lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: No ROTS VHS
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 AM   #1
Jaden25
Rookie

Smile No ROTS VHS

Has anybody read the news that there will be no VHS release of ROTS along
with the loong awaited DVD.Maybe Lucasfilm will see how good the DVD sales
will do then make there mind rather to go ahead with VHS copies of the movie
because this has happen before with other movies I think.But let me know if
you guys has heard the news about no VHS release of ROTS I myself is leaning
toward the DVD verison of the film anyway.........
Jaden25 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Zappa_0
JOM Director

The reasons for the decision to do that is that the VHS sales arnt really really good these days. The big market right now is DVD and PSP. They might put some out throught the star wars website if they get a good number of request, but I kinda doubt it.
Zappa_0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Leviathan

This fact marks the end of VHS, to favour DVDs... (Same thing happened with VHS and Betamax ; And it will occur again for DVDs and Blu-Ray or HD-DVD)
Leviathan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Well considering it costs more to print out vhs' than you'll make back, it's a smart decision.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-31-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
Soogz
Forumite

Current Game: Fifa 09
What did you expect? VHS is outdated. LONG LIVE DVD!

Soogz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Leviathan

But do not forget DVDs will follow VHS fastly... So, long life to the Numeric's future...
Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
Nom_Anor
Rookie

VHS's are almost obsilite and most people have a DVD player or at least have a computer that can play DVD's not too metion that the life span of a VHS is about 1/100 of a DVD because the DVD are digital and VHS are analog.

Only The Dead Have Seen The End Of War.
-Plato
Nom_Anor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Most people these days have a DVD player... I'm not surprised that they aren't releasing a VHS. Actually, before hearing about this, I would have been surprised if they had released a VHS version.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
access_flux

i agree moeller. it wasn't something i thought about a lot, but now that its been talked about, i would be suprised if they made a VHS version. i almost find it odd, going to video shops and seeing VHS on the shelves.

'If the animals could play hardcore, we'd be better friends instead of eating them with chips'
access_flux is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #10
Leviathan

We can't forget easily them, especially when you have a small collection of VHS...
But I guess those "antiquated objects" will take value with time...
Old 09-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #11
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
VHS still rocks

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
How so exactly?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #13
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I dunno, I guess the feeling of nostalgia...

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #14
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
First Lucas refused to release any Star Wars movies on DVD, now he's refusing to release this one on VHS? How times have changed! But this is more in keeping with what we THOUGHT Lucas was saying all those years about how he didn't want inferior technology to diminish his masterpieces as they were "meant to be seen."

Still, you'd think the Wal-Mart/Blockbuster crowd would feel a bit snubbed not to have any ROTS tapes this November. A few bootleggers will make some bucks off of it. It's not as if LucasFilm and 20th Century Fox couldn't afford to put one out. Anyway...

I don't know if a new format will overtake DVD so quickly. DVD is so affordable and available, whereas HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (format war, can we say?) requires you to purchase not only a new player, but a new TV in order to take advantage of the new resolution, and these sets are still quite expensive (plus plasmas are short-lived wastes of cash). DVD has a vast library covering practically every movie or TV show. The new format mostly has a few main titles and some newer movies, but a small fraction of what would take many years to build. Even PC users would have to purchase new drives in order to view the material (to say nothing of new software to play the discs).

While afficianados have their entertainment center and are building their library already, many people either get stuck after buying an HD-TV that they only use to watch DVD's on (since they'd have to spend even more cash on a HD reciever and service to get broadcast quality HD-TV). Many I'm sure can't justify purchasing HD subscriptions in order to watch news and weather in ultra high resolution. Sports and movies are where it's at, but people have jobs and lives if they have the money. DVD movies are better because you can watch them anytime. So you have pay per view (even more money), but where's the ability to record? So you need a recordable format for the high def. So you're talking a major investment and adjustment for people who want the full benefits of HD. Most people will look at the digital/DVD equivalents they have now and say "good enough."

