lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What do you NOT want in KOTOR III?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-29-2005, 09:48 PM   #121
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
^Did you not hear of a game called "Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords"?!?! That is a prime example of greedy, lazy devs.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2005, 09:54 PM   #122
FiEND_138

^
Did you not hear of a company called LucasArts pushing the dev timetable up & leaving us with what we have to play...

This is a 'prime example' of lazy $$ driven suits pushing a game out the door that wasn't ready to be shipped, not the devs..

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 01:19 AM   #123
Blaze629
Rookie

That is probably true. How much stuff came out in the press and on the internet late last year and early this year about how this game was rushed for the Christmas season? I heard a ton of rumors and after playing the game I think most are agreed that the devs, or LA, or both did rush the last one. Way too many bugs and some storylines that just ended too abruptly. Hopefully this time things will be different.
Blaze629 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 02:44 AM   #124
SITHSLAYER133

im sick of people bad mothing the devs the fact that obsidian got the license when they did and completely redesign an engine is friggin maraculous the reason they pushed it out quickly was lucasarts problem

People in life Should Be given A single Choice where do they want to be Shot!
SITHSLAYER133 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 AM   #125
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
^Did you not hear of a game called "Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords"?!?! That is a prime example of greedy, lazy devs.
Shoot first and ask questions later, right?

Ahem. As Fiend_138 points out, LA (as the distributor) did have a small part to play in the finished product. Yes, those heartless corporate bastards. Don't they understand that if they really try, they can run a business without worrying about profitability? I mean, if they just went out and got one of those trees that grows money, they wouldn't have to worry about how they are going to finance the other games that they want to make. Or maybe they can partner with a developer willing to work for no money, but gets the satisfaction of long hours doing something that they love. That has to be it right? I mean we're talking video games. Economics and business don't belong here. Sheesh. [/sarcasm]

Not that OE is off the hook either. They could have certainly chosen to blow off their gold date. A move that almost would have guaranteed that they would not have turned a profit for the 13 grueling months they spent developing the game. And don't forget labeling themselves "unreliable" on their maiden voyage. Silly profit hungry devs.

As for everyone that wants to bemoan the capitalist system set before us, face the facts: gaming is a business. In order for business to sustain itself, it has to be profitable. R&D that give us new console technology and new game engines is financed by profit. The more profitable a company is the more it can pay for high quality devs that make high quality games. We all hope that the people working in this industry feel passionate about what they do, but passion alone does not pay the bills. [/rant]
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 06:30 AM   #126
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
This might be a little off topic, buti've heard of another reason why K2 is so f*cked:

Bioware is a company that works for the fans, not for the Publishers.
What i've heared: Since kotor was a big succes, LA wanted a second one as soon as possible, so it they could cash. Bioware however, said the needed time to tweak things, and make a nice new game. LA then contracted the (relatively unknown) campany named Obsidian. A little and young company, easy to put pressure on, and blame for a bad game.
Bioware then started making games their way, what resulted in Jade Empire and soon to be Mass Effect. While these games where/are very good and original, and appreciated by all, Kotor 2 was written off like an ' Easy sequal, bad game, or lowsy cash-maker.'

All i want to say:
Dont blame Obsidian, blame LA!

PS: Obsidian is now working on Neverwinter Knights 2 under the supervision of Bioware. So Bioware trust them.

PPS: Since Obsidian isn't working on K3 (unless they split up the team)...who is?

PPPS: HK-47 will appear in the Add-on for Galaxies, another proof of LA's dollar-fetish

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #127
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Bioware was offered first pass at TSL but declined due to the fact that they were working on Jade Empire. They recommended that OE take on TSL because the new company was comprised of many talented former Bioware employees. OE began working on TSL right before KotOR hit the shelves. Because they were getting a complete game engine and toolset they felt confident agreeing to an aggressive release schedule. Some of the more ambitious tweaks they wanted to make ended up not being as easy as anticipated and ate up more time and resources than they counted on.

This is based on press releases and published articles. While your post may also be true, it seems to be based off rumor and conjecture.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #128
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Sorry, I didn't realize it was LA's fault. I assumed they were sensible and would want to keep the target market with a complete game.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:41 AM   #129
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
True Achilles...

my post was just about a rumour..
Thanks for still supporting the 'Hate LA' Club though

Old 10-31-2005, 12:36 PM   #130
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
How about I just sum it all up?

