lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-26-2008, 05:12 AM   #921
darth_traya
Rookie

Let me set out my ideas better. We know Bioware is working on a Lucasarts project, it was confirmed in a press statement. Now Bioware have comfirmed several times that the Lucasarts project and the MMO are separated projects. What are the chances of Bioware working on a Lucasarts game other than Kotor? I know it is possible but relatively unlikely.

I also know that Chris Priestly has said that Bioware is not working on Kotor 3 in their forums, but if they were working on Kotor3 they wouldn't say so would they? Not until they have made an official announcement.

I would also like to make a final point, Bioware's moderators have been known to lie in their forums, or mislead the users. This is in no way an insult and I thank them for doing this, as they are in fact my favourite developers and have a great relationship with their community.
***********************************MASS EFFECT SPOILER****************************************
For example when the emergency transmission videos were shown, it shows Sovereign. Bioware flat out denied that Sovereign was a (you'd know if you'd finished yet). Now I'm glad they did this, but it shows that they are only willing to let the public know certain things.
************************************************** ******************************************

There must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn.
Perhaps you were expecting some surprise, for me to reveal a secret that had eluded you, something that would change your perspective of events, shatter you to your core. There is no great revelation, no great secret. There is only you.
If you were to battle an old Sith Lord in a lightsaber duel, you would find that we're only children playing with toys.

Last edited by darth_traya; 05-26-2008 at 05:35 AM.
darth_traya is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 05:39 AM   #922
RyuuKage

indeed. in order to maintain non-disclosure agreements, they sometimes have little choice but to lie outright. I recall Bungie studios mentioning that they weren't working on Halo 3 for at least a year after Halo 2 came out. Sometimes to keep the fans in line a few untruths must be told.
RyuuKage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #923
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_traya View Post
Let me set out my ideas better. We know Bioware is working on a Lucasarts project, it was confirmed in a press statement. Now Bioware have comfirmed several times that the Lucasarts project and the MMO are separated projects. What are the chances of Bioware working on a Lucasarts game other than Kotor? I know it is possible but relatively unlikely.

I also know that Chris Priestly has said that Bioware is not working on Kotor 3 in their forums, but if they were working on Kotor3 they wouldn't say so would they? Not until they have made an official announcement.

I would also like to make a final point, Bioware's moderators have been known to lie in their forums, or mislead the users.
Meh. I don't think Mr. Priestly is lying about BioWare not making KotOR 3. I still believe the LucasArts/BioWare project will turn out to be based on the Star Wars IP. But unless it's a KotOR MMORPG then right now the project doesn't seem to be related to KotOR. Time will tell I guess.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #924
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
But still...she has a point...

You don't give a sequel to Podracer to Bioware, nor a sportsgame. It must be something in the RPG area. Or at least something 'large' and 'hours of play.'

Even if you look at the Bioware sonic, it looks like a Bioware product and not like the race/hyperactive hedgehog actionplatformer it was.

Only time can tell, but there is at least a possibility that it's an RPG, since that's what Bioware is good at.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #925
RyuuKage

the sonic thing is actually an RPG...not sure how well that'll sit with the rest of the series, but it could be interesting...

and yeah, it's BioWare...anything that isn't an RPG is almost foreign territory for them nowadays...and i can't imagine Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Indy, or other LA IP being used for an RPG...
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 PM   #926
JCarter426

Doesn't mean it's KotOR related, though. But hey, even if it isn't, does anyone object to another Star Wars RPG made by BioWare? Hmm?

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #927
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
Doesn't mean it's KotOR related, though. But hey, even if it isn't, does anyone object to another Star Wars RPG made by BioWare? Hmm?
If it's an RPG, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's Star Wars. LucasArts has tried some new things over the last few years (albeit maybe not that successful). I agree that it must be in the RPG area, however. That's BioWare's area of expertise.
Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #928
RyuuKage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
nope, lol; plenty of others would be sweet, like a Clone Wars RPG, or one set during the period between eps 3 and 4, or the Legacy era...or heck, the time of Darth Bane or even back before KotOR with Naga Sadow...
Old 05-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #929
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Force Unleashed is before 3 and 4, but I wouldn't mind seeing someting in the legacy era because there's a vast amount of space to tell a new story.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #930
Lord Foley

Post LotF and before the Legacy comics would be awesome.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."
―Vergere to Jacen Solo
Lord Foley is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #931
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
There is already fan speculation for this, Lord Foley

I read the 'Millennium Falcon' book preview, and it's last lines are:
Quote:
By all indications, their quest should be safe, innocent: something to keep them interested and busy. But as they piece together the clues of the past, hints of a more profound mystery begin to reveal themselves, and a faceless threat lies in wait—one that has already launched a tentative assault not only on the Jedi Order, but on the Force itself.
Well...do you know any faceless (or masked) persons who target specific Jedi or the Force (hunger)? Also, in the Legacy comics there is understanding between the Vong and humans. Somekind of conflict could have brought them together.

