lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island 5: Return To Monkey Island
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #41
RoyTordesLegend
Annoying LF since 2003

Current Game: Resurrecting 'Ye Olde Harbour'
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Hird
You guys are actually making me give up o.o
....if you can't handle our criticism then you've failed the first hurdle Elliott........don't you think Lucasarts are going to be a lot harder on you when you approach them for permission? Don't you think the most talented artists and programmers are going to want some guarantees about the direction of the project?

I've told you, sit down and make a short demo yourself, in 2D using something like AGS.........if you can handle that.......and it's good, then perhaps we're all wrong and you'd make a great project leader.

.......otherwise it's a bit like saying you don't know a great deal about cars, but you're going to get permission from Lamborghini to make exact Countach replicas in your back garden!!!

Roy Tordes - The Legend
RoyTordesLegend is offline   you may:
Old 08-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #42
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
His competence in dodging my annoying questions is a testament to good avoidance techniques.

I am slightly dissapointed though, he gave up after less than a week, there's no get up and go attitude there. What a shame.

Joshi is offline   you may:
Old 08-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #43
Scummbuddy

Like I said, under 16. A 17 year old would clearly be bull-headed enough to last for 2 weeks.

Don't send people like that over to AGS. Then I have to give them babysteps in the tech forum, and tell them to read the f'ing manual.

Scummbuddy is offline   you may:
Old 08-23-2005, 01:39 AM   #44
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

You're not masterdebator, are you, Elliott?

Alien426 is offline   you may:
Old 08-23-2005, 05:37 AM   #45
Elliott Hird
Rookie

No.

Scummbuddy, you really think I don't have a copy of AGS over here? I don't use it because it sucks. Experience. Given up? No. You are trying to make me give up.
Elliott Hird is offline   you may:
Old 08-23-2005, 08:34 AM   #46
RoyTordesLegend
Annoying LF since 2003

Quote:
No.

Scummbuddy, you really think I don't have a copy of AGS over here? I don't use it because it sucks. Experience. Given up? No. You are trying to make me give up.
........AGS sucks? So you're programming skills are better than using AGS then Elliott? Well you're laughing then....................but I thought your programming wasn't that hot??

If you're programming isn't up to scratch, you're going to need AGS, or another game construction tool to put your ideas into a demo. Either that or you'll need the full game design, including concept art, dialogue etc. No programmer or artist worth their salt is going to touch your project if all you've got is a couple of pages of incomplete scrawled ideas. I did some game design for a local company when I was 14 as part of my work experience, and stayed on for a while afterwards, and was even paid for a couple of designs which weren't used. Mostly though you put your hard effort into designing a game on paper, and even the smallest companies won't entertain the idea unless the design is absolutely comprehensive in every detail OR you have a good working demo to show them.......something they can get a feel for, and get excited about.

.....nobody here is trying to put you off your project, just inject some reality. You need to show everyone some hard evidence that you've worked hard on this idea, and not just plucked it out of your head one afternoon.....

...........I've worked on about 5-6 game projects in the past 15 years, and only one was ever completed, that was back in 1990, and quite rubbish, although strangely it was ALMOST published on the cover tape of Crash ZX Spectrum magazine back in 1990!! But that's a long story!

..........so come on Elliott........links to some of your work please!! If this is your first project......sharing a few sketches and pages of design won't hurt you............come on!!

Roy Tordes - The Legend
Old 08-23-2005, 12:59 PM   #47
Elliott Hird
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyTordesLegend
.....nobody here is trying to put you off your project, just inject some reality. You need to show everyone some hard evidence that you've worked hard on this idea, and not just plucked it out of your head one afternoon.....
Quote:
Hey, I only thought of this 1-3 days ago!
This probably isn't the thread for you then.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #48
RoyTordesLegend
Annoying LF since 2003

Quote:
This probably isn't the thread for you then.
Well yes, you're right......I guess it isn't. But until you actually produce something, be it a business plan, a full design, a demo or indeed anything solid, this thread is pointless for all concerned...............but damn funny!!

Seriously Elliott, if you feel your idea is THAT good, stop talking the talk and start walking the walk. Do ONE of the following things within the next month or so, and I'm sure everyone will apologise:-

1) Produce a business plan, detailing how you're going to fund the project, hire staff, premises, equipment. Pay for licensing etc

2) If you're not paying your staff.......and are working over the internet with a team you've never met, explain to us how you're going to motivate them to work for you in a hardworking and timely fashion

3) Altenatively produce a game design, with scripting an dialogue, good enough for a 5-6 screen demo. Include concept art, sketches etc

4) Produce some graphics or code that would be used in the final game

Most of us have had these fantastic ideas to continue the Monkey Island series, but they tend to fizzle out after a couple of weeks, when we realise we're either out of ideas, or struggling to get the technical resources together to take it further. If you do get past this stage and get as far as a full design or simple demo........THAT is the point you tell the world about your fabulous idea..........