NO MORE UNFINISHED GAMES!!!!

There .

Seriously though, I wonder if Obsidian had had the time to finish KotOR II what it would have become.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2005, 05:41 PM   #131
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
^ It would have lived up to everything we heard about it. It would have been just as good as the first game, if not better.
Stupid corporate greed.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #132
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Hehe... Kind of reminds me of the countless quotes in movies, "...scared of what it may have become..."
Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 PM   #133
yeznik
Lurker

Hmm I'd Like to See A Pet System Something Like In Dungeon Siege 2. Where I can Have One Of The Young Rancors From The Unknown World Or A Gizka, Hell I'd Like Any Of the Creatures From Kotor or TSL In My Party. Maybe Even Rideable Ones (Imagine Riding A Scathound Or a Teterank(notsureifspelledcorrectly) Into Battle!)
yeznik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2005, 10:20 PM   #134
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
^Welcome to the Forums (I love saying that)
I think you mean a Tarantatek. I would love to have a pet Ton-Ton (I know I spelt it wrong).
Old 10-31-2005, 10:52 PM   #135
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker
True Achilles...

my post was just about a rumour..
Thanks for still supporting the 'Hate LA' Club though
Where did I insinuate that? I don't "hate" LA anymore than I "hate" OE. Any for-profit business has to take risks. OE and LA took a risk with TSL. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out as planned, but I've seen nothing to indicate that any one party is any more (or less) "to blame" than the other. Really...get over it.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:46 AM   #136
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Doctor, it is "Taun-taun."
Old 11-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #137
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
@ Achilles: Sorry, just a stupid joke..i meant you still agrre with LA beiing the one responsable for K2

Why would you want a Mount system in Kotor? :s
You can travel with a ship, and the modules and levels aren't big enough to support mount, i think...

On the other hand, if the use a new engine..with bigger modules...
I would just frickin love to ride on a Utapau Lizzard like Boga in Episode 3, while swingin my lightsaber around to behead some Sith....

Old 11-01-2005, 01:03 PM   #138
RobQel-Droma
Blah

How would you work that out in an RPG, would it target the enemy and then the animal would run over and you would attack? Of course, you could ride it on you own when not in combat. The only thing is, if there were cliffs, unless they changed something then you wouldn't have much of a danger. In a game like JA, on the swoop bike level, if you went off the edge you would die. I would like to see that if it was just you and you could fall off the edge.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:38 PM   #139
yeznik
Lurker

Well Depending On Creature It Could Wear Armor Or Have Weapon Upgrades like Synthetic organs and implants. Combat would be similar to normal combat but when it levels it could mature like a Scathound Would start as a pup then as it levels up it gets bigger Till it reaches full maturity with creature related feats and items. Also Dantooine In Kotor 1 Was Relatively large and if you didnt have force speed took a while to get around and then you find a few mandalorians and

hehehe sorry that was a bit too hard to resist

But mounted combat would be a bit difficult=S so i guess i have to forget about that
yeznik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2005, 12:17 AM   #140
Samurai DD

I can even digest a horrible history in K3, if it has A REAL ENDING!!!!!! And no bugs please.

That's all. Everything else is superflous.
Samurai DD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2005, 12:18 AM   #141
RobQel-Droma
Blah

It would be a nice addition. Perhaps going off on another angle on the upgrading, have puppets like B-D's remote, except make them upgradeable. Nothing big, just perhaps some attribute bonuses, some little micro-armor for the remote, perhaps some leather covering for the beast. And then have some implants for the creature, and some things you could plug into the remote to assist them in some area.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:42 AM   #142
†Saint_Killa†

what i don't like:
1. stupid cutscenes like G0-T0 and bao dur's remote sH!+!!!!
2. same storyline(if you are DS, "RULE THE WORLD!!!!!" and if you are LS "SAVE THE WORLD!!!!")
3. dantooine(it's so used up in k1)
4. repetitive animations(is't so boring to see ur PC attacking in the same style over and over again!!!)
5. repetitive alien voice overs(ever heard of a rodian sound like a droid?!!?)
6. game engine(if they wish to retain the current game engine "AT LEAST GIVE MORE SHADOWS AND LIGHTING AND MOST IMPORTANT MORE REALISTIC TEXTURE AND ENVIRONMENT!!!)

for the moderators: is my avatar obscene, if so just tell me

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #143
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Saint_Killa†
for the moderators: is my avatar obscene, if so just tell me
yes, and so is your location.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #144
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
You know,

Your is too....
I'm from Holland, and we have an 'other' type of coffee shop

Old 11-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #145
IndianaSolo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Sorry, I didn't realize it was LA's fault. I assumed they were sensible and would want to keep the target market with a complete game.
You haven't followed Lucasarts very closely then. Atleast not in recent years. They've been the poster boy for "fast and crappy quality over slow and good quality".

