lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Beta test (no pay subscription required)
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #81
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I got it downloaded...100th post....yeah!

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 05:22 PM   #82
T10
Rookie

Quote:
You acknowledge you are eighteen (18) years of age or older...
....whoops.....

INSERT_USELESS_INFORMATION_HERE>
T10 is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #83
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Excellent i can't wait to play this

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #84
Blackrider27
Rookie

did it thanks guys i presonally LOVE IT ITS AUSOME and i know for a fact that the animation will be better so dont worry
Blackrider27 is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #85
master_skywalke

Quote:
Originally Posted by italegion
if you have gamespy account use that to access the download - then for key code use the link above linked by zerted.

anyway i finished to test this beta right now. what i can say.. this game is outdated, it should have been released in 1999: i dont see any improvements since BF1. The space map is ridicolous.
But let the screenshots say it:

i am very angry that our money earned with SWBF1 were spent (0,05% of them now i suppose) for such game that will be killed by reviewers and gamers too.
This game released in 1999? They couldn't even make a circle in 3d back then, so they really couldn't make a game with this graphics. (But I agree with you that the graphics in SWBFII are very bad compared to other games)

master_skywalke is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #86
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Couldn't make a circle in 3-D? I thought that was the whole point of "curved surfaces" in Quake3. Or do you mean "full screen anti-aliasing"? Because even then that was in early stages.

Anyway, my download has started (2 1/2 hours to finish it looks like).

Remember to start cheating and exloiting online!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 06:22 PM   #87
italegion
Rookie

that's not a sphere - just a paint with a surface moving over.
anyway now i turned off the sample aliasing (i tought it was anti aliasing), reduced brightness and contrast (by default it was 60) and the graphic now is much better, at least as swbf1.

[size=1]Apology accepted, Captain Needa...
www.italegion.altervista.org

Last edited by italegion; 10-02-2005 at 01:19 PM.
italegion is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 06:25 PM   #88
italegion
Rookie

edit.

[size=1]Apology accepted, Captain Needa...
www.italegion.altervista.org

Last edited by italegion; 10-02-2005 at 01:19 PM.
italegion is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 07:00 PM   #89
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Rookie

Download available!
Download available in 62 minutes.
in 51 minutes.
in 48 minutes.
in 49 minutes.

Go to http://freewebs.com/sbfdude/
"If it doesn't work BLOW IT UP" shock1
SBF_Dann_Boeing is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #90
zerted
Click Center of Circle: O

There are three problems with the EULA as I see it:
1) You must be 18 or older.
2) You can never have worked on making a game (oops broke one...).
3) They collect "Personally Identifiable Information" about you and your computer.

One good think about spending 15,000 (US$) to go to college: fast internet connection. Took me about 20min to download it.

(I may not agree with thoughts posted under this name)
Looking for a mature clan? Checkout www.rdhclan.net
email/PM me for more info
zerted is offline   you may:
Old 10-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #91
Blackrider27
Rookie

zerted your icon always cracks me up lol its so random
Blackrider27 is offline   you may:
Old 10-02-2005, 01:42 AM   #92
zerted

My icon is one from the forum. You can have it too. Someone else is using the same sig format as me too (thought its so simple the person probability didn't notice and I'm not complaining about it).

Old 10-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #93
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Wonderful. After five hours of waiting i finally click on Play Star Wars Battlefront II beta, and nothing happens.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 10-02-2005, 08:24 AM   #94
Rebel_Trooper
Rookie

Well, I've DLed and played the beta. This is what I think (remember, I hate SWBF1) :

PERFROMANCE AND FRAME RATES:

Considering my PC specs are quite far under the min. specs I've been told, it runs pretty good. Very good, considering I'm on a 1.4GHz machine with 256ram and a GeForce 2. I have all the details to low, but draw distance maxed out.

I never owned the PC version of SWBF1, so I don't know about the lag in that, but it's quite laggy here, not very, it's playable, but it's nowhere near like playing a botmatch game on SWBF1.