.........come on Elliott walk the walk!!

Roy Tordes - The Legend
Old 08-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #49
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Given up? No. You are trying to make me give up.
Personally, I'm not trying to make you give up, but you came here looking for people to help you with this thing and without some kind of game plan (kindly pointed out by my collegue Roy, thank you Roy ) I doubt you're gonna get many people helping you. I'm asking you annoying and awkward questions so I know that you're not just someover-eager fanboy with more time than sense so that I may actually consider helping you out with this.

So far though, you haven't given me any straight answers to my questions and haven't convinced anyone that this plan would go anywhere. Not too good on your part Elliot.

On the other hand, if you were to go into LucasArts offices with a gameplan right now with the intention of getting the rights from them, I would pay good money to see a video tape of the whole thing.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #50
RoyTordesLegend
Annoying LF since 2003

PLUS......personally I think 3D is way too over ambitious unless you have completed 2D games to your credit (3D being the next step forward)............have you thought about using 3D rendered graphics with 2D sprites? You sound as though you're setting yourself unrealistic targets from the off.

........Neil referring to me as a colleague??! Do I hear the chinking of keys to the moderators lounge? Bared nipple at the ready!!! )

Roy Tordes - The Legend
Old 08-23-2005, 07:00 PM   #51
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Oh now, I wouldn't be so naiive as to give you keys to the mod lounge, there's only so many banananana daquiris and net hammocks to go around.

Old 08-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #52
Gabez

And Remi takes up most of the hammock space. ;-*

Oh my did I just say that alloud?
Gabez is offline   you may:
Old 08-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #53
RoyTordesLegend
Annoying LF since 2003

...........I'll pole dance in the corner if that helps??

.......you guys need some new moderating talent.........freshen up the team!!! You're going stale!!

Roy Tordes - The Legend
Old 08-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #54
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
.............are all these dots supposed to be some kind of braille interpretation of your posts?? ......or is it just some kind of habit you have.......

Thrik is offline   you may:
Old 08-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #55
RoyTordesLegend
Annoying LF since 2003

.....nothing wrong with dots Thrikky babe.......dots make the world go round!

Is it causing you problems with bandwidth? If it is I'll stop.

Roy Tordes - The Legend
Old 08-25-2005, 04:19 AM   #56
Elliott Hird
Rookie

3) Altenatively produce a game design, with scripting an dialogue, good enough for a 5-6 screen demo. Include concept art, sketches etc
Huh. I'll do that, and a crappy demo in AGS.

But listen. Novel-ready storylines, quips, dialog, everything. fine. Graphics? Sketches? Don't look at me. I can picture graphics perfectly in my head...

...but unless you can make a mind-scanner(tm), I can't show you them.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:10 AM   #57
Alien426

I don't think that would matter. You could describe it like a screenplay:
Quote:
INTERIOR SCUMM BAR

It has been redecorated but you can still recognize it from MI1. There is now a Grog machine and the dart board has been closed off with "Crime Scene"-like tape...

Old 08-25-2005, 11:22 AM   #58
Gabez

I love the dots! I print off the forum pages and write in my own hillarious additions to Roy's lines!

And the job of thinking up dialouge and story usually comes after you've worked your way up the ladder for a good few years. ;
Old 08-25-2005, 02:09 PM   #59
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Huh. I'll do that, and a crappy demo in AGS.

But listen. Novel-ready storylines, quips, dialog, everything. fine. Graphics? Sketches? Don't look at me. I can picture graphics perfectly in my head...

...but unless you can make a mind-scanner(tm), I can't show you them.
That's very nice, but you could easily get someone else to do the arty stuff if you come up with some basic business plan for how you're going to finance such a venture and how you'd manage production and so on. It's all very well saying you have an idea and a dream, but making it all into a reality will prove harder. I'm not sure you've thought this through enough.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:29 PM   #60
Broomie

Quote:
Fan game? Read it again. I'm going to get the rights/permission to use the rights, and commercially publish this game, an (un?)official sequel.
Yep it's been asked before but... do you have more than $1,000,000 in your pocket? Because I don't think LEC would sell the rights just for a 5 dollar gift voucher at Penny's.

