lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Module editor question
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-28-2005, 03:29 AM   #1
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Module editor question

I have a question about the module editor. Is it possible to make a new map which has the NPCs that where there originally and the ones you added? Whenever I add a few NPCs to a map, only those NPCs will be there, and the old ones won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Helpful! Notable contributor 
How did you extract the module for editing?

If you just used the Extract button for the .git, .are, and .ifo files, you won't see the other things that were in the module originally.

I don't know what your level of experience is, so pardon me if I speak below your level, but here's a brief explanation on how modules work...

A .git file tells the game engine what should be present in a module by making references to the items in it. These items have to exist as the various ut* files either in the module itself (editable instances in Kotor Tool parlance) or in the game's templates.bif file (non-editable references).

The easiest way to edit an existing module and to learn how they work is to extract the complete contents of one into a project folder, then open it in the module editor and experiment. This is how I learned how things work and also helped me to improve the features of the editor, too.

After you get comfortable with the inner workings of a module, add, change, and delete until you like what you get. On the topic of building the output mod file, I like to have mine go right into the game's Modules folder. This way, I can just start the game, load a save with the party configured as I like for testing, then warp to my module (whatever I saved the .mod as).

Kotor Tool Developer
http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/

"You want to help everyone who asks for aid, answer all of their questions, write that crucial bit of code for which they're searching, and be the hero who saves the day (and their job), but there comes a point when you realize that sleep is sometimes necessary."
—Stephen Toub

Visit the Kotor Tool Forum

Last edited by Fred Tetra; 10-28-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Fred Tetra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #3
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

I was using the mdoule editor which shows you a map you can drag NPCs or other things onto. I extracted all the map files, the git. are. and ifo. files.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

That would explain why you don't see the original items in-game. You have a .git that refers to items that you didn't extract, and while they'll show up in the module editor, the files to support them aren't present and so cannot be added to the .mod file.

You need to use the right-click menu on module to get the Extract for module editing menu item, then use that to extract. This will ensure that you're extracting what you want and removing any references in the .git for those things that you do not.

Kotor Tool Developer

"You want to help everyone who asks for aid, answer all of their questions, write that crucial bit of code for which they're searching, and be the hero who saves the day (and their job), but there comes a point when you realize that sleep is sometimes necessary."
—Stephen Toub

Old 10-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Thanks, I've gotten it to work now. I just have one more question - what do I do about lips?

Quote:
Old 10-29-2005, 04:22 PM   #6
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Pehaps you could be a little less cryptic?

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 10-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Lips are the movements of NPC's lips when they talk. Building a new module seems to make them keep their mouths shut while they talk.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #8
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Devon
Lips are the movements of NPC's lips when they talk. Building a new module seems to make them keep their mouths shut while they talk.
You might want to PM JdNoa, who has more knowledge of the Lip Sync features.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 10-30-2005, 01:04 AM   #9
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
You have to extract the .lip file(s) you use in your dialogs for your module to your override, then NPC's will talk normally.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Thanks. Where do I extract them from, though? There isn't anything about lips in KOTOR tool.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
Fred Tetra
Kotor Tool Guy

Quote:
Thanks. Where do I extract them from, though? There isn't anything about lips in KOTOR tool.
No one has show much interest in .lip files until recently, so Kotor Tool doesn't explicitly support their extraction. However, you can go to the Lips directory under the main game directory, grab the .mod file for the module you want, copy it to the Modules folder, then extract its contents in Kotor Tool from the ERFs | Modules tree section.

Kotor Tool Developer

—Stephen Toub

Old 10-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #12
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Thanks.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2005, 11:48 PM   #13
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
*Sees that Fred has saved the day and saved RedHawke much typing...*

You are welcome ED, and thanks Fred!

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > Module editor question