lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: vBulletin 3 upgrade issues thread
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-29-2005, 09:08 PM   #1
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
vBulletin 3 upgrade issues thread

As you'll have noticed, LucasForums has just upgraded to the third version of vBulletin. This has involved a very long stretch of combined effort from many people, with the rebuilding of each community's design being necessary due to the old styles simply not being usable with the new forum software. Hopefully you'll enjoy the new look, and the new forum software gives us the oppertunity to develop the forums a lot more freely in the future.

Because of the extensive modifications we've made to the templates and such, there is a slim but undeniably feasible chance that you may spot something slightly broken, or generally wrong. If you do, try not to panic and go on some kind of rampage -- just make it known in this thread. It'll then be ironed out as quickly as possible, and life can go on! A few obvious examples of things to report include:

• A community using the general network forums design when it should have its own.
  • Broken images.
  • Obvious table/html issues, such as a table overlapping into another.
  • Functions not performing as they should. Eg: Avatars won't upload.

We've gone to great lengths to ensure that the process is problemless, but as we all know things always like to surprise you at the worst moments. So, if you do notice anything crazy, make a post in here -- the entirety of LucasForums will appreciate you for it! Note: Problems such as name changes, failure to receive registration emails, etc are not for this thread. This is for problems related directly to the upgrade only.

Last edited by Thrik; 07-30-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
The ranks/titles don't seem to be working (I think). For example, in this thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=149434

No one has a title except VampireNaomi and SteveBB (who is on 16 posts so it can't be a custom one. Unless you changed it now in VB3 so anyone can get a custom title, but I didn't see that option anywhere in the UserCP.)

But the rest is great. Thanks Thrik and everyone else who helped

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
Commas

Location: If you're going to San Francisco, Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair...
two that i've noticed is that the roguesquadron.net is using the general network forums design (which i am assuming is the same one that the help and feedback forum does all the photographs of indy and vader and luke & leia and other games) and also in the user cp under edit profile for "web browser" i didn't have anything entered, when i went to type "fire fox" the text appeared up and to the left of the box i was supposed to be typing in. after i saved my preferences and went back later the text appeared in the box where it was supposed to.

Zaphod Beeblebrox is my hero
DOWNLOAD THE STUFF I MADE!
Commas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
I am unable to edit post #93 in this thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...26#post1835726

Editing seems to work in other threads since I've already edited this post at least four times.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

What does it say when you try to edit it, Naomi? I've checked through all of your personal options and I can't spot anything irregular.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Just a minor layout glitch...

The "Ads by Google" to the top right of the forums overlays on top of the header image (covering Indy)... leaving a blank black box to the far right side of the boards... (I assume this is where the ad is supposed to go?)

I'm using Firefox, though I also have my Resolution set to "Higher Than 1024x768" in the User CP > Edit Profile ... could that be the problem, or is the ad meant to overlay the header image?

Like I said, very minor... overall though, VB3 is rockin' guys.. fantastic work!

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
What does it say when you try to edit it, Naomi? I've checked through all of your personal options and I can't spot anything irregular.
It doesn't say anything. It takes me back to the thread like it's supposed to, but the changes won't show up. Same happens when I try to delete a double post in the same thread.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Old 07-30-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

The ad does overlay the header image by default, though it doesn't cause problems with the majority of the headers assuming that you're on at least 1024x768. There may be a specific problem to you know, so could you please take a screenshot? You can do this by simply hitting the print screen key on your keyboard, and then paste it into any image editing program such as Microsoft Paint.

If you have nowhere to upload it, I'll PM you my email address.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Naomi, if it's only that one post being affected that I can only put it down to some kind of database glitch from the changeover. If this continues with new posts made after the changeover, let me know.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
The ad does overlay the header image by default, though it doesn't cause problems with the majority of the headers assuming that you're on at least 1024x768. There may be a specific problem to you know, so could you please take a screenshot? You can do this by simply hitting the print screen key on your keyboard, and then paste it into any image editing program such as Microsoft Paint.

If you have nowhere to upload it, I'll PM you my email address.
Not a prob

I'm on a dual-screen setup so here's 2 pics:

2560x1024 Version

1280x1024 Version

Pardon the clutter.. modding is a messy job hehehe...

Old 07-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Ah yes, that's indeed how it should be. The header will stretch to whatever your browser window's size is, so it'll tile on and on. You'll note that it's the same indy photo as the beginning of the header, and isn't usually visible for lower resolution users.

