

yeah...

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrik
Hold on for a while if money is your concern, the Xbox 2 is supposed to be coming before long (read: before 2006). When that happens the originals will probably go right down in price.
I'm not sure though... I heard that a Final Fantasy game was being made for the Xbox2 only... Well, 2 FF games acutaly. I bet they're going to be awesome!
Old 04-07-2005, 08:13 PM   #14
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
I thought the deal was that the guy who made the Final Fantasy games now work for Microsoft. I'm probably wrong.

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #15
Poe-Sister
Lurker

Hmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by RemiO
I thought the deal was that the guy who made the Final Fantasy games now work for Microsoft. I'm probably wrong.
I'm not so sure... You maybe right. All I know is that they said that 2 Xbox ONLY FF games were being made for the next gen Xbox. One light and "cartoony" and the other very realistic.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Psychonauts Discussion at Razputin's Domain > Razputin's Domain Forums > Whispering Rock Lakeside Chat > PS2 or XBOX version?