lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Learning to build Doors - GtkRadiant 1.5.0
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 PM   #41
StaffSaberist
DECEPTION IS FINISHED! :D

Location: The United States of America... and damn proud of it!
Luke, Kengo's link to BehavEd is broken. I am doing a search. I found a set of tools for JK2 at Massassi.net, but the one with BehavEd is corrupted. *groan* I'm continuing the search...

EDIT - I found one! But it's probably an older version... It's Version 2.0.

Deception, the best SP level-set in the world, is done! Get it here!
"Query: What is it you wish, fat one?" - HK-47 at his best
I have begun modding TSL. Check it out here. and My Fanfic
StaffSaberist is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2005, 09:12 PM   #42
StaffSaberist

UPDATE: I have meta-tested the octagonal room (at fullbright) and checked out a few things. The first is the texture. A round column I made had tiny textures, a funny sight! The second thing I did is check the framerate I will have in these battles. Note, however, that in the game, pillars will block your view somewhat, improving the framerate.

OK, my computer has the following specs:

CPU: 2.6 gHz Pentium IV
Video Card: nVidia 256 MB
Memory: 512 MB

Yeah, I know, not all that great. I'm savimg for a better system, don't flame me for it...

Anyway, I used cheats ingame to spawn 11 Jedi_random, 11 Reborn, and 6 Stormies. That's right, 28 NPC's! I then unfroze them, and the battle was on.

When not looking directly into the battle: 70-98 FPS on my machine
When the battle is half in view: 25-30 FPS
Looking directly at the battle: 10-15 FPS

My res is 800 X 600 and I use Trilinear Fltering, with Anisitropic at the max. Dynamic lighting is off. (Too bad for me; I love the saber effect you get.)

I predict that when I finish with the columns, the lowest framerate on my computer should at least double. I am using detail brushes, BTW. On a better machine, it should be much better. Now, that will probably be as hard as is gets: Expert level. At least in number. I will change the Reborn to Reborn_New and the Stormies will be better armed. But I was in a hurry, and spawned the regular. The Jedi stomped the invasion.

I have figured out what I want the levels to be like. Let me know if any of this is impossible:

N00B - Initial invasion is small, and the number of Jedi Trainers is increased. Enemies later on are spawned 2-3 at a time. Stormies all have blasters and all Reborn are the holdovers from JO. There is, however, only a scant few medpacks, a few shield charges, and no Bacta. There are also few ammo chargers. You'll have to make the most of that.

Easy - Initial invasion is larger (about 7 Reborn and 3 Stormies) and they are better armed. Enemies then come 4-5 at a time. Mostly JO Reborn throughout the level; some are "boss" Reborn_new. Stormies have blasters and the occasional Repeater. There are some scattered recharges of various types.

STANDARD - Initial invasion is large, about 10 Reborn and 6 Stormies. The number of Jedi allies is reduced, and most Reborn are Reborn_New, with some Reborn_Dual and a few Reborn_staff. Stormies are better armed, from the blaster to the Flechette. Luke and Kyle are now players to defend: Unlike N00b and Easy, if either is killed, you immediatly lose the game. After that, enemies come about 6-7 at a time. Heavier armed Stormies are used more tactically to defend choke points, like narrow hallway corners. You will find scattered recharges as well as a few caches, in the form of Imperial Medcamps and Armories. (I say camps because this is no Imperial base. It's the rift.)

EXPERT - You'd better be prepared for a fight. A big one. The initial attack is huge, totalling about 13 Reborn of various kinds and 7 Stormies, armed with 4 Flechettes and 3 Merr Sonns. After that, enemies come by the handful. You will find more Imperial Camps (if you survive!) to heal yourself, and replenish your ammo.

Ooh, I forgot Mercs! And a few other useful enemies... :evil:

Now, when I do difficulty, do I need to create 4 different mapsets, or just one with some script I don't yet understand?

EDIT - The architecture of the first level is nearly complete. To be fair, it is a small level, designed that way because of the immense number of potential NPC's. I am working on the lighting now. I loaded up the game, and some models were missing! I had the rift_statue I created, but was missing the lamps I "hung" on the walls. The lights were still there. (The lighting needs work, still.) Now, I have a different question this post:

1 - Why are the lamp models missing, but not the statue?

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-20-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:11 AM   #43
lassev
cryptoscripter

Many entities have flags to control if they are spawned only when the player has selected a specific difficulty level.

Frozen by ICARUS
lassev is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #44
StaffSaberist

Ah. I see. That'll make things a bit easier. Now, to finish up level I, and get started on the actual level in it's entirety... I'll worry about the difficulty key later. It's mapping time!

