lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: monkey island 2 amiga vrsn for sale
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
stoeyed
Lurker
 
stoeyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: wood green north london, uk
Posts: 3
monkey island 2 amiga vrsn for sale

monkey island 2 lee chucks revenge amiga vrsn for sale £15.00 ovno boxed with 11 disks manual and code wheel

simon durham
21 gathorne road
wood green
london n22 5nd
uk

0208 888 6287


the best of luck
stoeyed is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
Alien426
'll take away your bucket
 
Alien426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the black
Posts: 2,037
Read this thread before you buy.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #3
stoeyed
Lurker
 
stoeyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: wood green north london, uk
Posts: 3
mi 2 4 sale

i have a new working disk 1 now 4 m12 amiga


the best of luck
stoeyed is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
westside8_20
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17
does anyone actually have amiga anymore??



westside8_20 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
I thiink I might, unless we sold it. 1200 it was, ah the memories.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
I have the Monkey Island Bounty Pack but I also have the the original Monkey Island 2 The Revenge of Le Chuck on the Amiga 600 boxed with the disks instructions and code wheel and I have the Amiga 600. I think the amiga version is alot better than the pc version.


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"

Last edited by Largo LaGrande; 03-02-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
Huz
Coconut in the lime
 
Huz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Space City
Posts: 1,032
10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
I think the amiga version is alot better than the pc version.
It isn't.


"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 02:36 AM   #8
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,250
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Well. The sound is.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #9
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Huz
Quote:
It isn't
I think the Amiga version is alot better than the PC version because it is the origional version it has better sound and music the game the graphics and the sound and music look and sound better because Monkey Island 2 was made for the Amiga.

Also the Amiga version is alot different to the Pc version there are diffrent ship wrecks under the bridge in the green glowing water in woodtick and there are alot of other things that the Amiga version has that the Pc version dosent. Also with the pc version you dont get the code wheel.



"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 09:02 AM   #10
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,250
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
It (the PC version) has, however, incredible 256 colours. More amazing is, how cool the Amiga version looks with only 32 colors. In fact I mostly play the Amiga versions just for the better (sounding) music and sound effects, i.e. the TFMX format used in SoMI for Amiga > AdLib on PC, no doubt.

But in the end I can't say there is a "better" version, since it's still the same game.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 AM   #11
Huz
Coconut in the lime
 
Huz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Space City
Posts: 1,032
10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
Huz

I think the Amiga version is alot better than the PC version because it is the origional version it has better sound and music the game the graphics and the sound and music look and sound better because Monkey Island 2 was made for the Amiga.

Also the Amiga version is alot different to the Pc version there are diffrent ship wrecks under the bridge in the green glowing water in woodtick and there are alot of other things that the Amiga version has that the Pc version dosent. Also with the pc version you dont get the code wheel.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it wasn't made "for" the Amiga, and the only reason Woodtick looks different is that the Amiga version is missing some extra objects in the foreground. Also, the music may sound better on the Amiga, but the PC version has more of it.

I don't really see how having to use a code wheel is a good thing, but anyway, the original PC release had it. Just like the budget Amiga release didn't.


"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2006, 07:15 AM   #12
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it wasn't made "for" the Amiga, and the only reason Woodtick looks different is that the Amiga version is missing some extra objects in the foreground. Also, the music may sound better on the Amiga, but the PC version has more of it.

I don't really see how having to use a code wheel is a good thing, but anyway, the original PC release had it. Just like the budget Amiga release didn't.
It was made for the amiga because at the time the amiga was more popular and thats why it has better music and sound on the Amiga and the graphics are amazing compared to the PC version.

The pc version now and at the time dosent sound half as good as the origional Amiga version and they changed alot of things for the PC version of woodtick its missing a ship wreck and other objects also the music and sound is not as good. And concidering its in 256 colour it dosent look any better than the amiga version.

The code wheel is awsome thats why the origional was better.