THE LEVELS:

Space Battles are boring! (yes, yes, I know, I'm crying and complaining again...) I just think the level seems so empty, transports are rare, and what combat there is bores me quickly.

Utapau is nice. Nothing amazing, but I think it's quite nice anyway. It's my favourite level in the beta, mainly because it has some substance (not a big black space or white halls everywhere!).

Tantive IV is ok. It's fun in the Clone Wars as a MagnaGuard, becuase of his fast firing spam rockets (which really says something about the game) and it's chaotic. Fun, but it's really just a group of white corridors and a few grey rooms.

THE CLASSES:

The engineer for the CIS is a Droid Commander, which explains all the pics of droid with yellow markings. The Imperials get an Imperial Gunner. The Rebels a new guy, looks like a Rebel Soldier in a way. The Clones get a Technician (V-Wing pilot).

The bonus classes are odd.

The Rebels Bothan gets a weird gun, called the Incinerator. I'm not sure why it's called that, as it's just like a chaingun really (could someone else explain this to me?) and the steath I'm not sure about. He seems to turn invisible, but you can still seem him a quite a bit! Can anyone confirm he really does turn invisible?

The MagnaGuard has a rocket launcher that fires fast, and a radiation launcher. What is the point of him? I'd rather have a normal grenade throwing battle droid in many ways!

The Imperial officer is royally messed up. He is what seems to be a camoflauged AT-ST driver. This dissapoints me most in the beta. Why make him this? They did have a normal officer! Why change him to something that doesn't make sense? It seems they are actaully TRYING to get further away from SW basic rules!

I didn't get time as the Clone Commander.

GAMEPLAY:

The guns are still really accurate, and the sprint, I'm sorry, seems out of place and useless. Maybe it's just me, but they don't run that much faster at all! Space comabt is boring, and the classes are odd.

However, it's not all bad. The game is overall more fun, as certain features, tweaks and addition come in to save the day. The engineer classes shotgun is of particular fun to use, as it's relatively fast rate of fire is good.

OVERALL:

It's better than SWBF1 by quite a bit! (but how hard is it to beat SWBF1?) But certain things do need to be adjusted to make it a REALLY good game. Accuracy to the films is still out of whack, and the accuracy is still far too good.

It's really fun being Leia (her blaster pistol is like a sniper rifle!) and Yoda is cool, but Han Solo sucks! Sorry people, he gets a pistol and detpacks, plus this rally thing.

Also, the game is still quite far off the excellence of the Battlefield series. I'm pretty sure it's the engine, as it's now obvious to me that all the additions in the world will not make SWBF better than BF. It's still last year's graphics, and the gameplay is now far outdated, but it seems fun at the moment. Just not fun enough.

Questions? I'm pretty sure all of you here have played the beta, but if you haven't and want to know something, PM me. Remember I haven't been the Clone Commander or Jet Trooper. Or any of the darkside heroes.

Battlefront II common classes: Bothan Spy, Imperial Officer, Clone Commander or the Droid Engineer. Without points an Engineer or Vanguard.

Last edited by Rebel_Trooper; 10-02-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Rebel_Trooper is offline   you may:
Old 10-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #95
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Trooper
The Clones get a Technician (V-Wing pilot).
Actually, that guy is one of Commander Faie's troops. They're not seen in RotS, but they're in EU. It makes sense, because Faie commanded engineering divisions.
TK-8252 is offline   you may:
Old 10-02-2005, 03:38 PM   #96
Rebel_Trooper
Rookie

Really? Never knew that, good to know.

Battlefront II common classes: Bothan Spy, Imperial Officer, Clone Commander or the Droid Engineer. Without points an Engineer or Vanguard.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #97
Ch1cago88
Rookie

This game is a nightmare! Everytime I join a game, (empty or full), seconds later the game crashes. My computer is meant for gaming so I know that my specs have nothing to do with it. (I just bought the 7800 graphic card) No one has an answer in the bug boards, help!!