Old 10-21-2005, 04:59 PM   #45
shukrallah
White Dragon

http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?action=file&id=331

JKA MP SDK. Comes with BehavEd. If your version is outdated then you won't be able to take advantage of the cool new JKA features!
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #46
StaffSaberist

Ah. Thanks! I had the correct version all right, but was missing a few files. OK, that settles that. Hey, just so I know, is there a way to make certain characters invisible during cutscenes, and a "cutscene only" clone of it appear? I've seen the cutscene only property in the Entity Window, but I dunno if you can make some show up only not during cutscenes. Also, I want to know if I can trigger a cutscene after a whole squad dies, and not just one person.

UPDATE - Other than the problem listed below, the archi for the first room/level is COMPLETE. Texturing is COMPLETE. Lighting is in progress, and scripting will take a long time. I have to learn a lot! I intend to

spoiler:
script the AI to act more intelligent. Tactics will be a major part of it. How many times have you seen this: A few Flechette Stormies attack just as a Reborn jumps in the way. He gets killed by his fellow Troopers. I'm not letting that happen. In fact, I will script ambush paths. I don't mean the AI gets spawned behind you; the enemy will take side-paths and ambush from there. So, a fair warning: If the Reborn run away, they WILL ambush. Almost a guarantee.

EDIT - Also, one of my statue models is WAY too small! I can't seem to make it larger. Any ideas?

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-21-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #47
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
Ah. Thanks! I had the correct version all right, but was missing a few files. OK, that settles that. Hey, just so I know, is there a way to make certain characters invisible during cutscenes, and a "cutscene only" clone of it appear? I've seen the cutscene only property in the Entity Window, but I dunno if you can make some show up only not during cutscenes. Also, I want to know if I can trigger a cutscene after a whole squad dies, and not just one person.
Yeah, all of that is possible.

The cutscene flag basically disables their AI. Its good for cutscenes, bad for gameplay. You can rescript their behavior status in a script.

As for making dudes invisible-

Take an NPC, give it an NPC_Targetname. This is like their name.

For example:

NPC_Targetname
Stormtrooper (This can be anything you want)

in the script have something like this:

Affect Stormtrooper (Or whatever you put for the npc_targetname!)
Task Invisible (or whatever you want to call the task, this can be anything)
Set_invisible true
do invisible (or whatever you called the task)

So basically, the script is calling the NPC called "Stormtrooper" Setting a task (a task is just something that says the NPC, or object in question is going to do something) Set_Invisible does what it says, make the NPC invisible, and Nonsolid. And the Do command tells it to do the specified task

To make it not invisible do the same thing except change the task name, and the do target, and set invisible to false. You'll need to add a new command to make the NPC solid... look around at the various set commands Theres like a hundred of them, which is really cool... plus they all have good descriptions.

Most Set commands can be used with the above set up, you can use that setup with walking, talking, animation, saber activation, weapon firing... teleporting... crap... anything. There are possibly other ways to do some things simpler, but crap, its was only 4-5 lines of codes you drag and drop! Its not that tough

EDIT: Oh and yeah, you can trigger a cutscene after a whole squad dies, but I never really needed to know that. It was something about a counter... maybe someone else can help you out there...

.... Lassev.... .... .... lol.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #48
StaffSaberist

Great! All of you are going into the credits. No question. (After me, of course ) It's good to know. As for weapons fire, I expected that, considering the light side Taspir III scene where Jaden fights Alora, and Alora sabers Rosh Penin. Awesome, never liked Rosh. I do need to know about the whole squad death. It's necessary for what I want. The cutscene triggered by the squad's death leads into the next level.

BTW, I re-tested the framerate for the huge beginning battle. Spawning 11 Jedi_Random, 1 Kyle, and 1 Luke, 11 Reborn_New, and 3 Stormie Rocketeers. Something like that will be used on Expert level. Aaanyways, I got rocketed while fighting a Reborn_Staff, but I left my dead character on the ground, watching the battle play out. The Jedi won, but I was unsure of by how much, so I spawned NPC_player. The Jedi all rallied and killed him - a funny sight. Luke, Kyle, and about 3 Jedi_random were alive. Throughout the whole battle, MY FRAMERATE NEVER DROPPED BELOW 20 FPS. Considering my computer isn't exactly NASA quality, that's excellent. All from adding pillers like the ones seen in t3_rift.

I still have another issue: model rift_statue. In t3_rift, the jedi statues are about twice the size of the player. The one I created is about the same size as the player, and I cannot find out how to change the size. I've just about tried everything; nothing seems to resize it. I wonder what that could be.

Lighting is still in progress. I need some crystal pillars with lighting. That would be good. Oh, and I noticed something odd. In t3_rift, the whole level has this blueish tint to it, as if a blue light equally fills the entire level. I believe this is ambient light, correct? I know that can be set in worldspawn, unless I am sadly mistaken. What key and values can I put in to make that happen?

After the entire levelset is complete, I will need a working script. Not scripting, I mean voice acting. I can probably play one part, but not all. Again, though, I'm not worried about it until the level is done. In the meantime, I'll use the PRINT script to act as a placeholder.

