lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ase conversion help
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-16-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
JeeMonkey
Rookie

ase conversion help

hey yall, i made a model out of brushes and set it up just like ur supposed to to convert it to ase, then i open q3toolz and convert it only when it comes out all the textures are resized and **** and it pisses me off!
what code should i use in q3toolz to fix this problem?
JeeMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2005, 03:32 AM   #2
lassev
cryptoscripter

I have no idea what q3toolz is, but I got my ase creation working following this tutorial:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2#...t_of_brushwork

It takes a little work and understanding to follow the tutorial, and you need to make your own batch files for the ase compile and convert. But it's good to learn these small things anyway, so you hardly lose anything.

Frozen by ICARUS
lassev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2005, 02:11 PM   #3
JeeMonkey
Rookie

That tutorial is what I have been using, and it does turn my geometry into an ase model. However, once I create the ase model and view it in radiant, I see that the textures on the surface of the model have been reduced and redisperced and it is ugly. Check out the websites below to see a before and after shot.

Before I compile my geometry... http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/3...icture15jc.png

After I compile, and view my ase model... http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/6...picture6tf.png
Old 09-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
lassev
cryptoscripter

Oh, that's a model in your after compile screenshot?

How come it contains caulk? Models aren't supposed to have such redundant surfaces. Your shaders aren't working as they should be. Who knows if your texture fitting / alignment problem is related to that.

Frozen by ICARUS
lassev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2005, 06:03 PM   #5
JeeMonkey
Rookie

Great, you just restated my problem, thanks. (no offence intended)
And what I meant by q3toolz is q3map2toolz. I was just too lazy to write the full name out :P

Also, if I do have a shader problem, plz tell me that it is a problem with q3map2toolz, and that I don't have to reinstall the game or gtk. My q3map2toolz version is [0.6.14]. Know this, that when I compile maps in gtk for play, I can not see caulk! Maybe this will help... This is the command code that I am using in q3map2toolz when I compile my geometry into an ase model:

Code:
"C:/path/to/q3map2.exe" -v -meta -patchmeta -subdivisons 6 -game jk3 "C:/path/to/base/maps/MAP.map"
"C:/path/to/q3map2.exe" -convert -format ase -game jk3 "C:/path/to/base/maps/MAP.bsp"
Old 09-17-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
ensiform
The Stig

Current Game: Borderlands 2
well for 1 jedi academy is not -game jk3 its -game ja.

and i would do the -game switch before -convert (and the others)... just good practice i guess.

also, as you probablly might know, the caulk 'hull' u build around the brush-work for converting, and the playerstart are not in the ase file. i'm also wondering since you have caulk as a texture on your brushes that, that might be affecting it... if u dont want to draw those faces, i would do nodrawnonsolid or nodraw or a clip where player's cannot get through maybe?

iojamp project lead / coder
ensiform is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
JeeMonkey
Rookie

actually, my q3map2toolz has been configured so that it is -game jk3.
also, i didnt have to make a caulk hull around my geometry to make an ase model.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:37 AM   #8
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Yes, you DO have to make a caulk hull around the model and add an info_player_start to the model .map file. Same rules about leaking apply to ase models as regular maps...

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
JeeMonkey
Rookie

Ok so here is what happened: many moons ago when I was a full time mapper, I did not have to make a caulk hull around my geometry to convert it to an ase model. All I had to do was make the geometry and put a 1x1x1 caulk structural brush in the middle of the geometry and then convert it all in q3map2toolz. This time, I tried that first and it didn't work. So I tried the caulk hull and again it didn't work. After many attempts I reolized that the reason neither way was working was because of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensiform
well for 1 jedi academy is not -game jk3 its -game ja.
So, once changed that, BOTH my way of using a "1x1x1 caulk structural brush in the middle of your geometry" and the common way of using a "caulk hull with an info_player_start" worked just the same to convert to an ase model. I appologize to Ensiform for doubting his words of wisdom, and I thank everyone for their time and effort in helping me solve this problem.

p.s. The "1x1x1 caulk structural brush in the middle of your geometry" is the exact way that WadeV1589 taught me to make .ase models. Is WadeV1589 still around?

Last edited by JeeMonkey; 09-18-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:03 AM   #10
Patrick_H

Putting the caulk shader on some of the models brush faces is perfectly OK. The caulk will simply omit those triangles from the finished .ase model.

This is the absolute best tutorial available for compiling .ase models. If you follow it closely, you can't go wrong.
http://www.map-review.com/index.php?...ial_view&id=29

NOTE: I have saved mslaf's command lines as choosable options in Q3map2 Toolz. The first is prepping your model as a .bsp file that will convert well to .ase format, and the second is an appropriate one to use to convert from .bsp to .ase.
Patrick_H is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Mapping > ase conversion help