lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Who will you play as in KoTOR 3?
Revan 89 28.80%
Exile 19 6.15%
A completely new character 201 65.05%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Who do you want to play as in KoTOR 3?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-06-2006, 02:36 AM   #41
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
^^^^
We will be playing a new level one PC, no amount of ideas for having us play Revan or the Exile again are acceptable, seriously.

You can type all the justifications you want for our playing Revan or the Exile again but it just isn't done. If it were we done then we would have played Revan in TSL and the Exile would have never been, but it isn't done, you just don't continue characters like this, so we will have a new PC in KotOR III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Malak
Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone.
Revan as a PC is written out with this one line... Revan is nothing. So is the Exile actually, the Exiles un-importance was hinted to by Kreia if I'm not mistaken. (I'm sure Shem can find the line for this )

Such is the way of these kinds of RPG's and why Malak said this line. It leaves the next part of the story open to a new character.

We will hear about Revan and the Exile's fates/futures as we progress through KotOR III via dialogues, datapads, etc., but you better not expect much more or else you will set yourself up for a great disappointment.

I understand that this is important to you, and I'm not saying anyones ideas are bad or anything, but this just isn't a viable option for a developer to consider.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #42
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
We will be playing a new level one PC, no amount of ideas for having us play Revan or the Exile again are acceptable, seriously.
By whose judgement?

Quote:
You can type all the justifications you want for our playing Revan or the Exile again but it just isn't done. If it were we done then we would have played Revan in TSL and the Exile would have never been, but it isn't done, you just don't continue characters like this, so we will have a new PC in KotOR III.
I believe I said this before, but I will say it again:

Take a look at the story of KOTOR 2... Many things point out that both of those guys are in the center of the story. If Obisidan didn't make KOTOR 2 like this, with the Sith Empire that is supposed to be defeated before they destroy everything, I wouldn't be complaining now and everything would be fine.

Obsidian made this mess... They will have to clean it up. No offense.

Quote:
Revan as a PC is written out with this one line... Revan is nothing. So is the Exile actually, the Exiles un-importance was hinted to by Kreia if I'm not mistaken.
What? Are you saying that these two guys were for nothing? They are the protagnists. The entire series so far is focused on these two.

Quote:
Such is the way of these kinds of RPG's and why Malak said this line. It leaves the next part of the story open to a new character.
I know that it is the way of RPGs. But the way TSL was ended, I doubt that it will be able to do it as it was written.

Quote:
We will hear about Revan and the Exile's fates/futures as we progress through KotOR III via dialogues, datapads, etc., but you better not expect much more or else you will set yourself up for a great disappointment.
It's not too late. But if it happens, I'll deal with it.

Quote:
but this just isn't a viable option for a developer to consider.
That hurts.
Vladimir-Vlada is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 06:16 AM   #43
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir-Vlada
By whose judgement?
If they were going to have a continuing character we would have been Revan in TSL.

Quote:
I believe I said this before, but I will say it again:

Take a look at the story of KOTOR 2... Many things point out that both of those guys are in the center of the story. If Obisidan didn't make KOTOR 2 like this, with the Sith Empire that is supposed to be defeated before they destroy everything, I wouldn't be complaining now and everything would be fine.

Obsidian made this mess... They will have to clean it up. No offense.
Obsidian made no mess, as a matter of fact after reading the cut content, I can start to see the method to their madness, from a plot perspective they left all the right doors open for a bang-up third installment. Is there a lot unanswered? Yes there is, and it was intentional.

Finding out what happend will be how we are drawn into the next chapter.

Quote:
What? Are you saying that these two guys were for nothing? They are the protagnists. The entire series so far is focused on these two.
So will our third PC become a focus... just like the Exile in TSL.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
Old 02-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #44
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

Quote:
Obsidian made no mess, as a matter of fact after reading the cut content, I can start to see the method to their madness, from a plot perspective they left all the right doors open for a bang-up third installment. Is there a lot unanswered? Yes there is, and it was intentional.
Of course there was a lot left unanswered. And some of these questions directly connect to both Revan and the Exile (although most concern the Exile, because there are more questions concerning him).

How did the Exile become this echo in the Force? Was it really Malachor V?
Why did the Sith Lords strive so hard to destory or turn the Exile that they went into their death?
What is the point of killing one, if you are going to die yourself?
Did the Sith Lords act on their behalf or by orders?

