lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Sequel?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-29-2005, 12:31 PM   #1
Revan Skywalker
Rookie
 
Revan Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a place where few know, training and Mastering the Force and my own unusal ability to fly at will.
Posts: 126
Sequel?

Are they making a sequel to Republic Commando soon?


I'm a marshmallow away from a bowo of lucky charms.
Revan Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #2
Darth_Terros
Veteran
 
Darth_Terros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Korriban
Posts: 821
Helpful! 
Nope


Darth_Terros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Joetheeskimo
Statusless
 
Joetheeskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,923
Current Game: KotOR
Possibly. A survery was sent out by LF recently asking what people would like to see in a sequel to Republic Commando.

Joetheeskimo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 05:03 AM   #4
SirLancelot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 253
Karen Traviss has a second Republic Commando novel coming out in early 2006, called Triple Zero. I'm hopeful this will give us a sequel.


Darasuum Kote (Mandalorian for Eternal Glory)
-Motto of the Clone Army

http://www.imperialcommandos.com/main.htm
http://www.clonetroopers.net/
SirLancelot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,365
10 year veteran! 
Actually, LucasArts is staying too quite these days. I think they're gearing up for game surprises. Next year, I think, they should announce KotOR 3, RC 2 and some new SW games.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
Joetheeskimo
Statusless
 
Joetheeskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,923
Current Game: KotOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLancelot
Karen Traviss has a second Republic Commando novel coming out in early 2006, called Triple Zero. I'm hopeful this will give us a sequel.
I e-mailed her a while ago and she said her new book is in no way associated with a sequel to RC. She's just creating it for fun, not because she wants to tie it into a sequel.

Joetheeskimo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 08:28 PM   #7
SirLancelot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 253
I see. Well, hopefully we can get a sequel in the next year. the Clone Wars has so much content to work with.


Darasuum Kote (Mandalorian for Eternal Glory)
-Motto of the Clone Army

http://www.imperialcommandos.com/main.htm
http://www.clonetroopers.net/
SirLancelot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2005, 08:47 PM   #8
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLancelot
I see. Well, hopefully we can get a sequel in the next year. the Clone Wars has so much content to work with.
Well, when Republic Commando ends, the Clone Wars are just a few hours away from ending too. A sequel would have to be based on new material, probably with Delta Squad adapting to the transition from Republic to Empire, coping with the loss of Sev, and... you guessed it... hunting Jedi. Of course, there's plenty of potential with a storyline such as that, it's just that a sequel wouldn't be based on the Clone Wars like the first one.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2005, 08:01 AM   #9
Joetheeskimo
Statusless
 
Joetheeskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,923
Current Game: KotOR
Why not? It takes place days after Episode 2, not days before Episode 3.

Joetheeskimo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2005, 08:53 AM   #10
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetheeskimo5
Why not? It takes place days after Episode 2, not days before Episode 3.
The game ends with the Republic fleet arriving at Kashyyyk, which takes place DURING Episode 3.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,329
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Then again, they could easily retread the same or similar material in a sequel if they wanted to. Many "sequels" (both movies and games) have done that. A recent example is Doom3. Or Battlefront II...

But so soon after this one? Doesn't seem too likely as there's been no accouncement thus far. If anything I'd love to see a Multiplayer focused expansion (even if they were to call it "Republic Commando 2" purely to increase sales). But we know nothing, so it's all wishful thinking and speculation...

It's notable that RC marked the completion of the last game started under former LucasArts President Simon Jeffrey (who resigned to spend more time with his family)... the other games all having been released or cancelled. Perhaps the new management doesn't want to throw any more money at it, seeing it as a dead end? Who knows.


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #12
Joetheeskimo
Statusless
 
Joetheeskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,923
Current Game: KotOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
The game ends with the Republic fleet arriving at Kashyyyk, which takes place DURING Episode 3.
Aaah..

Well that sucks. I don't really want to play a game in which you sneak up from behind Jedi and murder them.