A long post, but a good one. I am going to touch up my lighting a bit so I don't have to look at the level fullbright anymore. Fullbright makes anything look ugly.

While compiling, I happened to notice what HAS to be an Easter Egg. After giving the version number of GtkRadiant (1.4.0) It gave me this line:

"A well-oiled toaster oven"

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-22-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:29 AM   #49
lassev
cryptoscripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskywalker1
Affect Stormtrooper (Or whatever you put for the npc_targetname!)
Task Invisible (or whatever you want to call the task, this can be anything)
Set_invisible true
do invisible (or whatever you called the task)
Whilst placing everything in a task is not an error, it's unnecessary and will clutter the script. Only commands whose execution you intend to monitor are useful in tasks, like a move command if you want to know when the movement is finished. set_invisible is an instantaneous command, and thus placing it in a task doesn't actually profit anything. Unless you place a bunch of commands in the task and use the task multiple time inside the affect.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh and yeah, you can trigger a cutscene after a whole squad dies, but I never really needed to know that. It was something about a counter... maybe someone else can help you out there...
Each NPC is given the key: NPC_target and a targetcounter is given a corresponding targetname. Set the counter count to represent the number of the NPCs with the particular NPC_target key.

Attention should be paid, however, to the peculiarity of the target_counter. The _counter's target is not often triggered, if the _counter is targeted directly to it. There oft needs to be a trigger_once (or _multiple if the _counter is reset) between the _counter and the intended target. Place this logical trigger for example inside an architectural detail brush so that no characters walks into it by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffSaberist
I still have another issue: model rift_statue. In t3_rift, the jedi statues are about twice the size of the player. The one I created is about the same size as the player, and I cannot find out how to change the size. I've just about tried everything; nothing seems to resize it. I wonder what that could be.
Use the modelscale key.

Quote:
Lighting is still in progress. I need some crystal pillars with lighting. That would be good. Oh, and I noticed something odd. In t3_rift, the whole level has this blueish tint to it, as if a blue light equally fills the entire level. I believe this is ambient light, correct? I know that can be set in worldspawn, unless I am sadly mistaken. What key and values can I put in to make that happen?
Yeah. That could be ambient. Enter it in worldspawn. I might also suggest _minlight key as well. Unlike ambient, it just makes sure no place has lighting below the given value, so it doesn't add to surfaces already having lighting. Well, at least that's how I've understood it. I used _minlight in Syndicate, instead of ambient.

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 10-22-2005, 08:00 AM   #50
riceplant

The rift also has fog. That helps for ambience at distances. And by the way, if you set things to detail, they won't block the player's view, but will decrease the number of generated portals, which I believe helps speeds in itself.
riceplant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #51
shukrallah
White Dragon

Yeah, it can help speed, but I think its possible to hinder it as well. Sometimes its good to block the vis.... you know so it doesn't draw all the crap behind it. The pillars aren't too big of a deal though, I think. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Whilst placing everything in a task is not an error, it's unnecessary and will clutter the script. Only commands whose execution you intend to monitor are useful in tasks, like a move command if you want to know when the movement is finished. set_invisible is an instantaneous command, and thus placing it in a task doesn't actually profit anything. Unless you place a bunch of commands in the task and use the task multiple time inside the affect.
Yeah, thats true, I forgot about that. I started out always using tasks... and then eventually slowly started doing what your saying. Then I stopped scripting so... yeah.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:24 AM   #52
StaffSaberist

Each NPC is given the key: NPC_target and a targetcounter is given a corresponding targetname. Set the counter count to represent the number of the NPCs with the particular NPC_target key.

Quote:
Attention should be paid, however, to the peculiarity of the target_counter. The _counter's target is not often triggered, if the _counter is targeted directly to it. There oft needs to be a trigger_once (or _multiple if the _counter is reset) between the _counter and the intended target. Place this logical trigger for example inside an architectural detail brush so that no characters walks into it by accident.
OK, just to make absolutely sure I understand this, I'm going to list the steps I think you are telling me to do. Let me know if I got it or not.

1. I give all enemy NPC's the key NPC_target and give them all the same value for that key.

2. I create a Trigger_counter brush and place it anywhere I want. I set the key counter with the value equal to the number of NPC_targets (eg. if I have 13 enemies, key counter is set to 13)

3. I create a Trigger_once inside a detail brush of some kind and target it at the _counter.

4. I script the cutscene as desired.

I get the feeling I botched this one up big time...

Quote:
The rift also has fog. That helps for ambience at distances. And by the way, if you set things to detail, they won't block the player's view, but will decrease the number of generated portals, which I believe helps speeds in itself.
Setting things to detail cut my compile time into 1/6 what in normally took (this was before I scrapped most of it), so I won't complain. And if structural brushes block whatever's drawn behind it... it would improve the framerate of the battle if I made the pillars structural! That right?