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
Alien426
'll take away your bucket
 
Alien426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the black
Posts: 2,037
It was made for the amiga because at the time the amiga was more popular

No, by "made for" we mean the original system.

Know thy Moby

The code wheel is awsome thats why the origional was better.

Besides using non-arguments and having sucky grammar, are you a total jerk, too? Open your eyes! 224 colors make a lot of difference in this case!

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #14
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Unhappy

(alien426 Quote)(are you a total jerk, too? Open your eyes! 224 colors make a lot of difference in this case!)

If your calling me a jerk for saying the 256 colours dosent makes no difference and I have proved with the screenshots it dosent then your a jerk too and this is you.

Go here http://www.scummbar.com/games/index....b=info&todo=19 and you will see screenshots from Monkey Island 2 revenge of Le Chuckfor the Amiga PC and mac the amiga versions 32 colours and you cant tell the diffrence so 256 colours makes no diffrence in this case.


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"

Last edited by Largo LaGrande; 03-04-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #15
Alien426
'll take away your bucket
 
Alien426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the black
Posts: 2,037
If you can't see a difference between the images, then you should seriously consider having your eyes tested by a doctor. The most obvious difference is the background. But a lot of other elements show much, much softer transitions between colors, too.

I don't want to ridicule you or anything, but you're quite young, aren't you? There is something we call 'backing up arguments' and you should learn about that some time, if you want to take part in discussions.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #16
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
I get the feeling that I should close this before it gets out of hand, but you two seem to be having a lot of fun, so I'll leave it for now.

Of course if that isn't the case, just let me know

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #17
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Alien 426 Quote(If you can't see a difference between the images, then you should seriously consider having your eyes tested by a doctor. The most obvious difference is the background. But a lot of other elements show much, much softer transitions between colors, too.)

Alien 426 Quote(I don't want to ridicule you or anything, but you're quite young, aren't you? There is something we call 'backing up arguments' and you should learn about that some time, if you want to take part in discussions.)


I am a bit older actually my era is Commodore 64, Nes, Mega Drive, Amiga 600, Mega CD, Panasonic 3DO and I Know the difference between 35 colours and 256 colours.

It is down to opinion which version of Monkey Island 2 Le Chucks Revenge you like best I like the Amiga version best.

Graphically the Amiga version and the PC version are identical the differences are very slight you would have to get Wally to use his cartographer skills to notice them and thatís because the backgrounds are hand painted.

And you can see how identical they are from these screen shots of the Amiga version and the PC version.

http://www.worldofmi.com/thegames/mo...x.php#Versions

Out of all the versions of Monkey Island 2 Le Chucks Revenge the Macintosh version has the only differences in backgrounds the wanted poster of Guybrush Threepwood is painted in black and white.

http://www.worldofmi.com/thegames/mo...x.php#Versions

I play the Amiga 600 version and the PC version and I play them all the time I like the Amiga version best because it has the better sound and Music.

"It's a great day for spitting!"


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"

Last edited by Largo LaGrande; 03-05-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #18
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
Out of all the versions of Monkey Island 2 Le Chucks Revenge the Macintosh version has the only differences in backgrounds the wanted poster of Guybrush Threepwood is painted in black and white.
FYI, that has nothing to do with the difference between having 32 colours and 256 colours. With 256 colours, the colours tend to blend a lot more. In the pictures you linked to on the scummbar site, if you look at the night sky in the PC version and the night sky in the amiga version (or even the water), you can tell, as clear as day, that the colours blend a lot more. Considering all backgrounds came from originally hand painted pictures, that would mean that 256 colours is actually better. But as you say, it is really down to preferance.