Joetheeskimo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #13
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
I'd love to see a RP sequel, i thought the first one was highly underrated and possibly one of the most fun FPS' of the year. The game felt like a starwars version of Halo 2 but with an awesomely simply and easy to use squad control system.

What i reckon would be an awesome idea for the sequel would be, the squad, because of their bond with each other and their individuality from the rest of the clones, reject orders to leave sev and they go back for him, and the first few levels could be saving private sev, and while they've rejected orders and gone to save sev, order 66 is given, so the squad is out of contact when the order is given, and you're on the other side of the coin, and maybe get attacked by a jedi thinking ur gonna kill him, and your squad kills him in self defence, or you stun him and explain the situation then help him escape, the game could turn into like Rebel Commando or something, i personally think that would be sick. I prefer to keep the commando's on the side of good, because they were memorable and cool characters who would be an awesome asset to the light side.

I reckon this idea would be the perfect template for an RP sequel, and with a couple of gameplay updates (new weapons/locations), it could have an awesome story to back up the game, could make a classic. I can see some seriously awesome scenarios coming out of this, like jedi rescue missions, fighting along side jedi, an SWIV style bit where you're pretending you've got a jedi captured, fooling the clones then all hell breaks loose, stuff like that. I reckon clone commandos versus clones would be sick, maybe a bunch of jedi are surrounded and you have to hijack a drop ship and zip line down to their rescue, stuff like that would be the bomb i reckon.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2005, 02:06 PM   #14
Joetheeskimo
Statusless
 
Joetheeskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,923
Current Game: KotOR
Awesome! That's actually an extremely good idea for a sequel. *Applause*


...Although I highly doubt LA would go for something that cool - if they even release a sequel.

Joetheeskimo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2005, 11:22 PM   #15
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
thanks joe. We can only hope lucasarts decide to take the chance at a sequel, the first was great imo.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2005, 08:09 AM   #16
Joetheeskimo
Statusless
 
Joetheeskimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,923
Current Game: KotOR
I'd also like some improvements to MP; MP is what keeps a game alive after everybody has finished the SP side.
We should be able to play droids and geonosians along with clones and trandoshans. I don't see why they didn't add those two factions in the first place...

Joetheeskimo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2005, 09:19 AM   #17
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
yeah and scenario maps like objectives and stuff, so perfect for a commando oriented game.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #18
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,329
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Well you could always make some addon maps, but I take it the tools are pretty limited as far as creating brand new content is concerned... am I right?


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #19
The Eyes
Rookie
 
The Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 51
Maybe The Commandos could be launched off To A planet weve never heard of only to find out its Taris (KOTOR) And fight off Crazed Savages and Rakghouls? (hey, this tie-in might be cool) And They have to find a way to communicate with their Commanders to get off.


Do not underestimate the power of a small post count.
The Eyes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #20
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
regardless of the fact that Taris was totally flattened, i dont think that's a great idea. It wouldn't make any sense. Better to keep the commandos close to film settings, regurgitating settings from other games would suck a bit.

I reckon they should expand the gameplay a bit tho, atm its pretty much a balls to wall action game, but i reckon non linear playing like being able to sneak past, ambush, or any number of other things would be a cool implementation to the game. however, i do NOT think that they should throw in half assed "steath segments" like so many stupid games do to seem diverse and end up just remaining linear and crap. The player should have a choice of how to approach a situation. I think expanding the gameplay would make squad control more interesting too because you could make different characters better at different things, making for far more interesting gameplay
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2005, 04:31 PM   #21
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite
 
Igor_Cavkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 621
i think they should move on to Imperial Commando.. and the first missions you could fight some rests of the CIS .. then hunt jedi and rebels.. would be nice! i would love a sequel!


SW Galaxies Online name: Cavkov
Server: Chimaera
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Guild: DOS - Dark Order of the Sith

If you only knew the power of the darkside!
Igor_Cavkov is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #22
Kel Niun
Lurker
 
Kel Niun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lately from Ireland now in the USA
Posts: 5
I think a sequel is in order too. its a great game
Kel Niun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 07:53 AM   #23
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_Cavkov
i think they should move on to Imperial Commando.. and the first missions you could fight some rests of the CIS .. then hunt jedi and rebels.. would be nice! i would love a sequel!
i reckon "imperial commando" would be unimaginative. Sorry but i stick by my idea of keeping the commandos on the side of good.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #24
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria
 
MachineCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Disneyland?
Posts: 2,657
How about, Rogue Commando, fighting with the Rebels and Bothan Spies...
They might be able to fit another game before the end of the Clone Wars?



