lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Beta test (no pay subscription required)
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM   #121
Blackrider27
Rookie

yeah i love the game im definatly buying this. I can only enjoy the game for 2 minutes because of my comp keeps shutting down and freezing and this happend with all of my games counter strike and bf 1 luckily im re formating it on thurs
Blackrider27 is offline   you may:
Old 10-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #122
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Location: The three dimensional geometric shaped space station of DOOM!
One thing I really hope they change in SWBF2 is the heavy weapons troopers mines. In the last game they were fun but could be annoying, especially when someone just ran into a room firing rockets and laying mines as he went, that was really lame and annoying. In SWBF2 it seems that they have tried to fix this problem by giving the Heavy weapons trooper less mines, I really don't think thats going to work. If they want to stop lame mine tactics they should give it to a class that doesn't have a rocket launcher, like the technicians. It would make a lot more sense IMO. It wouldn't hurt to make mines take longer to lay as well.

Not being paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't trying to kill you... or does it?
ParanoidAndroid is offline   you may:
Old 10-04-2005, 09:41 PM   #123
zerted
Click Center of Circle: O

Longer time laying mines... Great idea. I think the rocket troopers should have them though. They are supposed to be the ones taking out the vehicles...

(I may not agree with thoughts posted under this name)
Looking for a mature clan? Checkout www.rdhclan.net
email/PM me for more info
zerted is offline   you may:
Old 10-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #124
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Exactly right. They've gone out of their way to make destroying vehicles easier, so nerfing mines more would only serve to defeat that purpose...

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may:
Old 10-05-2005, 12:04 AM   #125
MandaloreBIC
Rookie

i feel all warm and fuzzy inside....
and how tf is zerted's sig so accurate?

"He's no good to me dead"-Boba Fett
"This doesn't concern you, jedi."-Boba Fett
"He doesn't take a hint, this guy."-Jango Fett
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe."-Jango Fett
"We'll just have to finish him."-Jango Fett
MandaloreBIC is offline   you may:
Old 10-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #126
zerted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaloreBIC
i feel all warm and fuzzy inside....
and how tf is zerted's sig so accurate?
I'm just that good at guessing. (Sorry I don't do lottery tickets...)

Old 10-05-2005, 05:55 AM   #127
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Right, mines should be effective against vehicles, but I feel that they should be used as defensive weapons. They should be set like traps around your command post, choke points, or a well traveled road to disrupt infantry and seriously weaken vehicles.

Right now though I think they're too powerful against infantry, especially in the hands of the heavy weapons trooper, who already has a rocket launcher to fight vehicles with.

Now they can just rush tight, indoor maps dropping mines left and right using there rockets to finish of any infantry who tries to stand and fight them. Most of the others roll around to avoid there rockets and end up landing on a mine he just dropped, killing several teamates in the process. Thus racking up more kills for the heavy weapons guy.

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 10-05-2005 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 AM   #128
Redtech
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerted
I've only seen 4-7 human players die from that Geonosian Weaon in SWBF2. Can those turrets even shoot to the ground? Seems, I'll just stick to the sniper.

According to the EULA you agreed to, SWBF2 Beta can be considered spyware. It sould fit right in with the rest of your programs.
Well, it would if it would run! *Wah* I feel robbed. Oh well, better get used to it.

I am the definition of your defeat.
Redtech is offline   you may:
Old 10-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #129
Rebel_Trooper
Rookie

Nope, he doesn't turn fully steath, he still very visible, on both levels he is present (as an Imperial I've seen people use it and think it works). It is just awful! Lol, it can't be a movement tool because you can't sprint if you use it (it just turns off, and you are really visible, so sprinting is your life) and it doesn't allow you to get anywhere because everybody rushes to kill the "invisible" (haha) guy. He's so lame! Please devs, please make him better.

Other than that (and the Imperial Officer) I'm impressed with the beta. It's quite good fun!

