lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kotor Tool.......For linux
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-02-2006, 01:35 AM   #1
madog
Rookie

Kotor Tool.......For linux

will it ever be real?

My mods:
Hk-47 to Rancor
downloads: + 400

Mods still on the opperating table
"pet" for tsl
and a port of that for kotor(mabey)

Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput
madog is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2006, 01:39 AM   #2
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Check this article. However, if Fred Tetra has no objections, I may be able to write some of the resource extraction/editing parts of KT in C++/Qt and release it for Linux/Mac/Unix.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
madog
Rookie

sweet

My mods:
Hk-47 to Rancor

"pet" for tsl

Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput
Old 01-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #4
Sikon
Rookie

Did anyone actually manage to install it under Linux?
Sikon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I doubt it will work, even the Linux version of .NET probably wouldn't support KT, as I think that only 'System' namespaces are supported with it, and KT uses a the 'Microsoft.Win32' namespace to locate the KotOR directories via the registry. I'll try it today though.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Old 01-08-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I'd love to have KT working for Linux, as besides some games and photoshop of course I run Ubuntu-only now. Perhaps it would motivate me to start modding again

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
Sikon
Rookie

How about writing a KOTOR toolset for Linux from scratch, instead of trying to port KOTOR Tool?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #8
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon
How about writing a KOTOR toolset for Linux from scratch, instead of trying to port KOTOR Tool?
Are you volenteering?

Realise that KotOR Tool has taken Fred Tetra hundreds of hours to put in it's current state.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-09-2006, 02:57 AM   #9
Sikon
Rookie

Actually, I am. However, I'm planning to make a set of tools using a shared library for archive access, instead of one big program. And make it open source, of course. I don't see anything difficult about it, as the formats are well-documented. The only question is time.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Realise that KotOR Tool has taken Fred Tetra hundreds of hours to put in it's current state.
The website says 1100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
I'd love to have KT working for Linux, as besides some games and photoshop of course I run Ubuntu-only now. Perhaps it would motivate me to start modding again
I'm surprised that Photoshop hasn't been released for Linux, it was written in Qt, which can be compiled to Win32, Linux, UNIX, and Mac from the same source (which is also why I switched to it from .NET) .

Old 01-09-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Sikon
Rookie

By the way, there's a nice project on SourceForge:
http://sf.net/projects/openknights
It's for NWN, but I think most tools will work with KOTOR as well.
Edit: scratch that, they're for Windows... although having source code for nwnnsscomp is nice, nice.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
^^^^
You could have gotten that at Torlack's site (the guy who wrote it, along with the original NWN tools, ie the NWN Explorer). It's http://torlack.com .

Old 01-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
Sikon
Rookie

That site provides only Windows binaries. At least I couldn't find the sources.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
rgdelta

It is the link on the left called NWN Tools Source
rgdelta is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
madog
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
I'm surprised that Photoshop hasn't been released for Linux, it was written in Qt, which can be compiled to Win32, Linux, UNIX, and Mac from the same source (which is also why I switched to it from .NET) .
Gimp is better anyway

My mods:
Hk-47 to Rancor

"pet" for tsl

Old 02-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #16
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
I've been actively working with the most Recent WINE release and some of the WINE developers to get K1 & K2 running with impunity on Linux. If I can get both of these games to work it may emulate enough of the windows calls to allow the .NET framework to run as well and I can test KT after that.

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #17
Sikon
Rookie

First of all, it's Wine, not WINE. Second, the .NET Framework doesn't run under Wine, but there is a separate project called Mono, which is a free independent implementation of .NET. The bad news is, KOTOR Tool, being a rather sophisticated Windows Forms application, doesn't work under Mono.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #18
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikon
First of all, it's Wine, not WINE. Second, the .NET Framework doesn't run under Wine, but there is a separate project called Mono, which is a free independent implementation of .NET. The bad news is, KOTOR Tool, being a rather sophisticated Windows Forms application, doesn't work under Mono.
I've already gotten a few of my .NET framework apps to run under WINE. These apps use .NET framework calls for the apps -- I know they were sample .NET programs I programmed myself from a .NET programming manual.(They don't compile without .NET Framework 1.1 installed.) I haven't tried KT yet because without the games working there the tools are of no use.

As to refering to WINE as WINE is because I have seen it in many forms in it's releases, readme's, and across the web which include;
Wine
W.I.N.E.
WINE
WinE
So I have adopted WINE as my way of referencing it.(Not worth correcting peoples spelling of something so minor when there are many ways of refering to it.)

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #19
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkkender
I've been actively working with the most Recent WINE release and some of the WINE developers to get K1 & K2 running with impunity on Linux. If I can get both of these games to work it may emulate enough of the windows calls to allow the .NET framework to run as well and I can test KT after that.
I would love you if you could get it running under linux.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #20
Sikon
Rookie

http://www.winehq.com/
"Wine" is official.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #21
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Can we please drop the "WINE" / "Wine" debate?! Frankly, it doesn't matter as long as someone knows what the heck you're talking about..

Quote:
(Not worth correcting peoples spelling of something so minor when there are many ways of refering to it.)
^^^
agreed

and if you'd like to get technical.. it's spelled "Wine" but their logo is in all caps

You're both 'right' end of discussion...

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #22
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
I've already gotten a few of my .NET framework apps to run under WINE. These apps use .NET framework calls for the apps -- I know they were sample .NET programs I programmed myself from a .NET programming manual.(They don't compile without .NET Framework 1.1 installed.) I haven't tried KT yet because without the games working there the tools are of no use.
That may be just because you got .NET IL to run on Linux, however, the 'Microsoft' namespaces use Windows API-specific features that may not be able to be duplicated, and I know KT uses at least the 'Microsoft.Win32' namespace.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > T3-M4's Astromech Droid Center > Kotor Tool.......For linux