lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Administrative Capabilties
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #41
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I'm sure it's possible to do the directional speaking like that but I don't know if you can determine how long the text stays on the screen from the server side.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #42
shukrallah
White Dragon

Yeah, a lot of people change the text timing on their PCs. Their PC settings over ride yours. In fact, a lot of "Lamers" get tired of hearing you guys yell, so they just set the time on screen to less than a second or something...
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #43
tarafudge

JA+ does it with the motd, isn't this the same thing?

"With every rise, there is a fall."
tarafudge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #44
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I have no idea. Don't play JA+ much.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:52 PM   #45
shukrallah
White Dragon

No, its not. Thats text printed on the screen. Your talking about Chat. Thats different, I think...
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 AM   #46
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Speaking of text on the screen, those "System messages" (the big text in the center of the screen like say when you get team switched) should have a cvar for it.. I mean by default it only stays on the screen for a way too short a time. I know people will still stupidly claim not to see it, but still. I barely have a chance to read it before it's gone!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #47
tarafudge

In our server what we do is broadcast it 3 or 4 times in a row to get it to stay up there, but theres gotta be a more elegant way.

lukeskywalker1, I'm not talking about the chat messages, I'm talking about the motd. In JA+ when you join a game the MOTD shows with a countdown from 5 seconds...

Old 10-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #48
Kurgan
Headhunter

Yeah. In reality the "motd" (Message of the Day) is the text that shows up on your LOADING screen. The stuff that nobody ever reads EVER, which is why nobody ever knew I was the admin of my own server. (Welcome to KURGAN'S MEATGRINDER!)

In other games they usually have a type of "motd" that actually displays ONSCREEN as you're entering the actual game, and disappears after a few seconds. That's what mods like JA+ do.

The "Big Chat Messages" (for lack of a better term) that appear in the center of your screen in OJP disappear far too quickly. The server needs to be able to set how long they stay onscreen, for EVERYONE (so users can't "mute" them).

Regular chat is no big deal. "Server" chat is usually ignored by people, but not always...

But definately make the "big chat messages" (including the "message of the day" which is in that same big a$$ font) stay onscreen longer than they do.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 10-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #49
tarafudge

More Features Requested:

1.) Name based bans and banned name wildcards (for banning those annoying server raids and stopping them in their tracks, and making sure that they don't come back with other names)

2.) Censors that actually sensor the text in question other than not displaying it at all, like on forums. This function would have a text file where you would define the words in question and what to replace it with.

3.) Spree messages that can be customized to display messages on multiple kills.. (possible?)

Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #50
Kurgan
Headhunter

I do miss the leads and sprees from Q3 (though UT's were better)... it's best when you have a voice calling it out though. Star Wars sound samples perhaps? "Impressive... most impressive" "Let the hate flow through you!" etc.

A customizable swear filter might be nice.

I see banning names as more useless than banning IP's... as there's an infinite number of names a person can use. And if the person is an undesirable type, what does it matter the name he uses?

Old 10-24-2005, 05:05 PM   #51
tarafudge

Well on the first connect, that person's IP would be banned because of his name, such as a clan with bad intentions toward the server and its members. If that person decides to leave than he can contact through other methods... I see this as more comprehensive, I know a person can change his name, and find a new computer to play on, but the purpose is to make it has hard as possible to return.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:17 PM   #52
Kurgan
Headhunter

I honestly don't see the benefit...

So I could just use this "feature" to ban anyone with the word "Darth" in their name. The instant they joined they would be IP banned. That's really stupid.

Just status and IP ban the guy. If he's trying to be "stealthy" he won't use a name you're going to recognize anyway, and somebody else might innocently use his name (after all, there's nothing to register a name, anyone can use it, period).

Your system wouldn't be anymore useful than an IP ban, as I see it. He can still use another ISP, proxy, computer, whatever. He can move around forever and you can keep banning him. The thing is, it's always easier for the admin because you just have to type a line. He has to jump through hoops. Banning names just ensures that people with a similar idea for a name are caught in the crossfire.

