lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Are all the space maps really the same,judge for yourself
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
jake123456
Rookie

Thumbs down Are all the space maps really the same,judge for yourself

If you look at the pictures of planets on the official website, you will see that almost every planet, if not every single one, has a bunch of asteroids next to it. It seems to me like almost the same map but with a different picture painted in the back. Personally i don't want to have asteroids in space next to every planet, i think it is not realistic and stupid.
jake123456 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
Delphi-PG
Rookie

Your wish is my command! But, since we had forseen this post, we adjusted the maps many months ago.

Delphi
Lead Game Designer (EAW: Forces of Corruption)
Petroglyph
Delphi-PG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
jake123456
Rookie

thats really greate news, so you mean to say that the maps actually were changed from the ones seen on the pictures of the official website?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #4
Delphi-PG
Rookie

Many have been tweaked. One thing we did find was that open space maps were pretty darn boring, so we limited these to just a few for variety. Every map is different some contain asteroids, space junk, open, nebulas and a mix.

For the future, if you guys had ideas on space like obstacles we could add, let us know.

Delphi
Lead Game Designer (EAW: Forces of Corruption)
Petroglyph
Delphi-PG is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
jake123456
Rookie

ok, thanks for the response!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:41 AM   #6
darthfergie
Q-38 Modulator

LFN Staff Member 
well...

1. there's always the Golan defense platforms. I was dissapointed that they weren't announced originally. Arn't really space obstacles but they are semi fixed obstacles of destruction.
2. Satellites...
3. Civilian traffic to the planet...

darthfergie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #7
endurell
Rookie

I would suggest wreckage from former battles ^_^

------------------------------------------------------
Viva la Wisconsin!
endurell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 01:42 AM   #8
Admiral Sith

dumped cargo loads from destroyed ships

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Admiral Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 04:26 AM   #9
edmendduke55555
Rookie

BLACK HOLES!!! XD
edmendduke55555 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 04:59 AM   #10
Jabbas WhOr3

Ewoks!
Floating ewoks that fell out of spaceships.

Ok not really. But I agree that plain ol space battles would indeed be quite boring that is for sure! I liked the idea of spicing things up with some roids and nebs.

I would like perhaps to see old abandoned large space stations that cannot be destroyed but must be traversed around. Perhaps just the edge of a planet running down the side of the map, with it atmosphere glowing and maybe damaging small ships that enter it.
Space junk is good, as well as sats earth has lots of sats orbiting around it so I would well imagine a place like Corusant having thousands?
Jabbas WhOr3 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 06:38 AM   #11
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Black holes would be intereasting... Sort of the equivilant of the ground base indiginous wildlife (Such as Ranchor). Something I would think intereasting is asteroid fields that are high in explosive material, meaning if you fire to close to one it will set off a deadly chain reaction. This would mean you would have to be real careful. May not be too fun in multiplayer, but it would make for an intereasting single player mission.

> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator
popcorn2008 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 06:39 AM   #12
silenceko
Lurker

a bright star would be nice, he jams the scanners and the shotaccuray of lasers gets decreased
silenceko is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 08:11 AM   #13
Darth_Extas

Someone probably already mentioned the ruins of space battles as one,
An Idea would be ruined Star Destroyers that are just hanging around as another object in the way and if any ships get to near mainly if they are fighters they could die. On that note you could have them explosive if a curtain amount of lasers/ships/missles hit it. The explosion should damage fighters/capitol ships within a curtain radius of course. It could work with ruined capitol ships and space stations that are found above the planet. Someone had already mentioned space traffic and satalites already. I would even more like to see if when a transport ship is destroyed, maybe a few stormtooper/rebel trooper rifles flying out and if a ship passes through them a tiny bit of damage against them, although this is only on a curtain condition that there are storm troopers in that transport.

Sig made by Princess Lyla

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=20872

The Sith will always be around as long as there is hate in the Galaxy.

Dark Hands of the Empire(Clan Member)
Darth_Extas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
Athanasios
Forumite

Geez, guys, you must be kidding with the black holes . They're not just a small "hole" on the space map, like your hands washer's one, they're (most based scientific opinion) planets with tremendous gravity where even photons are captured, since the main characteristic of black holes is the huge emmision of X-ray (which derives from the extreme speed the photons gain until they crash on planets terrain)......all the rest about "jump to history/future" are ****** of some people out there and not scientists'.......

