lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Penalties to LS double-bladed and DS dual blade
Yes 3 6.52%
No 43 93.48%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: LS Double-bladed and DS dual penalties?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
LS Double-bladed and DS dual penalties?

Let's settle this with a poll.

This is the idea posted by Darth Windu:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
- Impose LS/DS alignment modifiers on different types of Lightsabre much like the current system in use with Force powers, with positive or negative modifiers for attack strength and hit rating. Double-bladed sabres would give bonuses to DS characters, with negative modifiers for LS players. Two single-bladed lightsabres would have the same modifiers in reverse, giving bonuses for LS and negative modifiers for DS. Single-bladed lightsabres would have no modifiers.
To put it simply:

- Positive modifer for DS double-blade user
- Negative modifer for LS double-blade user
- Positive modifier for LS twin single-blade user
- Negative modifier for DS twin single-blade user

The question is is this a good idea for gameplay?

IMO, penalties are used as a deterrent. LS double-bladed users are now disadvantaged, which is unacceptable for myself since I am a LS double-bladed saber user.


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,355
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I don't like it. I voted NO.

It just doesn't really make any sense.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
ilwugoalie
Rookie
 
ilwugoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: this big swampy lookin planet
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I don't like it. I voted NO.

It just doesn't really make any sense.
I agree, if there is to be a penalty for using certain weapons, it needs to be a penalty against an individual who doesnt have teh skills. Not against them becasue they are light or dark.

With this Idea, the only person who ever would have had any bonus in the movies would have been Darth Maul.

Bad Idea


A Powerfull Sith you will become
ilwugoalie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion
 
Cygnus Q'ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bowerstone Market
Posts: 1,263
Current Game: liberty city stories
I'm having trouble understanding the point of this.
So then, all DS jedi will carry staffs and all LS Jedi will carry duals.

...and this makes it fun how?


.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
RobQel-Droma
Blah
 
RobQel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Up yours. X0
Posts: 2,216
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
^He is basing it on the movies, saying that you never see anybody but Sith (one) with saberstaffs, and only Jedi with dual.

You mostly all know what I am going to say if you have seen his thread: NO.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,355
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
THat's not true anyway. Bastilla has a souble-bladed saber, and Ventress uses dual sabers...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #7
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion
 
Cygnus Q'ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bowerstone Market
Posts: 1,263
Current Game: liberty city stories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
THat's not true anyway. Bastilla has a souble-bladed saber, and Ventress uses dual sabers...
I think he meant movies. Darth Maul in 'Menace', and Anakin in II and III.


.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
YertyL
Junior Member
 
YertyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 390
I do not believe this to be either "realistic" or practical, so a clear "No!" (besides I like being LS and using staff myself ).
However, maybe you could formulate the poll question a bit more neutrally .... "Do you want a lot of penalties?" asks for the answer "No" ...
YertyL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #9
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Voting no....
Hey, I'm (relatively) practical. I like having full upgrades in any saber. With double-bladed, you only have 1 set of upgrades for the 2 blades, dual you have 2 sets (1 for each LS). Nearly all my characters fight with dual instead of dbl-blade because of the upgrade bonuses with dual compared to dbl-blade. I wouldn't want to assign alignment penalties based on saber type. It's the character that's DS/LS, not the lightsaber. :-)


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #10
MdKnightR
Senior Member
 
MdKnightR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Feeling Hosed By Your Governme
Posts: 1,859
Nope! I have played lightside with a doublesaber before. I wouldn't want a penalty if I had the urge to do so again.

MdKnightR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
Darth333
Administraterror
 
Darth333's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
Posts: 8,295
Why would a non-evil character automatically suck with a double bladed saber? You don't need to be evil to learn how to use a staff. I don't see any logic in penalizing LS or DS users depending on whether they use double bladed or dual sabers. So no.

Also, since Kotor is a relatively short game, I don't see the point in adding too many penalties and such. It would be imposible for the player to change alignment and it would be annoying more than anything else.

Edit:typo

Last edited by Darth333; 12-15-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #12
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YertyL
I do not believe this to be either "realistic" or practical, so a clear "No!" (besides I like being LS and using staff myself ).
However, maybe you could formulate the poll question a bit more neutrally .... "Do you want a lot of penalties?" asks for the answer "No" ...
Yeah, perhaps I should have added the word "bonus" too, since it does involve ome bonuses, but that was made clear in the first post.


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #13
FiEND_138
..
 