Certain headers across the forum will be optimized in the future to look a bit more varied for higher than 1024x768 users, though. At the moment they're designed mainly for the commonly used 1024x768, but there's clearly people who use higher and are noticing the repetition in the tiling headers. :~

Old 07-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #12
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Ah yes, that's indeed how it should be. The header will stretch to whatever your browser window's size is, so it'll tile on and on.
aaahh.. kewl! Thanks for clearing that up!

yah, it's not annoying at all... just wanted to make sure that's how it was supposed to be.. and the tiled header is a nice touch

sure beats it ending 'abruptly' into oblivion

Old 07-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #13
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
Problem solved, Thrik. I figured out that I have to fill in the reason to edit/delete field before it works. I didn't have to do it in this thread, so I thought it was optional over at High Roller's Lounge too.

Old 07-30-2005, 07:52 PM   #14
scabb
zo

The poll on the front page. I can't vote on the front page. I have to go the damn thread. I didn't want to go to the damn thread! Also: avatars, way too big. ;-
scabb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 08:08 PM   #15
Hermie
vs. The World.

Current Game: On the top of it.
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabb
Also: avatars, way too big. ;-
Huge avatars = awsome, dont listen to him. >_>

Hermie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 09:56 PM   #16
Lorden Darkblade
Computer Crazy

Everytime I load a new page or load or refresh or ANYTHING that has to do with loading a page about LF it freezes up my browser for 3-4 secs then it goes back to normal.
I use MyIE2 its a addon to IE. I use IE6 with Windows XP Professional.

Lorden Darkblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 11:27 PM   #17
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha Itachi
Everytime I load a new page or load or refresh or ANYTHING that has to do with loading a page about LF it freezes up my browser for 3-4 secs then it goes back to normal.
I use MyIE2 its a addon to IE. I use IE6 with Windows XP Professional.
Same problem.

Whenever you load a page it freezes for a few seconds, seemingly to load all the images.

Also, certain threads have issues with not loading pictures. Avatars, sigs, and linked or attached images don't appear, or take way too long to show up. Then some threads just crash IE altogether.

Some people have said that this doesn't happen with Firefox... do I have to get Firefox just so I can browse LF smoothly? Why would vB3 be incompatable with IE?
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2005, 11:42 PM   #18
Vikinor
600cc

Current Game: Cataclysm
I use MSN Explorer. Which I'm guessing is pretty much the same thing as IE? But I'm having that problem too.

Original member of 2002.
Vikinor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2005, 12:29 AM   #19
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

The problem is possibly down to the png javascript which we've implemented to allow the use of full transparency supporting PNG images across the forums, which allows smooth blending shadows and such rather than the harsh transparency which gif images force. Sadly, Internet Explorer is the only browser in known existence to not support these transparency properties of PNGs, which is why the javascript addon is installed.

Unless we can find something server-side which is more efficient at doing the same thing (suggestions are welcome), we'll most probably have to just sacrifice the smooth blending images and revert to the sharpness of the gif. This a very frustrating flaw with Internet Explorer that won't be fixed until Microsoft release version 7.

We're not about to let you guys continue loading with incredibly slow loading pages though, don't worry. Every issue that's reported is to be looked into and resolved, so by all means continue.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:14 AM   #20
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Unless we can find something server-side which is more efficient at doing the same thing (suggestions are welcome), we'll most probably have to just sacrifice the smooth blending images and revert to the sharpness of the gif. This a very frustrating flaw with Internet Explorer that won't be fixed until Microsoft release version 7.
I'm sure you guys have done your research, but have you tried this?

http://koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/

I've used it before for some of my client's PHP based sites and it seems to work fine. Though I should note that this fix will conflict with IE7 once it's implemented...

It's issued under GNU Lesser General Public License, but it's perhaps something at least worth checking out

Old 07-31-2005, 04:14 PM   #21
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The "add picture", "add hyperlink", ext. buttons are not working in in my edit signiture menu. I have a picture I wanted to use, but it won't let me. When I click on the buttons, nothing happens.

Thanks.
Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2005, 04:32 PM   #22
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
The "add picture", "add hyperlink", ext. buttons are not working in in my edit signiture menu. I have a picture I wanted to use, but it won't let me. When I click on the buttons, nothing happens.

Thanks.
Images and hyperlinks can be done on these forums with bbcode. For a hyperlink, you type:

[u r l]http://www.yoursite.com[/u r l] (without spaces in [u r l])

And for images it's:

[i m g]http://www.yoursite.com[/i m g] (again without spaces)

Although, those buttons should work too, all they would do is insert bbcode tags into your post.