Other poeple haveing my problem or close to it
http://www.forumplanet.com/3dactionp...24&tid=1747480

www.legacyofpain.com clan site

-We've been around for 5 years and counting

-We now play Counter Strike Source, Americas Army, and BattleField Vietnam

-Were Still recruiting so come check us out today! www.legacyofpain.com
Ch1cago88 is offline   you may:
Old 10-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #98
Kurgan
Headhunter

Try joining my server (sorry only 4 slots):

68.53.95.90 (and whatever port SWBF2 beta uses)

Look for "Meatgrinder" that's mine. Not always up, but happens to be up at the moment...

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 10-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #99
zerted

Quote:
...Space Battles are boring! (yes, yes, I know, I'm crying and complaining again...) I just think the level seems so empty, transports are rare, and what combat there is bores me quickly...

...The Rebels Bothan gets a weird gun, called the Incinerator. I'm not sure why it's called that, as it's just like a chaingun really (could someone else explain this to me?) and the steath I'm not sure about. He seems to turn invisible, but you can still seem him a quite a bit! Can anyone confirm he really does turn invisible?...

...The guns are still really accurate, and the sprint, I'm sorry, seems out of place and useless. Maybe it's just me, but they don't run that much faster at all! Space comabt is boring, and the classes are odd...
I found the space battle ok when you get inside the enemy's captial ship. I spend a whole level in there once destroying ship systems and other units. I'm not sure why no one came after me, all the human players seemed to run away ...easy back shot kills.

The Bothan Spy's Incinerator is much different from a chaingun. It is a flame thrower (which seems by the graphics to only shoot really hot air). You have to be close to the enemy to burn him to death, while the chaingun can shoot across the battlefield. The Bothan Spy can turn mostly invisible, but think of how that would be on a map like Endor. Its hard enough to see standard units sometimes, but very few people are going to notice a partly invisible unit running through the forest brush in the heat of battle.

Sprint can be used at the start of the game to get to CPs faster. I like rolling better... Overall its not that useful. I don't have enough fingers to sprint while dualing with a good player, but at least the stamina well keep people from rolling/jumping around all the time. (Like when there is a group of units vs one unit, and the single unit spends the entire time rolling around dodging incomming fire while the CP is slowely being drained)

(note: I used used Endor as an example as a map with a great amount of plants. I don't know if its in SWBF2)

Old 10-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #100
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Location: The three dimensional geometric shaped space station of DOOM!
One major thing I did not like was the new controls for rolling and sprinting, you can't just use the jump-strafe combo to roll anymore you have to use a seperate button.

Not being paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't trying to kill you... or does it?

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 10-02-2005 at 08:56 PM.
ParanoidAndroid is offline   you may:
Old 10-02-2005, 08:28 PM   #101
zerted

I have always hated the double-clicking of a direction button (such as in UT### to dodge), but after a little while I am growing to like the seprate jump/roll buttons. It prevents the accendental jump instead of a roll or roll instead of a jump.

However, I also don't like having to press so many different buttons. It needs a balence...

Old 10-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #102
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Well I guess I can see your point, although I would still prefer the roll to be a move/jump combo instead of a diffrent button, I guess I just find it more convieniant then using a seperate button. Oh well looks like just one more thing i'm going to have to get used to...

Old 10-03-2005, 03:08 AM   #103
HordaK
Rookie

Well the only thing i can say about the Beta.... it Lags like hell...im an European, to be specific im from Germany and i never find any beta Server with a ping under 200 so its nearly impossible for me to test the game cause of the annoying "Connection Interrupted" Symbol and the lag every 5 seconds....dunno if its the beta at all or if its the fact that they dont have any european servers imo, in SWBF1 i have always many servers under 200 but in the beta not even ONE...

Ah and another thing...Yoda is a kinda toooooooooooooo small, he seems to be bigger in the Trailers.....
HordaK is offline   you may:
Old 10-03-2005, 05:52 AM   #104
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Yoda was barely past Luke Skywalkers knee in The Empire Strikes Back.

