lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Venator - out. Official
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
DarthMaulUK

Venator - out. Official

Lucasarts associate producer; David Silverstein posted today that the Venator has indeed been removed from Empire at War, despite gaming press posting new screenshots, even as recent as Jan 4th 2006!

The Venator was cut from EAW guys. I asked them about it when it got removed from the EAW website and I got a response from them last night stating it was cut. [LEC] Rogue

Post your thoughts

DMUK

Last edited by Jan Gaarni; 01-04-2006 at 05:51 PM.
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #2
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Well this is sure crazy. It's a shame they released a screen of it and then just decided to take it out. Its not good publicity. Well I guess Im gonna have to turn to a mod for my venator needs .

> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator
popcorn2008 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
THrawn((9
Rookie

this is unfair letting them publish SS's that say differently!

A True stratergist doesnt need a DS to be successful. A True Thrawn should understand this. the Only Superweapon Thrawn needs is information!
THrawn((9 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Sithman1138

Wow. I was looking forward to this. Maybe they are planning on a add-on and want to save the venator for it. It does seem silly though, considering how many people want it. Oh well, maybe it was to balance out the game, which is very likely. The Empire already has powerful ships.

-Adthrawn of SWGBH
-Sithman1138 of TF.N

^^Sig by Sabretooth^^
ADTHRAWN DESIGN TEAM
Sithman1138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

In the new develoer diary released today, they also put a Venator pic in there! Now they should have at least thought about that! I am kind of sad about this. I was really one of the biggest Venator fans here .

Heres the pic, you can see the Venator top left:

> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator

Last edited by popcorn2008; 01-04-2006 at 05:00 PM.
popcorn2008 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #6
killerluk
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn2008
Heres the pic, you can see the Venator top right:
top left and its a shame they removed the venator was one of best looking ships imo
killerluk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
T10
Rookie

Absolutely disgraceful! Why are we letting them get away with this? It's not as if it's not coded or anything, as it's been seen in game. It's not as if it's out of the timeline, as they have Acclamators. It's not as if people don't want it, if they really don't like it they can just not build them. It's pathetic, imo.

If modding tools aren't released around the same time as the game, it will be a clear message that the game is being milked by LucasArts. If that happens, I won't be buying a copy of their highly original Clone Wars expansion pack, with only 5 or 6 new ships for the empire, a handful of new planets, a small campaign and perhaps a load of bugs.

If I'd known that polishing meant removing, I'd advise all households to not buy cleaning products!

INSERT_USELESS_INFORMATION_HERE>
T10 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
This may be the clue we need to unraveling the mystery of the Sith!

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #9
Athanasios
Forumite

Heh, if they "confirmed" that Venator was in just few days ago, and now they "confirm" that they took it out, then, if players insist, they might "confirm" it is in .

Btw, this is not a good management by a PC Game developement company...
Athanasios is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 05:11 PM   #10
Sithman1138

Maybe it's a cheat ship? Like the Star Destroyer for SWGB? We can only hope....But it could always be added by us!

-Adthrawn of SWGBH
-Sithman1138 of TF.N

^^Sig by Sabretooth^^
ADTHRAWN DESIGN TEAM
Sithman1138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #11
Darth Andrew
Veteran

*sigh* This is just crazy/pathetic/stupid/odd. If anything, it's for an expansion, just like what Sithman1138 said.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #12
Athanasios
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithman1138
Maybe it's a cheat ship? Like the Star Destroyer for SWGB? We can only hope....But it could always be added by us!
Hm, i'd rather buy a game made correctly with all features included by the original development team, rather than fill it with mods...
Old 01-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #13
DarthMaulUK

Maybe they are having problems of fitting it into the time line? Or it could all be about balance. Who knows, I forgot to ask them today!.

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
Athanasios
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK
Maybe they are having problems of fitting it into the time line? Or it could all be about balance. Who knows, I forgot to ask them today!.
DMUK
True, Venator's design is way more "outdated" than Rebs' and Imps' ships, yet, the timeline is strictly said to be "a bit after Ep3 and before.....", so, we need some Ep3's things; not just planets (which where not born after Ep3...................)
Old 01-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #15
Darth Diddler
Rookie

sad

I feel like i am in a relationship with a woman who have emotions that go up and down like a hot air balloon...whats going on over there...first it's in then it's out...whats next it's in again....demos late....games late....if they worked for me i'd fire them......DD
Darth Diddler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #16
GhostlyYouki
Rookie

You start off with the Acclamator and Venator (example) and some new model Star Destroyer then RESEARCH your way up to Star Destroyers we see in Episode 4. Yes there was enough time to change from one ship model to another but doesn't mean they're all gone since they're probably not done switching from one ship to another in an instant since ships take a while to replace from service risking an attack from some random group.