Quote:
Yeah. That could be ambient. Enter it in worldspawn. I might also suggest _minlight key as well. Unlike ambient, it just makes sure no place has lighting below the given value, so it doesn't add to surfaces already having lighting. Well, at least that's how I've understood it. I used _minlight in Syndicate, instead of ambient.
Sounds good to me. I'll add that in GtkRadiant 1.5.0. I find myself going back and forth between the two versions. That's right: I never got rid of 1.5. The reason is that it is a heckuva lot easier in a few ways:

1 - I can select multiple faces at once with the press of a key. I may be doing it wrong, but I only seem to be able to do it one at a time with 1.4.

2 - I can select entities such as worldspawn much easier. It just works better for me.

My real gripe with 1.5 is that half the textures didn't load and show up as "shader image missing". AACK!

Is there a way to set the color of that _minilight? If there is, I may not need to use fog.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:34 AM   #53
StaffSaberist

Also, I am trying to make a simple script for a cutscene where a Jedi runs to am object_ref, walks to another, and so on. But the "Run to" and the "Walk to" mentioned in the manual isn't there. Do I need to do this in Notepad? If I do, I may never need BehavEd again...

Sorry for double-post, my computer locks up whenever I edit that last post.

Old 10-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #54
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Quote:
Setting things to detail cut my compile time into 1/6 what in normally took (this was before I scrapped most of it), so I won't complain. And if structural brushes block whatever's drawn behind it... it would improve the framerate of the battle if I made the pillars structural! That right?
In general, "major" structural elements like walls dividing two rooms or large structures that you generally won't be able to see around or through should be structural brushes, and everything else should be detail brushes. In your case, unless these pillars are humongous, they should be detail brushes within the structural hull of the map. For a good overview of the detail/structural brush distinction, check out this site: http://www.nibsworld.com/rtcw/tutori...es_part1.shtml. It's for RTCW, but it's the same engine and the same principles.

Regarding ambient light: it's generally NOT a good idea to have any ambient light above a level of 15-20. Anything more than that washes out shadows and looks generally awful. If you want lighter shadows, you can use _minlight as lassev suggested. If you want to actually light the map, go with light entities or light-emitting shaders. The color can be set by adding the key "_color" and value "r g b" in normalized RGB. The lighting effects in t3_rift were enhanced by fog, which can be entered as a global fog in the worldspawn entity. The JA SDK comes with the t3_rift .map file, so you can jsut open it up, and check the worldspawn to see what was done!
Quote:
Sounds good to me. I'll add that in GtkRadiant 1.5.0. I find myself going back and forth between the two versions. That's right: I never got rid of 1.5. The reason is that it is a heckuva lot easier in a few ways:

1 - I can select multiple faces at once with the press of a key. I may be doing it wrong, but I only seem to be able to do it one at a time with 1.4.

2 - I can select entities such as worldspawn much easier. It just works better for me.

My real gripe with 1.5 is that half the textures didn't load and show up as "shader image missing". AACK!
In 1.4.0, you can just hold CTRL+SHIFT and drag the mouse across all the faces you want to select ("paint-select" them) or hold CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and single-click each face to select or deselect it.

To select an entity, just SHIFT+click on it's bounding box in the editor, then you can press N to bring up the entity inspector. For the worldspawn (and ONLY for the worldspawn) you should press ESC a few times to make sure nothing is selected and then press N to bring up the entity inspector. That should be the worldspawn right there...if not, click on "worldspawn" in the list of entities given. So far as I know this functionality has not changed from 1.4.0 to 1.5.0.

Last edited by wedge2211; 10-22-2005 at 01:49 PM.
wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #55
lassev
cryptoscripter

Quote:
3. I create a Trigger_once inside a detail brush of some kind and target it at the _counter.
This is obviously wrong. It has to be the other way around. Target the counter to the trigger. The order of targeting is of fundamental importance, because the targeted entity gets the targetname key and the targeting entity gets the target key. After that target the trigger to a target_scriptrunner.

Quote:
Also, I am trying to make a simple script for a cutscene where a Jedi runs to am object_ref, walks to another, and so on. But the "Run to" and the "Walk to" mentioned in the manual isn't there. Do I need to do this in Notepad? If I do, I may never need BehavEd again...
I'm positively sure I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't think there exists an entity called object_ref. And there certainly aren't commands called "walk to" and "run to". When you want an NPC to walk or run somewhere, you place a waypoint_navgoal to the desired target location and then in a script set the set_navgoal command to make the NPC move there. Also you can set in a script if you want the NPC to walk or run.

It sounds to me like you read a manual for some other game altogether...