The average person can see a vast difference in quality between VHS and DVD, even without high-end equipment, and the differences in format offer vast, easily recognizable benefits (smaller physical size, cheaper starting price for new movies on the format, room for special features, skip right to a scene, no tape stretching shortening the life of your movie, etc), which are not so readily apparent to the average consumer between DVD and HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Plus we have Superbit and stuff like that which push the limits of quality on the format already.

Honestly, while the various companies are soon going to do a push to promote their specific format, I don't see DVD dying off anytime soon, and I don't want it to happen either.

VHS has been with us for several decades, DVD for barely one, it's just beginning to come into it's own, really. And the PSP's favored movie format "UMD" is lower quality & bare bones, designed that way specifically for cheap, easy viewing of popular/new movies on this portable console (alternative to the many portable DVD players and any laptop that comes standard with a DVD drive and software). Time will tell if it's a flash in the pan or not.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #15
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
If there was a reasonable demand for VHS, they would be putting out VHS. There obviously isn't that demand.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2005, 12:39 PM   #16
Kurgan
Headhunter

Since when has "demand" meant anything to Lucas? He side-steps the demands of his fans all the time!

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 09-10-2005, 07:11 PM   #17
El Sitherino
The Original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Since when has "demand" meant anything to Lucas? He side-steps the demands of his fans all the time!
Tiresome rhetoric.
You know better than to open that can of worms Kurgan. xP

Still, Lucas has a duty to his company and employees. VHS printing is just not cost effective and just wasting money.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #18
Leviathan

Yet another question of profitability...
Old 09-11-2005, 11:57 PM   #19
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
If DVDs were ultra hi-cost I could understand, but you can get a bare bones DVD player for the price of a DVD itself nowdays. Ive just been in asia, and absolutely no one has VHS over there. Its all DVD, and before that they had already moved on from VHS and had standalone VCD players. VHS is indeed dead... I just wish DV tape dies just as quickly...

still, it would prolly be a good idea to put out some "limited edition" VHS with fancy packaging and charge ultra $$$ for it

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #20
Leviathan

Where have you been exactly, in Asia ?...
Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #21
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan
Where have you been exactly, in Asia ?...
Ive only been to Thailand and Singapore, but have heard the same thing from friends in HK and Japan. Couldnt see a VHS tape or tape player in any store I went into. With the advent of DVD, theres a glut of VCDs at the moment, where you can get alot of titles very cheap. I found a VCD set of an old chinese TV series I really love. It hasnt been released on DVD yet so I was glad to pick up a 10 disc set for the equivalent of $10(Australian)

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #22
Leviathan

You know that all those regions and countries possess evolved technologies. So, it isn't surprising if they have no longer VHS or other "antiquities"...
Old 09-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #23
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Sith
Tiresome rhetoric.
You know better than to open that can of worms Kurgan. xP

Still, Lucas has a duty to his company and employees. VHS printing is just not cost effective and just wasting money.
Oh is this topic off limits around you? LoL! Maybe you're tired of talking about it, but some of us aren't, as long as it is topical. And as long as people like me point out Lucas's missteps, people like you can counter with apologetics. It's all good. I'm sure Lucas has nothing to worry about.

Tech-heads like us hate obsolete technology, but not everybody is like us, after all.

I see that Blockbuster Video (at least the one in my old hometown in Iowa) has eliminated its collection of VHS tapes (except for the "family" section), so other businesses are apparently seeing this wisdom as well. I don't think Family Video (the other big chain) has yet though.

VHS costs more than DVD to produce, but it's "cost effective" as long as they're making money (sales offsetting costs). There are enough VCR's that they're guarenteed to have sales, but if sales have been falling and they've been losing money I can understand that. If they're just anticipating losing money, oh well.

