lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New Jedi Knight Game Rumors
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #281
Windu Chi
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensiform
they never said it was going to be a jedi game or jk sequel.

seems to be more of an rts or (mmo)rpg
Actually LA haven't said anything about this game on it's site. The info concerning this game is only coming from game sites and rumers on the web. Also if this going to be be a rts or a mmo rpg type game then they(LA) should shove that stupid idea up their asses.
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #282
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
"Force Unleashed" is just a working title, and they haven't said it's any connection to the JK series.

Still, I can imagine the confusion it would cause if it were...

Person 1: Hey, what's that you're playing? Looks cool...

Person 2: FU!!!!

Person 1: Well, if you're gonna be a jerk about it, then never mind!

Person 2: ???

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #283
Windu Chi
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
"Force Unleashed" is just a working title, and they haven't said it's any connection to the JK series.

Still, I can imagine the confusion it would cause if it were...

Person 1: Hey, what's that you're playing? Looks cool...

Person 2: FU!!!!

Person 1: Well, if you're gonna be a jerk about it, then never mind!

Person 2: ???

I just hope that they don't mess up this game like they did with Ep III which they had rush to come out in relation with Ep III movie.
I hope they learn from their past mistakes in previous Jedi related games, and concentrate heavily on this one, examples; more force powers
& more lightsaber combat.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #284
toms
v0.9

Anyone played the Dark Messiah demo yet? Its 1.5gb for about 10 minutes gameplay.. but those 10 minutes are excellent...

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2006, 01:42 AM   #285
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

I got another idea for the plot of a JK3 game, since toms brought up the idea of "going back in time" since the Remnant vs. Allliance thing has totally played out (Kyle can't keep losing and regaining his powers, Remnant has been crushed so many times, etc.)

How about playing as Rahn? Remember that guy from the first JK? He fought in the Clone Wars and survived the purge... he went into hiding as he ran from Vader, and later Jerec, as he seeked out the location of the Valley of the Jedi over the years. Then he meets Morgan Katarn (Kyle's dad) and learns the location. He eventually confronts Jerec and, well, we all know how that turns out.

Eh? Eh?
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2006, 11:09 AM   #286
toms
v0.9

Hey, Rahn is a more interesting guy than i first gave him credit for in that article. Gold lightsaber - very bling.

The Inquisitorious (?) would also make quite cool bad guys.. or alternatively a quite cool basis for a character to be part of.

Since I like the idea of a game where you are more free to choose sides, factions etc.. then maybe its a good idea not to be one of the main characters with a prewriten destiny.. but instead be a new character.. but involved in all that stuff back then.

You could be a young inquisitorious, part of jerec's team chasng Rahn. Then be around when Jerec of even Vader commits the atrocity that Morgan Katarn was aiding in the relief effort for when he found out about the valley. Then you could have Rahn and Morgan on one side, and Darth and Jereec on the other.. and you could choose a path anywhere between.
Kyle would be about 5 then, so even he could make a cameo.. which would be cool.

Its definately a time period with a lot more possibilities.

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
Old 08-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #287
generalvaklu321
Rookie

I think that "Force Unleashed" is just a working title. Is that the working title for that "Star Wars 2007" thing they had at E3. If you saw it, it bared a closed resembelence to a JK game. It will likely be a JK game, unless it's something completely different

It's a trap!
generalvaklu321 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #288
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvaklu321
If you saw it, it bared a closed resembelence to a JK game.
No. It looks nothing like a JK game. It looks more like the Episode III game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvaklu321
It will likely be a JK game, unless it's something completely different
It's something completely different.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #289
generalvaklu321
Rookie

I completely forgot about the Episode III game. To think about it, yeah, it does look like those games. The force powers used in that video seemed a little unpractical in a combat scenario, the thing people care about is Lightsaber (and gun, wait, not the gun, except the cuncussion rifle, but you can force push it back, anyway...).

It's a trap!
generalvaklu321 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #290
KingSix
Lurker

The video for Force Unleashed seems promising. It gives the impression that when a Jedi walks in a room, he really owns the place (and so it should be).