Last edited by Joshi; 03-05-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #19
Huz
Coconut in the lime
 
Huz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Space City
Posts: 1,032
10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
And you can see how identical they are from these screen shots of the Amiga version and the PC version.

http://www.worldofmi.com/thegames/mo...x.php#Versions

Out of all the versions of Monkey Island 2 Le Chucks Revenge the Macintosh version has the only differences in backgrounds the wanted poster of Guybrush Threepwood is painted in black and white.
Closer inspection will reveal that the Amiga and PC screenshots on this page are literally the same image. I don't know if this is a mistake or laziness on the part of WorldofMI, but the scene isn't identical across platforms in reality!

The graphical differences are very much apparent in the screenshots from the SCUMM Bar. The fact the backgrounds are hand-painted makes no difference. A scanned image reproduced in 32 colours (fewer, actually, since some of the colours go on the inventory) is always going to look inferior to one reproduced in 256. There's a reason we have 32-bit graphics nowadays...

Anyway, I understand what you're saying about it being a matter of choice. The Amiga version has a special place in my heart, too, and the music is great. But arguing that aspects of the Amiga version are technically "better" or even "the same" when they clearly aren't is a bit silly.


"I once ate a teabag" - Thrik
The Huz Experience
Huz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #20
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Again this is down to personal preference if we were comparing 2 versions of any other game one 32 colours and one 256 colours I would agree with you that the 256 colour version is best. But with Monkey Island 2 the difference between the Amiga 32 colour version and the PC 256 colour version is very slight because of them been hand painted.

And those screen shots on World of Monkey Island website showing comparisons of what Phatt Island look like on all versions are the actual screen shots from all those individual versions. I there really is not any difference between the Screen Shots on Amiga and the PC.

http://www.worldofmi.com/thegames/monkey2/version.gif

I also have both the Amiga version and the PC version and I have run my Amiga 600 along side the PC using 2 screens I compared the 2 versions and there really is not any major differences because of the hand painted scenery being such a clever technique and although the pc has 256 colours you really donít need all those colours for monkey Island 2 32 colours is more than enough.

I like the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2 best because it has better sound and music because it sounded good on the Amiga 600. In the PC version the sound and music dosent sound as good because the PC had a better sound format and the sound and music format was changed to work on it.

But again everyone has there favourite version.


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"

Last edited by Largo LaGrande; 03-06-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #21
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,250
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Hmm. In Monkey Island 2 they used the iMuse(TM) thinger, which was developed for it (was it?). TFMX was only used in Monkey Island 1.


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #22
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Yes IMuse (TM) was for Monkey Island 2 the PC has to use emulators to work it some of the music was changed slightly for the PC.


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #23
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
I also have both the Amiga version and the PC version and I have run my Amiga 600 along side the PC using 2 screens I compared the 2 versions and there really is not any major differences because of the hand painted scenery being such a clever technique and although the pc has 256 colours you really donít need all those colours for monkey Island 2 32 colours is more than enough.
I really don't want to start and argument here, i just want to show you the facts. The Hand painted backgrounds really don't make a difference here. Here is one such hand painted background for MI2. You're currently viewing the original background painted for the game at whatever resolution you happen to be using on your computer, and as you can see, colours blend perfectly and the image can be seen as it was meant to be. Lowered to 256 colours, this obviously changes, the graphics in Monkey island (any version) shows this, it's all very pixelated and has a high contrast. But the contrast does noticably get higher when it goes down to 32 colours. Now if you can't see that, that's fine by me, I'm not going to ridicule you for that, but saying it's because the backgrounds were hand painted doesn't make much sense. Most people here seem to be able to tell the difference (and just for your information, the first 4 pictures on the page from worldofmi that you linked to are actually the exact same picture, the picture locations each point to the same address) between the ones on the scummbar so simply saying the graphics are the same doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
Yes IMuse (TM) was for Monkey Island 2 the PC has to use emulators to work it some of the music was changed slightly for the PC.
This thread might interest you if you like the music.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #24
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
I still disagree I play Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga 600 and the PC all the time and know both games very well and I know what every Island looks as if I lived there.

