lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Outrageous newbie questions
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-28-2004, 05:20 AM   #1
Dooku's Brother
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
Outrageous newbie questions

Hi, and thanks for having a look at what may be a string of woefully pathetic questions.

I'm not a regular gamer. In fact I don't have any games on my computer now except Mike Oldfield's Tres Lunas and Maestro - and now Battlefront. The last week has been a lot of fun learning the game and just marveling at what's possible. But a few things have left me puzzled and I can't find answers in the very thin manual that comes with the game, or with the information at Lucas Arts. So perhaps some of you can help me.

And before I start on the questions let me point out that I've been playing exclusively in the Clone Wars on the side of the Republic.

First of all, replenishment. I notice those canisters lying about the battlefield and assume the ones with liquid replensih your health and the others replenish your ammo. Does simply walking or running over them pick them up? Or do you have to do something more active? I've noticed the droids sometimes drop these canisters when they die. Are the droid and republic ammo interchangable? Do the droids also drop health cansisters?


About posing. I've found how to crouch, buit is it possible to fire from a crouch? Is it possible to fire from a prone position?


About weapons. I've figured out how to toggle between primary and secondary weapons with the mouse dial, how to throw grenades, but how do you drop mines?


About jets. I've tried playing the trooper with the jet pack but haven't fiugured out how to make the guy fly.


All help very much appreciated. I've been playing all week in the Instant Action mode, largely just to get a feel for the game. Next week I've got a few days off work and nothing planned so I hope start on to a campaign then - at least once I get some of these questions sorted out!

Thanks for reading this far.

D's Bro
Dooku's Brother is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2004, 05:46 AM   #2
RebelScum!
Forumite
 
RebelScum!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Front Line next to Tk-8252
Posts: 600
Re: Outrageous newbie questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Dooku's Brother
Hi, and thanks for having a look at what may be a string of woefully pathetic questions.
Lol don't worry about it.


Quote:
First of all, replenishment. I notice those canisters lying about the battlefield and assume the ones with liquid replensih your health and the others replenish your ammo. 1.Does simply walking or running over them pick them up? Or do you have to do something more active? I've noticed the droids sometimes drop these canisters when they die. 2.Are the droid and republic ammo interchangable? 3.Do the republic also drop health cansisters?
Ok starting for the top going down...

1.Yes. Just walking over the health and ammo canisters does pick them up. But this is only when you need them
2.Yes. All the canisters on the field and usable by both sides.
3.Yes.When a person from and faction (Droids, Clones, Empire,Rebels) dies he, she or it leaves either a health, ammo or both.



Quote:
About posing. I've found how to crouch, buit is it possible to fire from a crouch? Is it possible to fire from a prone position?
Yes you can fire in both postions...But in the prone pose you can only fire when not moving.

Quote:
About weapons. I've figured out how to toggle between primary and secondary weapons with the mouse dial, how to throw grenades, but how do you drop mines?
Ok...First to change secondary weapons press G. After you do this you can press right-click to use them. 2ndly to drop mines you have to be a rocket trooper (Rebel Vanguard, Imperial Shock Trooper, Clone Arc Trooper or Droid ((CIS)) Assalut Droid).


Quote:
About jets. I've tried playing the trooper with the jet pack but haven't fiugured out how to make the guy fly.
To use the jet pack on the Imperial Dark Trooper or the Clone Jet Trooper just hit the space bar twice. (This may take a little while to get used to )

Hope I Helped!

RebelScum1/RebelScum!


Join the BBF

SWbattlefront name:RebelScum!
Check out my Site
Avatar by Astrotoy7
RebelScum! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2004, 05:50 AM   #3
Schetter
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 179
- Simply walk over the canisters to pick them up and the bonus will be automatically transferred to your health/ammo cache. Any ammo canister will add to your ammo cache regardless of who dropped it.

- Firing in crouched/prone position is not only possible, but it makes your shots a little more accurate.

- There is also a secondary weapon toggle key - default is either the F or G key (been a while since I've played...)