Still, I'd like to see these, and more cool, force powers in combination with strictly lightsaber combat. I've never liked the idea that Jedi depend on ranged weapons, it just doesn't fit .
KingSix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #291
MasterRoss08

Hello all. I have only been here for a few days but I would like to give some insight on some things here. just gotta think of how to say what i wanna say here.. could take awhile. lol. Guess ill throw in some suggestioins first i guess.

A comment on Lucasarts working jedi title: Even though its a Jedi like game doesnt mean its a sequal in any way to the jk series etc. they specifally said its a working title not in anyway realated to any past games they have done.

I'm thinking of how they would make it more realistic with jedi/sith combating it shouldnt just have an hp bar or offence bar. It should be a combination of somethings. Make it more rpg esc i say.
the force: the force should be the biggest thing of a jedi. the more atuned to the force a jedi is the better the jedi you know. better at battling,blocking,force powers. So lets say they have had a force bar in the past jk series games. the lower the bar the weaker the jedi gets.

Stamina: stamina should play a role when it comes to battling. stamina affects how acrobatic you are. being able to block better the higher the bar is and when its lower the chances you leave openings in your defence and chances you wont block because you are weak.

I think acrobatics should be allowed in games but not to far like in jedi outcast(running on walls, doing a back flip while running up the wall.) you didnt see things likethat in the movies. I think acrobatics should paly a role in the character you play. like yoda for instance he had 2 b a quick mover since he couldnt run well etc. you didnt see the humans being that acroabatic the whole time. Or have a fighitng style system. like how darth maul was etc. or both.

Force powers. I think the games have kind of overdid on force powers. so many things they had. you didnt c a jedi using force powers that much while they were battling. it was more of there lightsaber battles. force powers you saw in the movies were Push, Pull, Speed ,Jump,you saw obi wan blocking lightning and same with yoda, Lighting, Choke, persuasion, you didnt see heal at work in the movies. i would admit with jedi attuned to the force they can heal faster compared to other people. but healing shouldnt be instant. it takes time to heal wounds depending on how bad they are.

I am not suggesting a health bar at all. usually when a lightsaber strikes depending on where or same with a blaster whereever that hits some1 should depend on when you die. multiple hits to the legs ,arms shouldnt kill you at all. so im suggesting depending on where you get hit depends on when you die. maybe when it comes to repeated arm leg shots have a time limit dependign on how many times you get hit in the arms, legs etc to seek medical help. more hits the lower the time limit. dont take bacta within the time limit you die. But when it comes to healing hmm i guess you have to have a hp bar. But if you get hit in certain places you should die( headshots).

They should have weapons in the game for sure not just lightsabers. Usually how it is jedi with lightsabers should block shots in front of them about 100% of the time that is but behind them is another story.

The Force is strong with this one!
Clans im in: JKLE(Jedi Knight and Mots)
TR ( Star Wars Battlefront2
Sites: www.Resistancegaming.net
http://members.lycos.co.uk/jkle/
MasterRoss08 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #292
KingSix
Lurker

MasterRoss08, I'm not gonna quote your post but I very much like your idea of not having a HP bar, it would the make the game more realistic.

I'd like to see a combination of a Jedi Knight came with the KOTOR games. Add the KOTOR's RPG and dialogue elements, keep the combat of the Jedi Knight games but with a heavy or perhaps only focus on lightsaber and force attacks and, whilst we're at it, a more non-linear gameplay.
KingSix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2006, 02:05 PM   #293
ensiform
The Stig

Current Game: Borderlands 2
if they do that, they will dissappoint most of the true competetive communites in the jk world.

iojamp project lead / coder
ensiform is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #294
Windu Chi
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterRoss08
Hello all. I have only been here for a few days but I would like to give some insight on some things here. just gotta think of how to say what i wanna say here.. could take awhile. lol. Guess ill throw in some suggestioins first i guess.

A comment on Lucasarts working jedi title: Even though its a Jedi like game doesnt mean its a sequal in any way to the jk series etc. they specifally said its a working title not in anyway realated to any past games they have done.

I'm thinking of how they would make it more realistic with jedi/sith combating it shouldnt just have an hp bar or offence bar. It should be a combination of somethings. Make it more rpg esc i say.
the force: the force should be the biggest thing of a jedi. the more atuned to the force a jedi is the better the jedi you know. better at battling,blocking,force powers. So lets say they have had a force bar in the past jk series games. the lower the bar the weaker the jedi gets.

