lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Pure Pazaak: Standalone Multiplayer Pazaak!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 AM   #41
dufflover
Rookie

There are two common problems that players will almost certainly get during a network game (there are heaps of minor ones too). I'm suprised I never mentioned these earlier considering how often they occur:
1. "Double-turn" bug, where when one player is standing, the other will usually pick up two cards (two turns), even if they only click End Turn once. This then causes more problems with one player getting a different result to the other person and then the whole thing just screws up.
2. "Lost turn" bug, where the End Turn message doesn't reach the opponent and thus the game is stalled with both players waiting for each other.

If you don't play multiplayer then well, it doesn't matter to you (although I still think you should play some MP anyway).

dufflover is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-09-2005, 09:12 AM   #42
dufflover
Rookie

v1.1.3 Released

Version 1.1.3 Released
Quote:
Originally Posted by Changes:
- Feature: The last proposed network wager is now saved
- Feature: Network Arcade - network games in Arcade mode (all cards, no changes to player info)
- Fix: The "double-turn" network bug which occurs after a player stands seems fixed
- Fix: Tried to improve the detection of the "/quit" and "/disconnect" commands
Basically it fixes that Network double-turn bug and adds Arcade mode into Network play.

Here's the link to the website again:
http://purepazaak.k0m3k.net/

Feel free to continue posting comments or asking for help !

Old 11-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #43
furio
Rookie

Question

Arcade mode into Network Play? How does it work?

BTW, its great that you still work on this superb game of yours, thanks DUFF

Achuta, Jee Vopa Chuba Tah Kyotopa Mwa KoTOR's ultimate Guide. Du Magi Pa Che Mikiyuna Da Waba Tah Panwa KotOR.
furio is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 07:26 AM   #44
dufflover
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by furio
Arcade mode into Network Play? How does it work?

BTW, its great that you still work on this superb game of yours, thanks DUFF
Uhhh, well basically rather than play a network game with someone and both be stuck with a crappy K2 starter deck, this lets you play an Arcade style match where you got all the cards (match won't affect your stats though).

Just isn't enough of a supporter/player base to get regular net games for people and most people would play for fun and "screw winning credits" anyway.

btw as Darth333 stickies, feel free to comment on any aspect of the program.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #45
KaraPeters
Rookie

Opponent wins with lower score

I get a problem fairly frequently where I am standing with 19 or something like that, and my opponent goes over 20, then lays a card to lower the total, then draws again, gets a lower score than me, and wins anyway. For example, I'm standing on 19, he gets 23. He lays -6. He's at 17. He draws again and gets 1. Now he has 18. He wins.

Update: Nevermind. I just learned about the 9 cards and no bust rule. That explains why he wins sometimes when I have 19 and he has 18.

Last edited by KaraPeters; 11-18-2005 at 03:42 PM.
KaraPeters is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2005, 02:15 AM   #46
dufflover
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraPeters
Update: Nevermind. I just learned about the 9 cards and no bust rule. That explains why he wins sometimes when I have 19 and he has 18.
Deadeye Duncan I take it...

Anyway, thanks for playing.

Old 11-25-2005, 11:34 PM   #47
dufflover
Rookie

Version v1.1.4 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changes in v1.1.4
- Feature: Added the 3rd Bastila portrait from the K1 box art
- Feature: Added ability to display Custom portraits via an override system
- Feature: Added game speed option for those people who think it's *still* too slow :P
- Fix: Fixed top text bar of the K2 Select Cards screen
Since the custom picture thing is probably the most wanted and needs most explaining I'll quickly go through the other things first:
- this new version needs a full redownload again cos the Bastila pic and the K2 Select Cards background fix are stored in the data file.
- the speed setting has no effect in a network match (default: Normal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWUSS,Aug 7 2005, 07:57 AM
Can we insert our own picture? I wanna see how well TK-151 plays pazaak. And I'm pretty certain Darth Vader could win a few games
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangdriver05,Aug 7 2005, 10:37 AM
One thing that would be nice is being able to add your own custom picture for your player. Donít know how this would work with online play though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu7@LucasForums
...One suggestion for the next update, it would be kinda cool to be able to upload your own avatars for network play, so if you could find a way to put that in it would be pretty cool.
Well uhh, I don't know if any of you guys are still around but your request has finally being met....to some extent anyway.
Step 1: The Image
The picture holders in the game are 100x154 pixels. VB will resize it to that size automatically but it is very very ugly and will not maintain any scale. Therefore you should resize it to 100x154 manually. If you are a newb at basic image editing I'll be happy to help you create a portrait from an image file.
You should use JPG but BMP and GIF are also allowed.