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 10-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #56
StaffSaberist

Sorry, it's ref_tag, and what I want is to have a character run to a specific point on the map, then continue to other points I set up. I saw in the BEHAVED MANUAL that RunTo and WalkTo were MACROS, meaning they have the [ and ] symbol. I'm pretty positive that rings a few bells, lassev. I know this, I play a lot of levels you took part in, and a lot of the action is walking.

An example - Syndicate: Initiation had characters walking, and voices playing. I get how to play voices; I want to know how to get an NPC to run from Point A to Point B! So far, that's all I need to know for now. Sorry if I confused you. I'll get back to work when I am sober. (j/k)

EDIT - I hit ESC a bunch of times and hit N. It brought up the info for the last thing I selected. So I said "select worldspawn" in the Entity list and it highlighted a brush. So, I hit N again, and I got the entity list for worldspawn. I set the key MINLIGHT and the vakue 10. The room was pitch-black when I loaded it.

EDIT II - lassev, sorry if I sound angry. The heat in this room is getting to me.

"Anger leads to hate, hate... leads to suffering"

-Yoda

Well, I'd sure as heck suffer if I lost my help with this level!

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-22-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:25 PM   #57
lassev
cryptoscripter

Macros can't contain any commands not otherwise supported. And furthermore, there aren't macros called RunTo or WalkTo (unless you make them youself). The default macros don't contain anything other than boolean commands (and a preset behavior_state, a special table command) - nothing to edit, that is.

There actually was a very nice waypoint / navgoaling tutorial, but it hasn't been online for a couple of years. It demonstrated some tricks of the process in a good way, and was also an otherwise proficient set of instructions. I have it on HD, locally, but I can't host it publicly anywhere as that would break copyrights.

Edit: The key is _minlight. The underscore probably isn't there just for extra kicks...

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 10-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #58
StaffSaberist

Darn, that stinks! I looked on my tutorial page and it has waypoints, but not scripting. It also says that I need to script waypoints for a saber-wielding character, since it's scripts override the waypoints. Well, not even my Stormies follow the [flamin] waypoints, and the tut site is incomplete. I'll look as hard as I can. All I really should need is the command used to do this. I know it's possible, every level I see worth d/ling has it! Anyway, bring on Google!

Old 10-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #59
wedge2211

Quote:
EDIT - I hit ESC a bunch of times and hit N. It brought up the info for the last thing I selected. So I said "select worldspawn" in the Entity list and it highlighted a brush. So, I hit N again, and I got the entity list for worldspawn. I set the key MINLIGHT and the vakue 10. The room was pitch-black when I loaded it.
The key should be "_minLight" with an underscore.

Old 10-22-2005, 05:44 PM   #60
StaffSaberist

Oops. Ok, I'll fix that...

I looked on Google, and found a SINGLE link that promised exactly what I wanted... and the link was DEAD! :aargh:

FOUND IT!!! It has to do with one of the two "Sets" and a Navgoal. Hmm. I'll have to try it out. Thank you, old threads!

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-22-2005 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #61
lassev
cryptoscripter

Ordinary waypoints are totally passive entities used only by the game AI, automatically. You can't do anything with them via scripting. Waypoint_navgoals are used in scripts to set the target locations of NPC movement. However, when the NPC moves to a designated navgoal, it can use an existing waypoint network, if you have built one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge
For the worldspawn (and ONLY for the worldspawn) you should press ESC a few times to make sure nothing is selected and then press N to bring up the entity inspector. That should be the worldspawn right there...if not, click on "worldspawn" in the list of entities given. So far as I know this functionality has not changed from 1.4.0 to 1.5.0.
I have never quite understood this. If you select any brush that isn't a part of an entity, aren't you accessing the worldspawn?

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 10-22-2005, 07:55 PM   #62
wedge2211

That might be a personal preference thing. I've always been a bit afraid of accidentally creating some weird entity out of my brushwork by doing that, but I have noticed that it seems like it should work. Do whatever works, StaffSaberist!

Old 10-22-2005, 08:51 PM   #63
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassev
I have never quite understood this. If you select any brush that isn't a part of an entity, aren't you accessing the worldspawn?

Yup.

Quote:
An example - Syndicate: Initiation had characters walking, and voices playing. I get how to play voices; I want to know how to get an NPC to run from Point A to Point B! So far, that's all I need to know for now. Sorry if I confused you. I'll get back to work when I am sober. (j/k)
Hmmm... I basically told you already, use affect, task, command, do.

Set up your NPC_Targetname like before. Throw in your Nav_goals with targetname "whatever_you_want" (No " and im not sure if spaces work)

Affect npc_Targetname
task Walk
set navgoal "Navgoal's_targetname"
do walk

As for talking use the same setup, but throw in sound channel voice or something like that, with the path to the voice file.