There have been so many ambitious guys such as yourself, Elliot. 99.99% of them do not suceed in what they want. 0.01% are apart of Lucasfan Games. If you did manage... somehow... to get the rights, what would be your role in the team? The big guy with the whips who tells everyone what he wants or will you actually work on this project? From reading this I can see you're not a programmer (not a good one at that) and 3D is harder than you think. And plot development is actually one of the hardest aspects of game making. Harder than programming I tell you that if you're on your own.

Don't give up your day job, if you can deliver me a Monkey Island sequel where Elaine is British then make me proud, sonny boy.

Last edited by Broomie; 08-29-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Broomie is offline   you may:
Old 08-29-2005, 05:05 AM   #61
Dekzor
Lurker

but when the new Monkey Island 5 is to buy in the shop? I will play him!!
Dekzor is offline   you may:
Old 08-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #62
Gabez

You will what?

...Just get out.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #63
Dekzor
Lurker

hmm...
Dekzor is offline   you may:
Old 08-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #64
poolking

Just glanced through this thread and Elliot, you don't have a chance of getting Lucas Arts to say yes unless you paid them in excess of a 7 figure sum and if you think game developers are going to work for peanuts then you are greatly mistaken.

Have you actually thought this through properly?
poolking is offline   you may:
Old 08-29-2005, 04:02 PM   #65
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
His last post being 4 days ago, I doubt he's reading this anymore. Pity.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #66
poolking

True it would have been nice to hear his response, hey we never know he could be raiding the piggy bank to get the money together.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #67
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
I'm putting my money on a bake sale, these apparently always make money...why people don't do it when they just want some extra cash, I'll never know.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #68
monkey_05_06

Mmmm...bake sale.

This is the bestestest idea evar. Everyone should give him all their monnies so he can win the LucasArtz!!!1!

Just kidding. I'm not really that stupid.

(Flibble...back me up on this!!!)
monkey_05_06 is offline   you may:
Old 09-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #69
Elliott Hird
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomie
Yep it's been asked before but... do you have more than $1,000,000 in your pocket? Because I don't think LEC would sell the rights just for a 5 dollar gift voucher at Penny's.

There have been so many ambitious guys such as yourself, Elliot. 99.99% of them do not suceed in what they want. 0.01% are apart of Lucasfan Games. If you did manage... somehow... to get the rights, what would be your role in the team? The big guy with the whips who tells everyone what he wants or will you actually work on this project? From reading this I can see you're not a programmer (not a good one at that) and 3D is harder than you think. And plot development is actually one of the hardest aspects of game making. Harder than programming I tell you that if you're on your own.

Don't give up your day job, if you can deliver me a Monkey Island sequel where Elaine is British then make me proud, sonny boy.
Incorrect. Yawn.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #70
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Would you like to say what you found incorrect about that quote, because, personally, I found it all to be quite accurate?

And why exactly do you strive to not give full answers to questions?

Old 09-14-2005, 10:09 PM   #71
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
He highlighted it. Honestly.

Being as he is who he is, and I don't know him, I have to agree with him. How can any of us prove anything? Not easily.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may:
Old 09-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #72
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Heh, if that's what he was refering to, I would like to know exactly how he thinks 3D programming isn't harder than most other types of programming.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #73
LeChimp9696
Rookie

I don't think anyone else apart from Lucas Arts can do the Monkey Island brand justice. If anyone else tried creating the new one, it would lose all the magic. Monkey Island brand is a package consisting of unique humour, characters, artwork, sound, atmosphere etc. No other party can replicate all these attributes perfectly. If attempted it would just turn out to be just another adventure game and not Monkey Island.
LeChimp9696 is offline   you may:
Old 09-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #74
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
I don't think the thing that made Monkey Island so memorable was LucasArts per se, as EMI doesn't really compare to the first three in my opinion. I think another company could easily make a Monkey Island game that's better than a new LucasArts version.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may:
Old 09-16-2005, 01:07 PM   #75
Alien426

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp9696
I don't think anyone else apart from Lucas Arts can do the Monkey Island brand justice. If anyone else tried creating the new one, it would lose all the magic. Monkey Island brand is a package consisting of unique humour, characters, artwork, sound, atmosphere etc. No other party can replicate all these attributes perfectly. If attempted it would just turn out to be just another adventure game and not Monkey Island.
Is that correct for Sam & Max as well? Because Telltale Games will make Sam & Max 2.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #76
poolking

Quote:
Incorrect. Yawn.
Are we keeping you up Elliot? Way past your bedtime?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:26 AM   #77
Elliott Hird
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolking
Are we keeping you up Elliot? Way past your bedtime?
This thread's use is all but gone now.
^ Nearly a month non-stop
Old 09-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #78
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
This thread's use is all but gone now.
Well, if you think so...

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > Monkey Island 5: Return To Monkey Island