So, no space station can be constructed "near" a black hole (unless "near" means some millions year lights away ), nor can it be used as obstacle.

The best eye-candy features that in my humble opinion were good to see are (the ones that already proposed):

1. Left cargos
2. Debris of older battles
3. Ewoks

Well, i don't know what the Golan defence system is, that's why i don't comment on this...

In the backround, we could have:

1. Bright stars (as silenceko said) mainly causing shot accuracy decrease, whereas an
2. exploiding nova (going red -> white etc and finally exploiding) causing short system interference
3. A black hole , but so as to look very very very away, for the reasons mentioned above.

Honestly, i wouldn't like just plain space maps or just only asteroids. Yet, im looking mostly on the ground maps; who can expect to grab all those 40 different maps and explore every single inch of them??!
Athanasios is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 08:24 AM   #15
Darth_Extas

actually by the size of them, it would be fairly easy to fully explore the maps. I have been able to do that a for a long time now. Getting all 40 maps is the real challenge.

Sig made by Princess Lyla

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=20872

The Sith will always be around as long as there is hate in the Galaxy.

Dark Hands of the Empire(Clan Member)
Darth_Extas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #16
Athanasios
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Extas
actually by the size of them, it would be fairly easy to fully explore the maps. I have been able to do that a for a long time now. Getting all 40 maps is the real challenge.
Yup, even some planets with otherwise no point of existence, such as Dagobah, shouldn't be included. They don't give many credits or a crusial bonus tech. Still, those maps will be great places of pure "troop wars", since big vehicles will have hard time moving on their surface.

Of course, this doesn't mean that space maps should be dumped or paid little attention.
Athanasios is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #17
RC2080
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn2008
Black holes would be intereasting... Sort of the equivilant of the ground base indiginous wildlife (Such as Ranchor). Something I would think intereasting is asteroid fields that are high in explosive material, meaning if you fire to close to one it will set off a deadly chain reaction. This would mean you would have to be real careful. May not be too fun in multiplayer, but it would make for an intereasting single player mission.

How about those giant worm thingys in Empire Strikes Back? :P

RC2080 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #18
sven8136
Rookie

Heres some Space stuff:
1. Meteroids (smaller than asteroids, but these tend to move very fast, so this would be a moving obsticle around the map, getting into them would result in shield/ship damage, as they can go 20,000+ m/s easy in space)

2. Comets, this could be a larger obsticle. If it happened to get in the way of your Super Star Destroyer, things could get nasty :\

3. On blackholes..in the background would be realistic. Even if a planet is circling a blackhole, it can still take millions of years for the planet to get sucked in. A blackhole would not just appear randomly and as a very small size in space.

4. Space Debris.. More Player built Satellites.. Orbital Defensive Systems.. those would all be good.

5. Maybe there is some type of "space" creature that some planets/asteroid clusters might have lingering around.

6. Small moons maybe? Could be more like in orbit around the moon fighting rather than the main planet. From what I have seen of space battles with the planet in the background, the location for 'orbit' around the planet doesn't appear to be correct. Orbit is closer to the planet. For earth its like 200-250 miles up. Perhaps scale it based on earth's orbital pattern? Or, you could sit there and determine the mass of each planet, the radius, and use the law of gravity to calculate your orbital range.
sven8136 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #19
GhOsT-Jedi
Rookie

Location: Past the outer rims of the universe training my sith armies.
Not really space items per say. But I want the sace units to stop flying into each other... They seem to over lap everytime they get near each other, like fighters and things like that, and bombers just fly right through the space station lol.

Anyways I think wreckage from a earlyer battle would be nice as well. But when a unit gets destroyed, their wreckage blows up before the battle ends, So could there really be any wreckage if it explodes?

Maybe some cilivilain transports flying around, like near corasant?

Is being able to blow up bigger astroids a possiblity? Like blowing up on that is keeping your ISD/Mon Cal from going through it?