FiEND_138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333
Why would a non-evil character automatically suck with a double blade saber? You don't need to be evil to learn how to use a staff. I don't see any logic in penalizing LS or DS users depending on whether they use double bladed or dual sabers. So no.
Nods head in agreement.

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 08:06 PM   #14
RobQel-Droma
Blah
 
RobQel-Droma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Up yours. X0
Posts: 2,216
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Wow. 16 to 2 votes. I'm so impressed that this even got more than one vote.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 08:33 PM   #15
Jeff
Rating: Awesome
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 8,433
Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I said No, because in that time period it is obvious that using a double-bladed saber was acceptable for Jedi, as the Jedi masters did it. And I think it would be silly for DS users to suffer for using 2 lightsabers, when it is more radical for LS users to do so.


Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-15-2005, 11:03 PM   #16
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,368
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I'm with the NO camp. I don't think I've ever played a character with a double-bladed lightsaber because that's not my weapon of choice. However I don't buy into the argument that a double-bladed lightsaber is inherently a DS weapon and so I don't think a LS character should be penalized for using one.


Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!


Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 12:41 AM   #17
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,875
Current Game: HKO closed beta
No. I don't have much else to say.
@Anyone who said 'yes': Care to explain?


Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 AM   #18
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
I also say a resounding No, but I do so from an RPG Rules perspective above everything else.

Weapons cannot be aligned one way or another, they are merely tools.

"Magic" weapons, like Sabers with LS/DS aligned crystals in them can be LS or DS, but since you can clearly take the crystal out and still use the saber no matter your alignment, this renders this argument moot.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 04:14 AM   #19
YertyL
Junior Member
 
YertyL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Germany
Posts: 390
http://blogs.starwars.com/099-09765/4/comments
Seems like we're not the only ones discussing this
Btw. a good point mentioned in this blog is that the double-bladed saber was first used (& created) by Exar Kun, thus making it a "Sith" lightsaber as it was first used by a Sith, not because it is restricted to Sith.
YertyL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 04:41 AM   #20
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester
 
Darth Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 1,973
Okay, being the originator of the idea, in these forums anyway, I'll go ahead and expalin why I think it's a good idea. Incidently, all evidence I'm using is from the films, not EU.

1. Only Sith use the double-blade. One quarter of all Sith Lords surveyed replied 'yes, I do use a double-bladed lightsabre'. The other three use the signel-blade.

2. Only Jedi use twin single-blades. In both AotC and RotS, Anakin uses two blades. In addition, in the Execution Arena in AotC, there are around 3-5 Jedi fighting with two single-bladed lightsabres

3. The offical Star Wars sight lists the double-blade as "Sith Lightsaber"

4. The double-blade is more aggressive. As was pointed out by luke in another thread, having the double-blade makes reflecting blaster bolts more difficult, especially when compared to twin single-blades. Hence, the double-blade is a more offensive, while twin blades are more defensive

5. It provides more of a distinction between LS and DS. Sure, there are some differences, but I feel they need to be more pronounced

6. It should be pointed out that in no way would this resrict weapon choice. LS Master's could still wield a double-blad, while DS Master's could still wield twin single-blades. The only differences would be that, like using DS powers as a LS player, there would be modifiers imposed.


Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #21
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend
 
Alkonium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Divinity's Reach
Posts: 3,885
Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
True, but who's to say there aren't aggresive Jedi that aren't corrupted? I, for one prefer double bladed and light side.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #22
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur
 
JediMaster12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Buried in books...literally
Posts: 5,933
Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
I said no because you only get penalties on the hits if you don't have the necessary feats. I play smart to make sure I get the two weapon fighting feats because it increases my chances of a hit and there is the reduction in penalties. Also the type of weapon you use affects the hit points. So I say no no and NO to this DS/LS penalty because I've also seen dark Jedi wielding two single blades.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 12:21 PM   #23
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,355
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
Incidently, all evidence I'm using is from the films, not EU.
But since the games are in the EU, shouldn't the EU be taken into consideration?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #24
Young Outlaw
Rookie
 
