lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Separation of Church and State
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #81
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
The good thing about the OED, and the reason I refer to it over lesser sources, is that it cites the earliest known and intended uses of a word. You can't beat the OED for definition and origin. All others simply cater to colloquialism and mistaken usage.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #82
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Origin is very important, but common usage arguably defines a language (at least in the long term). After all, if you're speaking the english language in public and say the word "gay," unless you're quoting some old Christman carol, everybody assumes you mean "homosexual"* even though that's not the word's origin. It is part of the design philosophy of dictionaries of course whether go this way or that.

*though among certain young people and internet kiddies, it's commonly used as a synonym for "sucks" (ie: worthless). Online to avoid confusion with homosexuality, some have taken to altering the spelling to "ghey."

Quote:
[French, from Old French.]
Word History: Bigots may have more in common with God than one might think. Legend has it that Rollo, the first duke of Normandy, refused to kiss the foot of the French king Charles III, uttering the phrase bi got, his borrowing of the assumed Old English equivalent of our expression by God. Although this story is almost surely apocryphal, it is true that bigot was used by the French as a term of abuse for the Normans, but not in a religious sense. Later, however, the word, or very possibly a homonym, was used abusively in French for the Beguines, members of a Roman Catholic lay sisterhood. From the 15th century on Old French bigot meant “an excessively devoted or hypocritical person.” Bigot is first recorded in English in 1598 with the sense “a superstitious hypocrite.”

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Of course I can see why holding to this might appeal to you, at least on a certain level.

On a lighter note:

Quote:
bigot

A person who is religiously attached to a particular computer,
language, operating system, editor, or other tool (see
religious issues). Usually found with a specifier; thus,
"Cray bigot", "ITS bigot", "APL bigot", "VMS bigot", "Berkeley
bigot". Real bigots can be distinguished from mere partisans
or zealots by the fact that they refuse to learn alternatives
even when the march of time and/or technology is threatening
to obsolete the favoured tool. It is truly said "You can tell
a bigot, but you can't tell him much." Compare weenie.

[Jargon File]

Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2005 Denis Howe

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2006, 03:23 PM   #83
ShadowTemplar
Heathen

Quote:
"You can tell a bigot, but you can't tell him much." - Jargon file, The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing
Best. Quote. Ever.

ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #84
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Justice Scalia when a Herald reporter asked the conservative jurist his response to people who question his impartiality on matters of church and state. The gesture was made inside the Cathedral of the Holy Cross, and was reported to have said, “To my critics, I say, ‘Vaffanculo,’ ” while making the gesture. That’s Italian for f*** you.

Gotta love the underground theocracy that seems more and more to exist in this nation.

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #85
Tinny

Aye, I hate it when Christians behave contrary to how we're supposed to while still defending only the cultural part.

Redeemed!

An old school mod for jedi academy.
Tinny is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #86
StaffSaberist
DECEPTION IS FINISHED! :D

Location: The United States of America... and damn proud of it!
Me too.

Deception, the best SP level-set in the world, is done! Get it here!
"Query: What is it you wish, fat one?" - HK-47 at his best
I have begun modding TSL. Check it out here. and My Fanfic
StaffSaberist is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #87
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
So then... following this line of reasoning too far... if marriage is a civil/governmental institution, and the US constitution bans religion from interfering with government...

..does that meant that hetero-only marriages are unconstitutional?
Pardon me, but the US Constitution bans government from interfering with religion, not the other way around.

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #88
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo fett 66
Pardon me, but the US Constitution bans government from interfering with religion, not the other way around.
It prohibits the "mixing" of the two in general, the Pope can't manipulate things in Washington D.C, and the President can't manipulate things in the Vatican (or anyplace more local for that matter).

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #89
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac7142
It prohibits the "mixing" of the two in general, the Pope can't manipulate things in Washington D.C, and the President can't manipulate things in the Vatican (or anyplace more local for that matter).
Care to quote the passage in the Constitution that says that?

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #90
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Separation of church and state...

Quote:
Care to quote the passage in the Constitution that says that?
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #91
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Separation of church and state...
Not in the Constitution. Comes from Thomas Jefferson's letter to a group of Baptists in Connecticut who were concerned that the government was going to regulate their free exercise of religion.

Quote:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"
You just proved my point. The First Ammendment, as you just quoted, is about the government getting involved in establishing a State Religion or preventing people from exercising their beliefs. It does not say that religious people can have no influence over the government.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #92
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Not in the Constitution. Comes from Thomas Jefferson's letter to a group of Baptists in Connecticut who were concerned that the government was going to regulate their free exercise of religion.
The concept behind freedom of religion IS separation of church and state. The two are essentially the same thing. You can't have freedom of religion without the separation. This all goes back to the Enlightenment when things came to be secular, like the Constitution, a godless document.