Step 2: Putting it in the game
Copy the image file to the \Portraits folder in the game folder. If the directory does not exist (because you're upgrading or haven't run the game yet), you can either create one yourself or just quickly start up the game and it will create the folder automatically at the start.
Name this image file to the same name as your player filename, so if you haven't created a player then I recommend doing so first or if you've gone and given it any ol' lazy filename like "asdf.pzk" or "blah.pzk", etc. then you should go rename the file to something decent. unique and reflective of your in-game name.
So for example: if your player file is "duffman.pzk" then the image file should be "duffman.jpg".

Step 3: Verify
Run the game and load the relevant player file. Go to the options screen and if all is well it should show up in the portraits box with a K2 Green Border. Click on the portrait to enter the portrait selection screen. You should see both a normal portrait and the override picture. If this is a new player you should also select your favourite portrait from the stock/internal set as well.

Step 4: Netplay/Distributing
If you play a network match and you don't have your opponents custom portrait, their regular portrait will be displayed instead (which is why you should select one). To let others display your custom one, you need to give it to them so they can put it in their own portraits folder, keeping the filename the same so it matches yours. One tip is to post your custom portrait as an attachment in this thread so you won't need to always be sending people the file. Also, if you change/update your custom pic, you only need to update the one post.

Hope this is enough for people to get them working!

Old 12-21-2005, 05:41 AM   #48
dufflover
Rookie

Version v1.1.5 Update released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changes in v1.1.5
- Fix: Muting options will no longer cause a VB program error
I'm also experimenting with a graphical user guide (ie, manual) but I might not bother if it ends up looking stupid or I just get lazy :P

Old 12-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #49
furio
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufflover
Version v1.1.5 Update released.

I'm also experimenting with a graphical user guide (ie, manual) but I might not bother if it ends up looking stupid or I just get lazy :P
Good to know that you still upgrade your game, just continue... until its perfect

No, by all means do it, newbies at Pazaak will find this very helpful. Why make it look stupid, just make it look good & Lazy you? Nah impossible

Achuta, Jee Vopa Chuba Tah Kyotopa Mwa KoTOR's ultimate Guide. Du Magi Pa Che Mikiyuna Da Waba Tah Panwa KotOR.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #50
dufflover
Rookie

I've posted a preview (what I've done so far) of the manual in the Obsidian thread (don't know if guests can download it). Provide feedback if possible

Edit: finished manual furthur down

Last edited by dufflover; 01-11-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 AM   #51
furio
Rookie

Thumbs up

So far its good Duff, i specialy liked the safety warning Continue the good work, looking foreward for the whole manual.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:55 AM   #52
dufflover
Rookie

Ok, I've finished the whole thing (well first version anyway) so hopefully, unlike that early WIP version you actually have something to work off to give feedback on.
You can download it from:
FileFront or Obsidian Forum Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 AM   #53
furio
Rookie

Not bad Duff, good work

Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #54
Snafu7
Purvayer of Truthiness

Looks good dufflover, the new version is great, as is the manual. Grear work.
Snafu7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2006, 12:54 AM   #55
dufflover
Rookie

Version v1.2.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changes in v1.2.0
- Feature: Selectable AI process for Arcade mode (and "modular" AI's in general)
- Feature: Option to switch back to Suvam Tan in Arcade mode after unlocking...*mumble*
- Fix: Re-worked the Network turn process to include an ACK signal to prevent "Lost turn bug"
- Fix: Some corrections to the manual
- Other: Tweaked card sell prices; Specials sell for more, others less
- Other: Re-introed version tolerance in netplay (ofcourse newest and matching versions is best)
- Other: comctl32.ocx and the manual are now included with the full download
The download now includes the comctl32.ocx file which heaps of people seem to need and the manual (with some rather obvious mistakes corrected).