Stamina: stamina should play a role when it comes to battling. stamina affects how acrobatic you are. being able to block better the higher the bar is and when its lower the chances you leave openings in your defence and chances you wont block because you are weak.

I think acrobatics should be allowed in games but not to far like in jedi outcast(running on walls, doing a back flip while running up the wall.) you didnt see things likethat in the movies. I think acrobatics should paly a role in the character you play. like yoda for instance he had 2 b a quick mover since he couldnt run well etc. you didnt see the humans being that acroabatic the whole time. Or have a fighitng style system. like how darth maul was etc. or both.
I strongly disagree with your opinions on acrobatics.

All forms of acrobatics should be included and improve on don't take nothing away keep it and expand on it; running on walls, doing a back flip while running up the wall should'nt never be taken away.

These abilities are what made the Jedi Knight games fun to play and more realisted.

These abilities and others determine who won fights when Force powers skills was match.

Wining fights for specific jedi warriors come down to combat, skills with a saber, two sabers and saber staff not always the dependence on Force powers.

I hope they just don't focus on force powers and forget about combat and lightsaber skills.

When developers start taking away abilities ( like acrobatics) that made previous Jedi Knight games great, they start strewing it up for future jedi theme games.

The games don't have to exactly match the movies acrobatics,
so in a game we have more freedom in combat with more abilities.

Also I strongly agree with your idea of stamina that will be a great feature if Lucasarts included it.

So in ending!

Don't take nothing out LA don't downsize certain abilities improve on all previous features in all jedi theme games and add greater newer abilities like ledge grappling and the addition of combat when lightsabers are't in use or have been disarmed by the opponent.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #295
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Wining fights for specific jedi warriors come down to flipkicks
Fixed.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #296
toms
v0.9

lol.

For single player i'd also prefer if they went to something more non-linear, with more depth, more customisability and more "weight" to it. JK meets Deus Ex if you will.

And less acrobatics and flipkicks can only be a good thing. After all, everyone now knows that the matrix sucked and thankfully all the matrix sigs are long gone..

For MP: Some form of stamina bar would be nice.. a MotS meets Battlefield setup with more "realism" to it. Stamina bars that reduce when you do too much jumping.. accuracy crosshairs that reduce when you run or jump, but improve when you raise your weapon or crouch. All that jazz..

I still thinkthat instead of a health bar they should have a "halo style" blocking bar.. that reduces as you make blocks and increases when you rest.
Block > Quick attack. Quick attack > Heavy attack. Heavy attack > Block.
Any successful hit reduces their block bar. When its depleted then one or two hits kills.

Last edited by toms; 09-02-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:17 PM   #297
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
lol.

For single player i'd also prefer if they went to something more non-linear, with more depth, more customisability and more "weight" to it. JK meets Deus Ex if you will.

And less acrobatics and flipkicks can only be a good thing. After all, everyone know knows that the matrix sucked and thankfully all the matrix sigs are long gone..

For MP: Some form of stamina bar would be nice.. a MotS meets Battlefield setup with more "realism" to it. Stamina bars that reduce when you do too much jumping.. accuracy crosshairs that reduce when you run or jump, but improve when you raise your weapon or crouch. All that jazz..

I still thinkthat instead of a health bar they should have a "halo style" blocking bar.. that reduces as you make blocks and increases when you rest.
Block > Quick attack. Quick attack > Heavy attack. Heavy attack > Block.
Any successful hit reduces their block bar. When its depleted then one or two hits kills.
Strongly!

I am sorry toms, but I have to still disagree with you strongly on acrobatics downsizing.

Your ideas on reducing the acrobatics will ruin the up coming jedi game combat system.

Reducing the acrobatics will make other players who have enjoyed playing Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy feel like they have been made handicap in their optional tactics in wining a lightsaber combat sitiuation that they have previous had.

If you don't like or have no good skill in wall runing, backfliping off the wall or flipskicks like they had in EP III:ROTS then don't use it, that's why the developers of JO & JKA had as a on/off option with selection Force power level in mutiplayer options.

When the Lucasarts had downsize abilities and cut options in the game Episode III: Revenge of the Sith they ruin the game for Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight players.