What's to stop a nasty person from impersonating somebody and getting them banned?

Besides having undue side effects for something that wouldn't be much (if any) more beneficial than the usual IP bans, this smacks of the "banning gun syndrome" of the admin mods, that makes it far too easy to punish people, leading lazy admins to make it difficult for anyone to play on their server, not just the "bad" ones.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #53
Jahandar
Rookie

Possible Solution?

Perhaps specialized gametypes would help. I see 2 possible options:

1. Duel-Only Gametype - Basically, all players are invulnerable until they enter a duel.

2. FFA/Duel Hybrid Gametype - Players can choose to be Duel-Only or open to FFA (Perhaps using a modified version of the team system).

For the hybrid gametype, players on the Duel "team" cannot take or inflict damage unless dueling. FFA players can attack other FFA players, but not players in Duel mode. Players can challenge anyone, regardless of their mode. Also, players should be able to switch modes without losing their score (but perhaps with a slight delay, to prevent exploitation).

Not sure about the technical feasability of this, but I thought I'd offer the idea for consideration, at least.
Jahandar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2006, 06:24 PM   #54
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
Gah, no.

There's really only one more gametype we need to see, and it's called Team Holocron FFA.

Kurgan's Meatgrinder (JA Server: 72.5.248.212:29070)

Player tested, Valtiel approved.

Valtiel approved downloads for Meatgrinder: http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml
Lathain Valtiel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2006, 07:12 PM   #55
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I'm not sure why the simple saber challenge isn't sificent enough for this purpose. You're going to have to explain that.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #56
Vruki Salet

You deathmatchers should lay off the insults for people who want to play the game differently than you. If you like UT style deathmatches with JKA then fine. You bought the game, etc. But the same goes for those of us who like to play the "honorz" or "enthusiast" way. They bought the game too and the internet's big enough to let them play it the way they want to.

As it happens I agree with tarafudge's type of play completely and have fun with it though it's been a long time since. That said I don't think Razor should start working on anti-laming additions to OJP. Two reasons for that are: 1) there are plenty of features in OJP that are short of testing already and 2) i like a more "real life" approach where if you have troublemakers in your "society" (server) you police it as part of the game. Gang up on him or have good players available that can kill him first. Treat it like a RPG experience if that's what you want. Defend your turf. Then if the guys who break your rules get rude or abusive you can kick/ban them and that's that.

Hey not to mention, tarafudge, the OJP sourcecode is available. Make a mod from it yourself. Try your hand at inventing a new way to control the lamers and it might be better than what came before. If you don't know how to program you can find someone to help or you can do like me and learn as you go.

PS - the insulting was referring to has dried up on this second page of comments thank God. But can we not bring it up again.
Vruki Salet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #57
Lathain Valtiel
Ex-Angel

LFN Staff Member 
*Snickers* If I were bored enough to invade an RPG server that tried to gang up on me I'd honestly love to try that and see how many I could destroy before they could kill me.

Kurgan's Meatgrinder (JA Server: 72.5.248.212:29070)

Player tested, Valtiel approved.

Valtiel approved downloads for Meatgrinder: http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml
Lathain Valtiel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2006, 02:52 AM   #58
Vruki Salet

Well there you go again. That was unecessary.
Vruki Salet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #59
Jahandar
Rookie

My clan's server currently runs an FFA JA+ server with rules against laming. You don't have to like that, but we do and so do the many people who play on our server. I'm interested in OJP but my clanmates have grown accustomed to the admin features, so it is unlikely.

I understand Razor's position, and that is why I suggested the gametypes. He prefers to avoid having the activity take place in the first place, rather then punishing afterward. I think the hybrid gametype would suit that purpose because the dueler or "enthusiast" player would not have to worry about being attacked outside of duels so long as he is on the "dueling" team. Meanwhile FFA players are free to have their all-out FFA with other players on that team. Both the the Enthusiast's "FFA" and real FFA gameplay can then take place on the same server at the same time, with no punishments by admins needed.
Jahandar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Hosted Forums > Open Jedi Project (OJP) > Administrative Capabilties