Oh and a quick tip:

You can throw multiple "set" commands in a task group. For example I could put the set_navgoal and sound channel voice in the same task, and then do will do them at the same time (so the NPC would walk and talk)

Sometimes you can mix up animations aswell (for future reference) I would use set_anim_upper file while walking. For example I would use set_anim_upper and the animation when you put your hands behind your back, and tell the NPC to walk, that way he would walk with his hands behind his back (with the affect, task, command, do setup)

Hope this helps some...
Old 10-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #64
StaffSaberist

Sure did. Sorry if I didn't get it at first. Show me one way, it's a way to do that particular thing. Show me two ways, and I understand it all. OK. done. Though lassev, I believe, said somethin' about not needing to use a task. thanks, lu - WHOA! You're not luke! You're an impostor!

Either that or you changed your name. The second one's most likely.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:05 PM   #65
shukrallah
White Dragon

Heh, yeah, changed my name

Well, theres certain things you need tasks for. Then theres certain things you don't need them for. I am sure walking requires task, but I could be wrong. Im not sure about talking though... :-\ I normally use tasks when I am not sure, just because as long as its set right its guaranteed to work...
Old 10-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #66
StaffSaberist

Here's the odd part: When I tried doing this in BehavEd, I got compile errors, but when I did it in Notepad, opened it up and re-compiled, it went down perfectly.

My days of using BehavEd may be shortlived after this point... but it is a wonderful tool to learn the language. Actually, it's not that complex, it's a watered down version of vB programming. Anyway, I'm going to playtest my new cutscene!

Edit: Hmm. the Jedi didn't go anywhere. Here's the coding I have now:

Code:
//Generated by BehavEd

camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ ENABLE );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ MOVE, $tag( "cam1", ORIGIN)$, 0 );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "cam1", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 0 );

affect ( "SceneJedi", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
{
//$"walkOnly"@5
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_BEHAVIOR_STATE", /*!*/ "BS_DEFAULT" );
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_WALKING", /*!*/ "true" );
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_RUNNING", /*!*/ "false" );
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_IGNOREALERTS", /*!*/ "true" );
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_LOOK_FOR_ENEMIES", /*!*/ "false" );
	set ( "navgoal", "t2" );
}

wait ( $8000$ );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ MOVE, $tag( "cam2", ORIGIN)$, $5000$ );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "cam2", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 5000 );

{
//$"runOnly"@5
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_WALKING", /*!*/ "false" );
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_RUNNING", /*!*/ "true" );
	set ( "navgoal", "t3" );
}

wait ( $7000$ );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ MOVE, $tag( "cam3", ORIGIN)$, 5000 );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "cam3", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 5000 );
wait ( $8000$ );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ ZOOM, 30.000, 3000 );

{
//$"runOnly"@5
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_WALKING", /*!*/ "false" );
	set ( /*!*/ "SET_RUNNING", /*!*/ "true" );
	set ( "navgoal", "t4" );
}

wait ( $9000$ );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ DISABLE );

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-22-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:21 PM   #67
shukrallah
White Dragon

Your using the wrong set and the wrong wait.

Use these:
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/6346/script7bv.jpg

EDIT: Oh... and about your compile errors... you might have BehavEd set up wrong as well. Its sorta tricky to get it right in JKA...

heres my config (load behavEd, click "pref"

Script Path:
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\scripts

SourceSafe Script Path:
$/StarTrek/BaseQ3/real_scripts

SourceSafe INI File location:
\\RAVEND\VSS\SRCSAFE.INI

Location of IBIZ.EXE
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Radiant-1.4\Tools\IBIze.exe

Command Description File
C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\Radiant-1.4\Tools\behavEd.bhc

Source File Path:
C:\projects\JEDI_Academy_SDK\Tools\SourceForBehavE d

Quote:
My days of using BehavEd may be shortlived after this point... but it is a wonderful tool to learn the language. Actually, it's not that complex, it's a watered down version of vB programming. Anyway, I'm going to playtest my new cutscene!
Yeah, theres only around 100 commands or so... I wish other languages like C++ would have a program like BehavEd that you could drag and drop that code in easy... :-\ All of that typing leads to typos and needless errors... :-\

Last edited by shukrallah; 10-22-2005 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #68
StaffSaberist

OK, I had errors, I closed it, and re-opened. Holy cr@p, it organized it! I'm unsure of how to use the other "set". I'm gonna look at that manual.

Just as I've had it with 1.5 Radiant, I've had it with BehavEd. Guess what? My problem isn't not knowing what to script; it's how to use the [flamin] program! Well, forget that. I've got an excellent ICARUS manual. I will do it, erm, manually, from now on.

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-22-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:53 PM   #69
shukrallah
White Dragon

Well, you drag and drop stuff. You can also double click commands, and use drop down menus. The programs lists are a little unorganized but they get the job done. The problem with doing it manually is you don't know all the commands... the manual only covers the basics.