In any case, I won't miss VHS much (once I get all my old movies converted over to digital format). As long as they keep selling blank tapes for awhile, I don't much care if they stop releasing new movies on it. I do think the idea that DVD will be forced out the door so quickly is a rather silly one (but then the industry leaders can make mistakes too, remember DIVX?).

Anyway, R.I.P VHS: 1976-2005

Old 09-22-2005, 02:32 PM   #24
guybroom
Troezen

I dont mind dvd taking over from vhs, but i think they should have some form of vhs for a while. Even if it is just blank tapes to record on. Over here in the UK, some shops stopped selling VCRs about 2 years ago (but most still stock some cheap ones).

I want ROTS to be on vhs and dvd because i have all the other 5 films on VHS (im planning on getting a boxset of the 6 dvds if they do them). Lucas should let people finish their collections - or is their plan to make people buy the dvds of the others to have the set?

And on a side topic, when is the ROTS dvd coming out? and is there any word on clone wars series 2?

((POST 999 - 1 MORE TO GO!!! ))

IM NOT GOING TO BE ON THE FORUMS VERY OFTEN NOW! I MIGHT BE ON TIME TO TIME, BUT IVE BASICLY GIVEN UP THE FORUMS NOW!!!!

bye all

Guybroom
guybroom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #25
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybroom
nd on a side topic, when is the ROTS dvd coming out?
If all goes well... November 1st, 2005

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-24-2005, 02:48 PM   #26
Leviathan

In the same time as SWBF II, so...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:11 PM   #27
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
Ive only been to Thailand and Singapore, but have heard the same thing from friends in HK and Japan. Couldnt see a VHS tape or tape player in any store I went into. With the advent of DVD, theres a glut of VCDs at the moment, where you can get alot of titles very cheap. I found a VCD set of an old chinese TV series I really love. It hasnt been released on DVD yet so I was glad to pick up a 10 disc set for the equivalent of $10(Australian)

mtfbwya
Interesting assesment. LD also seemed to have a longer lifespan in Asia, despite its failure in the states (then again it lasted a long time, but it appealed only to hardcore movie buffs due to its high cost and being so cumbersome). VCD's are actually lower quality than commercially produced tapes and don't typically feature extras or even widescreen, the real perk is their cheapness and the ability to play them on computers.

VCD's were never popular over here in the states, and you usually only see them produced by fans or obtained from pirates. "Lower quality cheap convenience" does have its place though, look at the PSP's UMD movies. Those things are crap compared to DVD and yet they're selling (I guess... but who knows for how long).

But it all depends. I mean if a crap format like VCD can survive next to LD and DVD then perhaps DVD can survive next to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (once they decide on a standard after a costly format war).

Old 09-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #28
guybroom
Troezen

i can kinda work out what HD-TV is, but can someone explain to me what Blu-ray is?

IM NOT GOING TO BE ON THE FORUMS VERY OFTEN NOW! I MIGHT BE ON TIME TO TIME, BUT IVE BASICLY GIVEN UP THE FORUMS NOW!!!!

bye all

Guybroom
Old 09-30-2005, 02:04 PM   #29
Kurgan
Headhunter

It's one of the two competing formats for "High Definition" for the home market.

The other is HD-DVD. They're both high capacity discs capable of storing High Definition movies (the same quality of HD TV). IIRC Blu-Ray is stored in a kind of cartridge so you never have to touch the disc itself (unless you want to for some reason). For the official specs, google it, I don't have them memorized off hand.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:37 PM   #30
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...px?NewsId=8451

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000623059130/

^^^^ 2 decent links without aot of "jargon" mixed in to make it incomprehensible

Simpler put.. it's all about storage space, but more importantly 'self-serving' better encryption methods since that wasn't taken into account during the initial DVD manufacturing technology (at least not as serious as the problems that have been arriving lately with warez and rips).