Edit My no rank/title problem was never addressed

Last edited by James Isaac; 07-31-2005 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #23
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

It's not that they're not working, it's simply that the custom titles per forum on vBulletin 2 weren't part of the software at all -- it was a hacked in addon.

There seems to be similar functionality for vB3, but it means doing all the titles all over again, so it's kind of low on the priority list at the moment since we've still got some load issues, as well as various template fixes.

Incidentally, if anybody does notice that the page load times start to skyrocket, make it known in this thread. It should be more or less instant considering the hardware that we're on, so if it's not fast and you're sure that it's not your own connection, we'd really appreciate being told.

Old 07-31-2005, 05:19 PM   #24
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Running a bit slow right now. Quite oddly.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2005, 05:51 PM   #25
Pad
.¬¬.

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSith
Running a bit slow right now. Quite oddly.
As far as I know, it´s still indexing.
Pad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2005, 05:57 PM   #26
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pad
As far as I know, it´s still indexing.
Yeah, but it was doing this weird little random loading of things. Jumping all over the place. Very weird.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #27
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
A little experimentaion on my part has shown the new version to run far better and far, far faster with Firefox than IE,.. confirming the results posted by others in this thread.

This was done at the same time of day, with both browsers open and running the forum at the same time.

In Firefox page load times are practically instantaneous. I've had IE bog down to the point where the images never load at all (although I was able read threads and to post replies.)

I will post here using Firefox from now on.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2005, 08:31 PM   #28
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

I have noticed that my PM's read receipts aren't getting returned (perhaps by choice..hehe) but all of them?? I know they're being read because I get replies on them... nobody likes me... hehehe

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Nevermind... hehehe... found out "why" The recipient(s) didn't click 'send receipt' since they were answering it already..

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 07-31-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:02 PM   #29
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
I doubt there is, but I may as well ask, is there any difference to how many PM's we can hold in out inbox/outbox?

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-31-2005, 11:15 PM   #30
Darth Andrew
Veteran

Whenever a topic loads in Yoda's Swamp for me, it freezes my screen and I must close out of my internet browser. All other forum topics load fine (except for a 6-second delay).
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2005, 05:17 AM   #31
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi
I doubt there is, but I may as well ask, is there any difference to how many PM's we can hold in out inbox/outbox?
In the private messages wndow it has a bar showing you how many you hold and how much the maximum is. The limit is still 100 overall.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:31 AM   #32
shukrallah
White Dragon

It doesn't auto log me in when I try to access the site even though I click "remember me"

Nothing major, its just that LF used to always remember my name and password. I havn't changed any settings that I know of.
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #33
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Isaac
Images and hyperlinks can be done on these forums with bbcode. For a hyperlink, you type:

[u r l]http://www.yoursite.com[/u r l] (without spaces in [u r l])

And for images it's:

[i m g]http://www.yoursite.com[/i m g] (again without spaces)

Although, those buttons should work too, all they would do is insert bbcode tags into your post.
Thanks buddy, I got it to work.
When I couldn't get the button to work I tried to do it manually. When it still didn't work, I thought something was broken. Thats when I posted here.

The whole time, I was forgetting the backslash in the [/img]. One little "/"....... anyway, thanks again.

Edit: The site is running very fast now!

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #34
shukrallah
White Dragon

Hmm, nvm about my previous post, it logged me in automatically this time.
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #35
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Question. Does this forum allow double posting. I've been to forums like this where any double posts are automatically merged into one as an edit.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #36
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Kind of.

We don't have the addon implemented which will merge a second post directly after another from the same user, which I'm quite happy with, but the forum won't let you post a duplicate post within five minutes. That is, if somebody submits their post for a second time, believing for some reason that the last one didn't get through, it'll get declined and they'll just be redirected back to the existing post.

Old 08-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #37
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Well that's fine then, at least we all know now.

Old 08-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #38
tk102
Well past expiration date

Current Game: FTL
Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Cancelling of Unread Private Messages Disabled?

Regarding Private Messaging-- the FAQ says that Unread PMs can be cancelled (and in vb2 they could be) but I don't see that option anymore.

tk102 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #39
Lorden Darkblade
Computer Crazy

I really don't want to be an ass but, how's the freeze up thing going?
Cuz it is really starting to annoy me here.

Lorden Darkblade is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #40
coupes.
★★★★★

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member 
Don't rush, they are aware of the problem and it's most likely being adressed, asking about it won't make things go faster... If it's really unbarable, I suggest you simply use a different browser while the problem is being fixed, and come back to your old browser when it's fixed (or don't ).
coupes. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > vBulletin 3 upgrade issues thread