"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 07:14 PM   #25
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
How about, Rogue Commando, fighting with the Rebels and Bothan Spies...
They might be able to fit another game before the end of the Clone Wars?
No.

You should play as Delta Squad in the sequel.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 07:25 PM   #26
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
yeah, the game is about delta squad, you can't change that. Especially when they left it open for a sequel by leaving sev behind.

They set it up perfectly for the squad to defy orders and save him, and insodoing miss the activation of order 66. If they made a game where delta squad were pro empire id be pissed off, mostly because they're not just faceless soldiers (despite the fact that they are clones), they actually have some personality to them.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #27
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria
 
MachineCult's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Disneyland?
Posts: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
No.

You should play as Delta Squad in the sequel.
I suggested that they could probably fit another game between the end of Republic Commando and the end of the Clone Wars.
I never said that you wouldn't play as delta squad, even when I said Rogue Commando, ROGUE, defected from the Empire. They'd probably be too old though.

Try reading a post properly before replying.



"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #28
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
read my first reply to this thread machinecult, its my idea for how they could make a "rogue commando" work story wise.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #29
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
They set it up perfectly for the squad to defy orders and save him, and insodoing miss the activation of order 66. If they made a game where delta squad were pro empire id be pissed off, mostly because they're not just faceless soldiers (despite the fact that they are clones), they actually have some personality to them.
Except they didn't defy the orders. Neither did they rebel against the Empire. None of the clones did. The Clone Commandos were genetically modified for lower independence and increased loyalty exactly like the regular Clone Troopers, therefore it is genetically-impossible for them to defy or defect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
I never said that you wouldn't play as delta squad, even when I said Rogue Commando, ROGUE, defected from the Empire.
Except Delta Squad didn't defect, so a "Rogue Commando" game could not have you play as the clones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
Try reading a post properly before replying.
I did. It appears you do not fully understand the way the clones react to orders (watch AotC again during the Kamino scenes).
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #30
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Except they didn't defy the orders. Neither did they rebel against the Empire. None of the clones did. The Clone Commandos were genetically modified for lower independence and increased loyalty exactly like the regular Clone Troopers, therefore it is genetically-impossible for them to defy or defect.
You don't know that, the game ends with them in a dropship and arguing over whether they should go back for him. The point of the commandos is that they trained together seperately, meaning they have a fraternal bond with each other that the others dont have, its entirely possible that they would defy orders for the sake of one of them. "genetically-impossible"? please, what do you know about whats "genetically-possible", dont throw phrases like that in to sound like you know what ur talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Except Delta Squad didn't defect, so a "Rogue Commando" game could not have you play as the clones.
again, you dont know that, the game ends b4 order 66 is given, we dont know what happens to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I did. It appears you do not fully understand the way the clones react to orders (watch AotC again during the Kamino scenes).
again, the point of the game is that the commandos are different and better, they've been trained differently in a different environment. They aren't the same as normal clones otherwise it wouldnt be "republic commando" it would be "republic trooper"
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #31
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
You don't know that, the game ends with them in a dropship and arguing over whether they should go back for him. The point of the commandos is that they trained together seperately, meaning they have a fraternal bond with each other that the others dont have, its entirely possible that they would defy orders for the sake of one of them. "genetically-impossible"? please, what do you know about whats "genetically-possible", dont throw phrases like that in to sound like you know what ur talking about.
I thought the meaning of "genetically-impossible" would be self-explanatory. Something is impossible due to limitations through genetics. How can you not have figured that out yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
again, you dont know that, the game ends b4 order 66 is given, we dont know what happens to them.
According to AotC, they follow the orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
again, the point of the game is that the commandos are different and better, they've been trained differently in a different environment. They aren't the same as normal clones otherwise it wouldnt be "republic commando" it would be "republic trooper"
Cody and Bly are different and better, trained differently in a different environment, and yet they follow orders to kill their friends and do so without question or hesitation. Why is it so hard for the commandos to follow orders with the exact same genetic modifications and all?
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #32
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I thought the meaning of "genetically-impossible" would be self-explanatory. Something is impossible due to limitations through genetics. How can you not have figured that out yourself...
who said anything about not understanding the term. The point is you dont know anything about "genetic limitations". You're trying to rationalise an argument using a meger attempt to deem something scientifically impossible when A: the whole thing is fiction, and B: you dont know anything about the science so you might as well say elvis isnt dead, hes the leader of an alien invasion force who are planning to conquer earth and it would have just about as much credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
Originally Posted by Manny C
again, you dont know that, the game ends b4 order 66 is given, we dont know what happens to them.