Darth Maul - The Forgotten Sith
IndianaSolo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #146
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
I haven't payed any attention to anything LA has been doing since KotOR came out.
Quote:
You know,

Your is too....
I'm from Holland, and we have an 'other' type of coffee shop
HOLLAND RULES! Have you ever been into a "coffee shop?". It's not pretty. None of that stuff is.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #147
leley
Lurker

First time poster...thought this would b as good a place 2 start as any...

DO NOT WANT TO SEE:
- same planets, if we must hit the same planets, fine, make it quick and ez, but pls keep most of the plot on entirely new planets and pls let's hit the core worlds..
- same party npc's as the old one, I get the importace of HK and T3, but there could be different droids on this one (and if they bring G0T0 back I think I might kill someone)
- about the ship, some1 said to start in one ship and end in the Ebon Hawk, that's a good idea...
- don't really care for a ton of jedi in the party, 3-4 tops, you and your padawan, mayb a couple more.
- starting as a jedi...the PC might as well start as a sith, and mayb come to turn to the light side
- human starting PC only, so many races out there, let us start with something else

DON'T CARE EITHER WAY, BUT...
- i do want the story to end, but forget the Exile and Revan, they're both gone, start 2 generations of jedi after the Exile, say all those jedi trained @ the hawk became the new council, they have since died, brand new council (trained by them) and that's where you come in to clean up
leley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #148
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Welcome to the Forums!

Anyways, I agree with all your ideas except for two. The alien thing and the forgetting of Revan and the Exile. There were too many unfinished things and unanswered questions. And I don't like the idea of being a alien, Star Wars is all about a human hero. Besides, I am a human, so it is natural to play as one.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:00 AM   #149
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
@ The Doctor: Do you really think Holland is one big Weed paradise? Believe me, it isn't. Although it is easily to get, it isn't accepted by the country.
I live in the North-East part of Holland, near Groningen (the footballteam Arjen Robben came from before Chelsea and PSV) and we don't have problems with junks etc. it's mainly a problem in the big cities.
And i just said it to provocate I know foreigners have a strange view on these things.

@ Topic
What i don't want in K3:
-Wookie: Find something more original! Use a Noghri (assasin species) or a Plo Koon or something like that.
-Same Engine: I play tons of games, and Kotor is surpassed by all. Fable came out for X-Box too, and really looks better. I have an Ati Radeaon X700 Pro Advantage (Good card) and i can;t play Kotor on highest. It's just a port of the X-Box :s
-The Amnesia proces: Seems that every Jedi of the Old republic is suffering from it....
-More heads: i can't identify myself with the character i play. It's to static, to emotionless.
-Customisbale stuff: I would like some customisable robes and saber...would enhance the connection with your pc.

PS: If you are dutch, Doctor, i appolagise....we Dutch just talk and typ English to well...i couldn't read if you where Dutch or not

Old 11-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #150
RobQel-Droma
Blah

You have go to at least let there be an option for a Wookiee, say you go dark side or if you just are able to choose by yourself, you can get a Noghri/Trandoshan/whatever, but there needs to be a Wookiee for the wookiee lovers out there (like me )
Old 11-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #151
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
@ The Doctor: Do you really think Holland is one big Weed paradise? Believe me, it isn't. Although it is easily to get, it isn't accepted by the country.
I live in the North-East part of Holland, near Groningen (the footballteam Arjen Robben came from before Chelsea and PSV) and we don't have problems with junks etc. it's mainly a problem in the big cities.
And i just said it to provocate I know foreigners have a strange view on these things.
He's Canadian

I understand this. I find it quite amazing that one side of Holland is extremely "liberal" as the Americans would say while the other is very religious.