Huge fanboy speculation/guess: could be the True Sith

Of course, chances are small. Although I would be amazed with a 'new Uberalien race that conquers all' trick over again. Even a race that has been out there waiting for thousands of years but at least excists in the SW canon. Also, it would give way for a Revan and Exile cameo (flashback).

Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #932
RyuuKage

What about the Empire at War: Forces of Corruption ending? With all the carbon-frozen Sith Troopers and unknown Sith Lord? I wonder if that means something...
Old 05-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #933
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Another excellent example, Ryuu.

Now with the Vector comics, it seems every Sith Lord can be brought to any era. So why not a massively frozen army? Seems rather cool...and it wouldn't be as cheesy as a 'Vong move' where an entire Uber-race is created just for the sake of it.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #934
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Now with the Vector comics, it seems every Sith Lord can be brought to any era. So why not a massively frozen army? Seems rather cool...
I don't know. In my opinion, it's best to leave the whole "time-travel" to a minimum. Let's hope it won't become a trend to have ancient Sith Lords unfreeze in the modern Star Wars Eras.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #935
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Yeah, but what's the other alternative?

I posted that preview line deliberately. Because there are two options:
A) A NEW enemy ( a lá Vong) is created who will (again) conquer all...
B) Something we know. Although cheesy perhaps, carbon frozen Sith Lords have at least some ty-in with the SW universe (Empire at war). And so have the True Sith (kotor 2).

So it basically comes down to this:
For a new game or novel, would you want an already excisting enemy who is somehow tied in, or a new Über enemy who sweeps down like Vong.
This goes for a possible Kotor 3 and the new books.

I'd prefer some consistency. No matter what. We got a reborn Emperor. Can it get more cheesy with a frozen army or an unfrozen Sith Lord?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #936
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Let's not use the Reborn Emperor as a standard, or as the absolute limit of cheesiness. The Vong didn't work, that much is certain, but that doesn't mean who should throw away the whole concept. But, the SW Galaxy still resolves mostly around the Jedi and Sith, so that's what has the best chance at success. But I think concepts like those introduced in Vector shouldn't be used that much. It may be cool if that happens once, but do it again, and people will be less enthusiastic. And Kotor2 showed, IMO, that the SW Universe can still tell immersive tales that aren't your normal SW stories.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #937
Sharen Thrawn
Rookie

Quote:
So it basically comes down to this:
For a new game or novel, would you want an already excisting enemy who is somehow tied in, or a new Über enemy who sweeps down like Vong.
This goes for a possible Kotor 3 and the new books.
How about a new enemy who is, as well as his goal, actually original and/or unique? Kreia's character proves that it's possible even in such a same-archetypes-over-and-over-again kind of the universe as Star Wars.

Quote:
I'd prefer some consistency. No matter what. We got a reborn Emperor. Can it get more cheesy with a frozen army or an unfrozen Sith Lord?
Intentionally downgrading the storyline to the level of cheesy/bad ideas from the past books/comics/games for the sake of consistency? Sorry but no.

My 'KotOR II: TSL' mods: | Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox | WIP: | M4-78 Enhancement Project | :: visit our official website ::

- Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today! -
Sharen Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #938
RyuuKage

Time travel would turn Star Wars into Star Trek W/ Jedi...the only time travel i've seen so far is Jacen Solo's flow-walking or whatever and it actually makes some level of sense...what did Vector do exactly?

The reborn Emperor actually makes sense within Star Wars. We have clones. We have Force ghosts. Why not Force ghosts inhabiting their own clone? It also fits with the Sith tendency to live as long as possible through whatever means. The Sith have always had an infatuation with the concept of immortality.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #939
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuuKage View Post
...what did Vector do exactly?
Nada. Everything Vector has done has been done before.

Last edited by JCarter426; 06-01-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:49 AM   #940
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Vector hasn't "done" anything yet, it's only 5 issues in to a 12 issue arc.

BTW: Neither flow walking or cryo/sith alchemy stasis is really time travel in the trek or H. G Wells sense is it?

Last edited by adamqd; 05-30-2008 at 05:32 AM.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #941
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Vector hasn't 'done' anything?

I think letting a Sith Lord survive for 4000 years to stalk Darth Vader and Luke around is something. And something about a Sith talisman that has an evil Sith spirit inside it is something new as well....

Old 05-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #942
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

I'm a big big fan of vector Ztalker, I'm just pointing out that it ain't even half way through yet and people are already saying "been there done that" I'm just saying theres a lot of story to go yet, not that nothing has happened, it was a reply to Jcarter (BTW celeste isnt a sith )

Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #943
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
touché....

