lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Who is a better swordsman, Yoda or Mace Windu?
Yoda 29 42.65%
Mace Windu 39 57.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Best Swordsman?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #41
DarthTDe
Junior Member
 
DarthTDe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Computer
Posts: 270
That's a good point


Go ahead. Impress me. Do something intelligent.
DarthTDe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2005, 05:52 AM   #42
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
Moreover, Palpatine knew the Senate's building and how to exploit it in his advantage : Thus, he had a supplementary "trump card"...
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #43
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,431
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan
Moreover, Palpatine knew the Senate's building and how to exploit it in his advantage : Thus, he had a supplementary "trump card"...
That is a good point too. The results of the battle were more both of them fell but Palpatine caught onto something and Yoda didn't. While they were lightsaber fighting, Yoda could hold his own against him.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #44
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
Moreover, Shock Troopers (Led by the Commander Thire) weren't far of the Emperor...
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #45
Patomon5
Rookie
 
Patomon5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 89
This was mentioned before by Prime and for some reason passed over. Here is the link to the Star Wars Database EU which is the Official Star Wars website.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/ch...acewindu/?id=eu

The following is an excerpt, if anyone is too busy to go to the website:

In his day, Mace was one of the best lightsaber fighters of the Jedi order. It was said only two opponents ever bested him -- Yoda, and Dooku. Only the most skilled of the Jedi could master his Form VII discipline of combat -- the deadly technique known as vaapad -- for its aggressive nature treaded dangerously upon dark side practices.

Now, Let's take this one sentence at at time.
1. In his day,Mace was one the best lightsaber fighters of the Jedi order.
This is not in contention and does not need explaining.

2. It was said only two opponents ever bested him-Yoda,and Dooku.
Since this sentence directly follows the one above, and we are still
discussing lightsaber fighting, we must continue the thought that
the fighting revolved around lightsaber fighting, and that Mace is said to have been bested (defeated) by only 2 opponents. Yoda and Dooku. It does not mention that the defeats take place in kill or be killed combat. Since Yoda and Dooku are/were Jedi, we must assume the duels were tests of skill. It also does not say that the combats ended in stalemates but definate defeats. 2 in the loss column for Mace.This then tells us that Mace is good, but not quite good enough in lightsaber combat to defeat Yoda or Dooku.

We do know that Dooku fell back to using force powers when he could
no longer continue the saber duel in ATOC. Because of that, We must assume that Dooku thought Yoda would have defeated Dooku, if their saberduel had continued, thus Dooku broke the pillar in order to get away.

3. The rest of the paragraph is inconsequential, since it only denotes that
Vaapad, which Mace created, could only be mastered by the most skilled of the Jedi. Incidently any one with the skill and training could master Vaapad, and unless someone proves otherwise it would be incorrect to think only Mace can use Vaapad.

My Final conclusion, Yoda is best in sabercombat in the comparison between Yoda and Mace.


Head of S.I.T.H. has spoken.

Ash, "It's a trick. Get an axe."
Army of Darkness (1993)
Patomon5 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2005, 07:55 AM   #46
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
In the Expanded Universe, other Jedi master the Vaapad. (Not Sarapin's predator, but the 7th light-saber's form ! )
One is Master Sora Bulq, which fell to the Dark Side, and the other is Mace's Padawan : Depa Billaba...
According to some books, Depa was better than her master for light-saber skills, and especially for the Vaapad...
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2005, 11:19 AM   #47
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,322
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan
Moreover, Shock Troopers (Led by the Commander Thire) weren't far of the Emperor...
Bah, Yoda easily bested at least seven troopers by himself (Obi-Wan was fighting another group of 5 troopers and was thus occupied at the time), and that's after he foils the assasination attempt by that pair of clones on Kashyyk. I guess Yoda ran out of mana and that's why he ran... or something... though he did drop his lightsaber (no spares available at the temple for him to pick up??), still.

PS: I wouldn't use Clone Wars stuff as definitive evidence either, since the series is know to be full of exaggerations and caricatures (compare the power levels of characters and weapons in the series vs. the films for example).


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #48
Darth_Monkey11
Rookie
 
Darth_Monkey11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 32
Mace is the good swords man,
yoda is good by the force


Your Sig is too Big! Reduce to 80kb per image!
Darth_Monkey11 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-30-2005, 10:44 AM   #49
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Bah, Yoda easily bested at least seven troopers by himself (Obi-Wan was fighting another group of 5 troopers and was thus occupied at the time), and that's after he foils the assasination attempt by that pair of clones on Kashyyk. I guess Yoda ran out of mana and that's why he ran... or something... though he did drop his lightsaber (no spares available at the temple for him to pick up??), still.