- To utilize the jet troopers jet ability (this also applies to the dark trooper on the Empire side), you jump once to get in the air and then quickly tap the jump key again to get the jet pack ignited.



techmonkey@excite.com
#twl_sw - irc.gamesurge.net
XFire - 194schetter
Schetter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester
 
Dagobahn Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 3,513
Current Game: First Strike
The first thing I do when getting a new game is reading the manual. And if I have a problem or question, I read the manual.

Nowadays, though, most manuals are half-heated and nobody reads them. Come on, play off-line a little before going on-line and read the dang manual!

Now, in the absence of those, it's of course possible and justifiable to be clueless. I played Battle field [Viet Nam] on an Internet cafe without the manual, and I still haven't figured out what the engineer's shovel does . If you have the manual, though, there's no excuse.

I have nothing against questions. Also, in nearly every game of GC I give tips to people. But when people ask such basic questions as "how do I take off" (BF VN Helicopter), that does tick me off.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #5
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nordic Europe
Posts: 3,378
10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle
The first thing I do when getting a new game is reading the manual. And if I have a problem or question, I read the manual.

Nowadays, though, most manuals are half-heated and nobody reads them. Come on, play off-line a little before going on-line and read the dang manual!

Now, in the absence of those, it's of course possible and justifiable to be clueless. I played Battle field [Viet Nam] on an Internet cafe without the manual, and I still haven't figured out what the engineer's shovel does . If you have the manual, though, there's no excuse.

I have nothing against questions. Also, in nearly every game of GC I give tips to people. But when people ask such basic questions as "how do I take off" (BF VN Helicopter), that does tick me off.
The Battlefront manual sucks. It doesn't explain how to use the jet pack, or how to use the Orbital Strikes

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
The SWBF manual does indeed lack a good deal of information. However there's a FAQ thread Stickied in this forum, which I recommend to anyone with "newbie" questions.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,324
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
The readme file that comes on the CD also provides some info that supplements the (paltry, unfortunately) info of the Manual.

Btw, I noticed (at least in 1.01, I haven't tried 1.1 yet) that in order to gain extra ammo, it was sometimes necessary to "reload" my weapon to fill up my ammo completely.

You can get health from standing near health droids (those tall gray cylindrical droids with the many robotic arms), and those bacta tank pickups can also be tossed by Pilots.

The ammo pickups (little gray boxes with red trim) likewise can be dropped by pilots and you can restore ammo by standing near Power Droids ("Gonk" the box shaped dude with the feet).

If you're wondering what those Astromech (R5) droids are for, they are for "healing" vehicles. Pilots can also heal vehicles with their "fusion cutter" tools.


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2004, 10:48 PM   #8
Dooku's Brother
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by Pho3nix
The Battlefront manual sucks. It doesn't explain how to use the jet pack, or how to use the Orbital Strikes
I think the manual writers assumed (correctly) that most consumers would be regular gamers. For those of us who are not sometimes even the simplest things need explaining.

When I found the manual was somewhat skimpy I checked LucasArts website, but there wasn't anything there either.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions - all of you.
Dooku's Brother is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
Dooku's Brother
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
The readme file that comes on the CD also provides some info that supplements the (paltry, unfortunately) info of the Manual.

Btw, I noticed (at least in 1.01, I haven't tried 1.1 yet) that in order to gain extra ammo, it was sometimes necessary to "reload" my weapon to fill up my ammo completely.

You can get health from standing near health droids (those tall gray cylindrical droids with the many robotic arms), and those bacta tank pickups can also be tossed by Pilots.

The ammo pickups (little gray boxes with red trim) likewise can be dropped by pilots and you can restore ammo by standing near Power Droids ("Gonk" the box shaped dude with the feet).

If you're wondering what those Astromech (R5) droids are for, they are for "healing" vehicles. Pilots can also heal vehicles with their "fusion cutter" tools.


I already found that the pilots were helpful in topping up ammo and health, but this is the first I heard about the bots. I wondered why they were on every planet at every battle.

Thanks for the tip.
Dooku's Brother is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2004, 08:08 PM   #10
Dooku's Brother
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
saving a game

Here's another outrageous newbie question:

How do you save a game in Historical Campaign?