GhOsT-Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 10:56 AM   #20
Matthes
Rookie

my proposals:

1) civilian traffic that may also be affected and also maybe interfere in the battle like the neutrals on the planets (maybe some bounty hunters going for heros or undercover anti-empire factions)

2) golan... a must-be

3) wrecks... doesn't matter if they come from actual battles or if they are quite old (for example ships like the leviathan from KotOR or stations from the trading guild from EP1 or old republic cruisers)

4) mine fields as a remain from old wars
you could either navigate around it or shoot one mine to start a chain reaction and blow up the whole minefield (but that would alarm the enemy)
or you could lure the enemy into it (maybe the smallest fighters, for example a-wings are not affected)

5) not directly in the space maps, but what about some events during traveling between two planets like for example "you have been attacked by pirates and lost x credits" (only credits, no ship losses) or as an opposite "you have discovered a hidden pirate cargo bay and found x credits"

6) maybe a bit weird... but what about dead crew members / droids? at least during the battle. i mean, what happens if a capital ship breaks apart or the hull gets damaged on several spots (while it is not destroyed completely? the atmosphere would break down and the crew members are sucked out

what i would not like to see are mynocks... hate those thingies
but i like the idea of the living asteroid thing
like a sandworm from dune, if a small fighter passes a big "infected" asteroid too close, the sandworm eventually eats it
Matthes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #21
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthes
4) mine fields as a remain from old wars
"Tommy, can you get us closer to those mines?"
"CLOSER?!"

...sorry, but I had to do that!

Space junk is a good idea, and asteroids or small moons that actually move across the map are a neat idea, too! They could change the tactical situation within the timespace of a battle, increasing replayability. Space slugs might be fun hazards, too. You could also have planetary ring systems--basically, long thin lines of very fine asteroids. Additional space station slots for golan platforms and mine fields would be a great way to defend a planet without committing a fleet, and could work basically just like turbolaser towers in land maps.

Black holes could not be on a map. The large ones are too large to fit on one of these maps, and the small ones actually have greater tidal forces, pulling objects in faster, making them silly to have in such close proximity to a planet. Other astronomical events, like supernovae, happen on too slow a timescale to be present as dynamic objects in the background. It would be neat to see a wide range of static texture backdrops in the sky, a la Homeworld--though one of the cool things about Star Wars is that all the battles take place in open space.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 12:05 PM   #22
Matthes
Rookie

that gave me the idea
but my theory is more like cloaked minefields
in the movie, they made the mines following them due to the magnetic effect and came very close to the enemy
i though of luring them into invisible mines

or maybe some nebula-only maps where the sensors / shields don't work like in freespace or star trek (i think it was the second movie where they played "catch me in the nebula", both ships completely blind)
freespace also had that quite interesting mission in the end where you play and fight (as a small one man fighter) against a capital capital ship "inside" of a hyperspacejump
but i think the "jumping" from freespace bases on a different technology, in star wars, it only looks like a tunnel (hm... wonder how it looks if you would look to the side while at lightspeed they always looked forward in the movies)

or... nah this is just too...
ok here we go
indoor space
imagine Kuat would have built some kind of "hidden" (hard to do that in the size that i expect ) huuuuuuuuuuuuge (experimental) shipyard that could contain several eclipse-class SDs or several deathstars...
well, maybe this is already too big, but it should be at least at the size of several caps
and even though it never existed in the "official" storyline: hey, it's our fantasy

Last edited by Matthes; 02-02-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:24 PM   #23
boc120
Rookie

I'm liking the golan idea. Especially since it was related to the ground turbolasers idea. Throw in just about anything that will change up the battles and make things more interesting, as long as its not too far-out and silly. (no giant pink flying rancors)
boc120 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #24
shadowsfm

id like to battle in orbit ar a star with solor flares bursting every now and then destroying ships.

id like more planets where ground combat is too dangeres, so ya got to settle it in atmaspher combat.

i like the black holes in star wars galaxies kessel space, where they are big and detailed, but ar realy only moving background objects. but i dont mind if it sucks a ship up if it gets too close.

a comet, where if a ship gets in the way, boom! or even a meter shower.

a giant ship or space station, where fighters and corvets can manuver through, like starcraft ficility missions

how about navagating through a planet like the lost in space movie, or the andramada episode with hollow magog planets.

star wars ships can do combat under water right?
shadowsfm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #25
Matthes
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowsfm
i like the black holes in star wars galaxies kessel space, where they are big and detailed, but ar realy only moving background objects. but i dont mind if it sucks a ship up if it gets too close.

a giant ship or space station, where fighters and corvets can manuver through, like starcraft ficility missions

star wars ships can do combat under water right?
right, kessel... imagine the scenario from the book introducing Daala, Kyp Durron and the Sun Crusher (don't remember the english title right now) where they are inside a black hole (if i remember right )

can they? i don't think so
i think there are some (ground)units that can be tweaked to be able to swim

but under water... maybe some old republic units (seen in Clone Wars Vol. I on Mon Cal)
Old 02-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #26
Ryebread
Rookie

Moving asteroid fields that can damage/destroy ships would be great. Large ones can even be targeted and when they break apart debris flies in all directions to causing damage. So a big asteroid could be used for defense to block incoming shots, but could be turned against you if it is blown up.