According to AotC, they follow the orders.
id take your comment at face value but there are some problems that prevent me from doing so. Firstly, they dont mention the clone commandos AT ALL in ANY of the movies. Secondly, AotC happens BEFORE Republic Commando, so how can they say that the commandos followed order 66 in AotC when it hasnt even happened yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Cody and Bly are different and better, trained differently in a different environment, and yet they follow orders to kill their friends and do so without question or hesitation. Why is it so hard for the commandos to follow orders with the exact same genetic modifications and all?
How can they follow the order if they don't hear it? My idea is that the commandos go back to save sev because of their fraternal bond, putting them out of contact with command, therefore, when order 66 is given they dont hear it so they dont start killing jedi. Really isnt that hard to understand, mate.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #33
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
who said anything about not understanding the term. The point is you dont know anything about "genetic limitations". You're trying to rationalise an argument using a meger attempt to deem something scientifically impossible when A: the whole thing is fiction, and B: you dont know anything about the science so you might as well say elvis isnt dead, hes the leader of an alien invasion force who are planning to conquer earth and it would have just about as much credibility.
If the whole thing is fiction then why don't we just have Delta Squad turn into birds and fly away into the forests of Kashyyyk and live happily ever after? That sounds AWESOME.

But sadly, there are limits even to Star Wars. And some of those limitations are genetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
id take your comment at face value but there are some problems that prevent me from doing so. Firstly, they dont mention the clone commandos AT ALL in ANY of the movies. Secondly, AotC happens BEFORE Republic Commando, so how can they say that the commandos followed order 66 in AotC when it hasnt even happened yet.
When they're talking about the clones that includes the commandos, as they have been modified exactly the same as the grunt troops.

Oh yeah... "I have five special commando units awaiting your orders." That's what a commander said to Mace Windu in AotC. So you're wrong that they don't mention the commandos.

