lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Most touching moment in Grim Fandango
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-16-2006, 07:20 AM   #41
Shuz

Haha, but I understand what you mean.
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #42
Tooner Fish

Gosh there were so many moments and it's been a while since I played GF. I'll have to pull it out again and get back to you with an answer.

But I remember the best feeling for me was when I got to the end of the world and found out I had to go back and stop Hector. For me it was "Yes! The fun isn't over YET!" Probably becuase I was expecting it to be over when I got to the end of the world.

And it was cool to see the changes at locations as I went back.

That must have been at the start of year four. Did anyone else feel that way?

Tooner Fish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #43
pichonCalavera
Lurker

So many great moments and memories from this game.

The most touching moment would be in the end, where you see manny and meche kissing and that nostalgic music is playing in the background and you see the train dissapeering into the temple.

The Manny & Meche music at the credits it's another one where you feel a sour troat...

But the moment I most remember is when I was playing the demo that i got from "PC Magazine en Espaņol" back in 1999 and I saw those skeleton pigeons and your mission was to get eggs from them.... just brilliant and original. After completing the demo i needed to get this game immediately!!
pichonCalavera is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2006, 07:34 PM   #44
Fawfulfury777
Rookie

The most stirring moment was when Velasco set out to find the Lamancha in Puerto Zapato. I thought it was captivating how one man waited for so long, just to return to his true love, and how one man's bond with the sea would keep him from traveling to Ninth Heaven.

While other men in the Land of the dead stayed out of fear, Velasco stayed out of love, and would travel any distance just to return to the ocean he revered. THAT makes him a true hero.

Also, I'd like to give a nod to Membrillo's infamous quote, which managed to show that even in negativity, the human soul is inspired.

"We may have years
We may have hours
But sooner or later
We push up flowers"

Finally, I thought that Raoul was incredibly disheartening when he got locked in the cupboard. I actually felt sadder then, than when Lola Died (meh). He was such a figure of authority and power, only to be reduced to a groveling child at the onset of his primal fear. Poor Raoul...

Hail to the Critic
Fawfulfury777 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #45
Tooner Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawfulfury777
He was such a figure of authority and power, only to be reduced to a groveling child at the onset of his primal fear. Poor Raoul...
"oh Raoul, I'm so very sorry." (Manny says something like that when he's locked in a vault, hehe)

Tooner Fish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2006, 01:05 AM   #46
VampireNaomi
was a dog in earlier life

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Finally, I thought that Raoul was incredibly disheartening when he got locked in the cupboard. I actually felt sadder then, than when Lola Died (meh). He was such a figure of authority and power, only to be reduced to a groveling child at the onset of his primal fear. Poor Raoul...
You know, I think I'm going to like you. Great sense of humour and a brilliant avatar.

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Sweet As Mango: Nick/Olivia all the way!
VampireNaomi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #47
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Eh i liked how when you got a cat from the clown in year one manny would say: its a squeaky little kitty. And when you would run past eva with it in your pocket you would make a squeak sound and she would say: what is that horrible squeaking noise your making. Then manny would say: new shoes

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2006, 05:06 AM   #48
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
Did you post in the wrong thread or do you really think squeaking is touching?

"Oho, my sainted aunt, have I become a victim of brain fever, the curse of academia...?" -- Jonathan Crane

Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #49
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
No i think its good because that was highly orriginal part. Because I have never seen something like that. I also have another touching moment. was when I saw the mariatchi band again.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #50
liloiky
Lurker

Deffinately Lola's death scene. Iy's so sad. And Chepito going on to the 9th underworld.
I also liked the way the slowly showed Manny's realisation that he's in love with Meche. It' starts with Salvadore asking him if he loves her, and he says 'love? love is for the living', but then by year 3 he realises the truth. I love that scene when he says that he needed to find her. So sweet!
liloiky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #51
Frenkieee
Rookie

Quote:
Also, I'd like to give a nod to Membrillo's infamous quote, which managed to show that even in negativity, the human soul is inspired.