Battlefront II common classes: Bothan Spy, Imperial Officer, Clone Commander or the Droid Engineer. Without points an Engineer or Vanguard.
Rebel_Trooper is offline   you may:
Old 10-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #130
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Trooper
Other than that (and the Imperial Officer) I'm impressed with the beta. It's quite good fun!
I agree....I don't really like how they created the Imperial Officer....generally cause of his primary weapon.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may:
Old 10-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #131
master_skywalke

I saw the Imperial Officer was good in the first alphas (a SWBFII presentation movie from April) so why did they change it.Also, why do they give the Imperial Officer a Commando Pistol that shoots sonic blasts?(forgot the name, the blasts out of the Sonic Blasters of the Geonosians)

master_skywalke is offline   you may:
Old 10-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #132
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
Right, mines should be effective against vehicles, but I feel that they should be used as defensive weapons. They should be set like traps around your command post, choke points, or a well traveled road to disrupt infantry and seriously weaken vehicles.
I guess I'm a hardcore JK series guy, because I see nothing wrong with using mines as offensive weapons. Seriously though it takes skill, otherwise they blow themselves up.

And wouldn't you rather dump your load of mines before you get killed than save them all out of some sense of "honor"? If people lack skill, who cares. That's like arguing that guns shouldn't be able to fire fast or have a lot of ammo because people with bad aim will "spam" them... it's not really much of an argument, no offense.

Quote:
Right now though I think they're too powerful against infantry, especially in the hands of the heavy weapons trooper, who already has a rocket launcher to fight vehicles with.
Are you saying they should have seperate Anti-Infantry and Anti-Vehicle mines? Because otherwise I fail to see why a mine should destroy a vehicle, but not kill a single infantry man who steps on one... it just makes the game more complicated, but I could see it being done easily enough (like the Concussion Grenades/Thermal Detonators thing).

Quote:
Now they can just rush tight, indoor maps dropping mines left and right using there rockets to finish of any infantry who tries to stand and fight them. Most of the others roll around to avoid there rockets and end up landing on a mine he just dropped, killing several teamates in the process. Thus racking up more kills for the heavy weapons guy.
Considering they need everything they can get to destroy vehicles, I say they need those mines. You're saying they should instead just have double the rocket ammo? Because otherwise they don't stand a chance. You use up all your ammo destroying one vehicle (or the rare chance that you get a hot spot, you have a little left over to barely scratch the paint on another vehicle), and boom, you're sunk. Heavy Weapons guys racking up kills.. nothing wrong with that. They shouldn't go toe to toe with somebody like that in the first place, unless they're suicidal!

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 10-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #133
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_skywalke
I saw the Imperial Officer was good in the first alphas (a SWBFII presentation movie from April) so why did they change it.Also, why do they give the Imperial Officer a Commando Pistol that shoots sonic blasts?(forgot the name, the blasts out of the Sonic Blasters of the Geonosians)
What was he like there? Is that video still available?

I know the Officer was present in the SWBF1 XBox demo, which I never played since I don't have an Xbox... was he similar to that in any way?

Old 10-05-2005, 03:35 PM   #134
zerted

They could change the mines to be some sort of electric mine. It would give off an EMP or something and fry/damage the electronics on the vehicles. A person would get shocked, but not blown up. It could take away %50 of the player's health, and the rocket launchers would be given 4-5 mines.

Old 10-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #135
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan

I know the Officer was present in the SWBF1 XBox demo, which I never played since I don't have an Xbox... was he similar to that in any way?
No.

In SWBF he had a standard blaster pistol, orbital strikes, supply dispenser, ability to uncover spies and track all enemies on the map.
TK-8252 is offline   you may:
Old 10-05-2005, 06:27 PM   #136
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Well you cannot set off your own mines in Battlefront so I think it takes a bit more skill to do it in JK, anyway I guess my view about how mines should work is just diffrent from yours, I see them as a sort of defensive tool placed around a command post or other key area to defend it against enemy infantry and vehicles alike. Not an argument just my opinion.