Also, you're wrong that AotC happens before Republic Commando. The very beginning of Republic Commando has you as a fetus, which would be ten years before AotC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
How can they follow the order if they don't hear it? My idea is that the commandos go back to save sev because of their fraternal bond, order 66 is given and they dont hear it therefore they dont start killing jedi.
There are comlinks in their helmets.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #34
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
If the whole thing is fiction then why don't we just have Delta Squad turn into birds and fly away into the forests of Kashyyyk and live happily ever after?
because that's stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
But sadly, there are limits even to Star Wars. And some of those limitations are genetic.
The clones have been modified, yes, but they're not completely dependant on orders otherwise they'd be useless soldiers. Secondly, there are things that could easily be used as plot devices to get around your "genetic limitations", such as the strength of a family like bond that the commandos do share (says so in the game and the website).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
When they're talking about the clones that includes the commandos, as they have been modified exactly the same as the grunt troops.
they havent been trained the same, they dont have the same values, tactics or relationship with fellow troops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Oh yeah... "I have five special commando units awaiting your orders." That's what a commander said to Mace Windu in AotC. So you're wrong that they don't mention the commandos.
be that as it may, it doesnt really prove anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Also, you're wrong that AotC happens before Republic Commando. The very beginning of Republic Commando has you as a fetus, which would be ten years before AotC.
republic commando starts as AotC ends. And you've still missed the whole point. The point is that i stated, no where does anyone say that the commandos followed order 66. to which you replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
According to AotC, they follow the orders.
AotC happened years before order 66 was given, how the hell could AotC say that the commandos followed order 66 if it isnt going to happen for a good couple of years! jesus this is like arguing with a wet rag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
There are comlinks in their helmets.
have you even read my first reply? Here's how it works, the deltas decide, out of caring for their "brother" Sev, that they are going to go back and rescue him, thereby defying orders. So they cut communications with command and go back to save him. MEANWHILE, order 66 is given, jedi are being killed everywhere and the deltas are none the wiser as they are busy saving sev. Therefore, they DONT hear the order and they dont start killing jedi, so they STAY GOOD. it really is not that complicated.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #35
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
because that's stupid.
So is having rogue clones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
The clones have been modified, yes, but they're not completely dependant on orders otherwise they'd be useless soldiers. Secondly, there are things that could easily be used as plot devices to get around your "genetic limitations", such as the strength of a family like bond that the commandos do share (says so in the game and the website).
Not dependent on orders entirely, but they obey any orders as said in AotC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
they havent been trained the same, they dont have the same values, tactics or relationship with fellow troops.
I said they are modified the same, not trained. They are trained differently, yes, but so are Cody and Bly, and yet they murder their friends just because they were ordered to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
be that as it may, it doesnt really prove anything.
I just wanted to correct you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
republic commando starts as AotC ends. And you've still missed the whole point. The point is that i stated, no where does anyone say that the commandos followed order 66. to which you replied:
Wrong, it starts TEN YEARS BEFORE. Remember, you start out as a fetus in the very beginning?

And it doesn't need to say that they followed Order 66. Both AotC and RotS establish that the clones obeyed their orders. Don't contradict the highest source of canon, George Lucas's own films.

There actually WAS a "sequel" to Republic Commando. There was "Republic Commando: Order 66" made for mobile phones where you play as Delta Squad hunting down Jedi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
AotC happened years before order 66 was given, how the hell could AotC say that the commandos followed order 66 if it isnt going to happen for a good couple of years! jesus this is like arguing with a wet rag.
"They are totally obedient, following any order about question." - Lama Su in AotC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
have you even read my first reply? Here's how it works, the deltas decide, out of caring for their "brother" Sev, that they are going to go back and rescue him, thereby defying orders. So they cut communications with command and go back to save him. MEANWHILE, order 66 is given, jedi are being killed everywhere and the deltas are none the wiser as they are busy saving sev. Therefore, they DONT hear the order and they dont start killing jedi, so they STAY GOOD. it really is not that complicated.
Yes I did read your post, but it contradicts the ending to Republic Commando. Watch the ending again. They board the gunship and leave without Sev.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #36
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
So is having rogue clones.
matter of opinion. Personally i would rather an interesting, detailed story than "you are an imperial commando, kill jedi" to me thats flat, boring, and a one way ticket to another uninspired run of the mill FPS like the rest of the trash that clogs the shelves these days. Republic Commando wasn't that successful, the level design was reasonable, if a bit linear and there wasnt much of a story, but the game mechanics were good fun and so were the characters. By creating "imperial commando" you eliminate the way in which the player relates to the characters, thereby destroying one of the only parts of the first that was good. Think both logically and creatively, imperial commando is a BAD idea. So to me, "imperial commando" is stupid in every respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Not dependent on orders entirely, but they obey any orders as said in AotC.


I said they are modified the same, not trained. They are trained differently, yes, but so are Cody and Bly, and yet they murder their friends just because they were ordered to.
no, order 66 is a special behavioural trigger that was programmed into their brains, it wasnt the same as a simple order. A fairly easy mistake to make but a critical one nonetheless. The way you see it, if a commanding officer orders a clone to do absolutely anything, they'll do it. Which is completely stupid and they'd never do it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Wrong, it starts TEN YEARS BEFORE. Remember, you start out as a fetus in the very beginning?
oh my god that has to be the most pointless thing you could say. Firstly, thats a cutscene so technically the "game" doesnt start till geonosis, and secondly its completely irrelevant whether theres a cutscene that starts before the movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
And it doesn't need to say that they followed Order 66. Both AotC and RotS establish that the clones obeyed their orders. Don't contradict the highest source of canon, George Lucas's own films.