"We may have years
We may have hours
But sooner or later
We push up flowers"
You know, I've used this quote every time I was asked for my motto of life (or whatever that's called in English).

My most emotional moments was when Glottis and Manny said goodbye to eachother, as well as the moment the whole game ended. I often listen to all my GF songs and get the chills from my memories of this great, great game.
Frenkieee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 AM   #52
Yohein
Rookie

The great thing about Manny and Glottis goodbye is that they managed to do it really emotional but not "pretentious". It's a perfect combination of the humor of both characters and emotion.
Yohein is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #53
King Dando
Forumite

I was touched by the whole ending of GF, when Chepito walks though the tunnel to the ninth underworld, when Manny and Glottis both say goodbye, it also occured to me that the game was over, that was so sad

King Dando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2006, 01:39 AM   #54
Nick Virago

Well, I can't think of a touching moment thoughout the game, the ending, on the other hand... I just sat there in front of the screen and I couldn't believe the game was over, lol.
Nick Virago is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #55
Quoththeraven
Rookie

The most touching bit for me is the bit right after Chepito goes through, when you can walk Manny right up to the entrance to th ninth underworld, and he says somthing like this:
"I could actully do it. I could walk right through to the ninth underworld, and not look back. But, no. I can't do it. I'm not leaving without all those souls I promised to save"

I think it just sums up manny perfectly.

And of course, "Love Is For the Living" allways makes me sigh. it's so... sad. like the bit when you walk under the blimp, and press "use" and manny says, "it only goes to the land of the living,and there's nothing for me there" They really make you make you think about Manny, and his life.
Quoththeraven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #56
Smon
Bizarro

Current Game: Mega Man
Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
The final scene with Domino really got to me, the fact that Manny will risk everything for a few people that never even told him their last names. Also the eerieness of Domino being trapped for eternity as fish food (I don't think the dead die... they're just imprisoned in their own bodies) in some monsters' guts really freaked me out... like that episode of the Superman cartoon where Metallo was trapped in lava. Just so... calm... quiet... eternal.

I'm done putting links in my signature because every time I do it just links to some old crap I've long since stopped updating.
Smon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #57
Du Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smon
The final scene with Domino really got to me, the fact that Manny will risk everything for a few people that never even told him their last names. Also the eerieness of Domino being trapped for eternity as fish food (I don't think the dead die... they're just imprisoned in their own bodies) in some monsters' guts really freaked me out... like that episode of the Superman cartoon where Metallo was trapped in lava. Just so... calm... quiet... eternal.

Yeah I always wondered, if your bones get grounded up, do you sprout? If not, what happens to you? I always thought people that got sprouted would get automatically sent to the underworld, just in a very painful manner, put I'm not sure what happens if your bones get grounded up. Maybe you just make the trip to the underworld as a pile of dirt since everybody in the land of the dead dosn't have mucels.

any way, most touching moment...

it seems the consensus was the flower cutting scene at the end, when Manny actually used the scyth in the way it was designed. but for me...i would have to say the end of year one, when the sad whinning horn is playing while your down on your luck mopping the diner floor, waiting for something that probably won't show up anyway. If I ever get in a "dead end" job, i'll just think of that scene and the song that was playing. I mean it sounds depressing, but it also made it feel very...real. I felt it gave Manny a lot of "character," even though I'm still not quite sure what people mean by that word unless the mean the ability of someone to keep going during their troubles, even if they may always have troubles. It felt sad, peaceful, and yet normal all at once.
Du Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #58
coat check girl
Rookie

When Glottis hugs Manny and they all leave is the saddest scene for me.
For some reason Glottis's wiggiling ears also make me emotional.
coat check girl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2006, 10:17 AM   #59
Katrina Li
Lurker

I could never bear to look at the photo Lola leaves you. The music is just too sad! I think the part where Lola dies is very sad, as is the end when Manny says goodbye to Glottis, and Glottis and his new friends are waving to them. sob!
Katrina Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #60
Katrina Li
Lurker

