lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Hillary Clinton for president?
Definitely 0 0%
I'd consider voting for her 9 45.00%
Definitely not 11 55.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Survey sez: Hillary is out
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #41
rccar328
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
Are people saying that because neo-cons want smaller government they are liberal and not conservative? Or am i misreading that? I thought one of the defining points of right wing conservatives was their insistance on business and slashing government size?
The difference between conservatives and neo-cons is that while neo-cons are conservative on social issues (such as abortion & gay marriage), they are liberal when it comes to government expansion (I believe President Bush has yet to veto a spending bill coming out of Congress). Real conservatives, on the other hand, want smaller government and are conservative on social issues.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
~John F. Kennedy

True Conservatism

rccar328 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #42
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
They also differ a bit in their attitude towards foreign policy:

Neo-Cons tend to have a very aggressive outward-looking foreign policy stance, quite action oriented; while "classic" conservatives seem to tend towards a bit more isolationist.

It seems sometimes that foreign policy IS the driving factor behind much of the neo-con platform. That's really their strength.
They seem weaker and less focused on domestic issues.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #43
rccar328
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
They also differ a bit in their attitude towards foreign policy:

Neo-Cons tend to have a very aggressive outward-looking foreign policy stance, quite action oriented; while "classic" conservatives seem to tend towards a bit more isolationist.

It seems sometimes that foreign policy IS the driving factor behind much of the neo-con platform. That's really their strength.
They seem weaker and less focused on domestic issues.
For a lot of people, it is. I honestly believe that if it wasn't for his stance on foreign policy, President Bush wouldn't have been re-elected - too many conservatives disagree with his stances on issues like illegal immigration & government spending.

The problem is that a popular enough [acceptable] alternative has yet to be found.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
~John F. Kennedy

True Conservatism

rccar328 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 09:18 AM   #44
ShadowTemplar
Heathen

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
The Iraquagmire is a strength?

Last edited by ShadowTemplar; 03-14-2006 at 09:37 AM.
ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #45
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
"Strength" insofar as that's the one position in their common ideology that really holds them together and drives them forward. And it gets the electorate's attention,.. for better or worse.

Take away the neo-con's national security and foreign policy, and exactly what to they have left? Nothing really capable of getting them elected, that's for sure...

The Wiki entry on American NeoConservatisim seems pretty well done, and is actually pretty informative: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocons...(United_States)

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #46
toms
v0.9

One idea parties are a lot easier to promote and gain support for, but a lot harder to sustain over the long term.

I'm not clear on whether bush WANTS to be spending all that money, or if its just easier to call for cutting costs than it is to actually do it when faced with the stark choices of exactly what essential services to cut. Bush certainly never struck me as in any way liberal... though the whole second term / lame duck factor has to be taken into account, as he is certainly behaving in a different manner to his first term.
Interesting commentary: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4807446.stm

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #47
toms
v0.9

For those against hillary's stand on video games may i quote ctrl-alt-del:
Quote:
Video Game Voter's Network
08:13 PM - Monday, March 13, 2006 - by Tim

As I regard this to be a very important issue for gamers, I urge everyone to take a look at this website.

I am going to be behind this 110%. I've signed up, and I hope you'll do the same.

They've got a great backend system that will assist you in contacting your local senators once you've signed up. Also, they have a solid collection of facts regarding games and video game violence that you should take a look at to educate yourself on our side of the argument.

Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Survey sez: Hillary is out