I really don't have a problem with mines killing infantry, I'm sorry my statement made it seem I wanted them to do no damage to infantry. I just think that they are being used incorrectly. Online the only time you see a heavy weapons troopers using mines against vehicles is when they run in front of a walker trailing mines behind them. All the other time the vehicle usually destroys the mine before detonating it, usually accidently or on purpose.

Instead they are used to attack command posts, killing people as they spawn before they have a chance to fight, even if theres a spawn invinciblity on, the rocket trooper usually gets you with his launcher before you even get up. It's kind of ironic, the maps were the heavy weapons trooper preforms the best is the maps where vehicles play almost no role.

Normally I have no problem with people using things "incorrectly", I think it's fun and kind of creative. Just so long as there is some balance, sure you can try to rush a command post with your rocket launcher and sniper rifle, but they are very innacurate weapons so you have to be pretty skilled (or lucky) to take over a command post on your own with them. But if the sniper rifle or rocket launcher fired as quickly as the blaster rifle, well the challenge is gone, everyone would be the sniper or the heavy weapons trooper and not just rack up kills but dominate the other players.

Mines arn't as overpowered as say a Heavy Repeating Super Rocket Launcher of Ultimate Pwnage, I just think it's kind of cheap the way some players use them. I guess I just think that they would fit better with the technician, who is more of a behind the scenes guy, responsibe for keeping things repaired and defending the base. Although I will admit removing the mines would require some balancing. Like maybe giving them a blaster rifle, not as accurate or as quick as the soldiers blaster rifle this one fires huge shots that can damage and finish off a weakened vehicle, and is very damaging to infantry but is slower and more cumbersome then a standerd blaster rifle making it less effective vs infantry.

Last edited by ParanoidAndroid; 10-05-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:05 PM   #137
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan

I do recall seeing him the E3 demo at gamespot....hopefully this will help...http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/s...ml?sid=6130244

Old 10-06-2005, 01:14 PM   #138
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Also something concerning beta....ahh...you might want to scan your computer of viruses each time after you play it....cuase the night after I played it, I turned on the computer and it turned out the I had a system32 error or something like that. So, the computer had to be brought into a shop and repaired....so you might want to scan your computer after playing the beta.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #139
Kurgan
Headhunter

Ouch. Well considering I do a scan every other day and regular registry scans/spyware scans I think I should be okay. But then of course Lucasarts and Pandemic take no responsibility if the beta screws your computer over according to the agreement you sign when you install it, so couldn't hurt to be on the safe side!

The beta is very unstable... I find that if I host a game in the morning, when I come home in the afternoon, it's no longer running. And yes, I set an admin password on it, so it's not like somebody is likely "hacking in and shutting it down." :P

Old 10-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #140
zerted

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderobiwan
Also something concerning beta....ahh...you might want to scan your computer of viruses each time after you play it....cuase the night after I played it, I turned on the computer and it turned out the I had a system32 error or something like that. So, the computer had to be brought into a shop and repaired....so you might want to scan your computer after playing the beta.
Not many viruses would cause a system32 error. If you remember the error, I could tell you what caused it. Did the computer boot up into a blue screen? Did the computer boot up into windows and then give you the error? The chances it was caused by a virus from SWBF2 is very, very, very
small.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #141
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Well, when I turned on the computer, it load as normal than a black screen appeared on had all the stuff I listed above. And when I brought it in he (computer repairmen) said it was from the beta.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #142
biny
Rookie

Dont worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1cago88
This game is a nightmare! Everytime I join a game, (empty or full), seconds later the game crashes. My computer is meant for gaming so I know that my specs have nothing to do with it. (I just bought the 7800 graphic card) No one has an answer in the bug boards, help!!