The abilities they had change and options they had cut was previous options and abilities that was in JO and JKA that is why that game won't so popular as
Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight Academy.

The Options LA cut and abilities they had taken out include:
  1. Mutiplayer that was in JO & JKA
  2. The ability to have the freedom to force jump like in JO & JA
  3. The option of manual blocking like was present in JO & JKA
  4. The ability to throw opponents into pits or off ledges.
  5. The ability to knock the lightsaber out your opponent hand.
  6. The option of lightsaber colors or the ability to choose two lightsabers or the saberstaff.
  7. Online capability!
  8. Customisable player character option!
  9. Acrobatics like wall runing and backflip off the wall and also the option that LA had in JKA the the ability to grap wall and jump up or down it.

So do you understand what have happen to the sucess of Ep III when LA downsize abilities and completely cut previous options that other jedi theme games like Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight Academy have had that made those games so popular.

Also believe they should'nt have no health bar ever again for future next-gan games.

It should be more realisted then that.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #298
toms
v0.9

Ep3 was a totally different style of game to JK/JO. It had different requirements.

I don't subscribe to the view that simply continuing to add more and more eye candy and extras is the way to make a good game. Its the core gameplay that is important.. and if you add too much peripheral junk then it can all just become a mess.

I'd happily settle for them taking out flipkicks and wallrunning if it led to a batter combat system. I'd prefer they took out the pointless "make your own character" and worthless "pick your saber hilt" and bothered making a decent story. Making 5 differnet saber styles with 3 different saber types sounds great on paper when you are trying to tick bullet points.. but it doesn't allow them to concentrate on ONE decent combat system.. instead you get 5 average ones.

they put so much effort into letting you make your own character in JA.. but then they had to keep jumping through hoops in the dialoge and plot because they didn't know what your character was like.

Taking things out of the game in no way unfairly penalises existing players.. and even if it did, so what. Its a new game. It would surely be more interesting to have a new game to play, rather than just the same game again.. otherwise they could just keep releasing JO every 2 years with a new graphics engine.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #299
Kurgan
Headhunter

Excellent points toms. I wouldn't be sad if they took that stuff out (I would be sad and consider it a betrayal of the series though, if they removed the gunplay).

Episode III was a console only game with no online play, so it's really not part of the series. The JK games were never about just copying the movies, and that's fine by me.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 09-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #300
MasterRoss08

Yes I agree with you Kurgan. They shouldnt take out Guns from this series. Ctf would be real boring without guns and definately other modes as well.Guns adds so much more for multiplayer but I admit guns in story mode you dont really need to use unless you have to. Maybe what they can do for a story mode is switch in and out with a trooper and a jedi. So then gunplay is more of a factor than just for multiplayer. I was just suggesting for acrobatics if they wanna make it more like the movies. just to suggest taking out some of the unreal like moves. but if they keep them i dont mind i actually like the acrobatics but wall climbing only helps in certain situations I would think its not required everytime you have a match. maybe even add alittle more stuff. Like during the palpatine vs mace and the other jedi how he started off. but maybe only add that to a certain style of battling.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #301
Upgrade

A new Jedi knight game is a good prospect. But what would the story be about? How jaden turns to the darkside or how he doesnt. Personaly I would want more of an expansion pack then a completly new game. So after you beat single were you either turn to the darkside or not it would continue the story

As everybody has been saying with KOTOR 2 and such that a better customisation menu is needed. They could mix jedi academy and KOTOR 2 together so that They could have a better storyline and better gameplay
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #302
toms
v0.9

Guns are essential for a JK style game imho. However that doesn't mean they need to keep the same guns or even the same type of guns that they had in the previous games.
In JK the guns, force and saber were all reasonably balanced and fun. In JO they boosted the saber.. and seemingly forgot about the guns entirely. In the singleplayer at least they were really boring and old fashioned.

FPS games have moved on from the Doom template where there was always a pistol, a shotcun, a rocket launcher, a grenade launcher and a BFG. These days people are used to Halo or Battlefield type games where you have less guns, but you get to choose you loadouts and they are better simulated.
I guess they tried something like this with the mission loadouts in JA.. but with those generic, soulless weapons it really didn't matter. Those weapons always felt too sci-fi, too star trek.. not realistic like the ones in SW.