In the other set command you just stick it into your script, use the menu to scroll down to the command you need and type the variable in the 2nd blank...
Old 10-22-2005, 11:17 PM   #70
StaffSaberist

OK, I fixed up the scripts, but he still won't move. Darn Jedi, move your kester! Here's the script now. All of the set commands were re-done in Notepad, not BehavEd.

Code:
//Generated by StaffSaberist

rem ( "Opening" );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "cam1", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 0 );
Affect ( "SceneJedi", FLUSH )
set( "SET_BEHAVIORSTATE", "BS_DEFAULT" )
set( "SET_WALKING", "true" )
{
task( "walk to t2" )
{
set( "SET_NAVGOAL", get( STRING, "SET_t2" ))
}
task( "walk to t3")
{
set( "SET_NAVGOAL", get(STRING, "SET_t3"))
}
task( "walk to t4")
{
set( "SET_NAVGOAL", get(STRING, "SET_t4"))
}
}
wait ( 8000.000 );
rem ( "From Camera I to Camera II" );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "cam2", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 5000 );
wait ( 7000.000 );
rem ( "From II to III" );
camera ( /*@CAMERA_COMMANDS*/ PAN, $tag( "cam3", ANGLES)$, < 0.000 0.000 0.000 >, 5000 );
wait ( 8000.000 );
Now, the manual may not be perfect, but it actually has an example of a character walking from point A to point B to point C. Sound familiar? Anyway, BehavEd treated it like it was created there. All the stuff was in place. Everything was perfect - except it didn't work. Also, I need to work on my timing, now... all the camera movements happened at once.

Old 10-23-2005, 04:38 AM   #71
lassev
cryptoscripter

You Affect has a misplaced opening brace, which might cause problems. And on the other hand, it's not enough to just place commands in a task. You must also launch the task by using the DO("task") command (or DOWAIT("task")). And remember that you must execute a task inside the same affect where you declared them.

And what is this: set( "SET_NAVGOAL", get(STRING, "SET_t4"))
Did you store the navgoal's targetname to a variable called: "SET_t4"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukrallah
Well, theres certain things you need tasks for. Then theres certain things you don't need them for. I am sure walking requires task, but I could be wrong. Im not sure about talking though... :-\ I normally use tasks when I am not sure, just because as long as its set right its guaranteed to work...
Well, basically there are only two cases when they can be useful: To monitor the execution of a command that takes time to complete (like move, set_navgoal) or to group a bunch of commands you intend to use many times and thus it saves some space to just DO the task multiple times instead of copy-pasting the group of commands separately. But there are no commands that require tasks (other than DO("task") and WAIT("task"), but since those aren't doing anything independently, it's a weak point).

It should be noted, however, that not all commands taking time to execute are compatible with WAIT("task") monitoring. A prime example is a sound file playing. It should never be placed in a task in order to monitor it with a WAIT("task"), because the game cannot reliably monitor the duration of a sound file. Otherwise sound files can of course placed in tasks and just launched with DO("task") (without waiting("task")).

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 10-23-2005, 06:53 AM   #72
riceplant

You know, the scripts from the game are full of examples of characters moving. It might be an idea to look there before asking here (because they actually work).
riceplant is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2005, 07:37 AM   #73
lassev
cryptoscripter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceplant
You know, the scripts from the game are full of examples of characters moving. It might be an idea to look there before asking here (because they actually work).
And advice given here doesn't work, eh?

But I'm not going to argue with you. It was a mistake on my part not to remember to mention that very same thing. Usually I do, but for some reason I forgot it this time...

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 10-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #74
StaffSaberist

Umm... I really don't know where to get scripts from the game. I'll look around. Right now, I'm looking in the assetsX.pk3 files...

EDIT - I found them, but only the .IBI files so far. They are basically unreadable. Here's just a sample:

spoiler:

IBI ?    SET_CINEMATIC_SKIPSCRIPT   t1_sour/intro_skip     rocket_crate_dan   `B    SET_INVINCIBLE   true    SET_HEALTH   A     npc_fakeKyleIntro   `B    SET_MORELIGHT   true    SET_WEAPON   WP_NONE     SET_CAMERA_GROUP   introCamGroup1    SET_WALKING   true    SET_NAVGOAL 
introNav1     npc_fakePlayerIntro   `B    SET_MORELIGHT   true    SET_WEAPON   WP_NONE     SET_CAMERA_GROUP   introCamGroup1    SET_WALKING   true    SET_NAVGOAL 
introNav1  #    xB#    hB  B  #    lB1  DB
introCam1   XB  #   dB1  DB
introCam1   TB  `A        #    hB  *B  #    B  introCamGroup1         D#    lB1  DB
introCam2   XB  #   dB1  DB
introCam2   TB  `A        #    hB  B  "    npc_fakePlayerIntro     npc_fakeKyleIntro2   `B    SET_MORELIGHT   true    SET_WEAPON   WP_NONE    SET_WALKING   true    SET_NAVGOAL  introNav1c     D   & Well I'll be... the Millennium Falcon )    falcon     CHAN_VOICE_GLOBAL   sound/chars/kyle/07kyk002.mp3  *    falcon     SET_LOOK_TARGET  look_kyle01     @E    SET_LOOK_TARGET   none     D  
Han, Chewie? )    han     CHAN_VOICE_GLOBAL   sound/chars/kyle/07kyk003.mp3      SET_LOOK_TARGET  look_kyle02 .    look at kyle2 *    han     han     ;D    I guess they're out. )    speak     CHAN_VOICE_GLOBAL   sound/chars/kyle/07kyk004.mp3 .    cut to camera3      SET_LOOK_TARGET   npc_fakePlayerIntro2 *    speak     speak    SET_DYAW   C    SET_LOOK_TARGET   none     HC.    goto introNav2b    SET_NAVGOAL 
introNav2      npc_fakePlayerIntro2   `B    SET_MORELIGHT   true    SET_WEAPON   WP_NONE    SET_WALKING   true    SET_NAVGOAL  introNav1b /    look at kyle2     SET_LOOK_TARGET   npc_fakeKyleIntro2 /    goto introNav2b     SET_LOOK_TARGET   none     /D   SET_DYAW   C    C   SET_NAVGOAL  introNav2b      D#   dB1  DB introCam2b   TB  `A        E#    hB  *B  zE/    cut to camera3  

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-23-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:09 PM   #75
wedge2211

The scripts in the pk3 are compiled. The JA SDK that's been mentioned a couple times before includes uncompiled scripts.

I also hope that detail brush page was useful.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #76
StaffSaberist

OK, I found the JA scripts .zip file. Wow! The navigation is a wee bit longer than I figured. OK, I'm gonna try out a few things, be back soon.

Edit- what is wrong now?

Code:
//Generated by BehavEd

rem ( "Opening" );

affect ( "SceneJedi", FLUSH )
{
	set ( "SET_BEHAVIORSTATE", "BS_DEFAULT" );
	set ( "SET_WALKING", "true" );

task ( "Walk to t2" )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", $get( STRING, "SET_t2")$ );
	}

do ( "Walk to t2" );

task ( "Walk to t3" )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", $get( STRING, "SET_t3")$ );
	}

do ( "Walk to t3" );

task ( "Walk to t4" )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", $get( STRING, "SET_t4")$ );
	}

do ( "Walk to t4" );
}

wait ( 8000.000 );
rem ( "From Camera I to Camera II" );
wait ( 7000.000 );
rem ( "From II to III" );
wait ( 8000.000 );

Last edited by StaffSaberist; 10-23-2005 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #77
shukrallah
White Dragon

Well, your telling it to do all those tasks at the same time! Either put some waits between them or use "dowait"

Like this:

Code:
//(BHVD)

affect ( "SceneJedi", FLUSH )
{
	set ( "SET_BEHAVIORSTATE", "BS_DEFAULT" );
	set ( "SET_WALKING", "true" );

task ( "Walk to t2" )
	{
	}

do ( "Walk to t2" );
	wait ( 5000.000 );

task ( "Walk to t3" )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", $get( STRING, "SET_t3")$ );
	}

do ( "Walk to t3" );
	wait ( 5000.000 );

task ( "Walk to t4" )
	{
		set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_NAVGOAL", $get( STRING, "SET_t4")$ );
	}

do ( "Walk to t4" );
}
As for dowaits, im not sure if they would work well, so I never bothered with them.

EDIT: also, I wonder if the behavior state has something to do with the NPCs not walking?
Old 10-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #78
lassev
cryptoscripter

Quote:
Code:
I hope you have declared and given the variable SET_t2 a proper value prior to launching this script. You never answered that question, when I first time asked...

And like shukrallah pretty much said, it's not very wise to use bs_default in cinematics. Bs_cinematic wasn't invented just for extra kicks but to prevent any unpredictable things happening. In BS_default, the NPCs have full AI support, and they can do all kinds of things you were never able to foresee.

Frozen by ICARUS
Old 10-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #79
StaffSaberist

That's a variable? Oh, geez. I am trying to get this guy to go to a ref_tag on the map with the targetname "t2". Then, to walk to a ref_tag with targetname "t3" and so on. So, I would declare a variable, of whatever name I wanted, as "t2"?

Sorry I didn't answer. I thought you meant to ask that in a mildly sarcastic way, like, "If you do it this way you need a variable". That got me thinking there was another way... OK. I'll have a better look-see at the declare section of the ICARUS manual.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #80
shukrallah
White Dragon

Use waypoint_navgoal instead of a ref_tag. Give it a targetname t2.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Mapping > Learning to build Doors - GtkRadiant 1.5.0