When I first played the game when I was about 8 (eight years ago) I was pretty scared of the angel of death statue so always avoided going that way! The music from that part creeped me out as well!
Katrina Li is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #61
B.A.T.
Rookie

I'd say the most touching moment for me is when your having a chat with Membrillo and he says something like "its Death within Death" Also when Sal offers you into the LSA

"Who are you?" Manny
"I'm you. or at least i was you years ago" Sal
"yea well I'm me now so get lost" Manny

He tells you about the corruption and junk. When Sal dies too and also when Manny walks into his old office in El-Marrow with hector. Also when Manny gets shot and when Lola dies. At the end when the band is playing near the fountain and it resembles the figures and ash tray in the beginning. The worst part of finishing the game is that it was over.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION
B.A.T. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2006, 01:22 AM   #62
Tuetonic708
Rookie

Location: I live on a train and have a laptop, I use the train's comunications plugs as my Internet cable. Train Speed= Internet Connection Speed. I get food by Dominoes Pizza (or the conducter's lunch) My salary= passenger's wallets. To Be Con.
OHH YOU TOOK MINE!!!! anyway, i loved the ending part but it gave me this very depressing feeling when i finished, when glottis hugs manny, when i see the guitar guys playing by the fountain which indeed represents the ashtray in the beginning of the game, and when you seee the train leave and disappears into the darkness, and right before you anticipate the very last note of what the guitars are going to play the credits role and you hear the music you remember like an old lost friend the festival where everthing started (i'm tearing up just by typing this) I could never finish this game without crying, without thinking that "Paul, wake up, wake up, it's over"

iViva La Revolucion! -Salvador Limones
The Revolution Lives! -Salvador Lemons
Tuetonic708 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 PM   #63
Dunam
Lurker

Could someone please tell me, I must have missed it, when does Chepito go into the 9th underworld?
Dunam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #64
Shuz

right at the start of year 4, when you enter the gate to the ninth underworld for the first
Shuz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2007, 12:06 AM   #65
Dunam
Lurker

And I didn't even know you could go in there! Good thing I saw this forum.
Dunam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #66
SeaTurtle
Rookie

Lola's death is an incredibly powerful scene, but what I find more touching is afterwards when Toto talks about her. He calls her a sweet girl and says to Manny "tell her Papa Toto says hello".

When you find out what a lovely person she was it just makes her loss seem so much more significant.
SeaTurtle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #67
VampireNaomi

LFN Staff Member 
That's true, SeaTurtle. Another reason why it's so sad is that it's tragic how Toto is just casually talking about her, not knowing that she's gone. And Manny is all "Right...". It's just awful.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #68
gusjc
Rookie

Oh God..... I started to read the posts and I just couldn't help it, I started to cry :$
This amazing game, all these sad moments......
It's not just a game, it's way more than that. I will never forget that first time I played it.. That first time I saw the black screen with the credits moving and the music playing..... All the effort I made, all the moments of this game, the great fun and joy I felt playing, all that was over..
The story, the characters, everything made me love this game so much
I want Manny back, I want to visit Rubacava again.. I want Manny and Glottis to be together for the eternity.. I want to see how does the Ninth Underworld looks like!
How cool it would be if LA makes a sequel.. Of course, a good one.. One with all these beloved characters, an outsanding story..
I just can't explain with words all I feel when I play or even talk about this game..
I'm so happy knowing that I played the best game ever..
Anyway, show must go on.. And the only thing we can do, is keep playing this game until the cd burns and the files get so used they can been never read again!!
Oh, and yeah, btw :P ALL the moments you said before were really touching for me (I read everything).
I just have this feeling.. When I hear this poem, I feel like sad, like.. excited.. I feel something that's indescribable.. OK, read it and tell me if you feel the same specially the last 2 lines
With bony hands I hold my partner
On soulless feet we cross the floor
The music stops as if to answer
An empty knocking at the door
It seems his skin was sweet as mango
When last I held him to my breast
But now we dance this grim fandango
And will four years before we rest.
------
Oh and yes, Tim, I LOVE YOU!!!!!! THANKS FOR CREATING THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!! YOU WILL BE REMEMBERD FOR EVER AND EVER!!!!!!!!!
gusjc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #69
SeaTurtle
Rookie