Oh and most of these kids here wouldn't know who the hell van Nistelrooy or Seedorf are so they probably won't know Arjen Robben

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #152
leley
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQel-Droma
Welcome to the Forums!

Anyways, I agree with all your ideas except for two. The alien thing and the forgetting of Revan and the Exile. There were too many unfinished things and unanswered questions. And I don't like the idea of being a alien, Star Wars is all about a human hero. Besides, I am a human, so it is natural to play as one.
I think it should tie in, but w/o an actual appearance, bsides, the Exile we might only b able to see him/her from behind w/ the robe's hood on, bcause unlike Revan (who had that mask) there's nothing like that for the Exile...what r they gonna do, we choose a face for the PC, and another for the Exile?
leley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2005, 12:21 AM   #153
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
He's Canadian
Actually, I may be Canadian, but my father is Dutch (he was born in Alkmaar). I know Holland isn't just one big crack house or something like that. It's a heck of a lot cleaner there than it is over here.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #154
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
1. No Dantooine. Korriban will do.
2. Not Same Engine.
3. Weak Jedi (I mean, the Jedi had to get strong sometime along that period, right)
4. Horrible Alien Voice Acting
5. Plot-Holes

That's all, I suppose. Oh yeah,

6. Gungans

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2005, 01:25 AM   #155
†Saint_Killa†

what else will they put on korriban anyway... mostly it was very used up in the first two games.

-Duality
Old 11-05-2005, 02:34 AM   #156
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
^^^
They only used up that one area. I mean, they really milked it. The rest of Korriban (the grand underground tombs, lava, etc) remain unexplored.

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2005, 02:50 AM   #157
†Saint_Killa†

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSkye
^^^
They only used up that one area. I mean, they really milked it. The rest of Korriban (the grand underground tombs, lava, etc) remain unexplored.
How many sith lord's tombs have already been explored?

If they put back Korriban they might as well make all the sithlords tombs explorable except for the one's who already been looted.

-Duality
Old 11-05-2005, 03:07 AM   #158
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Or at least make the ones that we do explore much more expansive (though I suppose I've just been spoiled by JA's grand portrayal of Korriban ).

90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2005, 06:56 AM   #159
BattleDog
Terrible in War

Roleplayer 
Okay: What I don't want:

Prequel style robes, the K1 ones were cooler and fitted more with the Knights (comics) feel.

Battle Meditation, it felt really corny to have that as a power after they made such a big thing out of it in K1.

Force bond with an old lady, the Bastila one made sense because your in love. If they want to have you fall in love and then form a bond, fine.

No more stamping on K1's story or vilifying Reven.

No Reven light = Exile Dark, thats just stupid.

No defence bonuses, armour should add hitpoints or reduce damage.

No "sniper" rifles with a range under fourty metres.

NO USING THE FILMS AS A CRUTCH WHEN THE DEV RUNS OUT OF IDEAS (K2)

No convoluted plot about a galactic conspiracy, give me an enemy I know from the start then tell me to do all the sneaking around.

No "magic jedi" for the PC half way through the game.

No duff combat animations.

No new interface or mechanics.

No GO-TO.

No silly or pointless force powers.

No pumped up level one (K2), just start me on level five.

No crippled force points for Guardians.

No crippled skill points for anyone except Scoundrals.

No new ship.

No Korriban or Dantooine, they both got toasted, leave them.

No anachronisms, Nohgri for example, who only got discovered in the Clone Wars.

No multibranched storyline for K1, just leave Reven LS Male like it says he was and be done with it. At least that way 50% of us will feel like we made a difference in the at least one game.

No Grey areas like in K2, this is Star Wars, there is a light side and a dark side.

What we must have:

T3 and HK.

Carth walk on, maybe even a spell as him, with blasters.

A new plot, not just a rehash.

Jolee Bindo, with at least three pieces of advice.

Master Vandar.

The Republic less than half dead.

Fly Fast,
Shoot Straight,
Live Long!
BattleDog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #160
†Saint_Killa†

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDog
Okay: What I don't want:

No "sniper" rifles with a range under fourty metres.
Correction: Oh, there are no sniper rifles. But there is a sniper shot feat that only fires more, less, or exactly 40 meters.

-Duality
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > What do you NOT want in KOTOR III?