"They are totally obedient, following any order about question." - Lama Su in AotC
you've still got the movie mixed up, its not your fault if you couldnt understand it properly. Yes, the movies establish that normal CLONE TROOPERS are totally obedient and follow orders. But the GAME also establishes that the clone commandos are NOT your average clones. It also establishes how important each of delta squad are to each other, and also the fact that each one has his own personality adopted from their personal trainers, ie they are NOT faceless troopers blindly following any order they are given. In fact, the idea to give each commando a different colour scheme was GEORGE LUCAS' idea, as he wanted to establish that each of the commandos are unique and have their own personality. So if anything "the highest source of canon, George Lucas" supports the idea that the clone commandos have their own unique personalities and independant thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
There actually WAS a "sequel" to Republic Commando. There was "Republic Commando: Order 66" made for mobile phones where you play as Delta Squad hunting down Jedi.
gee, i wonder why ive never heard of it.

[EDIT] i just looked it up, and you dont actually play as delta squad in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Yes I did read your post, but it contradicts the ending to Republic Commando. Watch the ending again. They board the gunship and leave without Sev.
you dont see them leave the planet, they could easily turn the dropship around. Definately an easily avoidable point that can be avoided in order to have a half decent plot. Why the hell are people so hell bent on having crap games? imperial commando would be crap, i certainly wouldnt buy it, it would completely contradict everything that the game establishes about the commandos.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 PM   #37
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
matter of opinion. Personally i would rather an interesting, detailed story than "you are an imperial commando, kill jedi" to me thats flat, boring, and a one way ticket to another uninspired run of the mill FPS like the rest of the trash that clogs the shelves these days. Republic Commando wasn't that successful, the level design was reasonable, if a bit linear and there wasnt much of a story, but the game mechanics were good fun and so were the characters. By creating "imperial commando" you eliminate the way in which the player relates to the characters, thereby destroying one of the only parts of the first that was good. Think both logically and creatively, imperial commando is a BAD idea. So to me, "imperial commando" is stupid in every respect.
"You are a Republic Commando, shoot droids."

Why would "Imperial Commando" have to be limited to Jedi? No love for killing Rebels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
no, order 66 is a special behavioural trigger that was programmed into their brains, it wasnt the same as a simple order. A fairly easy mistake to make but a critical one nonetheless. The way you see it, if a commanding officer orders a clone to do absolutely anything, they'll do it. Which is completely stupid and they'd never do it.
Wrong again.

From SW Insider article "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic":

Quote:
Records salvaged from Kamino show that no genetic coding was used to implant obedience to this order. The efficiency with which this order was carried out was due to a genetic predisposition to be highly disciplined - and so to follow orders - that was developed and reinforced by rigorous training.

The clones were trained to put their personal feelings, fears, and needs aside and to obey their superiors instantly - training familiar to soldiers throughout history. That made them the most efficient army in the galaxy. Ironically, it sealed the fate of their Jedi commanders.
So no, it was not a programmed order. It was just an order like any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
oh my god that has to be the most pointless thing you could say. Firstly, thats a cutscene so technically the "game" doesnt start till geonosis, and secondly its completely irrelevant whether theres a cutscene that starts before the movies.
I just wanted to correct you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
you've still got the movie mixed up, its not your fault if you couldnt understand it properly. Yes, the movies establish that normal CLONE TROOPERS are totally obedient and follow orders. But the GAME also establishes that the clone commandos are NOT your average clones. It also establishes how important each of delta squad are to each other, and also the fact that each one has his own personality adopted from their personal trainers, ie they are NOT faceless troopers blindly following any order they are given. In fact, the idea to give each commando a different colour scheme was GEORGE LUCAS' idea, as he wanted to establish that each of the commandos are unique and have their own personality. So if anything "the highest source of canon, George Lucas" supports the idea that the clone commandos have their own unique personalities and independant thought.
So I guess Cody and Bly didn't obey their orders either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
gee, i wonder why ive never heard of it.
http://wireless.ign.com/objects/739/739457.html