Old 09-30-2005, 11:06 PM   #31
Kurgan
Headhunter

Wait, encryption methods weren't taken into account with DVD? What about all that fuss over "deCSS"? Granted, they got defeated and instead of inventing a better method, they tried to shut the person(s) up who figured it out, but still.

Anyway, water under the bridge I guess. I don't see the new formats being immune from warez forever, but maybe that is a dream of the higher ups.

Even if they latch onto (which I'm sure they have) the "Digital Rights Management" revolution of palladium and the new Windows versions, what about the millions who watch them on set top players? What about third party players (equivalent to the "region free" dvd players we have now) and fan-made "firmware hacks"? It'll be hell stopping all that from happening. At one time I remember some articles naively touting the large file sizes as being prohibitive from pirates (which of course ignores the enterprising bootleggers of Asia completely). What with the speed and availability of broadband, large hard drives and fast burning capabilities of cheap blank media (their consumer base would never stand for a lack of a recordable version of HD media), etc. Anyway, sorry to get off topic.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 PM   #32
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Wait, encryption methods weren't taken into account with DVD? What about all that fuss over "deCSS"? Granted, they got defeated and instead of inventing a better method, they tried to shut the person(s) up who figured it out, but still.
Oh yeah.. they (encryptions) were, but it wasn't a big 'concern' for them at the time. It was mostly compatibility, writing methods, blah blah. The basic stuff just to get the darned format to work was on the minds moreso than anything.

Since DVD's were "revolutionary" I suppose they didn't see a mass swarming of copyright violations. Since the technology was new (on the consumer end) my guess is they thought that deCSS was a new enough method to prevent tampering since it was relatively an unknown method to the general Joe's & Jane's that would be using it...

After the deCSS was figured out.. then the proverbial "sh** sandwich" was served

Old 10-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #33
Kurgan
Headhunter

I figure copyprotection is always a concern. Look at the "macrovision" junk on VHS.

Sure it hasn't worked in the long run, but they're always thinking about it, even if they don't do it right.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #34
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought i'd tell everyone that I saw ROTS on VHS in Tesco (UK) the other day.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2005, 12:52 AM   #35
DarthAve
Yeezy

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
Well, this really freakin' sucks. We have a dvd player, but it's never used. HOW AM I GONNA COMPLETE MY VHS COLLECTION?!?!
DarthAve is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2005, 04:35 AM   #36
Kurgan
Headhunter

I just bought a Panasonic DVD/VHS recorder for my family over Thanksgiving. Perhaps over the Christmas break I'll see if I can convert my new DVD to tape, just to see if it's possible.

Note: No, I won't send anyone a copy, but I will let you know if I succeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought i'd tell everyone that I saw ROTS on VHS in Tesco (UK) the other day.
Perhaps we spoke too soon! I could easily see the movie cropping up in certain markets (legally) in the format, again, based on the market... sort of like LD's and VCD's prospering in Asia while they dried up in other markets.

So was it a PAL bootleg, or the real deal, out of curiosity?

Amazon.com has an entry for the VHS version of ROTS, but it appears to be merely a placeholder (they're notorious for putting those in after all).

Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 AM   #37
guybroom
Troezen

Quote:
So was it a PAL bootleg, or the real deal, out of curiosity?
I havnt seen it, but if machinecult saw it in Tescos, then its gonna be real. Tescos doesnt sell bootleg stuff!

I dont know if Tescos is anywhere else other than in the UK, but its the biggest supermarket chain in the UK and its very unlikely that they would sell bootlegs.

bye all

Guybroom
Old 11-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #38
Kurgan
Headhunter

Okay, well then it sounds like we've got a PAL tape. I noticed some people are selling them online, but information about them is rather sparse.

Old 11-28-2005, 12:28 AM   #39
El Sitherino
The Original.

It could easily be independent production, much like the old Scooby Doo VHS prints.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:30 PM   #40
guybroom
Troezen

PAL tapes? What are they?

bye all

Guybroom
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > No ROTS VHS