I've re-allowed the tolerance in different versions in netplay; that is, games from the same generation can play with each other. For example, v1.1.4 can play with v1.1.5, but v1.2.0 can't play with v1.1.5, (because of the turn acknowledgement feature), thus the change to v1.2.0. Just be weary though that I may have missed something so best to always have the latest and matching versions.

Here is the updated manual as a separate download (same as the one in the v1.2.0 download) as an Obsidian Forums attachment:
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index....dpost&p=548654

Again, all comments, bugs, suggestions, whatever, welcome!

Last edited by dufflover; 02-08-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:35 PM   #56
furio
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Version v1.2.0 Released

The download now includes the comctl32.ocx file which heaps of people seem to need and the manual (with some rather obvious mistakes corrected).

I've re-allowed the tolerance in different versions in netplay; that is, games from the same generation can play with each other. For example, v1.1.4 can play with v1.1.5, but v1.2.0 can't play with v1.1.5, (because of the turn acknowledgement feature), thus the change to v1.2.0. Just be weary though that I may have missed something so best to always have the latest and matching versions.

Here is the updated manual as a separate download (same as the one in the v1.2.0 download) as an Obsidian Forums attachment:
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index....dpost&p=548654

Again, all comments, bugs, suggestions, whatever, welcome!
Good Job DUFF

Old 02-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #57
Darth333
Administraterror

This is always getting better and better Excellent work!
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 AM   #58
dufflover
Rookie

There's a bug in v1.2.0 where the fix of the "lost turn" network bug has created a new "double-turn" bug, where just like the old one, a player may end up getting dealt two cards in a row instead of just one, and usually busts them. A fix is being tested and should be out soon. Well at least it's better than the "lost turn" bug since the game can at least continue.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:22 AM   #59
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
This rocks. I tried it out when you first made it, but I have not really kept up with it. I just downloaded v1.2.0. Great work!

Pure Pazaak= Pure Fun!

Now if I could only sneek it on to the computers at work.....

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #60
dufflover
Rookie

Version v1.2.1 Update Released

Version v1.2.1 Update Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changes in v1.2.1
- Fix: (I think) for the double-turn bug which has come up from the lost-turn fix
The lost-turn bug fix created a new double-turn bug so this tries to fix that new one.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:01 AM   #61
dufflover
Rookie

Never expected anyone to leave votes with the FileFront thingy but if you do give a crappy vote can you at least say why so I can work on it

Old 02-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #62
miraavery
Rookie

Love it. Pure genius of a discovery. I didn't even know this existed
miraavery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 04:43 AM   #63
Seamhainn
Forumite

Hello!

I installed the newest version:

- the dot which shows whos turn it is dispays a blank field,

- the dots which show the wins don't work,

- the intro page shows the dot which shows whos turn it is above the player names.

Thanks and take care
Seamhainn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 PM   #64
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
I'm not sure if this should be in this forum, as this Pure Pazaak game sounds like a standalone program, as opposed to a mod, which this forum is for.

Alkonium, sorry to have to come down on you here, but you seem to have a habit of posting without thinking things through, this thread was placed here by us from Holowan. This is where this thread goes. -RH

Last edited by RedHawke; 03-04-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #65
PazaakPrincess

Current Game: Fable 2, Oblivion
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I just wanted to say thanks so much for this game! It's nice to know one is not alone in the pazaak obsessed galaxy.

Call me Paz, PP sounds like you're p!$&ing on my head

My Kotor Fan Fiction
PazaakPrincess is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 05:48 AM   #66
dufflover
Rookie

Sorry for not checking the thread sooner.
@ Seamhainn: Could you post screen(s)?

Glad you like it (I hope) PazaakPrincess.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:27 AM   #67
Seamhainn
Forumite

Send you a PM.