I love that poem, too. I feel sad, but in a good way, if you know what I mean. Like you said, 20fox05, the feeling is indescribable.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:45 PM   #70
Colossal
Rookie

Glottis saying good bye to Manny at the end ...
Colossal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #71
stewlil
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal
Glottis saying good bye to Manny at the end ...
DEFINETLY

"There's nothing better than spitting in the face of someone that hands you an ultimatum." Deron Miller of cKy
stewlil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #72
VivaLaZak
Lurker

the thing that touched me is when Manny says "You never know whats at the end of the line so you should just enjoy the ride there" (or something to that effect)
VivaLaZak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #73
squiike
Rookie

where do i go or what do i do in the game to hear that poem?

as for me the only thing i remember really got to me, was when Manny returned to the start city and everything had changed. Darker, more corrupt and creepy: Mannis office, not anything like the old days...and the "Mannis back to straightn it up again" feeling
squiike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM   #74
SeaTurtle
Rookie

You mean this one:

You have to ask Olivia to read one of her poems. I don't think this is the first one she says, so you'll have to ask her more than once.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #75
Yosy
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTurtle
You mean this one:

You have to ask Olivia to read one of her poems. I don't think this is the first one she says, so you'll have to ask her more than once.
In fact, that's the last poem she sings - after that, if you ask her to sing more she starts from the top.

But if you show the "rusty anchor" paper to her she sings another poem.
Yosy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #76
Du Man

also for me, there was the part in the end where Manny just looks at Oliva and shakes his head. It was the only time in the game Manny wouldn't say anything.
Du Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #77
stewlil
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaTurtle
Lola's death is an incredibly powerful scene, but what I find more touching is afterwards when Toto talks about her. He calls her a sweet girl and says to Manny "tell her Papa Toto says hello".

When you find out what a lovely person she was it just makes her loss seem so much more significant.
I always thought he was her dad because of this bit lol

"There's nothing better than spitting in the face of someone that hands you an ultimatum." Deron Miller of cKy
stewlil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-28-2007, 02:10 AM   #78
mewster
Lurker

Most touching moment

Well, there are quite a few of them for me, of course. The one scene that really chokes me up, though, is when Domino is killed by the coral crusher, and Manny fears he's about to meet the same fate. He puts his hands up to cover his face so he doesn't have to witness the inevitable horror, when he is plucked from danger by Pugsey and Bibi, whom he himself had just saved from their own horrible fate.
Wonderful, wonderful stuff that gets to me every single time. Such amazing emotion conveyed without a word, or even a change of facial expression (which, as many here have noted, was also the case during the recovery of Salvadore's body).

Mew of the Skeleton Crew

Oh Manny... so cynical... What happened to you, Manny, that caused you to lose your sense of hope, your love of life?
Manuel Calavera: I died ...
mewster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #79
Ronny
Rookie

The ending is very sad. The fact that these two best friends will never see each other again. Plus, the realisation that Manny is leaving for good and there's no coming back. It's just such a powerful moment and I was actually speechless when the credits started to roll. I felt like applauding.

I also remember the train descending into hell and what really got me were the Gatekeepers words, something like "Your destiny cannot be purchased". There was no glory in it, just that eerie silence as all those people, some of whom you'd met, went to a very bad place indeed.
It was really quite striking.

Another rather touching moment, when I think about it, was the carnival for the Day of the Dead at the begining of the game. The whole art deco style, the floating balloons, the mural outside Manny's workplace. It was so placid and cosy that leaving it was really quite an unhappy moment. I only wish a place like that existed XD

Last edited by Ronny; 07-14-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Ronny is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Land of the Dead > Most touching moment in Grim Fandango