Most of the original SW trilogy guns were actually modified real world guns, so they had a weight and reality about them.. this never really transfered across to the "glowing ball bouncing round corners" guns or the "star trek disruptors".
(eg: http://www.galactic-conquest.net/pop...reenShot48.jpg)
or:

The Stormtrooper rifle, for example, could be innacurate when fired from the hip and running, but raise it and look through the sights and suddenly you have a more accurate weapon. (though you obviously then couldn't run).

Give the player a basic loadout of Lightsaber, Force Powers, Pistol (unlimited ammo) and a secondary weapon that could be swapped out halo style.
Make the multiplayer loadouts more like class based games.

Make the level design like JK. But with gameplay that was a bit slower, more tactical and more in depth.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #303
MasterRoss08

Sounds neat toms. I would like it if they would bring back the original guns in jk2df in my view. well, some of them that is. I wish any future games would bring back some favorites. ja brought back the concussion rifle which is ok but cmon you have gotta bring back rail gun if they bring any old weapons back. maybe have where you can hold only so many weapons as well compared to the older games. ( you try holding close to 10 weapons.) add a more variaty of some weapons. some pistols,rifles,sniper rifles,flacette etc

Old 09-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #304
Kurgan
Headhunter

The guns in JK/MotS were the same in MP as they were in SP (of course the original DF had no multiplayer, but it was only guns, no melee weapons except fists, apparently MP was planned but nixed at the last minute and never released, it would have been similar to Quake, I guess, except with mostly 2D sprites, an inventory, and the ability to crouch). They were fun to use, and except for a couple of exceptions, you could do reasonably well with any of them, though certain ones were better in certain situations.

In JK2/JA, the guns in SP SUCKED. They were nerfed (some of them fired faster, but they were all weaker and/or less accurate than their MP counterparts), to increase the challenge of the game and (presumably) get you to rely on the saber. So the guns in those games were more "for fun" or in the rare case where you needed to take out a long distance enemy or were without your saber.

In the multiplayer games, the guns were always fun. Some people disliked them, and of course in a saber duel, they didn't really fit, but otherwise they were cool.

The thing about the FPS games that are popular these days, is that they're based on the Rainbow 6 model. You know, the SWAT team, special forces "real world army" type stuff. Lots of instant hit bullet weapons like machineguns, sniper rifles, silenced rifle/pistols, grenades, flash bangs, anti-armor rockets, that sort of thing. Then you get goofy weapons thrown in for fun like "Gravity Guns" and such. For an example of an attempt to make Star Wars weapons seem more like that, without turning them all into just copies of SWAT/Special Forces type weapons, see Republic Commando. Sadly the MP was poorly supported in that game (no patches, no bots, no demo recording, very few mods, just maps basically and a handful of modified skins).

Alternately you get the WWII style thing, but that's pretty much just a variant off the "real world weapons" idea (same with the few WWI, Vietnam or even Wild West/Civil War type FPS games, it's all instant hit pistols, rifles, shotguns and machineguns of some sort), rather than the sci fi weapons. Even the weapons in Star Wars were MODELLED on real world weapons, they certainly didn't behave like them in most cases.

As for the acrobatics and stuff, Yoda jumps around a lot and sprang off some walls in Episode II, but yeah, generally you otherwise don't see that stuff in the movies. No Matrix style wall runs, obviously.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:35 AM   #305
Windu Chi
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
The guns in JK/MotS were the same in MP as they were in SP (of course the original DF had no multiplayer, but it was only guns, no melee weapons except fists, apparently MP was planned but nixed at the last minute and never released, it would have been similar to Quake, I guess, except with mostly 2D sprites, an inventory, and the ability to crouch). They were fun to use, and except for a couple of exceptions, you could do reasonably well with any of them, though certain ones were better in certain situations.

In JK2/JA, the guns in SP SUCKED. They were nerfed (some of them fired faster, but they were all weaker and/or less accurate than their MP counterparts), to increase the challenge of the game and (presumably) get you to rely on the saber. So the guns in those games were more "for fun" or in the rare case where you needed to take out a long distance enemy or were without your saber.

In the multiplayer games, the guns were always fun. Some people disliked them, and of course in a saber duel, they didn't really fit, but otherwise they were cool.