Other poeple haveing my problem or close to it
http://www.forumplanet.com/3dactionp...24&tid=1747480
2 things:

1. Its only a beta, it can only get better.
2. Its multiplayer and you might just be experiencing lag or a bad connection when connecting to the server.

Dont worry, be happy!

"I reject your reality, and substitue my own!"
-Adam Savage, Mythbuster Extraordiniare.

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."
-Jean Chretien, former Prime Minister of Canada.

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!!!

biny is offline   you may:
Old 10-08-2005, 01:22 AM   #143
Darth Alec
Forumite

No more keys left

I am a High Admiral of the Imperial fleet.

Serving the Empire is my destiny, and only Sidious is my lord.

Two starwars parodys...

Starwars gangsta rap

Robot chicken
Darth Alec is offline   you may:
Old 10-08-2005, 02:10 AM   #144
zerted

^^Are you sure? They can always generate more keys. Did they run out with this batch and are going to release another batch, or did they just stop releasing keys?

Old 10-08-2005, 07:34 AM   #145
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Well i have it. lol, It doesn't work but i'm keeping it just in case.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may:
Old 10-09-2005, 11:20 PM   #146
minilogoguy18
Rookie

does anyone know how to create a game? ive been lookin around but havnt seen anything about how to do it. i think the game will be good though, alot better than the first. also for me the PC version will be alot better to get since it runs flawlessly (unless im on a really bad server) and since i know how to add custom vehicle models to the game
minilogoguy18 is offline   you may:
Old 10-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #147
zerted

^^are you talking about making a server? Check here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=152834

Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 AM   #148
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
When I got my computer fixed up...the person who fixed it deleted Beta for the computer...so I would have to download it again to play it...but I am not going to bother. Now that I have the PS2 demo for SWBF2

Old 10-10-2005, 02:46 AM   #149
zerted

Quote:
Originally Posted by commanderobiwan
When I got my computer fixed up...the person who fixed it deleted Beta for the computer...so I would have to download it again to play it...but I am not going to bother. Now that I have the PS2 demo for SWBF2
Did you check the Wndows recycling bin? It could still be in there...

Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 AM   #150
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Not there....

Old 10-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #151
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

why canyt i play this game?? when i start it i just keep coming back to windows but the gamne is still running!! and when i click on it i can hear the music and all for a few seconds then i get back to windows again... HELP PLS!!!

SW Galaxies Online name: Cavkov
Server: Chimaera
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Guild: DOS - Dark Order of the Sith

If you only knew the power of the darkside!
Igor_Cavkov is offline   you may:
Old 10-10-2005, 10:02 AM   #152
minilogoguy18
Rookie

dude its a beta, a very unstable beta. its free so dont expect too much out of it.
minilogoguy18 is offline   you may:
Old 10-10-2005, 10:32 AM   #153
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Igor, get a grip the game comes out in a few weeks.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 10-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #154
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Grrr... I downloaded it and can't find where to get the key! This is driving me up the wall.
TKA-001 is offline   you may:
Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #155
NinjApe
Lurker

I've downloaded it, installed it, but I just can't get the damn game to work >.<.
NinjApe is offline   you may:
Old 10-10-2005, 06:17 PM   #156
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

There were several links to the Key page during the download process, if you haven't found it by now just give up.

- Halo_92

Old 10-10-2005, 06:23 PM   #157
zerted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjApe
I've downloaded it, installed it, but I just can't get the damn game to work >.<.
And your problem is? What happens when you try to get it to work? Post you answer as a new thread in the Tech Support area.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:28 PM   #158
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Beta may contain a virus so I advised you to virus scan the computer after you play.

Old 10-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #159
Blackrider27
Rookie

really it may have a virus UH OHHHH
Blackrider27 is offline   you may:
Old 10-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #160
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrider27
really it may have a virus UH OHHHH
Yes....you should get a anti-virus prgram if you don't have one....scan everyday...

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront II > General Discussion > Beta test (no pay subscription required)