In EAW language, If theres Acclamators then Venators should still be in service ready to come out of service and used by both sides depending on which missions you accept and deny. My opinion.

GhostlyYouki is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #17
DarkLeeLee
Rookie

i dont really mind if its out its a game for cyring out loud
DarkLeeLee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #18
Snafu7
Purvayer of Truthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLeeLee
same here, I could care less if it's in the game, I just want the game to be bug free and fun to play.
Snafu7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #19
Jeff

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLeeLee
same here, I could care less if it's in the game, I just want the game to be bug free and fun to play.
I agree with you two. All the ships we've seen so far have looked magnificent, so it's not going to hurt me if one ship isn't included.

Though I must admit it is a good looking ship.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #20
jake123456
Rookie

Are they out of their minds, why , why are they posting new screenshots with venator if it is not going to be in the game, are they trying to make everyone mad or something, what are they thinking?
jake123456 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #21
Lew

There are two goods and a bad with this however:

Good #1:
The ship was probably redundant in the game. I can see why they cut it, they have three big cap ships- the Acc, the VSD, and the ISD. Light, medium, heavy (since it's been well established that only transports can carry troops- they said balance issues came up when troops could be carried on cap ships). For people who don't really care or know differently, does adding an extra ship change the game that much? How much different could the Ven be from the other three to be worth it? Myself, I would have cut the VSD and kept the Ven, since the VSD isn't in any of the movies yet the Ven is- and let's face it: that's what most people know. Yep, I've seen VSDs since the TIE Fighter days, but I'd rather see the Ven.

Good #2:
The resource files/data for the Ven will probably still be in the game, so with a little modding we might still be able to access the Ven model. I would LOVE to just change the model of the VSD with the Ven, the name could stay the same- that's no biggie Just the look.

The Bad:
Big minus for the Promotion Department for not doing their checks on screen shots (I thought every dev did that, guess I'm wrong !) They released a ss today with the Ven in it in a new preview, and then the news that it's out of the game. Bad press department, bad bad bad...

...and the UGLY from the Gamespot Dev Diary (today):
They made a huge gameplay change, and then had to redo all their maps. Now they don't have the time to properly playtest. As with most games- I'll wait until the reviews and the first patch to buy (I heard the "first-patch" theory and practice it, it really does pay off in a better experience with fewer bugs!).

-Lew
Lew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #22
Daddyboom
Rookie

cmon people alright the venator is out, big deal!
why does everyone want it so much, it doesn't look that great?
Daddyboom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #23
GhostlyYouki
Rookie

Not just a ship :| Its a ship just like a Star Destroyer and the Episode 2 ship is. It has meaning not just some "ship". Saying it like its some dull word. I know its outdated and all that but common, if you watched the Mini Clone Wars Series and Episode 3 you would like it.

Its like sayign a Imperial Star Destroyer is some worthless ship just because its in Episode 4 to 6 and that it didn't do anything special and it shouldn't be in the game for that reason. But O well what can you do Lucasarts took it out.

Old 01-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #24
queetz
Rookie

Why can't they just upload the Venator at the main EAW site as an optional download if they simply do not want it added in the official copy of the game for whatever reason? Sort of like how Maxis/Electronic Arts upload new landmarks for their Simcity games.

The model is already built and this would give Venator fans the satisfaction that they truly crave. If it does not fit in the story campaign, then fine. But at least let us have it for the conquest and multiplayer campaigns.
queetz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #25
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

This is just ridiculous, and frankly my opinion of EaW just keeps getting lower and lower, which I didn't think was possible.

Why have the Assault Ship in-game, yet not the Attack Cruiser? It just doesn't make sense. The Assault Ship is older and less powerful, mostly because it's not a ship of the line, whereas the Attack Cruiser is. Also, we're seeing one of only three Imperial Battleships seen in the films (Attack Cruiser, Star Destroyer, Super Star Destroyer) cut in favour of something 100% EU (Victory). It's just stupid and to be blunt, it's not good enough.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #26
jake123456
Rookie

They can't make it available for download, because they want to get more money from us, they probably will release an expention which will cost 30 dollars more, they don't care about fans, only money.
jake123456 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #27
queetz
Rookie

^ Can they release the expansion on Feb 16 as well? The model is already done for God's sake!
queetz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #28
GhostlyYouki
Rookie

For those that beat a Petroglyph dev in a game should win a Venator, that should work.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:31 AM   #29
saalkin
Rookie

Well I would say petro isn't the ones who did this. I would say it was lucas that told them to remove it. I had followed the cnc games and I found out that the last few where changed by ea. One of the games CnC: TS was changed by EA so that some of the stuff was removed to make an expasion.
I hope this doesn't happen to them anymore.
saalkin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #30
Stival Discipal
Rookie

Good... the Empire doesn't need it anyway. In case anyone didn't notice, we have enough of an advantage anyway with the Death Star and two moble Sith Lords. And by the way Darth MaulUK thanks for bringing this to our attention.