The thing about the FPS games that are popular these days, is that they're based on the Rainbow 6 model. You know, the SWAT team, special forces "real world army" type stuff. Lots of instant hit bullet weapons like machineguns, sniper rifles, silenced rifle/pistols, grenades, flash bangs, anti-armor rockets, that sort of thing. Then you get goofy weapons thrown in for fun like "Gravity Guns" and such. For an example of an attempt to make Star Wars weapons seem more like that, without turning them all into just copies of SWAT/Special Forces type weapons, see Republic Commando. Sadly the MP was poorly supported in that game (no patches, no bots, no demo recording, very few mods, just maps basically and a handful of modified skins).

Alternately you get the WWII style thing, but that's pretty much just a variant off the "real world weapons" idea (same with the few WWI, Vietnam or even Wild West/Civil War type FPS games, it's all instant hit pistols, rifles, shotguns and machineguns of some sort), rather than the sci fi weapons. Even the weapons in Star Wars were MODELLED on real world weapons, they certainly didn't behave like them in most cases.

As for the acrobatics and stuff, Yoda jumps around a lot and sprang off some walls in Episode II, but yeah, generally you otherwise don't see that stuff in the movies. No Matrix style wall runs, obviously.
Guns! Why would they put guns in the new jedi knight game?

It suppose to be a Jedi focus game focus on combat, lightsaber skills and use of Force powers.

I won't be unfair and say take out the guns.

I am always looking to more freedom and realism in combat tactical choices.

So if you could pick up a gun in real life they should include it.

Some other options I would like to see is the use of the jedi utility belt. Like the way Obi Wan and Anikan use their hooks to negotiate the elevator shaft on "Grevious ship".

Also I want to have the option to climb ladders and grap climb on thing of oportunity.

It make it more realisted like, when your Force jump power is to low to have the option of Force jumping.

Once again to yall acrobatics haters out there; wall runing and backfliping off the walls can be done for real with proper use of speed and balance.

So if they start taking abilities as basic as that out then the game won't seem realisted and immersive as it should feel.

Also if don't like full acrobatics options then DON'T USE THEM THEN.

Don't ruin it for other players who like that style use of combat tactics by having them (Lucasarts) taking that basic freedom option away to suite your needs.

Again the acrobatics that I been arguing about are't the Matrix style.

STOP! Cease comparing the acrobatics in the jedi theme games to the Matrix, yall are completely misguided on that statement.

With those points made, to possibility solve this argument.

Lucasarts if the combat tactics and acrobatics look realisted and not like Japanese animate then include it in the game.

Lucasarts if you can do it for real if Force is real; with in the basic laws of physics and the mathematics of physical use forces like the Force then include it.

Also merge the combat abilities, options and tactics and add new ones that was in previous games like JKA and Ep III into Star Wars 2007.

Finaly have Nick Gillard, the stunt coordinator; who was reponsible for the combat in the the prequels.

Let him have free will in the combat abilities limit none of his ideas.

For those of you who don't know of Nick Gillard contributions to jedi combat. He oversee the combat that is the most realisted combat ever feature in a game so far, in Ep III the game.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #306
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Guns! Why would they put guns in the new jedi knight game?
Guns have been essential to the Jedi Knight series. Remember the original Dark Forces? There weren't Force powers or lightsabers at all.

It wouldn't be a Jedi Knight game without the trademark weapons; Stormtrooper rifles, bowcasters, repeaters, thermal detonators, etc...
Old 09-03-2006, 03:54 AM   #307
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Guns have been essential to the Jedi Knight series. Remember the original Dark Forces? There weren't Force powers or lightsabers at all.

It wouldn't be a Jedi Knight game without the trademark weapons; Stormtrooper rifles, bowcasters, repeaters, thermal detonators, etc...
I know that TK-8252!

I don't want them to get rid of: Stormtrooper rifles, bowcasters, repeaters, thermal detonators, etc...

I would welcome more realism and more options.

I have been arguing for more options in the new Jedi Knight game.

I don't want them to downsize nothing from all previous jedi theme games.

I just want more improvement on options in combat, more abilities in combat and more abilities in general.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #308
toms
v0.9

Quote:
Finaly have Nick Gillard, the stunt coordinator; who was reponsible for the combat in the the prequels.