So many questions, so few answeres that raise even more questions.

Quote:
So will our third PC become a focus... just like the Exile in TSL.
How? It was easy with the Exile. He was neceseary. But now it is too entangled and complex. How can you hope to insert another character if the previous one (two) are so involved in the entire thing already?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:51 AM   #45
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Of course there was a lot left unanswered. And some of these questions directly connect to both Revan and the Exile (although most concern the Exile, because there are more questions concerning him).

How did the Exile become this wound in the Force? Was it really Malachor V? Yes, and it was because of the natural Force Bonds the Exile formed with others, with so much death at Malachor V it hurt the Exile in unimaginable ways, enough that the Exile cut him/her self off from the force.
Why did the Sith Lords strive so hard to destory or turn the Exile that they went into their death? Kreia led/tricked them into what she wanted them to do. She turned them into a test for the Exile.
What is the point of killing one, if you are going to die yourself? You lost me there.
Did the Sith Lords act on their behalf or by orders? Kreia was manipulating the whole thing.

After reading this it is apparent you haven't played TSL enough to have gotten these story points. I did post short answers in red.

You have to actually talk to Kreia at the end of the game to get closure. You also need to play the game in more than one way to discover other points, this was done on purpose as well.

I played the Xbox version 6 times through and still learned about other story points I had missed once I got the PC version.

This is the problem people have with TSL, the story isn't spoon-fed to people like KotOR I was, so they cry foul or go on about Obsidian making mistakes after they play it once and don't understand much.

Quote:
How? It was easy with the Exile. He was neceseary. But now it is too entangled and complex. How can you hope to insert another character if the previous one (two) are so involved in the entire thing already?
How would a new character be any different than the Exile was? It wouldn't. The new character would also be just as necissary.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 AM   #46
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
If they were going to have a continuing character we would have been Revan in TSL.
If Bioware was in charge of making KoTOR 2, Revan would have surely been the main character again - Obsidian is a completely different team and though they had to continue where the original story ended, they wanted to make their own vision of KoTOR which is why they came up with the Exile.
They knew no one would like a story completely unrelated to Revan, but they wanted to try telling it through their own character (and judging by the results of this poll they have failed miserably). Furthermore, though the Exile had his own story, KoTOR 2 was filled with references to Revan and his whereabouts, so KoTOR 2 in its entirety was made into a prelude for the big finish (where they could bring Revan, or the Exile back, or bring out a new character, based on how much the fans like the TSL's Exile).

Quote:
Ofcourse there's a lot of unanswered questions! Ofcourse it was intentional!
Unfortunately Obsidian did make a certain mess and by ''mess'' I'm refering to the cut out content. It's one thing to cut out some content due to a short deadline, but it's a completely different thing to launch a game that the player can clearly see is missing some things.
I heard that some content was cut out from KoTOR 1 too, but while I was playing it I never noticed it was missing anything, I had no idea anything was cut out from KoTOR 1 until I read about it somewhere on the forum.
Like I said, the mess in TSL is its VISIBLITY of its cut out content. Everyone saw that the game is missing the HK factory, the part of Nar Shaddaa docks that is visible on the map, but the doors leading there can't be opened, etc.
My point is that if they were forced to cut out some of the content, they should have adapted the story apropriately.

Last edited by igyman; 02-06-2006 at 02:37 PM.
igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #47
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman
If Bioware was in charge of making KoTOR 2, Revan would have surely been the main character again
Nope, even if Bioware had done the sequel Revan's story has been told. Continuing PC's are not parts of these types of RPG's. Revan getting his/her levels and powers taken away in each installment is really a lame thing to do. That is why it isn't done. I'm not saying it is impossible but it is close to it.

You have to cater to all your player types, and the same character alienates the Character Builder (Achiever) types, and hampers the Role Players (Socializers)... this is 2/3 of your target audience right there. The only ones who are left are the the Explorer player types, the same character over and over would also get to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman
Unfortunately Obsidian did make a certain mess and by ''mess'' I'm refering to the cut out content. It's one thing to cut out some content due to a short deadline, but it's a completely different thing to launch a game that the player can clearly see is missing some things.
I heard that some content was cut out from KoTOR 1 too, but while I was playing it I never noticed it was missing anything, I had no idea anything was cut out from KoTOR 1 until I read about it somewhere on the forum.
Like I said, the mess in TSL is its VISIBLITY of its cut out content. Everyone saw that the game is missing the HK factory, the part of Nar Shaddaa docks that is visible on the map, but the doors leading there can't be opened, etc.
My point is that if they were forced to cut out some of the content, they should have adapted the story apropriately.
Yes Obsidian didn't have time to clean up the stragglers, but this is not their fault LA was responsible for all Q&A testing, not Obsidian.