My bad, turns out it wasn't Delta Squad, but more just Republic Commandos who were issued Order 66 and proceed to hunt down Jedi as ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
you dont see them leave the planet, they could easily turn the dropship around. Definately an easily avoidable point that can be avoided in order to have a half decent plot. Why the hell are people so hell bent on having crap games? imperial commando would be crap, i certainly wouldnt buy it, it would completely contradict everything that the game establishes about the commandos.
So let me get this straight: even though they already agreed to obey the orders, all of a sudden, they rip open the doors of the gunship, drop 500 feet into the forest below, then fight their way back into the city to rescue Sev. Then they go fight for the Rebellion because they hate the Republic so much.

Yeah, that makes sense...
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 11:29 PM   #38
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
"You are a Republic Commando, shoot droids."

Why would "Imperial Commando" have to be limited to Jedi? No love for killing Rebels?
probably because the rebellion hadnt been founded yet.
Also ur not proving anything with that first comment, i already said it didnt have much of a story.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
So no, it was not a programmed order. It was just an order like any other.
which makes it all more plausible that the deltas could stay good should they be out of contact when the order is given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I just wanted to correct you.
bad rhetoric, mate. Makes it look like u cant stay on topic or you dont have a clear idea of what the topic is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
So I guess Cody and Bly didn't obey their orders either?
its all circumstances, they followed the order because they were there to hear it, the same thing would happen with the deltas. My idea is to use something called "decent writing", ie use of things like "plot devices" and "constructed circumstance" in order to keep the "protagonists" on the side of good. If im going too fast let me know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
So let me get this straight: even though they already agreed to obey the orders, all of a sudden, they rip open the doors of the gunship, drop 500 feet into the forest below, then fight their way back into the city to rescue Sev. Then they go fight for the Rebellion because they hate the Republic so much.

Yeah, that makes sense...
watch the scene again, the characters are conflicted about the decision, there isnt a resolution at the end of the game, its left OPEN, something that writers do so that it's possible to continue the story should they decide to make a sequel. Its really not that difficult. 38, the commander, is conflicted about the decision, and his sense of comradery and leader's kinship with his troops overrides his loyalty and he tells the pilot "take us back down" and the pilot, being a regular clone trooper given an order by a superior officer, does so. Advisor comes in the comlink "38, im reading that your dropship is returning to the surface, what are you doing?" 38 turns OFF his commlink. Scorch, the most independant seeming, does the same, and 40, who is still conflicted, but still follows the squad, does too. As they are landing, a loose anti air shot hits the dropship and it crashes. The game starts, and you take control of 38, who recomposes himself, and the first part of the level would be getting used to the controls and finding scorch and fixer, much like in the first game. From there, they need to find a command console to find anything about sev on the database, and pinpoint his location.

At this point, the game is set up for a level that involves fighting through kashyyyk and finding sev. DURING WHICH TIME order 66 is given around the galaxies, while the deltas are out of contact, and thus do not receive the order. This is a possible way in which THOUGHT OUT scripting can properly get around all of your easily avoidable issues by using plot devices, setting up the game for a compelling, and enjoyable story in which the protagonists REMAIN protagonists and don't turn to the empire, and thus the dark side.