Young Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13
I voted no cause i don't care. I always focus my character on using the force. I only have light sabers equiped for the stat bonuses from the crystals and for blaster deflection. I never attack with a weapon. They could add double-bladed lightsaber form for a darksided prestige class and tow bladed light saber form for a lightsided prestige class
Young Outlaw is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 06:21 PM   #25
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I
 
lukeiamyourdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Posts: 8,274
LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
Incidently, all evidence I'm using is from the films, not EU.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
1. Only Sith use the double-blade. One quarter of all Sith Lords surveyed replied 'yes, I do use a double-bladed lightsabre'. The other three use the signel-blade.
Exactly. 1 out of 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
2. Only Jedi use twin single-blades. In both AotC and RotS, Anakin uses two blades. In addition, in the Execution Arena in AotC, there are around 3-5 Jedi fighting with two single-bladed lightsabres
Actually, Anakin just picked up another saber on the run, that simply cannot be counted as a dual wielder as he is regularly a single wielder.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
3. The offical Star Wars sight lists the double-blade as "Sith Lightsaber"
EU.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
4. The double-blade is more aggressive. As was pointed out by luke in another thread, having the double-blade makes reflecting blaster bolts more difficult, especially when compared to twin single-blades. Hence, the double-blade is a more offensive, while twin blades are more defensive

Get rid of Jedi Weapon Masters and Guardians. Hell, let's get rid of the whole offensive side to the Jedi. They can't attack, just stand and resist assaults.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
5. It provides more of a distinction between LS and DS. Sure, there are some differences, but I feel they need to be more pronounced
They are more then pronounced. Nobody needs to have more distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
6. It should be pointed out that in no way would this resrict weapon choice. LS Master's could still wield a double-blad, while DS Master's could still wield twin single-blades. The only differences would be that, like using DS powers as a LS player, there would be modifiers imposed.
I don't think that you understand that penalties like these in RPGs are often used as deterrents.
It would restrict the choices one can make, just like how Force Powers work now.
You cannot use Force Lightning as a LS Master, but they don't want you to so that's why they put restrictions in the form of penalties.

It's like saying that there's no restriction to going full melee with a consular. There's none, nothing stops you from going melee, but perhaps you'd rather play as a guardian since you have lower VP.

That's what penalties are for, forcing your hand without the words "restricted to X".


http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #26
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable
 
Arátoeldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Karningul
Posts: 1,574
Having played through JA, KotOR and TSL multiple times I have used single, dual and staff sabers. Dual sabers is my least favorite saber combination.

NO
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2005, 12:59 AM   #27
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
Incidently, all evidence I'm using is from the films, not EU.
See, this is why you fail, your first foray should have been into the D20 Star Wars RPG Book, not the Movies or EU. Because in a discussion like you started about what is essentially Game Mechanics, and in this area the D20 RPG System is Cannon over even the Movies.

As Prime pointed out this is the EU we are talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
5. It provides more of a distinction between LS and DS. Sure, there are some differences, but I feel they need to be more pronounced
But the D20 RPG rules don't! Darth Windu I have noticed you haven't adknowledged this fact, you really should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
6. It should be pointed out that in no way would this resrict weapon choice. LS Master's could still wield a double-blad, while DS Master's could still wield twin single-blades. The only differences would be that, like using DS powers as a LS player, there would be modifiers imposed.
It is is fairly clear from reading your posts Darth Windu you haven't played many PnP style RPG's have you?

You want (Negative) Modifiers for wielding a weapon type from alignment, sorry this isn't done to a normal class of weapons. You are indeed restricting what people want to do in a game by imposing unreasonable modifiers.

See this is an RPG, and as such has a rules system, sometimes the source material for an RPG has to be deviated from to fit an RPG Rules system, this is common practice in RPG circles. So Double Bladed Sabers are not affiliated with the DS, nor will they ever be in this system. The saber itself is simply a weapon in the eyes of the game system, nothing more. Remember you aren't the only one who will play this game, so you have to implement a system for the game that will please the masses. D20 is no exception to this.

If I have paid for the proper Feats/Weapon Specialisations to use a particular weapon I and a vast majority of gamers want... no I will say demand to use that weapon free of any further additional penalties. You can clearly see this in effect in the D20 Star Wars RPG book in that you must take certain Feats to wield a weapon free of penalties, and even gain small bonuses, what you propose will lessen the function and purpose of the Feat system, and the rest of the game itself.

Why should I spend three to five Feats to specialise in a particular weapon if you still are going to have negative modifiers from alignment thusly making the bonuses from the said feats null and void?

This, very much so, is where you are limiting people.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2005, 01:19 AM   #28
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,875
Current Game: HKO closed beta
Sometimes I think Redhawke is only here to protect all D20 RPGs from those who wish to change them....


Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2005, 05:15 AM   #29
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination
Sometimes I think Redhawke is only here to protect all D20 RPGs from those who wish to change them....
Sometimes I think that posters need to read all of a thread before commenting.