The manual says the game will automatically give you the option to save your game when completing a mission. Evertime I complete a mission I get the leader board, but I never see any chance to save.

What have I missed?

Please tell me because I'm sick of playing the same three missions in a row (that's usually the point at which I've had enough for one session).

Thanks for all your help guys.

DB
Dooku's Brother is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2004, 08:41 PM   #11
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
For the historical campaign there's an auto-save I believe. It will save after each battle you've won. That's what happened for me though perhaps you forgot to turn on a an option or something.


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2004, 12:44 AM   #12
Dooku's Brother
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
For the historical campaign there's an auto-save I believe. It will save after each battle you've won. That's what happened for me though perhaps you forgot to turn on a an option or something.
Thanks for taking the time to write.

I think I've figured it out. I've found the arrows that let you scroll through the completed maps when you launch HC.

But someone in another thread mentioned a "do want to save" screen. Am I the only one who's not seen this?

DB
Dooku's Brother is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2004, 12:51 AM   #13
Syzerian
Rookie
 
Syzerian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 229
The save option is only for galactic conquest


Syzerian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2004, 06:50 PM   #14
JediHunters
Rookie
 
JediHunters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kamino
Posts: 11
Re: Outrageous newbie questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Dooku's Brother
Hi, and thanks for having a look at what may be a string of woefully pathetic questions.
No problem, plus, I am sure we have all been asked way more stupid questions than this!

Quote:
[i]Thanks for reading this far.

D's Bro [/B]
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

I would have put my two cents in, but everyone answered...


Our Forums Site

Our Main Clan Site

Official Recruiter, Administrator, Moderator and Co-Leader of [TIN]
JediHunters is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #15
Dooku's Brother
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
More questions

1. How do you get the the guys carrying rocket launchers to lay mines?


2. How do you get the sniper to send out a recon droid? How do you call down an air assault on a target?


3. How do you toggle between haywire and concussion grenades for the clonetroopers?



Thanks!
Dooku's Brother is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #16
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Re: More questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Dooku's Brother
1. How do you get the the guys carrying rocket launchers to lay mines?


2. How do you get the sniper to send out a recon droid? How do you call down an air assault on a target?


3. How do you toggle between haywire and concussion grenades for the clonetroopers?



Thanks!
Read the FAQ.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #17
Jaden Malip
Junior Member
 
Jaden Malip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 280
Re: More questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Dooku's Brother
1. How do you get the the guys carrying rocket launchers to lay mines?


2. How do you get the sniper to send out a recon droid? How do you call down an air assault on a target?


3. How do you toggle between haywire and concussion grenades for the clonetroopers?



Thanks!
1. Change to the mines (default is G if you're on PC) and then use secondary funtion.

2. Change secondary weapons, and then use secondary function to send it out. When it's out, hold down primary fire for long enough and it charges up and the big lasers come down.

3. Again, just change secondary weapon.

Hope that helped


I heard when you're a Super Mod, you get to kill people instead of banning them.
Jaden Malip is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 03:27 PM   #18
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
2. It's actually secondary fire. Primary fire fires the droid's pistol.


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 PM   #19
Dooku's Brother
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21
Re: Re: More questions

Quote:
Originally posted by TK-8252
Read the FAQ.
Not all the answers are there.
Dooku's Brother is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 07:59 PM   #20
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Re: Re: Re: More questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Dooku's Brother
Not all the answers are there.
Oops.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #21
tombomb
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 25
When i get it for xmas im gonna be a noob but if u have to play the game through game spy or any other program m dad wont get it so i would i like to no if u can acces online through the game on the main menu u know like other games and how many play online through the game
tombomb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2004, 10:10 AM   #22
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
If you're asking about an ingame browser, yes there is one, Gamespy Arcade is not required for multiplayer.


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #23
AT-ATNemesis
Rookie
 
AT-ATNemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In A Galaxy Far Far Away.....
Posts: 123
The Manual REALLY SUCKS!!
Because You can never find the info you need!
AT-ATNemesis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront > General Discussion > Outrageous newbie questions

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.