I have also run the PC version along side the Amiga 600 version and they look just the same minus objects that were taken out of the PC version such as ship wrecks candels ect and the different types of music and sound effects. There are very slight graphical differences in some areas but its very slight it isnt as pixely as you make out.

If we were comparing 2 versions of any other game one 32 colours and one 256 colours I would agree with you that the 256 colour version is best. But with Monkey Island 2 the difference between the Amiga 600 32 colour version and the PC 256 colour version is very slight.

Also I play the Amiga 600 and PC version of Monkey Island 2 all the time and the that link you show for the screen shot of the the ship at Woodtick is not how the graphics look on the un-emulated origional Amiga and PC versions of Monkey Island 2 the screen shot on the link you show are of an emulated version of Monkey Island 2 because the graphics format of that screen shot is in Super Eagle or Super 2x Sai and is not how the game looks in its origional format.

Im going to dissagree.


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"

Last edited by Largo LaGrande; 03-07-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #25
Alien426
'll take away your bucket
 
Alien426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the black
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
there really is not any difference between the Screen Shots on Amiga and the PC.

http://www.worldofmi.com/thegames/monkey2/version.gif

I also have both the Amiga version and the PC version and I have run my Amiga 600 along side the PC using 2 screens I compared the 2 versions and there really is not any major differences
The version.gif has 196 unique colors. I counted them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
I like the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2 best because it has better sound and music because it sounded good on the Amiga 600.
Then you better tell people that despite its "slightly" uglier graphics you like the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2 better, since you think the sound and music are superior.

You get people to think you are a very confused person.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #26
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,250
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
..
the screen shot on the link you show are of an emulated version of Monkey Island 2 because the graphics format of that screen shot is in Super Eagle or Super 2x Sai and is not how the game looks in its origional format
..
Hmm, I think it is rather something like the original background art, scanned in ultra-high resolution and 5432948723947 megazilitralliorion colours.

Alien counted them all, because he has no lifeonly 3 girlfriends atm. :P


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #27
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
Also I play the Amiga 600 and PC version of Monkey Island 2 all the time and the that link you show for the screen shot of the the ship at Woodtick is not how the graphics look on the un-emulated origional Amiga and PC versions of Monkey Island 2 the screen shot on the link you show are of an emulated version of Monkey Island 2 because the graphics format of that screen shot is in Super Eagle or Super 2x Sai and is not how the game looks in its origional format.
What exactly are you basing this on? Did you take the screenshot? Or have any information on the origin of this screenshot? Or is this just your basic guess that it was shot in Super Eagle or Super 2x? Having owned an Amiga, I know that at best, the Amiga 600 could only display 64 colours at half-tone, and even with the HAM technology, that was difficult to implement inside of a game, which is why the Amiga version of MI2 was released with 32 colours. Unless you're particular Amiga is suped up somehow or you have a 1200 instead of a 600, I doubt it could look similar.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2006, 08:04 AM   #28
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi
What exactly are you basing this on? Did you take the screenshot? Or have any information on the origin of this screenshot? Or is this just your basic guess that it was shot in Super Eagle or Super 2x? Having owned an Amiga, I know that at best, the Amiga 600 could only display 64 colours at half-tone, and even with the HAM technology, that was difficult to implement inside of a game, which is why the Amiga version of MI2 was released with 32 colours. Unless you're particular Amiga is suped up somehow or you have a 1200 instead of a 600, I doubt it could look similar.
I have an Amiga 600 and a Pc I play both the Amiga and the Pc version of Monkey Island 2 all the time, The Amiga version has 32 colours the Pc version has 256 but the differences between the 2 games are very slight. I have run both the Amiga version and the Pc version of Monkey Island 2 along side each other I have comapared backgrounds and unless you get wally to use his cartographer skills to notice them the differences are very slight there are graphical differences and I could point out every one of them but nothing major concidering the Pc has 256 colours.