Capital ships will automatically fire on incoming asteroids unless given other attack orders. When hit their shields will be reduced and once shields are down the hull takes damage. Fighters/bombers are destroyed immediately if hit but their manueverability usually keeps them safe. This would allow the Millennium Falcon to fly into an asteroid field to evade tie fighters just like in TESR.
Ryebread is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #27
shadowsfm

i ment give space an under water back ground, not have x wings in lakes in ground maps

though, they did say you could mod in boats and subs, but how would you get them from the drop zone into the water?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #28
Matthes
Rookie

@shadowsfm: well, maybe by setting a drop zone in the water? or by amphibious abilities (able to move on land and on / under water)
Old 02-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #29
Ryebread
Rookie

With the exception of the Battle of Mon Calimari I don't think there are any large scale water battles to speak of in Star Wars lore. I'd prefer to see other enhancements before water battles are considered.
Ryebread is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #30
Ali1392
Rookie

what about stars i havent seen any i even on the campane map
Ali1392 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #31
Slocket

Make space conditions effect the effectiveness of ships weapons, speed, and missles.

Similiar to how the planet land battle weather effect units for variety.

Example, strong EM radiation from the sun causes missles to have have a horrible hit rate.

Another is due to so much junk orbiting the space area, small fast fighters are impossible to launch (or must move very slowly).

Another one, the sun gives off so much radiant heat, the hull on ship continously degrade while in battle.

Or how about the planet's magnetic field is so strong, all laser fire is refracted away making them only 50% effective.
Slocket is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #32
shadowsfm

space dust efecting accracy
Old 02-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #33
Slocket

Hot Radioactive Zones that slowly kill off Hero Units, or just does not allow them on the map. (like all good 'politicians' they conviently excuse themselves from battle to let the grunts do the dirty work).
Slocket is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #34
Darth Alec
Forumite

An astoroid field that moves, just like in ESB. These could also be used for defensive porpuses, hiding behind an astorois field so that they have to go and get you.....

I am a High Admiral of the Imperial fleet.

Serving the Empire is my destiny, and only Sidious is my lord.

Two starwars parodys...

Starwars gangsta rap

Robot chicken
Darth Alec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #35
Rok_stoned

Current Game: Life.
My ideas:

First the Exploding asteroids: Popcorn , thats an aweesome idea (spelling error intended). too bad you beat me too it...

second, what about big ol' asteroids that go rolloin' 'round the map bowling over any ship unlucky enough to cross its path. Also maybe these asteriods could be destroyed and or you can't see around them due to high concentrations of metals

And black holes could be made in this. I know this can't happen in real life but... this is Star Wars, this is the universe where a group of religious monks use magic, laser bolts go slower than bullets (and theres such thing as a laser bolt) and sound travels through space.

Rok_stoned is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #36
shadowsfm

and star fighter manuver like jet fighters
Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #37
Admiral Sith

How about for the exploding astroids you make them barely distinguishable from regular ones, that way if you forget to look for that trait, BOOM.

"Okay lets evade them by going into that astroid field."

"Yes, sir"

*Imperial Pilots snicker*

"We are almost there, Imperial pursuit breaking off"

"Wait these astroids have a higher ma...........................

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Admiral Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #38
Rok_stoned

Current Game: Life.
Oh. Oh. Oh. Iv'e got an idea: what if there was like an opposite of astroid field like one made of small shards of rock that hurt fighters but are too small to hurt C. ships

Rok_stoned is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #39
shadowsfm

magnetic fields and repulser fields
Old 02-03-2006, 12:52 PM   #40
boc120
Rookie

too bad this topic didn't come up until just about the time that the game went gold. I think that many of these ideas are really good and would spice things up a bit in space. Hopefully either a patch or modders can incorporate some of these ideas
boc120 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > Are all the space maps really the same,judge for yourself