For those of you who don't know of Nick Gillard contributions to jedi combat. He oversee the combat that is the most realisted combat ever feature in a game so far, in Ep III the game.
Oh please god no! Why don't thy just go the whole way and get Yuen Wo Ping.. he's obviously who they wnated for the prequels anyway.

You can make saber fighting look cinematic.. but the more cinematic it looks the less it will be YOU in control. One thing I would like from the swordfighting, and which might or might not work, would be if the models reflected the moves the person was about to make.

eg: To make a downward slash on someone you (for example) aim the crosshair high on their body. Your character holds his saber high, ready to make a downward slash. Move your cross hair to the left of their body and your character switches to holding his saber out to the left, ready to swing right. At least that way they might feel like real fights with real, flowing, stances.. rather than just click fests.

(maybe they could go with something like the Dark Messiah system where you can block the other player by countering his moves... which would work well with what i described above)
--
As for guns.. the thing about games like BF2 is that the guns FEEL and LOOK more solid. I don't see why they can't take that feel accross to a jedi game, even if they do fire lasers instead of bullets.

Having realistic, well animated weapon models, realistic weapon switch animations, reloading and sight ajusting animations, the ability to look through the barrel for more accuracy, not being able to be as accurate when running and jumping.. all these things help to make the weapons seem more "real". And all these things should be able to transfer across to SW weapons as well as any other.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #309
toms
v0.9

Quote:

Oh please god no! Why don't thy just go the whole way and get Yuen Wo Ping.. he's obviously who they wanted for the prequels anyway.

You can make saber fighting look cinematic.. but the more cinematic it looks the less it will be YOU in control. One thing I would like from the swordfighting would be if the models reflected the moves the person was about to make.

eg: To make a downward slash on someone you (for example) aim the crosshair high on their body. Your character holds his saber high, ready to make a downward slash. Move your cross hair to the left of their body and your character switches to holding his saber out to the left, ready to swing right. At least that way they might feel like real fights with real, flowing, stances.. rather than just click fests.

(maybe they could go with something like the Dark Messiah system where you can block the other player by countering his moves... which would work well with what i described above)

If they want to incorporate cinematic style OTT moves then they should only occur as finishing moves. I'd be fine with that.
--
As for guns.. the thing about games like BF2 is that the guns FEEL and LOOK more solid. I don't see why they can't take that feel accross to a jedi game, even if they do fire lasers instead of bullets.

Having realistic, well animated weapon models, realistic weapon switch animations, reloading and sight ajusting animations, the ability to look through the barrel for more accuracy, not being able to be as accurate when running and jumping.. all these things help to make the weapons seem more "real". And all these things should be able to transfer across to SW weapons as well as any other.
--
Plus, for multiplayer, a class/team based approach seems much more rewarding these days.. almost a revertion to the MotS personalities.. but designed for more team based games.
(i'm not saying to make it battlefront 2 - more like MotS meets BattleFIELD 2)

Old 09-03-2006, 12:45 PM   #310
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
Oh please god no! Why don't thy just go the whole way and get Yuen Wo Ping.. he's obviously who they wnated for the prequels anyway.

You can make saber fighting look cinematic.. but the more cinematic it looks the less it will be YOU in control. One thing I would like from the swordfighting, and which might or might not work, would be if the models reflected the moves the person was about to make.

--

Who the hell is Yuen Wo Ping? Is he a martial-artis movie stunt coordinator?

Nick Gillard is damn good at what he does.

If it was'nt for his abilities in creating the jedi combat in the prequel movies we won't be talking about any jedi games because that concept in the old Star Wars movies would have die out after, "Episode I: The Phantom Mence"; if the combat action was disgraceful.

In Episode III the game you do have all the control in saber attacks; the only cinematic animation is in the blocking.

Which I have already posted saying that the blocking was strewed up.

You must have'nt play the game or play it long enought to learn all the possible saber combos.

There are more than 100, I think.

Reason being you keep believing you don't have no control in all combat actions; because they look more cinematic and real.

Also the moves in Episode III does reflect on one of the 12 characters you play with in versus mode.