I say the screen shot looks like it is running in Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X because Monkey Island 2 usually needs an emulator to make Monkey Island 2 run on the PC correctly. On the emulators you get the option of running it in Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X. Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X is a very distinctive style that you can notice and I have run it in Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X and it looks exactly the same thats why I say the screen shot looks like it is running in Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X. Also I have compared the Amiga and the PC version of Monkey Island 2 and they both look alot more pixely than that screen shot.

http://www.scummbar.com/imageviewer/.../concept/5.jpg

I like the Amiga version best because the sound is much better on the Amiga version than the PC version but thats down to personal preference.


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"

Last edited by Largo LaGrande; 03-09-2006 at 08:22 AM.
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2006, 09:07 AM   #29
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling
 
Thrik's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 4,202
Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I don't want to get involved in a "X is better than N!" argument, but you must be mental if you seriously think that the Amiga version is even remotely comparable to the PC with regards to definition of colour and detail ó you must have blurred vision if you cannot see the blatant lack of colour data.

I'm not maligning the Amiga version, and I do hold a special place for it as it was the first machine that I played Monkey Island 2 on back when it was hot, but to say that it is technically superior to the PC version is just delusive. Even without fancy filters, the difference is immediately noticable; I said that back when I first tried it, and I say that now.

I respect personal preference, but please, stop denying the superiority of the PC version on a strictly technical level; it is nonsense.

PS: The image that you included in your last post is, as Ray said, concept art. It is not a screenshot, it's the original painting before it was compressed for inclusion in the game.


Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #30
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
I say the screen shot looks like it is running in Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X because Monkey Island 2 usually needs an emulator to make Monkey Island 2 run on the PC correctly. On the emulators you get the option of running it in Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X. Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X is a very distinctive style that you can notice and I have run it in Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X and it looks exactly the same thats why I say the screen shot looks like it is running in Super Eagle or Super Sai 2X. Also I have compared the Amiga and the PC version of Monkey Island 2 and they both look alot more pixely than that screen shot.
Most people use SCUMMVM as an emulator for the game, and a lot use benny's SCUMMVM q+e as a front end for that. Graphics options for MI2 are:
1x Normal
2x Normal(default)
3x Normal
2x Sai
Super 2x Sai
Super Eagle
Advanced Mame 2x
Advanced Mame 3x
High Quality 2x
High Quality 3x
Tv 2x
Dotmatrix

Such emulators are only needed to run the games outside of anything higher than Windows 98, although even some XP machines run the game without an emulator (mine does, just without the sound) and it looks exactly the same as when I ran it on my old 95 machine all those years back. With the emulator, 2x Normal will give you the exact graphics given on release of the game for the PC.


Last edited by Joshi; 03-10-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2006, 03:04 AM   #31
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,250
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi
although even some XP machines run the game (mine does, just without the sound)
Try VDMSound then..?


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2006, 08:14 AM   #32
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
I meant without an emulator it works just fine without the sound. SCUMMVM q+e works to add sound (along with the smoother graphics of course). But I see how you got confused. I've edited the above post.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 AM   #33
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
I don't want to get involved in a "X is better than N!" argument, but you must be mental if you seriously think that the Amiga version is even remotely comparable to the PC with regards to definition of colour and detail ó you must have blurred vision if you cannot see the blatant lack of colour data.

I'm not maligning the Amiga version, and I do hold a special place for it as it was the first machine that I played Monkey Island 2 on back when it was hot, but to say that it is technically superior to the PC version is just delusive. Even without fancy filters, the difference is immediately noticable; I said that back when I first tried it, and I say that now.

I respect personal preference, but please, stop denying the superiority of the PC version on a strictly technical level; it is nonsense.