- Halo_92

Old 10-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #105
Rebel_Trooper
Rookie

Yeah, I dicovered the Incinerator earlier, it's quite good. I'm still not sure about the Bothan though, on the 2 maps you can use him on, he's as visible as just about anyone else, and take into the equation he can't sprint or use weapons while stealth. He's useless, apart from the weapon. The devs really need to upgrade that stealth, he's already still visible, and then he flashes fully every so often. Maybe on Endor or a camo level it'll be good, but that isn't the point. He sucks, full stop.

Although I have heard from others he DOES turn fully invisible, just the flashes give him away. I might test that on a small server.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:14 AM   #106
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

One new item Ive noticed is the scouts auto turret, has anyone found this item useful? I also noticed that the soldiers no longer have concussion grenades, I'm kind of dissapointed by this. Sure they weren't as destructive as thermal detonators but they had there uses, I personally always used them to destroy turrets at close ranges, and at least they gave the soldier some sort of minimal defense against vehicles. With the new vehical weakpoints in SWBF2 concussion grenades could be a bit more useful if they were still in the game.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:10 AM   #107
idle
Rookie

Must say the short half an hour I spent playing just there I was happy with considering it's not the complete version of the game. Might have a few minor gripes but the feel of the game is better than the original BF, me likey.

Star Wars Games of the PSX Generation
Star Wars Games of the PS2 Generation
^^Loads of effort to revive the Classic Gaming Forum in the wee hours of a Sunday morning bearing no fruit. Help me random internetperson, you're my only hope.
idle is offline   you may:
Old 10-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #108
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Yesterday I played Capture the Flag.....the game took quite a while......either we suck or very good.....I talk about half an hour to finish the game, which is much longer than any level in Star Wars Battlefront, which in my opinion is an improvement....after you get the hang of the controls and the game, the game gets a little more exciting/fun. So, from what I saw the game is going to great to play online, splitscreen, and by yourself.

Old 10-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #109
idle
Rookie

Got a shot as Han Solo earlier and had a dual with Boba Fett (who set me on fire), I still beat him. Han's blaster has got to be the greatest in the Galaxy.

Star Wars Games of the PSX Generation
Star Wars Games of the PS2 Generation
^^Loads of effort to revive the Classic Gaming Forum in the wee hours of a Sunday morning bearing no fruit. Help me random internetperson, you're my only hope.
idle is offline   you may:
Old 10-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #110
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by idel
Got a shot as Han Solo earlier and had a dual with Boba Fett (who set me on fire), I still beat him. Han's blaster has got to be the greatest in the Galaxy.
Yeah.....Han Solo's blaster is pretty deadly....like a one-shot kill for units.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #111
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
The beta version is pretty fun to play.....free and graphics are good....but it restarts to much and freezes.

Old 10-03-2005, 03:59 PM   #112
Rebel_Trooper
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
One new item Ive noticed is the scouts auto turret, has anyone found this item useful? I also noticed that the soldiers no longer have concussion grenades, I'm kind of dissapointed by this. Sure they weren't as destructive as thermal detonators but they had there uses, I personally always used them to destroy turrets at close ranges, and at least they gave the soldier some sort of minimal defense against vehicles. With the new vehical weakpoints in SWBF2 concussion grenades could be a bit more useful if they were still in the game.
The Thermal Dets do some pretty good damage to vehicles now, and they stick to them like concussions. 5 or so people with a full load of Thermal Dets can take out the IFT-X! Sounds alot, but in battle, it's nothing considering all the rockets and blasters attacking!

Old 10-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #113
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Ah I see, I'm glad there still in the game in some form.

