lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #241
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consular Luja
Well, they wouldn't not make the game. It would be too profitable.
There have been lots of profitable games that haven't had a sequel...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #242
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
Sadly, the only way I see them commiting to KotOR 3 is if somehow, someway, the other L.A. games now being developed and distributed are a huge bust.

Which isn't the case.

All of the current games on their table are all making a beaucoup of money.

Maybe next year, but I doubt it. The larger the span of time between sequels, the lesser the chance becomes that it will be made.

I'm trying hard not to be pessimistic, but the reality of this is kicking us all in the keister.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #243
Hann_Starr
Rookie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus Q'ol
Sadly, the only way I see them commiting to KotOR 3 is if somehow, someway, the other L.A. games now being developed and distributed are a huge bust.

Which isn't the case.

Maybe next year, but I doubt it. The larger the span of time between sequels, the lesser the chance becomes that it will be made.

I'm trying hard not to be pessimistic, but the reality of this is kicking us all in the keister.

Quoted for emphasis!

First there was darkness...then came the strangers
Hann_Starr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2006, 12:37 PM   #244
Henz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus Q'ol

Which isn't the case.

Yup. Just wish they'd say no. I hate limbo.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2006, 03:00 PM   #245
aerowars617
Rookie

And now we play the waiting game.

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
aerowars617 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #246
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Patience padawan. You can't let all hope be lost. There is always the slightest chance that It will be made

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 AM   #247
tbl1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowars617
And now we play the waiting game.
The waiting game's boring... let's play hungry hungry hippos
tbl1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #248
Darth Manus
Rookie

Well, LucasArts certainly has to redeem itself in the gaming community's eyes. The way KOTOR II was rushed was simply inexcusable. What would they rather have? An unfinished project for a quick profit, or a properly done masterpiece? Honestly... what were they thinking?

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Darth Manus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #249
jacob0883
Lurker

If they don't make a new game fine. I would be just as happy if they wrote a book to close out all the characters they created in this series. I think that the lack of ending in the second game should be reason enough to at least give fans some close. It WON'T be the reason they do it if they do it.
jacob0883 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #250
Henz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Manus
Well, LucasArts certainly has to redeem itself in the gaming community's eyes. The way KOTOR II was rushed was simply inexcusable. What would they rather have? An unfinished project for a quick profit, or a properly done masterpiece? Honestly... what were they thinking?
I wish they would fix that. A deluxe version (on x box 360 maybe?) would be a good way to guage potential profit in a new game, and I'd (grudgingly) pay for the game that should have been.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #251
raven10
Rookie

Is it possible any more, NO there are no more possibilities for KOTOR3 any mor...in ten or twenty years, maybe, just maybe......
raven10 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #252
aerowars617
Rookie

outch

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 AM   #253
TheOneMan
Rookie

This isn't news but just speculation. You know, they might be waiting till '07 to say or even release Knights III. Why? '07 marks the Thirtith Aniversary of the Star Wars Genre. What better way of celebrating it?

Knights of the Old Republic III and even better Video Games. Battlefront III, perhaps?

Don't forget the Star Wars 30-minute Cartoon is coming out along with the T.V Show :S

The Chronicals of the Dark Lord

My Live Journal, for those who don't know...
TheOneMan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 05:26 AM   #254
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
I agree with Cygnus, although i'm a little les pessimistic.

The last Jedi Knight game dated from (i believe) 2004, and the last Rogue Squadron from 2002! Unless my brain is mistaking me, it seems like they are 'killing' these games. And if Kotor is being added to this list, Lucasarts will have 3 profitable licenses that simply aren't used anymore by them.

Knowing Lucasarts, and the dollarsigns in their eyes, this will not be the case. There has been a rogue squadron on the N46, Gamecube, so i expect there will be one on the Wii too.
And the Jedi Knight story isn't complete yet. They stil need to introduce Mara Jade, the Solo twins, etc etc. Maybe they are waiting for Next-Gen consoles?
I can imagine they'd want to port Jedi Academy 2/Jedi Knight 4 to every console possible, to keeop the money roling.
And Kotor? It's their chicken with the golden eggs. They simply CAN'T drop it. And in matters of story, there is still much to be told regarding the old republic. And i think Uncle Bill expects them to make another, or the X-Box won't have that 'Uber Rpg' that the other 2 consoles do have. (Zelda, Final Fantasy etc) If they don't make it out of free will, i expect Bill to throw some money on the table.

Although i agree the facts don't lie, and Kotor isn't being made, i think it's just a matter of time before they continue one of the above series, and Kotor.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 AM   #255
Renegade Puma

Current Game: Star Trek Online
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
^^^^^
Dude the 360 has an UBER rpg already. It is called Oblivion.