PS: The image that you included in your last post is, as Ray said, concept art. It is not a screenshot, it's the original painting before it was compressed for inclusion in the game.
Hi Thirk I never said the Amiga Version of Monkey Island 2 is better technically or it is technically superior to the PC version that is untrue. And I am not saying the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2 is best in regards to definition or colour and detail because that is untrue. And I am not denying the superiority of the PC version on a strictly technical level that is untrue.

Monkey Island 2 has always been my favourite Monkey Island game ever since I first saw it on GamesMaster. I first played Monkey Island 2 on the Amiga 600 and I like the Amiga version best.

I think the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2 is better based on Authenticity.

When Monkey Island 2 was released in 1991 the Amiga 500+ and Amiga 600 were the most common system and Pcs were very expensive being advanced for the time.

Monkey Island 2 looked how a 2D game should for the 2D Era on the Amiga in 1991. Also because the Amiga had the most common sound format for 1991 the music and sound in the Amiga version was better quality and sounded how it should have sounded for 1991 and it was how I-Muse wanted it to sound.

This is also backed up by the Quote at the Scumm Bar.
ďThe Amiga version featured better music quality, and smoother scrolling that the PC version. On the other hand, the PC version had more music and background animations/details.Ē
As Quoted by the Scumm Bar Quoted at http://www.scummbar.com/games/index....ub=info&todo=6

The Pc was too advanced for the time and it had a more advanced sound format and so I-Muse had to change the music and sound for the Pc Version so it could work on that type of format. And although the Pc had a better sound format technically, the music and sound made by I-Muse was not made for a more advanced sound format and didnít sound as good as the Amiga version. Although on the Pc you were compensated by more music for the Pc version.

To look at the Amiga and Pc version are very similar yes there is a difference obviously the Pc version has a higher resolution, definition and has better colour the blues are bluer ect. Also the Pc version is slightly less blocky than the Amiga version on the small details.

But in 1991 the Pcs were very expensive and very few gamers owned them Monkey Island 2 and most computer based games 2D ect were made with Amiga in mind because the Amiga was more popular and more common and thatís were games developers knew the money was to be made. Monkey Island 2 was changed in many ways to work on the Pc and it wasnít how it was meant to be authentically.

The Amiga version had the easy mode this was removed for the pc version also the code wheel used for unlocking the game were you had to create the correct potion to start the game was one of my favourite parts of the Amiga version. Objects were missing from the pc version like the ship in the water under the bridge in Woodtick. The Pc did get new objects added like the table and candles in the Swamp Rot Inn.

I like the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2 best.


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 05:28 AM   #34
elTee
beatnik
 
elTee's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Cheltenham, England
Posts: 2,911
The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
The Amiga version had the easy mode this was removed for the pc version also the code wheel used for unlocking the game were you had to create the correct potion to start the game was one of my favourite parts of the Amiga version.
I played Monkey Island 2 on a PC in 1993. First I entered the correct code to play the game using my MixnMojo wheel, then I selected a difficulty level.

I did not have an amiga.


LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 06:35 AM   #35
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
Hell, play the new CD version of MI2 through ScummVM and it bypasses the code put in to bypass the code wheel and difficulty setting, thus allowing you to see it today, on a PC.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #36
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling
 
Thrik's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 4,202
Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I understand your personal preference, but it seems daft to continually bring up the whole "authentic" argument. Monkey Island 2 was designed for a range of systems, and I doubt any one of them truly hit the vision that the designers had down to a tee. They were all slightly varied interpretations of it: the result of a team doing the best that they could with the technology of the day.

Although the PC music may differ a bit in arrangement, it's not like it was somebody else composing it. You act like it not being on the most popular system of the day makes it inferior or something, which is nonsense ó MI2 was not designed specifically for the Amiga. And, personally, I'd take being able to plug a better synth into the game and hear far higher instrument quality than it being on a more "authentic" system.

At the end of the day, it's simply down to preference ó I keep thinking that you'll agree on this, but then you throw in yet another silly comment about the Amiga being the authentic version or something. I totally respect that you might prefer it for nostalgic reasons or whatever, but when you spew out facts which are unjustified then I can't really agree.