Quote:
You just proved my point. The First Ammendment, as you just quoted, is about the government getting involved in establishing a State Religion or preventing people from exercising their beliefs. It does not say that religious people can have no influence over the government.
No, your point was that religion COULD get involved in government, which is not true. No law can respect a religious establishment... that's what it says. Some states in the South (the "Taliban" states that have it on the books that atheists cannot speak in court, etc.) have made efforts to make Christianity the official state religion. And it seems that our current President has tried to put as much religious doctrine in the law as possible... so much for the freedom of religion set forth by our Founding Fathers (who, for the most part, rejected religion), eh?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:49 AM   #93
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Quote:
This all goes back to the Enlightenment when things came to be secular, like the Constitution, a godless document.
Actually, ancient Israel had it long before the (so-called) Enlightenment. The Judges and then the King were not allowed to be priests.

Quote:
No, your point was that religion COULD get involved in government, which is not true.
And where does the First Ammendment say that? It is talking about what Congress can and cannot do, not what churches can and cannot do.

Quote:
so much for the freedom of religion set forth by our Founding Fathers (who, for the most part, rejected religion), eh?
I suggest you take a closer look at the personal letters of the Founding Fathers. You will learn that, despite what the public school history textbooks say, most were men strongly grounded in the Christian faith.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 AM   #94
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
And where does the First Ammendment say that? It is talking about what Congress can and cannot do, not what churches can and cannot do.
Churches cannot become involved in government... Congress shall pass no law respecting an establishment of religion. How could churches become involved in government if Congress can't be involved with them, according to the Constitution?

Quote:
I suggest you take a closer look at the personal letters of the Founding Fathers. You will learn that, despite what the public school history textbooks say, most were men strongly grounded in the Christian faith.
O rly. I challenge you to pull up some quotes showing so. Because all the quotes *I* have read prove the exact opposite.

http://www.anotherperspective.org/advoc550.html
http://www.postfun.com/pfp/worbois.html
http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/s...7/secular.html

Read all those quotes... and see if you still believe that the Founders were all good God-fearing Christians!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #95
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.

Quote:
SWEET ACTION! Appeal to tradition/history! Man I haven't had one of these fallacies in a long time.

Founding fathers were slaveowners.

Quote:
Semantics don't work here mate. First Amendment states what Congress can and cannot do yes, and it does not interfere with the operations of a church. However if a Church interferes with the operation of the government that is not Constitutional, thus Congress must uphold the First Amendment allowing equal religion for all. If one religion influences the government then religion is not equal for all.

Might I remind you that the word God is not found anywhere in the Constitution for this very reason?

By any chance Jimbo, is your name David R. Starr?

Quote:
Webster’s dictionary defines religion as “a system of beliefs and conduct”. Why can atheists have a system of beliefs and conduct (religion), but Christians cannot? I would call this censorship. You want our religion out of government so you can have your own religion in government. But, you forget that this country was founded as “One Nation Under God”! God establishes nations and he established America.

Please read the first school textbooks used across our country for the first century of our nation that were published by Noah Webster. Please then decide if you believe that the framers of the Constitution (including Webster) wanted God out of our schools and government.
Found this while googling.

That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #96
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
There's also the practical problem of just exactly WHO'S version of religion is to get incorporated into our government if we choose to go that route (or perhaps, depending on your point of view, have that path forced upon us...)

There are literally hundreds of types of Christianity in this country right now, and several different types of Judaism. And that's just the Judeo/ Christian faiths... I guess anybody not of those faiths is out of luck and will have to be officially disenfranchised and discriminated against by the ruling government for choosing the wrong path to salvation.

So... which particular strain of Christianity gets to choose what's best for all of us? Catholics? Baptists? Greek Orthodox? Mormons? Seventh-Day Adventists? Christian Scientists?

Seems to me all those groups have some fairly incompatible doctrines with each other, and if one manages to get prominence over the others that will effect how the others get to practice their faiths.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 01:22 AM   #97
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

Quote:
O rly. I challenge you to pull up some quotes showing so. Because all the quotes *I* have read prove the exact opposite.
Okay, here you go.
George Washington's personal prayer journal
Numerous Founding Fathers
John Adams' National Proclamation for a Day of Fasting and Prayer
Samuel Adams, John Hancock, John Jay, et al

I think that pretty well shows the faith of many of our Founding Fathers.