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 10-04-2005 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #114
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

You don't sound like you hate SWBF1 Rebel_Trooper

- Halo_92

Old 10-04-2005, 06:19 AM   #115
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Another thing I've noticed, it seems the technicians and several of the officers lack the standerd blaster pistol back up weapon, I think this is kind of stupid, why did they fail to give them this standard weapon? And does anyone else really dislike the imperial officer's weapon? That sonic blaster, it just doesn't fit him at all, it seems that there just adding weapons for the sake of being diffrent instead of what makes sense

Old 10-04-2005, 06:45 AM   #116
Redtech
Veteran

Sonic Blaster? Ain't that Geonosian?
Oh well, downloaded it yesterday, lets see if it'll work on my Spyware infected PC!

I am the definition of your defeat.
Redtech is offline   you may:
Old 10-04-2005, 11:57 AM   #117
Rebel_Trooper
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
You don't sound like you hate SWBF1 Rebel_Trooper
Well, it's a fantastic idea on paper, and certain elements of the game do go well, but certain mistakes in the development of the game like cutting the AT-XT and AT-PT, removing the Bothan, CC, CIS 6th and Imperial Officer, changing the gameplay so guns are really accurate (they were inaccurate for most of the game's development!) and inaccuracies to the Star Wars universe have placed the game on the wrong side of fun for me.

However, as I say, it isn't a diabolical game. There are some things I like about it, and I try not to constantly complain.

I will say, however, I have been pleasantly surprised with the SWBFII beta. It has been better executed. There is still far too much inaccuracy to Star Wars (as seen in my below comment) but the gameplay and gamemodes make it a worthwhile game.

Yes Redtech, the Sonic Blaster is a Geonosian weapon. And yes, it is out of place. Out of all the things in the beta, I most dislike what they've done with the Officer. He has no good weapon, his pistol is Geonosian (what the hell!?), his rage thing is almost useless and he doesn't even look like an officer. He needs fixing fast!

Old 10-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #118
zerted

I've only seen 4-7 human players die from that Geonosian Weaon in SWBF2. Can those turrets even shoot to the ground? Seems, I'll just stick to the sniper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTech
...lets see if it'll work on my Spyware infected PC!
According to the EULA you agreed to, SWBF2 Beta can be considered spyware. It sould fit right in with the rest of your programs.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #119
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderobiwan
The beta version is pretty fun to play.....free and graphics are good....but it restarts to much and freezes.
Yeah, it's very crash prone. And despite many remaining weaknesses from SWBF1, the infantry game actually feels more fun this time around (though the vehicles are quite nerfed).

Hopefully they can get some good feedback from us and improve the final game and support it, so that it can reach some of the potential it had but never reached, back when the series was first introduced! If they were to improve, tighten up and tweak the space combat especially, this could be a fun game.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #120
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Yeah, I dicovered the Incinerator earlier, it's quite good. I'm still not sure about the Bothan though, on the 2 maps you can use him on, he's as visible as just about anyone else, and take into the equation he can't sprint or use weapons while stealth. He's useless, apart from the weapon. The devs really need to upgrade that stealth, he's already still visible, and then he flashes fully every so often. Maybe on Endor or a camo level it'll be good, but that isn't the point. He sucks, full stop.

Although I have heard from others he DOES turn fully invisible, just the flashes give him away. I might test that on a small server.
I think what they intended the "stealth" for was mainly to let you sneak over to a control point and start "capturing" it before anybody realized what was going on. After all, if somebody is patrolling an area between control points and doesn't see anybody anywhere near it, no reason to guard it too closely, right? It's obviously not the same as the Cloaking Shield in Jedi Academy Siege, which was to give you added stealth while sniping. This is more a movement tool to prevent you getting killed on your way to your goal I think.

Speaking of guarding, that reminds me, the last time I played Utapau, Clone Wars, I was fighting and fighting and then realized my ENTIRE TEAM was standing around one control point in their little one man walkers! They were facing the wall, ignoring enemies that would run by in full view of them! (These were bots of course, so bad AI, even on elite sometimes). I had to hop into each walker to force the bot out and order him to go attack something. Heh, the life of a Clone Commander...

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront II > General Discussion > Beta test (no pay subscription required)