PS: Please don't make me read a really long post again; I can't take it. Be concise!


Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #37
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
PS: Please don't make me read a really long post again; I can't take it. Be concise!
And if you are going to do that, please don't repeat yourself.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #38
Largo LaGrande
Rookie
 
Largo LaGrande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Woodtick
Posts: 136
Thirk I could only manage 459 words.

You said above ďThat you doubt any one of them truly hit the vision that the designers had down to a tee.Ē

Well I can tell you the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2 was at number one of the elspa gaming sales charts for most of 1991 and in and out of number one and the top 10 slots right up until 1995 so they obviously had the Amiga version down to a tea thatís for sure.

You also said ďAlthough the PC music may differ a bit in arrangement, it's not like it was somebody else composing itĒ.

I-Muse did the music for all versions, but the quality and the arrangement for the pc version differs a great deal from the Amiga and the Mac version. The Amiga and the Mac version have better quality music than the pc version thatís a fact and not opinion.

To be honest Thirk I donít care what people think I prefer to just accept other people opinions and enjoy playing games.

This is a post about a guy selling the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2.
I said I like the Amiga version best. I am then asked why I think the Amiga version is best, I was asked and so I give my reasons, my personal opinion and give valid points and back them up with real facts and other peopleís quotes like the one at the Scumm bar.

Unfortunately some find it hard to accept other peopleís opinions or personal preference of one of the most popular games Monkey Island 2. And that opinion is based on the opinion of the mass majority of gamers from the 1990's era who all owned the Amiga 500+ or Amiga 600 as their first computer.

And if some canít accept opinion then this is going to end up a silly Amiga Vs PC Argument isnít it.

Thirk dude youíre the silly one I said from the start its down to opinion and personal preference I was the first person in this entire post that said its down to opinion and personally preference so what the hell your saying I need convincing for I have no idea.

I am not trying to convince people the Amiga version is best. I was asked to why I think it is and I give my reasons thatís all. I donít like it for the nostalgic reasons although you do get that when you play it I like the Amiga version best then and still now I think the Amiga is the best version.

Ps: Joshi I love your ever non-constructive comments always reliable for a good laugh if you want I might just sing you "99 bottles of grog" or "I would rather be a pirate on Scabb" just for you.
"It's a great day for spitting!"


"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #39
Joshi
Registered Amuser
 
Joshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
Posts: 7,196
LFN Staff Member 
Sorry if my prorities differ from yours, but asking you not to spam seems pretty constructive to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo
You said above ďThat you doubt any one of them truly hit the vision that the designers had down to a tee.Ē

Well I can tell you the Amiga version of Monkey Island 2 was at number one of the elspa gaming sales charts for most of 1991 and in and out of number one and the top 10 slots right up until 1995 so they obviously had the Amiga version down to a tea thatís for sure.
Game sales have nothing to do with the original designers vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo
You also said ďAlthough the PC music may differ a bit in arrangement, it's not like it was somebody else composing itĒ.

I-Muse did the music for all versions, but the quality and the arrangement for the pc version differs a great deal from the Amiga and the Mac version. The Amiga and the Mac version have better quality music than the pc version thatís a fact and not opinion.
This has nothing to do with the music composition, the same tune was used in both versions of the game, only the quality was different. Yes, the Amiga version was better, but it wasn't a different tune from the PC version.

I can accept your opinion, I have nothing against you liking the Amiga version better, personally, I also like parts of it. It's only when you dream up bogus facts to support this. When in reality, you shouldn't have to support an opinion like that, please note, it wasn't me or Thrik who challenged this, next time someone asks why you like something, you really shouldn't have to prove yourself, tis your life.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #40
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]
 
Ray Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: digital
Posts: 8,250
10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
"Youch!"


Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > monkey island 2 amiga vrsn for sale

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.