lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: the age old question...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
toue
Rookie

the age old question...

i would like to try and find the answer to the age old question, who is better the stormtroopers, or the clone troopers? i'd like to keep this mostly centered on the game versions of them and stay mostly away from the movies for a start how bout we discuss the jetpackers

toue is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Definitely the clones when it comes to the flyers. No arguments there.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Well, each have different advantages.....the Clone Commander is better than the Imp Officers. Though, I personally I think the Dark Trooper is more effective than Jet Trooper. But, the heroes are better for the Republic....as is the vehicles to. So I have go with the Clones.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #4
TSR
Hoist the colours!

Current Game: Rift
Forum Veteran LF Jester Helpful! 
i dont know, the arc caster is pretty good on the dark trooper, and with the clone trooper's jet pack,a syou are moving slower you are more prone to recieving fire from the enmies. IMO i prefer the dark trooper

British By Birth. English By The Grace Of God

Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori
Let Mercy Come
TSR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
mima kake
Just the two of us

I prever the normal clone trooper.
Seems a bit quicker some how with the shooting.
thats my favorite.
Nice and simple just like mima :P

mima kake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Well, arc caster is nice, too bad they can't charge mid-flight. That and coupled with the slow recharge of the jetpack, and on-the-bounce mode, makes dark trooper crappy(and frustrating) as a flyer. Now as a ground crawlering troop he is doing his job with the caster though (which is a good SHORT RANGE weapon only when charged up).

Jettroopers are nice with the flight, though in BF2 the flight time is too short. Their gun have better mid-flight use, and is good for snipery things. That having said, the short flight time plus slower flight speed (both relative to BF1) makes them sometimes a sitting duck and sniper bait.

I would rather go with the dark trooper this current version, and go snipery award pistols.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

If your talking Clone Troopers and Stormtroopers, they are both exactly the same, but the Clones look better.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
FR0ST
Lurker

Clones beat the Stormies hands down.
FR0ST is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Location: The three dimensional geometric shaped space station of DOOM!
I think the stormies would win personally. After all we did get to play this out in the campaign, right?

Aside, I think Jet trooper is better then Dark trooper, it's weapon is deadly and doesn't need to be charged. Plus his jet pack is easier to control. 1 on 1 he would probably lose to the DT but all in all I find him more useful.

Not being paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't trying to kill you... or does it?
ParanoidAndroid is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

I don't think the Campaign counts, the clones only had two different units and they were of course bots. To know for sure you would need two evenly matched teams online, Republic v Empire to find out.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 01-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

True that, of corse It's all really a matter of personal preferance as the two sides are relativly equal exept when it comes to speacial units. Then the Clone Commander has a great advantage over his imperial counterpart.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:01 PM   #12
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

and therefore we can conclude, that the Clones would win over the Imperials.

- Halo_92

Old 01-25-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

If it's just infantry then yeah it looks that way. I keep thinking the units have diffirences like in BF1 but in actuallity they are identical except for speacial's and commanders. And as most people seem to favor the clone commander (actually it seems the imperial officers greatest weakness is his lack of popularity. The mortar launcher is instant kill and requires no warm up, plus they are faster, only really weaker in the pistol department which isn't half bad once you get used to it.) Then I guess I would have to say clones as well. (although i'm still partial to stormies...)

Now if we were including vehicles, starfighters or heroes it might turn out diffrently, or it might not. Now what we really need is a mod map, as you said, that pits these sides against each other once and for all.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:53 PM   #14
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
In game, the CW Clones have better and more varied vehicles. They simply pack more firepower and functions. Thus if they were to fight each other in game, the CW Clones would win.

Now in "canon" the Imperial stuff is supposed to have greater firepower and numbers, so they would beat the Prequel era Clones, but that's really counting the entire military, not just the GCW stormtroopers (which are also, incidentally, mostly clones, though not all of Jango by this time). After all, during the prequels, the clones are portrayed as doing just about everything... they're pilots, ground troops, crews, etc. Whereas in the Empire Stormtroopers have guard duty and they're infantry, except in a few rare cases like being AT-AT drivers (overseen by a non-clone officer like Veers). Capital ships are crewed by non-clones. Pilots may or may not be clones in the Empire, it's never really stated onscreen, though EU sources may have been recently retconned to allow for this...

Anyway to sum up: In-game: Prequel era Clones are superior. In "real life" (movies) the Empire is supposedly more powerful and larger, so they'd win.

I would actually love to see a "grudge match" multiplayer scenario between the two factions. The only difficulty would be distinguishing all that white armor on the battle field (so having friendly fire on would be a major pain in the neck!).

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #15
jediofdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParanoidAndroid
I think Jet trooper is better then Dark trooper, it's weapon is deadly and doesn't need to be charged.
Thats's not technically true. An EMP only does damage to droids. An EMP will/should have no affects on humans unless they have an artificial pacemaker or something. Anyway in my opinion I think the republic troops are better and look cooler (Not that looks count in a battle but still) I prefer the republic in almost every single way though so I'll go with republic.

[Plague]
[For]
[Today]

I know what you're thinking, I know how you're feeling, Believe me. You're not alone.
jediofdoom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #16
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

Right, he's more useful against the opponents he usually fights (droids) but against the empire he would do little to no damage, (execpt maybe he could damage the Dark trooper, weren't they droids?).

Old 01-29-2006, 09:39 PM   #17
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediofdoom
Thats's not technically true. An EMP only does damage to droids. An EMP will/should have no affects on humans unless they have an artificial pacemaker or something. Anyway in my opinion I think the republic troops are better and look cooler (Not that looks count in a battle but still) I prefer the republic in almost every single way though so I'll go with republic.