" Execute... Order... 66..."

The 501st Legion of the Empire
Stival Discipal-Recruiter
Stival Discipal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 05:57 AM   #31
Master_Cain
Rookie

The question is this :

Why keep the Aclamator when you can keep the Venator ?!

Master_Cain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 07:00 AM   #32
bigbigewok
Rookie

It's a pitty that alot of stuff is knot in the game.
But we can all do some mods.
Afterall the designers say the game is fully modable.
bigbigewok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #33
BattleDamage
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Cain
The question is this :

Why keep the Aclamator when you can keep the Venator ?!
The answer is this:
Balance issues. Acclamators are no more then armed troop transports, the Venator is a heavy cruiser.Just what the Rebels need, another cruiser to deal with and find weaknesses in. The Imperials already have a wide and varied selection of cruisers, so, why make another, let alone one that decomissioned by the time this game takes place. The only reason to include the ship at all is for variety and popular demand.

BattleDamage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #34
T10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbigewok
Afterall the designers say the game is fully modable.
They also said that the Venator was in.

Quote:
Balance issues. Acclamators are no more then armed troop transports, the Venator is a heavy cruiser.Just what the Rebels need, another cruiser to deal with and find weaknesses in.
I can solve it! It has weak, close range weapons, but it's strength is the fighters it can carry. It's weakness is when it deploys them. See? I just beat Petro.

Quote:
The only reason to include the ship at all is for variety and popular demand.
OMG! Variety and popular demand are evil! They destroy games! It's much better to take out all of the popular stuff and replace it with EU ships that have never been seen before!

I think that the X-Wing adds too much variety to this game. Let's take it out and replace it with.....um........T wings from X-wing vs. Tie fighter. Or something. And people won't mind if we take it out, will they? I mean, it's only popular. Who wants popular stuff? Pfft.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:01 AM   #35
BattleDamage
Rookie

wow dont be an ass just stating my opinion. christ dont bite my head off for giving my 2 cents

BattleDamage is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #36
Jeff

T10, don't make sarcastic remarks that might offend people. BattleDamage, don't post complaining about other people's posts. If you have a problem wish a member PM a moderator.

Back on topic.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #37
zeni
Rookie

Thumbs down

AARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I HATE U!!!!!!!

BRING BACK VENATOR!!!!!!!!!! thats really not nice! first tell us, its in. (all venator freaks like me where happy) and then cut it out ARRRRRRRGGGGGGG.....

i hope u will bring it back in a patch or im getting really mad!!!!!!

but acctualy t10 is right.... taking out the popular ones and put in ships, nobody care about issnt very good for publicity.... i mean this tanks are just ***** and they'r loking like a thing wich hasnt anything to do with starwars... if they take out a few more ships, the comunity will almost forgett, that they are playing a starwars game..... its like C&C generals... no different any more.... i am against T-Bombers..... better B52-Bomber from the USAF!!!! xD

If somebody sees a mistake in my texts he may keep it
HEY PLZ BRING BACK VENATOR WITH PATCH 1.1!!!!!!!
I NEED IT!

zeni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #38
star wars lover
Rookie

Exclamation

I'd hate to stop your rage, but I think you guys are overreacting...the venator will proabably be released in a mod a few days (or weeks) after the official launch. *hides under a rock so he doesn't get killed*

Favorite Generals and ZH quotes:
Helix: "I'm Going To Ruin Somebody's Day."
Missile Defender: "I wanna blow some'n up!"
Dozer: "That one's pretty banged up."
Dr. Thrax: "Ah! You destroyed my command center! Ah well, I always hated my commanders anyway. Heh heh heh."
star wars lover is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #39
T10
Rookie

Sorry if ya got offended.

Anyways, lover, it's the principle of it. It's not right that a developer (or publisher, for that matter) should insist on leaving out content, purely becuase people will make mods for it. In RA2, they didn't leave out Tanya and expect someone to mod it in. They did the work themselves. A good developer will make sure that they've covered what's suitable with that the rest of the game has. I just don't see Petro doing this...

Old 01-05-2006, 10:31 AM   #40
gamefreak
Rookie

If they took the Venator out for balancing reasonsthen I say let them build a Rebel counterpart and then post the two in a patch
gamefreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > Venator - out. Official