Some other really awesome Fanfics: Hidden shades of grey By JasraLantill, The Adventures of Jolee Bindo By Jae Onasi[/size]
Renegade Puma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #256
aerowars617
Rookie

Also Mass Effect looks impressive, since its made by non other than the KotOR 1 creators, Shame these wont be ported to PC

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #257
CountVertigo
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Puma
^^^^^
Dude the 360 has an UBER rpg already. It is called Oblivion.
Oblivion is very simplistic compared to KOTOR, the quests are so basic that the game should have been an MMORPG. Also the world it's set in is rather dated and not that gripping... KOTOR is set in frickin' Star Wars. It doesn't come grippier than that. Give KOTOR a modern engine and the next instalment would make everyone forget Oblivion ever existed.

Personally I hope that if LucasArts finally wake up and smell the potential, they combine gameplay from both KOTOR and Jedi Knight. Traditional RPGs are becoming something of a relic of the past, combining the RPG with another genre's gameplay is becoming increasingly popular. KOTOR+Jedi Knight would give BioShock a run for its money.
CountVertigo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #258
Maser Splinter
Rookie

Kotor + Jedi Knight? Hmm...not so sure I like the sound of that. Kotor already has a feel to it, you can't change styles like that for a game of the year sequel.
Maser Splinter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #259
raven10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneMan
This isn't news but just speculation. You know, they might be waiting till '07 to say or even release Knights III. Why? '07 marks the Thirtith Aniversary of the Star Wars Genre. What better way of celebrating it?

Knights of the Old Republic III and even better Video Games. Battlefront III, perhaps?

Don't forget the Star Wars 30-minute Cartoon is coming out along with the T.V Show :S
there is no better game from KOTOR, not from StarWars franchise......

JediKnight+Kotor, I don't think so, but to liberate a KOTOR's fight system to a bit point, yeah go a head.....

Last edited by RedHawke; 05-11-2006 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Combining double post...
Old 05-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #260
OlympusMons
Lurker

Okay, So TSL came out 18 months after K1, its been 15 months now since TSL was released. What we have to remember is that they could be/probably are making a new engine for K3.. this alone could take up to and beyond 18 months... I'm really peeved that nothing was announced at E3 but still, that certainly doesn't mean the game won't be done!
OlympusMons is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #261
Darth Manus
Rookie

It just gets a bit tiresome to hear all the people who seem to want the next KOTOR to have JA's system. Like others have said before, one is a RPG, the other is a FPS. Honestly, do you really think that would work? If you want a first-person RPG, then go play Ultima Underworld.

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #262
aerowars617
Rookie

Deus Ex was FP RPG, and that was an excellent game. Probably one of the best RPG's out there

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #263
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowars617
Deus Ex was FP RPG, and that was an excellent game. Probably one of the best RPG's out there
I disagree, Deus Ex was mediocre at best.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #264
EnigmaCouncil
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
I disagree, Deus Ex was mediocre at best.
you're in a minority on that one.
EnigmaCouncil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #265
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaCouncil
you're in a minority on that one.
I don't think so... Then again, I love some of the wierder games too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Manus
It just gets a bit tiresome to hear all the people who seem to want the next KOTOR to have JA's system. Like others have said before, one is a RPG, the other is a FPS. Honestly, do you really think that would work?
Agreed. Not everyone can stand the pulse-pounding action that a FPS or action game requires of the player. Having different styles of games are a good and noble thing, not every game made needs to play the same, for this would be booring. Button-mashing console kiddies need to realise this.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
Old 05-12-2006, 04:53 AM   #266
Renegade Puma

Current Game: Star Trek Online
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountVertigo
Oblivion is very simplistic compared to KOTOR, the quests are so basic that the game should have been an MMORPG. Also the world it's set in is rather dated and not that gripping... KOTOR is set in frickin' Star Wars. It doesn't come grippier than that. Give KOTOR a modern engine and the next instalment would make everyone forget Oblivion ever existed.

Personally I hope that if LucasArts finally wake up and smell the potential, they combine gameplay from both KOTOR and Jedi Knight. Traditional RPGs are becoming something of a relic of the past, combining the RPG with another genre's gameplay is becoming increasingly popular. KOTOR+Jedi Knight would give BioShock a run for its money.
Dude that is your opinion, and it is not based of of any fact whatsoever.
Have you even seen the reviews that Oblivion got? Plus I have put well over 100 hours into it. Just because you don't like it doesn'y mean it is not an uber RPG. Because it is, just that. A very well done game, that many many people seem to love. I belive you are in the minority with your opinion.

Some other really awesome Fanfics: Hidden shades of grey By JasraLantill, The Adventures of Jolee Bindo By Jae Onasi[/size]
Renegade Puma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2006, 06:22 AM   #267
Darth Manus
Rookie

Well, I wouldn't know about that. The last time someone wanted me to try out a Deus Ex game, it wouldn't even run. And I have nothing against first-person RPGs. I loved both Ultima Underworld games. However, when it comes to KOTOR, third-person just makes more sense. Or does anyone miss swinging a lightsaber on Jedi Knight in first-person?