Is that really true though? With Friendly Fire turned on, are you able to harm your teammates with the EMP weapon? If so, then it definately works on biologicals!

Also, in Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast we have the DEMP which, while an EMP weapon, is also capable of damaging biological lifeforms.

The Dark Trooper is supposed to be a droid in a suit, but other versions exist. It's essentially powered armor that can be worn by a droid or a human.

However the Dark Troopers in Battlefront series are completely different than in all previous games. Apparently they're just normal stormtroopers that have been given gray armor and a jetpack. They're humans inside.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 05:37 PM   #18
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

I think phase 2 (or is it 2? haven't played DF for a long long time) DarkTrooper armor can be warn by both human or droid, but yes I think the DarkTrooper project focuses on droids mainly.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #19
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

All I remember is the the Dark Troopers were big scary droids,
EMP harms everyone (I've accidently killed myself as a Jet Trooper enough times to know.)

- Halo_92

Old 01-30-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Isn't the "EMP" made to destroy verybody in its radius, but to minimal damage to Clones?

Old 01-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #21
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Well if thats true then it doesn't work because it is very possible to kill yourself and other Clones with an EMP.

- Halo_92

Old 01-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #22
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
Well if thats true then it doesn't work because it is very possible to kill yourself and other Clones with an EMP.
Well, that's what it was like in SWBF. Umm....

Old 01-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #23
THX1138_Scorpio
Rookie

I think the actual question should be which is better against their opponent. Both the Empire and Republic have certain qualities that are suited for eliminating their natural enemies, not each other who are never supposed to face each other in the first place.

As for the actual question asked, I think the DT is what I call a "dirty" fighter, meaning it gets maximum damage and not necessarily a kill (ie: magna guard's weapons damage and not always kill). For quick, effective killing the Jet Trooper is definitely superior but the DT would probably win a fight between the two since the Arc Caster is more disabling even if not deadly than the EMP launcher. I dunno, it might just be me but the DT's pistol seems better than the Jet Trooper's.

Empire > Republic politically, militarily, visually
THX1138_Scorpio is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #24
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
for vehickles, i think the atst beats the clone walker
there tanks are the same and the atte could kill the atat if it got close

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #25
Nanda Keon
Rookie

I prefer the imperials, traditional star wars chars.
Nanda Keon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #26
Redtech
Veteran

Clones for the win. I suppose in infantry the Clone officer will beat the imp one, in vehicles, the only DECENT vehicle that the empire have is the IFT, which I reckon is a Republic vehicle anyweay IMHO, in space, it's more personal preferance, although in the films, the Republic has been thoroughly nerfed to become an empire.

I am the definition of your defeat.
Redtech is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #27
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
No doubt, Clones ftw. Better classes, better vehicles, better heroes, etc. Though, the Imps have their advantages, but Clones advantages are much more significant compared to the Imps.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #28
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
i like the imp bomber and the normal tie but i like the rep fighter

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2006, 05:48 AM   #29
B.U.R.N_Large
Rookie

Empire is much strong than Clones. Dark trooper is devastating if used correctly. Mortars have a good blast radius and when combined with rage are nothing short of awesome in skilled hands. The chaingun isnt very effective against mortars - infact its worse than blasters which can kill most in 3 headshots.

I know it wasnt asked, but overall rebels have the advantage on most maps.

Even on Mos Eisley where empire have a huge speed advantage, wookies can shoot darkies out of the air with a small charge and although lacking speed somewhat, the rebels are just too powerfull.

Get to evenly skilled clans fighting over mos eisley and rebels will win every time.

Clones really do lack the punch of the empire due to no mortar (the only faction without such a thing). Jet Trooper is much weaker than the first game, the emp launcher is much slower meaning hitting a real player from the air is almost impossible (assuming they can play fairly well).
B.U.R.N_Large is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #30
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Imperials have the mortar, Clones have the Chaingun. Which is the more efficient killer?

- Halo_92

Old 02-08-2006, 01:04 PM   #31
mima kake
Just the two of us

Depense on who is controlling the character I reckon.

I prefer the mortar though.
I just aim better with that one

mima kake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #32
jediofdoom

In the game the chaingun is terrible it takes too long to get going and by that time you can often be dead. Personally I'd have the mortar launcher.

[Plague]
[For]
[Today]

I know what you're thinking, I know how you're feeling, Believe me. You're not alone.
jediofdoom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #33
ParanoidAndroid
Veteran

I agree, the chaingun is good once it gets fired up, but otherwise I'd say the mortat launcher is a easier to get kills with. Not to say the chaingun is bad of course, in my opinion it's an ok weapon. I just find the mortar launcher more effective.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #34
{RM}_Koffee510
Rookie

Well, i personally don't like the chaingun too much, each hit is about as strong as one pistol shot, but it's sure fun to crouch down and nail 3 droids for fun games (never online)

I like the mortar launcher a ton because of versatility. You easily kill anything with one shot, and on crowded maps (ie: Pollis Massa) it really owns. you also aren't dead meat vs. a vehicle, which is always nice.

Dispite not liking the Commander, i think the Reps are a tad bit better. IMO, both sides are better against their intended enemy (CIS and Rebels), but the Reps would definatly win, because of how their weapons are intended to be used against large amounts of infantry, and the Imps are intended to use against vehicles (at least, that's what it looks like to me)

oh, btw, i'm new here so...hi
{RM}_Koffee510 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > SWBattlefront.net (SWBF I & II) > Star Wars Battlefront II > General Discussion > the age old question...