if that's too complicated for you then maybe the gaming industry is doomed to mindless shooters with no decent plot progression or unique likable characters.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2005, 11:43 PM   #39
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
probably because the rebellion hadnt been founded yet.
Also ur not proving anything with that first comment, i already said it didnt have much of a story.
Not just the Rebels from the OT. There's plenty of other scum and villainy in the galaxy. Take me, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
which makes it all more plausible that the deltas could stay good should they be out of contact when the order is given.
No, because they were genetically-modified for absolute loyalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
bad rhetoric, mate. Makes it look like u cant stay on topic or you dont have a clear idea of what the topic is.
Okay so you can say things that are false, and if I correct you then I look like a fool? Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
its all circumstances, they followed the order because they were there to hear it, the same thing would happen with the deltas. My idea is to use something called "decent writing", ie use of things like "plot devices" and "constructed circumstance" in order to keep the "protagonists" on the side of good. If im going too fast let me know.
I like having my intelligence insulted. Feel free to continue insulting. I like it and it makes you look way better than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
watch the scene again, the characters are conflicted about the decision, there isnt a resolution at the end of the game, its left OPEN, something that writers do so that it's possible to continue the story should they decide to make a sequel. Its really not that difficult. 38, the commander, is conflicted about the decision, and his sense of comradery and leader's kinship with his troops overrides his loyalty and he tells the pilot "take us back down" and the pilot, being a regular clone trooper given an order by a superior officer, does so. Advisor comes in the comlink "38, im reading that your dropship is returning to the surface, what are you doing?" 38 turns OFF his commlink. Scorch, the most independant seeming, does the same, and 40, who is still conflicted, but still follows the squad, does too. As they are landing, a loose anti air shot hits the dropship and it crashes. The game starts, and you take control of 38, who recomposes himself, and the first part of the level would be getting used to the controls and finding scorch and fixer, much like in the first game. From there, they need to find a command console to find anything about sev on the database, and pinpoint his location.

At this point, the game is set up for a level that involves fighting through kashyyyk and finding sev. DURING WHICH TIME order 66 is given around the galaxies, while the deltas are out of contact, and thus do not receive the order. This is a possible way in which THOUGHT OUT scripting can properly get around all of your easily avoidable issues by using plot devices, setting up the game for a compelling, and enjoyable story in which the protagonists REMAIN protagonists and don't turn to the empire, and thus the dark side.
This is a nice idea, but is still not plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny C
if that's too complicated for you then maybe the gaming industry is doomed to mindless shooters with no decent plot progression or unique likable characters.
Last time I checked I wasn't a game developer.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-14-2005, 12:23 AM   #40
Manny C
 
Manny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Australia: the Tatooine of the real world
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
No, because they were genetically-modified for absolute loyalty.
Thats just the thing, the deltas are not absolutely loyal, a whole concept with the game that makes the deltas heroes is how they are different through experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer's Notes (RC website)
But in the end, who wants to play a bunch of guys who all sound, look, and act the same? One of the best parts of being in a team is the personalities of your brothers. So later than we'd like, we shifted gears (with some good suggestions from Mr. Lucas) and it ended up being the right move. Now we have a great combination of 'new clone' and 'motley crew'. Having trained together from birth on Kamino, each member of the squad starts to form their personality much like humans do, right out of the gates.
The whole idea of the deltas is that they are unique and NOT bland order following soldiers, just like the designer's notes say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Okay so you can say things that are false, and if I correct you then I look like a fool? Got it.
yep. I dont consider being corrected for not reading "star wars insider" or knowing the Star Wars timeline off by heart that bad. And in doing so, you get off topic, make irrelevant points and generally weaken your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
I like having my intelligence insulted. Feel free to continue insulting. I like it and it makes you look way better than me.
im not trying to offend you, im trying to make a point that we should avoid the attitude that a decent story and potentially memorable game should be forfeit because starwars insider says they would follow orders, instead, lets make another bland, uninteresting FPS depending entirely on the gameplay mechanics of the first, which were barely enough to keep the game afloat to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
This is a nice idea, but is still not plausible.
Why isnt it plausible? it isnt enough to just say "its not plausible". There's nothing that prevents this idea from being used. The deltas are NOT faceless grunts who follow all orders, the designer of the game and george lucas himself established that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Last time I checked I wasn't a game developer.
no, but the more consumers, like yourself, who push for games without a decent story, the more game publishers will push them out because they assume thats what will sell.

Last edited by Manny C; 12-14-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Manny C is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > RepublicCommando.Net > General Discussion > Reporting for Duty > Sequel?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.