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2005, 07:05 AM   #30
Aurora Merlow
Junior Member
 
Aurora Merlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kashyyyk Tree tops
Posts: 301
Negative, i'm always LS and sometimes like playing with Double bladed lightsabre. Plus there's no reason why a lightsided characters should be worse than darksided characters using a DB lightsabre
Aurora Merlow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2005, 10:40 PM   #31
Darca Lar
Forumite
 
Darca Lar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 532
Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
I don't like it. I voted NO.

It just doesn't really make any sense.
Yea, I read it and just blanked out, make a bit more sense dude.


Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2005, 11:38 PM   #32
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,875
Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Sometimes I think that posters need to read all of a thread before commenting.
Yeah, that too. But it seems no matter how many you and other people in their right minds stop 2 more rise to take their place.


Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2005, 01:24 AM   #33
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester
 
Darth Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 1,973
RedHawke - I don't even know what a PnP is. After all, I'm just looking at this from a game-specific point of view. I really don't know much about RPG game mechanics etc, as KotOR and KotOR2 are the only RPG's I've ever played.


Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2005, 02:18 AM   #34
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™
 
RedHawke's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Stormreach CA.
Posts: 9,184
Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
RedHawke - I don't even know what a PnP is. After all, I'm just looking at this from a game-specific point of view. I really don't know much about RPG game mechanics etc, as KotOR and KotOR2 are the only RPG's I've ever played.
Ahhhhhhhh! Ok! "That is why you fail"

See this game series is based on Wizards of the Coast's D20 Paper and Pencil (PnP) RPG System, and as such has to adhere to that system, in PnP RPG's you have to allow for great player freedom in the areas of creativity and character concepts, if you make a system too stifling or penalty ridden and players will simply just go and play another game that isn't as restricting.

If a player wants to have a Jedi Guardian that wields a Purple Double Bladed Saber, you cannot tell them they cannot, or unduely penalise them, you are interfereing with "their" character concept, this is something that game system makers really want to avoid. As such you cannot say so-and-so weapon is evil and so-and-so weapon is good and they have penalties, the only time you can do this is when "Magic" is involved, and usually the player has a choice at that point in the game.

Example: Regular Long Swords are just tools. While a Long Sword +5 Holy Avenger is a definate "Good" item, as well as an Long Sword +5 Unholy Reaver is a definate "Evil" item, but all aligned weapons must be magical in order to be aligned at all.

So in KotOR, a Lightsaber is just a tool, the only parts that have a possible alignment are the power crystals we put into the saber. But unlike D20 D&D where magic weaponry is more permanant, saber crystals can be removed, so this reinforces the saber being a non-aligned item.

In short, your idea whilst upholding SW Cannon, cannot be done in the RPG game system. Because in all game mechanics issues the D20 Game System can even override the Cannon source materials. It is commonly done in RPG circles too!

I hope this clairfies!


"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2005, 02:36 AM   #35
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I voted no. While the greatest people to use double-bladed lightsabers were on the Dark Side, there's simply no reason for the Light Siders to get a penalty.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2005, 06:07 AM   #36
Kain
I'm a ghost
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,269
Current Game: Not so much.
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
Hell no. I'm a DS character who uses dual sabers and if it gets me penalized I'm gonna get super pissed.
Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #37
Darca Lar
Forumite
 
Darca Lar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Coruscant
Posts: 532
Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Well using two weapons or a double bladed weapon in a fight will still drop your evade compared to fighting with one single sided weapon. Course if you master it then the penalty will be a lot less.


Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #38
jedi3112
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 500
I'd say NO.

First there's no reason why LS characters shouldn't use double-bladed sabers, and why DS characters shouldn't use 2 sabers. Indeed in the the movies they sometimes do, but the movies don't mention any kind of restriction on the use of sabers. You could also restrict red sabers to the Sith for that matter.

Also there were only 4 Sith Lords in the movies, I hardly consider that a large enough population to represent ALL the Sith. And the Sith were more numerous in the era were talking about.

It takes place a long time before the movies, because the rules stated in the movies don't apply in this era.

The Lightsaber is actually a combination of it's components. So upgrade items such as crystals, and perhaaps the extra upgrade items introduced in K2 (with a good reason as to why) can be restricted to LS or DS. However by removing these items from the saber the restriction should also disappear. The lightsaber itself is just a tool.

2 sabers aren't always more defensive, you can slash away with 2 sabers more easily then with 1 saber, or even a dual-bladed saber.
jedi3112 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2005, 01:14 PM   #39
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur
 
JediMaster12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Buried in books...literally
Posts: 5,933
Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Kudos to you! I don't like the idea of LS/DS restrictions on the lightsabers. It doesn't make sense.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > LS Double-bladed and DS dual penalties?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.