PS: I wouldn't use Clone Wars stuff as definitive evidence either, since the series is know to be full of exaggerations and caricatures (compare the power levels of characters and weapons in the series vs. the films for example).
I don't think there was few Clones inside the Senate ; Many of them were inspecting building's basements or guarding surroundings... They were too occupied, that's all...
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #50
Blaze629
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 123
Mace is definitely the better swordsman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_dude
Well again we come back to the Emporer, he was defeated by Mace, Lucaas said that the Emporer did not give up he was simply defeated. Also in Attack of the Clones you see him easily blocking so many blaster shots, even when not looking or when jumping down from that platform he simply deflects them away. That right there shows his skill with a Lightsaber is unequaled.
I remember reading that too. Lucas did say this I remember in an interview. Can't remember if it was at hyperspace or somewhere else though arghh!!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMoeller
His lightsaber form, Juyo/Vaapaad, taps into the users anger to help. Mace is the only Jedi able to use that and not fall to the Dark Side.
Correct. This was in the book. That I can DEFINITELY verify. He waited for Palpatine to make the mistake and open up then, BANG!!!!!! He sprung his trap.
Blaze629 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2005, 09:02 AM   #51
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
What book ? Episode III's one ?
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #52
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,349
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze629
He waited for Palpatine to make the mistake and open up then, BANG!!!!!! He sprung his trap.
And then got pwned and thrown out the window.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #53
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
But at least, he had a nice visit of the city... (Even if it was the last one...)
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2005, 01:57 AM   #54
Kain
I'm a ghost
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,269
Current Game: Not so much.
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
I thought Mace was dead before he was even flung from the window..?
Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #55
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
Dead or not before his fall, the outcome stays the same...
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2005, 03:49 PM   #56
Kain
I'm a ghost
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,269
Current Game: Not so much.
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan
Dead or not before his fall, the outcome stays the same...
SPLAT!!!

Oh and as for the better swordsman - ME!
Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #57
Lord-Revan
Lurker
 
Lord-Revan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2
We all know the best swordsmen's where before Eps 1-6 like marco ragnos (sp?) and ajunta paul (sp?) windo wouldnt stand a chance Vs the old Saber masters



Lord-Revan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #58
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Revan
We all know the best swordsmen's where before Eps 1-6 like marco ragnos (sp?) and ajunta paul (sp?) windo wouldnt stand a chance Vs the old Saber masters
Not really, because even young Jaden in Jedi Academy could defeat Marka Ragnos.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #59
DarkMe
Rookie
 
DarkMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the Darkest place you can think of!
Posts: 36
^^^^^^^^
That's is so true...and Jaden is NOT a better swordsman than Windo or Yoda.
Yoda and Mace would kick there ass's off!!
DarkMe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2005, 05:39 PM   #60
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria
 
MachineCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Disneyland?
Posts: 2,657
Mace is the best, they both took the Darth Sidious test,
Yoda Failed
Mace Passed (Before Anakin interfered... the B*****D)
Leviathan, Wasn't Depa Billaba the Padawan who went mad in the battlefield?



"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2005, 01:35 PM   #61
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
Leviathan, wasn't Depa Billaba the Padawan who went mad in the battlefield?
What battle-field ?
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #62
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMe
^^^^^^^^
That's is so true...and Jaden is NOT a better swordsman than Windo or Yoda.
Yoda and Mace would kick there ass's off!!
Did you even read my post...

I said that no, those ancient Sith Lords are not that great, because even Jaden could beat Ragnos. Not saying that Jaden could best Yoda or Mace, but hey, he beat Kyle Katarn...
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2005, 04:59 PM   #63
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria
 
MachineCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Disneyland?
Posts: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan
What battle-field ?
I just remember reading that one of Mace's Padawans went mad during the clone wars.