But still..you have to say...a Jedi, turned 'evil' by the Sith Artifact (which houses an evil Sith spirit) she wears around her neck is something...

D'oh...while typing, one thing just entered my mind: The One Ring...
From that point of view...it's not 'zomg never seen that' either. It's just the combination of things that trigger my enthousiasm then.

------------
Aaaanyways...I think it's time for me to get back at topic.

A little thing I noticed:
I'm a Power Unlimited member (an Dutch gaming magazine). They recently visited EA for some previews, (Red Alert 3, iirc) and the journalist said he saw another 'secret' game behind closed doors. He also mentioned it would probably cost him a frontpage- and main review of 20 pages to see it, but he did nevertheless (after much nagging and puppy eyes, as he says so himself).
Furthermore, he also mentions he had some nice interviews with Bioware personel, establishing they were there as well.

It's small, very small....but if you combine the two things...him saying he can't say anything about it looks like a non-disclosure contract. And (having the old EA chart in mind) there are only a few possibilities for which title this could be ...or it's a new IP.

Small, but nevertheless Interesting...I'll keep you guys updated if he mentions anything more on his weblog.
(Just a little note; this is a reknown magazine, known for it's quality. They were present at the MGS:4 bootcamp, for example, where supposedly only the elite of the industry got to play the game)

Old 05-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #944
JCarter426

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
...even half way through yet and people are already saying "been there done that" I'm just saying theres a lot of story to go yet, not that nothing has happened, it was a reply to Jcarter (BTW celeste isnt a sith )
Didn't mean it to sound like that; I'm just saying they haven't done anything crazy that hasn't been done before.

Quote:
I think letting a Sith Lord survive for 4000 years to stalk Darth Vader and Luke around is something.
As stated before, Celeste isn't a Sith Lord. Also, the artifact didn't turn her evil. And ever heard of Arden Lyn?

Quote:
And something about a Sith talisman that has an evil Sith spirit inside it is something new as well....
Nope, I can name a half dozen instances of this, most of which are from the Tales of the Jedi comics.

But back to K3...

Quote:
And (having the old EA chart in mind) there are only a few possibilities for which title this could be ...or it's a new IP.
That old EA chart doesn't mean anything. They've already said it referenced past games. Unless they're flat-out lying, it doesn't mean anything.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:45 AM   #945
RyuuKage

Quote:
BTW: Neither flow walking or cryo/sith alchemy stasis is really time travel in the trek or H. G Wells sense is it?
thankfully, no, which is why they fit. XD Part of what keeps up the Star Wars mystique is the fact that they don't go all technical with the quantum mechanics and such, lol.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #946
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

^^
Agreed, I personally don't think there that bad, I actually like the way that Jacen got to see the pre-Empire Jedi, he needed to see why his grandfather fell, to justify his own path. there not stylistically quite Star Wars, but people haven't got a problem with super advanced technology that looks ancient... in the past, or the Force or plasma swords, but "time travel" (In its loosest term) is strictly no go! lol

Old 05-31-2008, 08:49 PM   #947
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
^^
Agreed, I personally don't think there that bad, I actually like the way that Jacen got to see the pre-Empire Jedi, he needed to see why his grandfather fell, to justify his own path. there not stylistically quite Star Wars, but people haven't got a problem with super advanced technology that looks ancient... in the past, or the Force or plasma swords, but "time travel" (In its loosest term) is strictly no go! lol
I didn't really like Jacen's flow-walking, but I didn't hate it. As long as that's the limit and no real time travel, I'm happy.

@RyuuKage: I completely agree with that (and that's why I never bother trying to get into Star Trek, well aside from the talking turds and the space-hippies... weird!).
Old 05-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #948
RyuuKage

yeah I thought the flow-walking was a little weird, but so far as i know it seems bound strictly in the sense that historical events (and future ones) can be experienced, and can be "changed" (like how Jacen keeps taking Tahiri back so she can meet with Anakin) without actually changing the real events (a sort of Force illusion, if you will).
Old 06-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #949
2Corin517
Lurker

Possible Ideas

If its not KotOR, (Which I would love I assure you.) I hope its something about Tulak Hord, that would be awesome.
2Corin517 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #950
kotorfan_za
Lurker

Exclamation KOTOR III super small glimer of hope

Sheez,i lurked these forums since kotor II never bothered to post anything,just wanted to know if there was any news on kotor III...When I saw this i shed a tear, i really did lol anyway, don't know why no one else posted this already : http://kotaku.com/5013769/rumor-luca...ightsaber-game

read the article..its a glimer of hope. I won't spoil it for anyone, read it everyone
kotorfan_za is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #951
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

A glimmer of hope, given by a freshly-sacked employee of LucasArts, who's still in that stage where he curses everything that is LA, like how he completely thrashes Fracture. An official statement by either LA or BioWare is the only valid source for me.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #952
JCarter426

Sounds fake to me. The Wii game has already been announced, as have two Indy games. Looks to me like they took some already confirmed info, tacked K3 on, and called it a story.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #953
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Similar news from here...