Honestly those two things you mentioned are not "Visible" cut content from TSL, the Nar-Shadaa docks don't count as elements of the game sometimes are reduced especially for a console game, perhaps too many placeables or NPC's caused Xbox slowdown. But it was nothing that made me say "missing content" when playing the game.

Neither does the HK factory levels, that is simply a door you cannot open in one part of the game, it says 'sub-level' not 'HK factory', nothing felt missing with these two things, especially with all the doors you can't open in KotOR I... it is only after reading about such things that we go "hey!"

Last edited by RedHawke; 02-06-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #48
Seamhainn
Forumite

New PC as thats the game concept, and Revan and Exile making appearances...

Anyway as KotOR III will be published, I don't care that much.

Take care
Seamhainn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 01:30 PM   #49
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Honestly those two things you mentioned are not "Visible" cut content from TSL, the Nar-Shadaa docks don't count as elements of the game sometimes are reduced especially for a console game, perhaps too many placeables or NPC's caused Xbox slowdown. But it was nothing that made me say "missing content" when playing the game.

Neither does the HK factory levels, that is simply a door you cannot open in one part of the game, it says 'sub-level' not 'HK factory', nothing felt missing with these two things, especially with all the doors you can't open in KotOR I... it is only after reading about such things that we go "hey!"
Sorry, but Nar Shadaa counts since you can clearly see on the map that there is something behind those doors. I'm saying that since they've cut that part of the docks out, they should have removed it from the map - that isn't such a complicated job and doesn't require more than 15 minutes of somebody's time.

The same goes for the Telos sublevel - you can't open that door even though the map shows that it leads to a new area. I agree though that you can't be sure the HK factory is there, unless you've read about it on a forum, but you can be sure that something is there (should have been there) and you can't visit it.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #50
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

Quote:
How did the Exile become this wound in the Force? Was it really Malachor V? Yes, and it was because of the natural Force Bonds the Exile formed with others, with so much death at Malachor V it hurt the Exile in unimaginable ways, enough that the Exile cut him/her self off from the force.
Why did the Sith Lords strive so hard to destory or turn the Exile that they went into their death? Kreia led/tricked them into what she wanted them to do. She turned them into a test for the Exile.
What is the point of killing one, if you are going to die yourself? You lost me there.
Did the Sith Lords act on their behalf or by orders? Kreia was manipulating the whole thing.

Yes, I understand all this. But why would she test the Exile? Tests are made to prepare people for something. Kreia was obviously preparing the Exile for something. And would she really go that far, even though it would kill her? She may be devious. But she's definately not a lunatic.

Quote:
How would a new character be any different than the Exile was? It wouldn't. The new character would also be just as necissary.
Actually, it would. Look at the endings of KOTOR 1 and 2:
After KOTOR 1, it was obvious that Revan can't be the PC in the squel. His work for some time is done.
After KOTOR 2, the only one that could continue the began story is the Exile. Inserting another character would make the Exile's story pointless and entire Obisidan's work on TSL's story for nothing.

I think I am starting to understand how you see things. Even though you are right about a lot of things, I think that none we came to a point where we can't really say which continuation is the one that should be done:

We can't insert the Exile or Revan, because they are already level 20.
We can't insert another character, because the first two are tied too deeply into this.

This looks like a situation where we are in a maze. We dig our own way through, but we reached a wall that blocks us from the exit and each other.
If you ask me, I think that it's now up to Obisidan. It's not our decision anymore.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #51
igyman
Tension!

No it's not our decision, but it doesn't have to be necessarily Obsidian's decision either.
I mean there's no guarantee that Obsidian will even be the one to possibly make KoTOR 3.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #52
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

I know that. But since we can't decide (mainly because both sides have good reasons), I think that Obisidan (or Bioware or both) should decide on it.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #53
igyman
Tension!