"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2005, 10:45 AM   #64
TheExileReturns
Rookie
 
TheExileReturns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 70
Obi-Wan is the best at lightsaber, because if Dooku was one of the best- and Anakin beat Dooku-and then Obi-Wan absolutley f***'d up Anakin at the end of ROTS- then does that not make Obi-Wan the best?
TheExileReturns is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #65
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
I just remember reading that one of Mace's Padawans went mad during the clone wars.
What do you mean by "mad" ?...
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2005, 04:28 AM   #66
Ryozan
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 62
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYY


Ryozan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #67
Leviathan
Senior Member
 
Leviathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Onboard the Sun Crusher
Posts: 1,008
Well, I think you know that there are several degrees in madness...
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #68
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,349
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Depa did lose it, yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExileReturns
Obi-Wan is the best at lightsaber, because if Dooku was one of the best- and Anakin beat Dooku-and then Obi-Wan absolutley f***'d up Anakin at the end of ROTS- then does that not make Obi-Wan the best?
But Obi-Wan got owned by Dooku twice...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2005, 06:44 PM   #69
Blaze629
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExileReturns
Obi-Wan is the best at lightsaber, because if Dooku was one of the best- and Anakin beat Dooku-and then Obi-Wan absolutley f***'d up Anakin at the end of ROTS- then does that not make Obi-Wan the best?
Not necessarily. The fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin was MUCH more personal than the fight against Dooku. Obi-Wan won the fight because of Anakin's mistakes and his arrogance. Anakin helped his own defeat not to mention that Obi-Wan was STILL the master at that time.
Blaze629 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2005, 01:55 AM   #70
Cmdr. Cracken
Disciple of Megatron
 
Cmdr. Cracken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Rochester, NY, USA
Posts: 6,090
Current Game: Starcraft II,College
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
techinically, Anakin was a Knight. Clone Wars series, he was knighted by the Order.

He just kept calling Obi-WAn master out of habit.

Cmdr. Cracken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-19-2005, 02:16 AM   #71
Kain
I'm a ghost
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,269
Current Game: Not so much.
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
Well for one, we never got to see Vader v. Palpatine, and everyone seems to be forgetting about that. We also never got to see Vader v. Windu. And like Blaze said, Vader only lost because he was arrogant.

I think in a one on one life or death ego out the window fight, Vader may be able to take anyone pre-OT. And then obviously Luke, not that its fair since he's like master of everything involving the word 'Force'.
Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #72
Ast
Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2
Well - many people say, that Yoda was defeated by Sidious. I disagree - just look at the last moment, where they are fighting with the Force Lighting - and observe Palpatine's face - he knows, that he is about to lose. Then look, how are they standing on that platform in the senate - Yoda is closer to the end and is more likely to fall down. What actually happens, but Palpatine is standing more sure and has more chance not to fall down. I think, that long way down made Yoda exhausted (he was nearly 900 then )

I say Yoda. Not only because Windu was his former apprentice.
Ast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2005, 11:57 AM   #73
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Yoda lost.

Who's bragging to his Senate friends how he just scared off the most powerful Jedi Master, and who's crawling through a vent? Sorry but... Yoda lost!
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2005, 02:50 PM   #74
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard
 
Commander Obi-Wan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,363
Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
True Yoda did lose to Sidious....


Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #75
Ast
Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2
All right - even if, we are not talking about Yoda vs Palpatine, but Yoda vs Windu. My question is - what would have Windu done, if he had fought with Palpatine in the senate - he wasn't as strong in the Force as Yoda and IMO he could have had more problems with dealing with 'flying platforms'. On the other hand - I also think, Yoda could have won if he had fought Palpatine where Windu did.

I think that being strong in the Force is very important while fighting with other Force users...and I think I always liked Yoda more (eh, this style )
Ast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-23-2005, 04:48 PM   #76
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,322
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
We've only seen Anakin best two people in a saber duel... Dooku and Obi-Wan, and in the latter case his opponent threw the fight. So really we have only vague ideas of his force potential. He kills a bunch of kids and maybe some intructors off camera. The rest is speculation (or you'd have to rely on EU sources).


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #77
RaV™
I Came I Saw I Conquered
 
RaV™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On Top Of The World Baby
Posts: 1,490
Mace is the better swordsman, but Yoda is much stronger in the force.


http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6469/ssigvv2.gif
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
RaV™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2005, 04:18 AM   #78
Kensai
Rookie
 
Kensai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Here There And Eveywhere, I'm Omnipotent...
Posts: 185
Mace is the better swordamna, because he isn't computer animated.


Quote:
If I cannot bond myself to my context, I cannot bind myself to my presence.
Kensai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2005, 11:09 AM   #79
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,431
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai Rone
Mace is the better swordamna, because he isn't computer animated.
Because that's a justifiable reason and everything


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #80
redsaberpro
Lurker
 
redsaberpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8
Well, if you ask me, Anakin is the best, but if you're talking about the worst, that would be General Grievous, cause of not being able to remember the button combo for unsheathing his extra 2 arms and lightsabers.
redsaberpro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Best Swordsman?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.