lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Voice acting
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-04-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
Poe-Sister
Lurker

Question Voice acting

My mother and I got into a fight about the voice actor for Raz... I think that the guy who plays Invader Zim is also doing the voice for Raz.. But my other thinks not. I've looked, but there aren't many sites to this awesomely cool looking game. Please, if anyone knows where I might find some cold hard facts as to the real voice actor I'd love you forever! ^__^x Thanks a lot!
Poe-Sister is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
It's the same voice actor that does Invader Zim. Tim talks a bit about it in the GameSpot GameOn video which razputin.net linked too.

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

You can look it up on imdb, too:
Psychonauts game
Richard Steven Horvitz actor
Invader ZIM TV series

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
He's in the Angry Beavers too. I was watching an episode with my little brother, and at certain points the lighter beaver totally sounds just like Raz. It's great.

Then my brother spills his drink all over me and the moment passes.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Actually it's the darker beaver (the weird one) according to imdb, unless I've got my beavers mixed up (we wont go there), I haven't seen the Angry beavers in a few years now.. Go here for his acting credits, turns out he's done a lot. (sometimes under a differnet name... must be an actors guild thing)

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Er, yeah, sorry. I meant the dark one. The one with the really deep (and also cool) voice is the lighter one.

For some reason I was actually imagining the colours being swapped around, but the correct beavers.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Poe-Sister
Lurker

I KNEW IT!!!!

That's great people! Thanks a lot!
Yeah, I loved the Angery Beavers. It was my favorite show for a while. Dagit (the darker one) was my favorite... But I liked Norbert's girl friend too, Tree flower I think it was, ... Er... *feels like a geek*
When she gets home from work I"m going to rub it in her face. Oh yes, what fun. Thanks again!

Last edited by Poe-Sister; 04-05-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Poe-Sister is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
trOmme
Rookie

Internet Movie Database

trOmme is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
pond_scumm

Anyone thats a Cowboy Bebop fan, the guy who did the voice of the G-men in Boyd's mind (Steve Blum) also did the voice of Spike. I thought it was pretty cool anyway
pond_scumm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #10
Prosky
Rookie

Richard Horvits was also Alpha Five, the robot on the Power Rangers!
Prosky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #11
Gabez

Wow! Alpha 5 was awesome!

"Ai ai ai ai ai" - that's what he used to say!
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
amishler

In the manual's voice credits, the actor for "Crispin Whytehead" is listed as Dwight Schultz. I haven't come across this character in the game, and the Psychonauts IMDb listing is pretty sparse, so I can't confirm it, but if it's the Dwight Schultz I'm thinking about, it's the guy who played "Howling Mad" Murdock on the A-Team and Reg "I had a holodeck affair with Deanna Troi" Barclay on Star Trek: The Next Generation. He's done a lot of video game and animation voice-work over the years, so I'm guessing that it is him.

If it wasn't for them, you'd be speaking French now. Shame on you, ungrateful cow.
amishler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Watching the credits in the demo, I came across the name Earl Boen as a voice. Can't remember the character, but for those who don't know, that was the voice of LeChuck.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #14
pond_scumm

oh yeah, pretty obvious one I forgot to mention. Alan Blumenfeld, the guy who did Boyd.... He's Glottis
pond_scumm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2005, 08:04 PM   #15
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
The guy who voiced LeChuck also voiced
spoiler:
Oleander's dad, The Butcher
. I was ecstatic to hear that voice. The whole Spike/G-men thing is totally sweet too.

Last edited by Jake; 04-27-2005 at 10:55 PM.
itchythesamurai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2005, 10:33 PM   #16
Todd S Gallows
Lurker

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by itchythesamurai
spoiler:
Oleander's dad, The Butcher.
Spoiler... Explains a lot...

Last edited by Jake; 04-27-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Todd S Gallows is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2005, 03:12 AM   #17
AgentJess
Rookie

I love that Richard Horvitz played Raz, for reasons other than Invader Zim being my favorite cartoon, right next to The Angry Beavers... He's perfect as Raz. I really can't think of someone to fit him better. And Richard has alot of talent, too... he's my favorite cartoon voiceactor. When I first found out it was him that played Raz, I flipped out and got all hyper. And I love the quote in my sig because, well... it's something I've never heard Richard say before. And it's hilarious. Does Raz swear anymore in the game, after that?

"I think it's just great that you could take the ass-kicking I handed to you and turn it into something positive... like gardening." Raz
AgentJess is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #18
Mystrunner
Lurker

*Slams hand down on table, grins madly.*

I knew I recognized Spike's voice in there! All the more reason to get those sound files!
Mystrunner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #19
Plankhead
Rookie

I was actually kind of surprised when I found out that Horvitz is actually in his thirties. He has quite a talent for, um, "youthenizing" his voice.

But all the voice actors are excellent. It's a shame that most of them are only B-list celebrities, because Schafer's writing seems to bring out an extreme amount of talent in anyone.

Though I was disappointed that Tony Plana (who voiced Manny) never made a cameo somewhere. That would have been great.
Plankhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2005, 04:13 PM   #20
AgentJess
Rookie

Wow, even I didn't know he was that old. ^^ I mean, I figured that he wasn't, like, 20 or anything...