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...mpaign=TheFeed

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #954
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I will cherish the day when these third-pλrty gaming sites will no longer recycle the same old rumors over and over again.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #955
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Arrow

I am going to place something on the table, which hopefully clears some stuff up about BioWare's upcoming MMORPG.

#1 - If you look at BioWare's original announcement for the MMORPG, you will see something very, very, very important. Since some people do not see it, I will spell it out for you.

Quote:
http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/..._03_15_Austin/

BioWare Corp. Announces New "BioWare Austin" Studio
New Studio Recruiting for Massively Multiplayer Online RPG Project
EDMONTON, Alberta, Canada, March 13, 2006

Canadian videogame developer BioWare Corp. has announced the opening of a new studio, BioWare Austin, based in Austin, Texas. It is the second of BioWare's studios and the first to be located outside of Canada.

BioWare Austin has already begun work on a Massively Multiplayer Online roleplaying game (MMORPG) title; the new game will mark BioWare's debut in the Massively Multiplayer Online space. BioWare has recruited some of the top talent in MMO and RPG development, both to manage the development efforts at BioWare Austin and to collaborate with the experienced team at BioWare Edmonton, to develop a game that combines the best of BioWare's great past games with a compelling persistent online experience. Joining the Austin team as lead designer is James Ohlen, BioWare's Creative Director, whose previous credits include lead or co-lead design roles on Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic™, Neverwinter Nights™, Baldur's Gate™ and Baldur's Gate II™. Also leading the BWA team are MMO veterans Richard Vogel and Gordon Walton. Richard Vogel brings 15 years of experience to BioWare Austin, previously serving as VP of Product Development for Sony Online Entertainment's Austin studio, as well as launching Ultima Online™ as a senior producer at Origin. Gordon Walton recently served as VP, studio manager and executive producer at Sony Online Entertainment as well as VP and Executive Producer at Electronic Arts....
#2 - If you look at BioWare's announcement for working with Lucas Arts, you will see another interesting problem in people's thinking.

Quote:
http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

SAN FRANCISCO, CA and EDMONTON, CANADA — October 30, 2007 — LucasArts and BioWare today announced that they have entered into an agreement to create an interactive entertainment product. The product, details of which will be unveiled at a later date, will be developed and published by BioWare and LucasArts, and will push the boundaries of the gaming market by utilizing the strengths of both companies to deliver an innovative, high-quality experience.

“LucasArts has a deep commitment to developing compelling stories and characters for the unique medium of interactive entertainment, and we have been searching for a developer that shares this value. We found this in BioWare,” said Jim Ward, president of LucasArts. “Through our previous collaborations, we know that BioWare has an impressive ability to blend gripping stories with technological advancements, and we believe that our upcoming product will deliver an experience that will span the traditional boundaries of video game entertainment.”
How can BioWare's upcoming MMORPG be a "KotOR" sequel? It cannot be. If I had to make a guess, the upcoming "KotOR III" will be similar in style to the first two. Look at the dates posted on both announcements. LucasArts entered into an agreement with BioWare a whole year after BioWare made the MMORPG announcement. Unless BioWare can forsee into the future, it would be theoretically impossible for the upcoming MMORPG to be "KotOR III".

I do have to trackdown another press release, which states that Lucas Arts wants a reboot of the Star Wars Gallaxies franchise. However, we haven't heard anything solid about the reboot.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 AM   #956
schirminater
Rookie

Quote:
LucasArts and BioWare today announced
It could be that they just decided to announce it on that day.
schirminater is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #957
Master Zionosis
Relax On Air

Current Game: TR 8: Underworld
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by schirminater View Post
It could be that they just decided to announce it on that day.
That's what I've said before, just because they chose to announce it that day, doesn't mean they hadn't made any agreements months before.

Master Zionosis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #958
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Zionosis View Post
That's what I've said before, just because they chose to announce it that day, doesn't mean they hadn't made any agreements months before.
Lol... When I was looking at the press releases over at BioWare, they were listed as two different games in production. I would think that BioWare would have linked the two together, but they could have reasons not to do so. I guess we will have to wait and see.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #959
Mister Chief
Rookie

I dunno what to say about Kotaku, they are normally pretty spot on, but this week they failed at both a Blu-Ray Xbox rumor and the Lucas Arts halting all internal development rumor. Be it that they did say that the xbox rumor was just that, while the other stuff was supposedly leaked. Honestly, Kotaku has more integrity than many of the larger sites.
Mister Chief is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #960
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

More Hear say and Rumors...
http://www.destructoid.com/knights-o...e--91216.phtml

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)