Old 05-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #268
CountVertigo
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Puma
Dude that is your opinion, and it is not based of of any fact whatsoever.
Have you even seen the reviews that Oblivion got? Plus I have put well over 100 hours into it. Just because you don't like it doesn'y mean it is not an uber RPG. Because it is, just that. A very well done game, that many many people seem to love. I belive you are in the minority with your opinion.
It's not like I'm just trolling out a viewpoint on a game I haven't played, I've played it a lot. For a game claiming itself to have the most freedom of any game in existence, it's actually pretty constrictive. You only have two ways you can interact with people, kill them or do their quests. The quest writing is deeply uninspired and only ever has one route through them. Oblivion is basically a MMORPG without online features.
Still, it's a huge world, and Oblivion is a triumph of development, if not writing. It's definitely a very worthy RPG, but it does have major flaws. I'm not the only one to have noticed this, though yes, for the moment I'm in a minority.

Manus, in case you haven't noticed, the Jedi Knights of the most recent generation (which are in many ways very different from the 90s ones) had lightsabering as a strictly third-person pursuit. All I'm suggesting is that the player control the way the lightsaber is swung instead of pressing an attack button. It's working pretty damn well for Oblivion....
Old 05-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #269
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountVertigo
All I'm suggesting is that the player control the way the lightsaber is swung instead of pressing an attack button. It's working pretty damn well for Oblivion....
I prefer the attack button... much more relaxing, no muss, no fuss, and most importantly no twitch game related stress!

Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 AM   #270
aerowars617
Rookie

Plus it wont end up like Counterstrike where people franticly press buttons to survive.

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #271
Wildcat'
Rookie

I like the way the game takes on a more cinematic type of combat unlike most games.

Wildcat' is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #272
raven10
Rookie

hehe, you can tell KOTOR3 is not possible any more.......
Old 05-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #273
TheOneMan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven10
Provide me hard proof its not a possibility? Argh. Be quiet if you don't think Knights III is going to happen.

*sighs*

Give them time. Time is what they need. Do you want a rushed Knights III? Everyone keeps coming here saying "Gives us Knights, Give us Knights!" Well if I was LucasArts, all I'd give you is the finger and then make you wait ten years for the game.

Lucas' Company as a whole has so much coming out right now. The two (or was it three?) Star Wars games coming out; they have the T.V show that is do out next year and the 30 minute Cartoon that's also due out next year. Come on people! Of course Knights III won't come out this year. You'd be lucky if you even get it before 2010!

Sorry for getting so pissy and bitchy, but I'm sick of people saying "Give me Knights III NOW!" Its bloody ***** annoying.

The Chronicals of the Dark Lord

My Live Journal, for those who don't know...
TheOneMan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #274
90SK
Universal Figment

Current Game: Tetris
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven10
harhar LOL!

KotOR III is more than possible. The fact that it hasn't been announced yet is no reason to think that it'll never happen. Just look at the series of Indiana Jones games.

Last edited by 90SK; 05-13-2006 at 12:41 AM.
90SK is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2006, 03:28 PM   #275
Sanctuary
Rookie

I don't recall where I read it, but Bio is doing an MMO, and Obs. is doing a game that "is not a sequel."
If it's not either of them (making the game), then who would it be?
Sanctuary is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #276
90SK
Universal Figment

Obsidian is the one ready to do K3. But it's not like they aren't going to work on other games while they're waiting for the OK from Lucasarts.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #277
raven10
Rookie

Cool Guy

Quote:
Provide me hard proof its not a possibility? Argh. Be quiet if you don't think Knights III is going to happen.

*sighs*

Give them time. Time is what they need. Do you want a rushed Knights III? Everyone keeps coming here saying "Gives us Knights, Give us Knights!" Well if I was LucasArts, all I'd give you is the finger and then make you wait ten years for the game.

Lucas' Company as a whole has so much coming out right now. The two (or was it three?) Star Wars games coming out; they have the T.V show that is do out next year and the 30 minute Cartoon that's also due out next year. Come on people! Of course Knights III won't come out this year. You'd be lucky if you even get it before 2010!

Sorry for getting so pissy and bitchy, but I'm sick of people saying "Give me Knights III NOW!" Its bloody ***** annoying.
Dude...... I was joking.....

About K3, more time it takes more I get less interested....but that's just me....

have fun waiting....
Old 05-12-2006, 04:04 PM   #278
90SK
Universal Figment

What's the alternative? Not waiting?

Old 05-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #279
raven10
Rookie

Alternative? SImply try to leave KOTOR thing off, forget about it....play something else, you said earlier about LA being busy with other big games, there you go....

Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #280
CountVertigo
Lurker

Quote:
That shouldn't have anything to do with KOTOR 3- a) because LucasArts is a seperate entity which has little to do with LucasFilm other than licensing, endorsement and the same overall boss, and b) because LucasArts are mostly just publishers, I can't remember the last game they released that didn't utilise an outsourced development house. For comparison, EA are also mainly publishers, and they have more games going on at once than Satan has beard hairs (and they would know).
Personally I believe the only reason they're not continuing the series is because they don't think it's profitable - they probably expected a whole lot more income from KOTOR 2 despite only giving it around a year's development time and the same game engine. It's the only reason I can think of right now.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > More KOTOR III Possibilty News! (KOTOR MMO Confirmed?)