And yeah, all the voice actors were pretty good. Better than alot of blockbuster games I've played.

"I think it's just great that you could take the ass-kicking I handed to you and turn it into something positive... like gardening." Raz
Old 05-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #21
Plankhead
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentJess
Wow, even I didn't know he was that old. ^^ I mean, I figured that he wasn't, like, 20 or anything...
Born in 1966, according to IMDB.

YOU'RE LIKE MOLASSES GOING UPHILL IN JANUARY...WITH CRUTCHES!
Plankhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #22
AgentJess
Rookie

Wow, he's nearly my dad's age. ^_^ Cool. So in the Invader Zim comentary, he's probably the oldest. (I know that Jhonen's only in his mid- to late- 20's.)

Old 07-29-2005, 06:34 AM   #23
FiercePook
Lurker

It's not so much that voice actors are "B" actors, it's just that they're...well, they're VOICE actors. They don't get a lot of noteriety usually, being behind the scenes and all, but it traditionally takes a whole different acting skill set to do cartoony voices than it does to, say, be in an Oscar-winning drama. That doesn't make voice actors worse, per se, just different

As for Richard Horvitz, I'll always remember him as the especially geeky kid in the movie Summer School with Mark Harmon back in the late 80's, and even then he was probably in his early 20's. So yes, he's older, and one of those people who gets a lot of voice work for his ability to sound younger. And cool!
FiercePook is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 01:59 AM   #24
Wing Area
Lurker

Haha, my mom loves the Angry Beavers so when I told her that Dagget was the voice for Raz she got excited. xD
Wing Area is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #25
Alphanaut64
Rookie

does anyone know if the voice actor who voiced Mikhail Bulgakov (a.k.a. the Russian kid with the big hat) did any other voices?

How's my levitation? call 1-800-PSYCHONAUTS
I am the thread poster,
I respond to threads so
you won't have to wait for days to get an answer.
NEVER FEAR THE THREAD POSTER IS HERE!
Alphanaut64 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2005, 04:44 PM   #26
TyraaRane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphanaut64
does anyone know if the voice actor who voiced Mikhail Bulgakov (a.k.a. the Russian kid with the big hat) did any other voices?
According to the credits he was also one of the lungfish zealots. Not sure which one, though.
TyraaRane is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2005, 10:26 AM   #27
Zetz Darke
Forumite

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiO
It's the same voice actor that does Invader Zim. Tim talks a bit about it in the GameSpot GameOn video which razputin.net linked too.
HAHA! I knew it! This was extraordinarily odd for me though, because before I was able to finally rent this game (I've been looking for it since it came out.) I rented Destroy All Humans to pass time and one of the characters in that is talked by him as well. I guess he's getting a lot of video game work.
Zetz Darke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2005, 10:29 AM   #28
Zetz Darke
Forumite

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankhead
I was actually kind of surprised when I found out that Horvitz is actually in his thirties. He has quite a talent for, um, "youthenizing" his voice.

But all the voice actors are excellent. It's a shame that most of them are only B-list celebrities, because Schafer's writing seems to bring out an extreme amount of talent in anyone.

Though I was disappointed that Tony Plana (who voiced Manny) never made a cameo somewhere. That would have been great.
I loved the voice actors in this game. It was really refreshing. Most of the time in games all of the actors really suck and it really ruins the whole experience.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:57 PM   #29
Smon
Bizarro

Current Game: Mega Man
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Other notable facts:
Nick Rapp(voice of Lili and the flower actors) also does the voice of many sims.
Nick Jameson(Oleander) has done over 70 parts in his life.
Something weird... I thought Vodello's voice actor was Lola Caricola from CatDog... turns out I was sorta right... Lola from catdog is also the voice of DOGEN. Hehehe... sorta funny really...
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2005, 07:58 PM   #30
Gruducuuz
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetz Darke
HAHA! I knew it! This was extraordinarily odd for me though, because before I was able to finally rent this game (I've been looking for it since it came out.) I rented Destroy All Humans to pass time and one of the characters in that is talked by him as well. I guess he's getting a lot of video game work.
Orthropox and one of the city crazies in the game.

The city crazy sound just like raz.
Gruducuuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #31
Zetz Darke
Forumite

Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruducuuz
Orthropox and one of the city crazies in the game.

The city crazy sound just like raz.
Too bad I didn't know that at the time. I would have listened for it. It was easy to tell with Orthopox, he sounded almost exactly like Invader Zim.

All he knew was that you couldn't hope to try for the big stuff, like world peace and happiness, but you might just about be able to achieve some tiny deed that'd make the world, in a small way, a better place.
Like shooting someone.
-Fifth Elephant

My Psychonauts Website: http://thornytowermentalhospital.bravehost.com/
Old 08-16-2005, 06:26 PM   #32
Smon
Bizarro

Current Game: Mega Man
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetz Darke
Too bad I didn't know that at the time. I would have listened for it. It was easy to tell with Orthopox, he sounded almost exactly like Invader Zim.
Scott from VGCats calls DAH! "Zim the Game" I think if Zim had a game it would probably similar to it.
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Psychonauts Discussion at Razputin's Domain > Razputin's Domain Forums > Whispering Rock Lakeside Chat > Voice acting