I am still discovering combat combos in the game.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #311
Darth_Grievous
Rookie

I WANT A NEXT JEDI KNIGHT GAME SO BAD PLEASE OH please I want another one I love that series so much.
Darth_Grievous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #312
MasterRoss08

Well we cant force them to make another one you know. I would be happy if they made a new one as well. I just hope if they do they take there time and do a good job on it compared to Academy where they rushed it alittle to fast.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #313
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
In Episode III the game you do have all the control in saber attacks; the only cinematic animation is in the blocking.
Unlike JO/JA, you do not have control of the path of your swing, only when you swing.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #314
ABCIMe123
Rookie

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/112.html

It appears that Lucasarts has teamed up with Free Radical. Free Radical has been known for making FPS's such as Timesplitters and Haze. Also in case you did not know Free Radical was founded by some of the staff that created Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.
ABCIMe123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #315
•-BLaCKouT-•
Clone Brutality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
you do not have control of the path of your swing, only when you swing.
SWING baby! YEAH!

*cough* What?

Free Radical's website, by the way, is quality! A classic example of straight-faced English deadpan;
Quote:
Originally Posted by frd.co.uk
Nottingham is the town that was founded after the success of Kevin Costner's 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' in the early 90s. Its main exports are arrows and tourists.
My only feeling of ill-boding comes from the 'next gen console' thing. I don't want to have to buy a console to play new SW games. Not because they're overpriced and short-lived, but because I can't get used to the damed controllers.
Playing Battlefront on my mate's PS2 is positively embarrasing, I keep trying to get him to buy a better graphics card so's he can buy it for the PC and I can whoop him

I know people actually do play JO/JA with gamepads (and not just on consoles), I just can't envision how it's done...

B.

Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus. ULCER are from Margate...
•-BLaCKouT-• is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #316
ABCIMe123
Rookie

^ Come on. You've got to want to use the Wii remote as a lightsaber.
ABCIMe123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #317
toms
v0.9

Quote:
Nick Gillard is damn good at what he does.
If we have to have a real world fight coordinator consulting (not sure thats a good idea after they got real architects for Oni, but ok..) then we need Bob Anderson or no-one.

Fre radical make kick-ass arcade games.. but they have never been much into deep plots or complex mechanics. its not yet clear what game they are working on though, i'd be surprised if LA didn't have several next-gen games lined up. (and opefully a Wii one too).

I guess since no one can even agree on what genre FU is its probably too early to talk about it. *wishes it was a cell shaded clone wars game ftw*

Old 09-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #318
Bravst3r
Lurker

damage!

going back to damage meters and such..
to an extent you do need one.

but who says it has to be a meter?
anybody ever remember the old destruction derby series on the PS1..
I know this is a bit off the wall but hear me out :P

why not use a model of a body..
where say a certain limb gets attacked the shading on the model will go from looking a light green to slightly darker until red.. and then obviously you lose the limb or die.

which could be healed by a limited amount of force power, but only to half of its usual strength.
so your character would lose strength making certain saber styles in effective and acrobatics and combat sloppy, therefore the character is more prone to making mistakes, or losing saber locks etc.
that way it eliminates the annoyance of a health bar to a certain extent,
and also adds to the point of being to cut of limbs and live..
usually if someone cuts your hand off your not gunna die straight away.

it would also add a good layer of development to your character :P try to get through the game with all your fingers and toes intact. lol

and yes this is my first post just to make a statement :P
Bravst3r is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2006, 06:08 PM   #319
toms
v0.9

Hmm. games back in the quake 2 days used to use pain skins to show damage on models.. for some reason you don't see that much these days. I guess they mostly use decal textures instead now, but the advantage of smethign like pain skins was that you could have 3 set levels.. which would give you a good idea how much damage you'd done.
Though of course those used to work better for ai grunts than for players.

I like the way recent games have altered the viewpoint to indicate things like damage, sneaking, speed kills, etc..

What was the game where the screen faded to Black and WWhite the more damage you took? That always seemed a cool idea to me.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #320
Darth_Nihilus
Rookie

hope there is

Hidden Mist Village
Legendary Swordsmen his sword Samehad
Jounin, Missing-nin, S-Ranked Criminal

- Hoshigaki Kisame
- Org. Akatsuki
Darth_Nihilus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > New Jedi Knight Game Rumors