Oh, and for good measure:
Supreme Court judgement declaring, "This is a Christian nation."

Old 06-07-2006, 03:09 AM   #98
Datheus
Whosawhatnow?

Quote:
Don't forget that Deism was quite popular at this time.

Besides, so WHAT if the Founding Fathers were Christian? There is plenty of arguing amongst Christian denominations. Do you mean to imply that the Founding Father created this nation solely for Prodestants? The Founding Fathers came to the table hoping to construct a government that represented the People--NOT their god. They weren't interested in setting up a government that served their personal lives or their whims. They wanted a government that could serve the general necessities of all people.

Quote:
http://members.tripod.com/~candst/trinity.htm

And not only that, but I don't really care what the hell some judge from 1890 thought. What if America woke up tomorrow and everyone was compelled to convert to Buddhism? Would America still be a Christian nation?

Times change.
Datheus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #99
Kurgan
Headhunter

It goes back and forth, so knowing the facts helps.

People claim all the Founding Fathers were Christians, then somebody else claims none of them were Christians, etc. The truth is some of them were and some of them weren't.

Today we can say America is a "Christian nation" in the only sense we can really agree on that is a majority of Americans identify themselves as "Christian." Of course what exactly that means may vary greatly from person to person.

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 06-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #100
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

I figured you would have your quotes as well... fair enough.

There was an interesting quiz posted by Skin a while ago... I suggest you take a look at it:

http://www.ffrf.org/quiz/ffrfquiz.php

Quote:
According to that quiz: John Adams, John Q. Adams, Millard Fillmore and William H. Taft were Unitarians. Jefferson was a Deist/Freethinker. Harrison, Johnson, Grant and Hayes were not members of a church. Lincoln was a Deist.

Quote:
Strange, because here's what the United States declared in a treaty with Tripoli, ratified by Congress and signed by President Adams:

"As the government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquillity [sic] of Musselmen . . . it is declared . . . that no pretext arising from religious opinion shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."
Old 06-07-2006, 05:46 PM   #101
Darth Methos
Rookie

@TK-8252 -
I have to agree with Jimbo Fett66 on his case. A quiz holds no weight over the Consitution or Bill of Rights. What is important is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights holds steady.

Quote:
Bill of Rights
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitut...tml#amendmenti
When you are talking Founding Fathers, from the looks of things, Congress cannot force people into religion. In contradiction to that, Religion is protected by congress, and they can freely become involved with the government.

The Amendment does not say "Religion shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."
Darth Methos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #102
TK-8252
Get Cloned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMethos
A quiz holds no weight over the Consitution or Bill of Rights.
Never said it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMethos
When you are talking Founding Fathers, from the looks of things, Congress cannot force people into religion. In contradiction to that, Religion is protected by congress, and they can freely become involved with the government.

The Amendment does not say "Religion shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."
I refer you to Mike's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
Semantics don't work here mate. First Amendment states what Congress can and cannot do yes, and it does not interfere with the operations of a church. However if a Church interferes with the operation of the government that is not Constitutional, thus Congress must uphold the First Amendment allowing equal religion for all. If one religion influences the government then religion is not equal for all.
By saying that Congress can neither advance nor inhibit religion it is establishing a separation of church and state. Church cannot become involved in government and government cannot become involved in church. This is the idea behind the whole "freedom of religion" thing. To argue otherwise is to argue with Thomas Jefferson.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 PM   #103
Darth Methos
Rookie

Are you talking about Thomas Jefferson's personal ledgers? Could you please clearify?
Darth Methos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #104
Kurgan
Headhunter

As long as we're talking about the American founding fathers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundin..._United_States

Also, rccar328, congratulations on your (upcoming or current) marriage.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #105
rccar328
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
Also, rccar328, congratulations on your (upcoming or current) marriage.
Thanks...it's coming up fast, two weeks from Saturday.

I can't wait.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
~John F. Kennedy

True Conservatism

rccar328 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #106
Tinny

w00t, upcoming rccar329, rccar 330, and rccar 331 baby triplets.

Redeemed!

An old school mod for jedi academy.
Tinny is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #107
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
16 out of 21!

Quote:
Congratulations! You scored 16 correct out of 21!

14 - 17: Congratulations! Better informed than most Americans

It should've had an option to inform the site you were non-American. From the form underneath it I gathered it was intended for Americans only.

Oh well, I've lived in the States, so I almost count.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > The Separation of Church and State