Thanks and take care
Old 03-16-2006, 07:14 AM   #68
Seamhainn
Forumite

Startup screen:

http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?image=startup8no.jpg

Turn dot is missing as well as change arrows for +/- 6:

http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=turn9lx.jpg

Seam Hainn won one turn (maybe no change in display):

http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?image=win7mn.jpg

Thanks and take care
Old 03-16-2006, 07:40 AM   #69
dufflover
Rookie

Alright, I have a few (lol, actually only one) idea; you're using the v1.2.1 EXE with an old data file (so pre-v1.2.0).
Some times when I update the game the data file changes (like in this images move around/get re-indexed) but when the EXE and data file don't match up it references don't match up so the pic is wrong.

Even if you've done this....do it again, lol. (do this all in a clean new empty folder) Re-download v1.2.0 base version then re-download/apply the v1.2.1 update EXE

Edit: You're player file should still work fine so just copy it over when the game fully works.

(hey nice to see that the Pure Pazaak icon looks half-decent)

Hope this gets you up and running fine.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #70
Seamhainn
Forumite

Cool! Everything looks great now - and first game won, too!

Thanks and take care
Old 04-03-2006, 02:32 AM   #71
dufflover
Rookie

I've found the most puny/smallest/most insignificant bug that I probably won't be bothered fixing unless I somehow clean up on all the Uni study-work I have.

If you play a flip card and then later invert it, it will show "+-" once you stand. You can easily re-create this bug in Arcade by playing a +3 flip card, then playing the 3&6 inverter card, then standing.

Here's a pic:

Old 04-24-2006, 08:10 AM   #72
dufflover
Rookie

Version v1.2.2 Update Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changes in v1.2.2
- Fix: Got the inverter cards working properly
- Fix: Tried to make quitting games mid-game/transition less volatile
Uhh, in plainer English I fixed up the inverters and tried to make it much less buggy when you quit during a game and stuff is still going on.

FileFront is currently down for maintenance so here's a link to a copy on FreeUploader (the update only):
http://www.freeuploader.com/download...9f5c5e638.html

Note to new players: If you're new to Pure Pazaak you need to download the latest base version (v1.2.0) before using this update:
http://purepazaak.k0m3k.net/

Old 04-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #73
Darth Manus
Rookie

Hmmm... This looks promising. At last the chance to play Pazaak without the constant reloads. :P

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Darth Manus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #74
Jasper_Kazai

Pretty cool. Now all we need is a swoop game.

Man, that'd be so cool.

Jasper_Kazai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #75
dufflover
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper_Kazai
Now all we need is a swoop game.

Man, that'd be so cool.
Episode 1 Pod Racer?

Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #76
Jasper_Kazai

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!

Episode 1 Pod Racer?
It's just not the same...

Jasper_Kazai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #77
commandpriority
Rookie

Great game! Only problem is that I can't seem to be able to download the update. Is there going to be another updat soon.... or am I going to have to live with it?

thanks for the great game!!
commandpriority is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #78
dufflover
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandpriority
Great game!
Thank you!

Quote:
Only problem is that I can't seem to be able to download the update. Is there going to be another updat soon.... or am I going to have to live with it?
OK, I just tested the links myself and they are busted. I'm at Uni now so I can fix it yet (well maybe when you check this message again it will be fixed).

PM me your e-mail and I'll e-mail the update to you.

Edit...at home/feedback:
Filefront is still under maintenence work so I can't upload new files. The v1.2.0 base is still downloadable.
FreeUploader is image hosting now so they don't work either.
Website updated.
You can v1.2.2 update from here Obsidian Forums Post Attachment:
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index....c=35894&st=200
or send me a PM if you want me to e-mail it to you.

Last edited by dufflover; 05-12-2006 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Got home, feedback
Old 06-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #79
Riku
Rookie

Very cool game...congrats

Hi What Could I Unlock For You Today?

Riku is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #80
dufflover
Rookie

It might be possible now for people to contribute translations of the game text in their first language. For details see:
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index....dpost&p=635056
(you can use the PM here ofcourse)

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Taris Upper City Emporium > Pure Pazaak: Standalone Multiplayer Pazaak!