They should and they will, but they should bear in mind what most of the fans want.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #54
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

Yes, I know. But if you look around the forum a little... You'll see that it is pretty much divided into half.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #55
Eelyn Tikalm
Rookie

Location: Croatia (if you don't know-that's that small state east to Italy)
Hey, who would like to play Revan in KOTOR3, but with the story placed in the time just before KOTOR1? It'd be fun to see what made Revan turn to the dark side, and we could see Kreia (she trained Revan)?? I know that the realisation of this idea isn't not possible, and the future of the Revan would be defined already, but still...?

Ej Vladimire mi smo susjedi
Eelyn Tikalm is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #56
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

O, i ti si sa ovih prostora? Pozdrav brate. I igyman je sa ovih prostora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelyn Tikalm
Hey, who would like to play Revan in KOTOR3, but with the story placed in the time just before KOTOR1?
Not bad. But still you have to wait for the current plot to finish. Then maybe we could think of that.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #57
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
I'm up for a new PC. I really can't see anyway clearlyas to explain why Revan/Exile is at level 1 again. I'm up for seeing them maybe be a temporary character but I just can't see it.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #58
Eelyn Tikalm
Rookie

Only me and somebody else have voted for Exile. I liked the Exile character and story more than the Revan story.
We all know that they'll put a new char in KOTOR3, that's how the RPGs are. You have to start from a scratch. That's sad. I mean, you just get into the char, and then you have to do that all over again in the next game sequal with the new one.

Btw Vladimire, trebao si reći pozdrav sestro
Drago mi je vidjet nekog iz blizine.

Jel razumiješ ovo...?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #59
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

{snip} These are English Language forums

Quote:
Only me and somebody else have voted for Exile. I liked the Exile character and story more than the Revan story.
I didn't vote, because I liked both Revan and the Exile. So I can't really decide.

Last edited by Darth333; 02-10-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #60
Eelyn Tikalm
Rookie

Yeah, both chars are interesting.
I've been trying to figure out what makes a character interesting. So I noticed this cliche (that I like): he/she's always got to have some big traumatic experience (Revan=memory&force power loss as an indirect result of Malak's betrayal, Exile=force power loss as a direct result of tragedies from Malachor V etc)
so I guess that the K3 new char will also have one that will force him/her to start from scratch. I rally can't wait to see what will that be.
I agree with anyone who thinks that it would be boring to see yet another reason why Revan/Exile would lose all powers or/and memory, but I'd like to have them in K3.

Jel razumiješ ovo...?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #61
igyman
Tension!

I'm glad to see more and more different opinions and though I want Revan, I'm still glad the Exile is starting to get some votes.

Last edited by Darth333; 02-10-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #62
Eelyn Tikalm
Rookie

{snip} These are English language forums

It would be fun to play with both Revan and Exile, and a new PC in K3. I wouldn't mind chosing all the feats, skills, f powers etc all over again for them at the begining of the game.

Jel razumiješ ovo...?

Last edited by Darth333; 02-10-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #63
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

Quote:
It would be fun to play with both Revan and Exile, and a new PC in K3.
I wish that it happens.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #64
igyman
Tension!

I'm not sure how that can be done, but who knows?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:03 PM   #65
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Simple. The plot alternates between the two people, like scenes in a film or a TV show. "Act 1", the Exile sets off. "Act 2", Revan is stuck in a dungeon, maybe? Eventually, both characters meet, and you decide which to leave behind...?

Frankly the argument "an old PC re-appearing makes no sense in terms of plot" is not really an argument. Neither is yet *another* Jedi anointed by fate/the Force/whatever, to save or condemn the Republic. Neither argument is stronger.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #66
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious
Simple. The plot alternates between the two people, like scenes in a film or a TV show. "Act 1", the Exile sets off. "Act 2", Revan is stuck in a dungeon, maybe? Eventually, both characters meet, and you decide which to leave behind...?

Frankly the argument "an old PC re-appearing makes no sense in terms of plot" is not really an argument. Neither is yet *another* Jedi anointed by fate/the Force/whatever, to save or condemn the Republic. Neither argument is stronger.
I strongly support and agree with everything Darth InSidious said.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:38 PM   #67
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Why would I want to spend a good chunk of the game to develop a character only to have to ditch him for the rest of the game? And remember, a lot of people got upset with TSL when they were forced to use another character...

Quote:
But Star Wars is riddled with characters that have a huge affect on the galaxy at large. The whole "character reset" thing is much more cliche.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #68
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
you're right, neither arguement is stronger. however, you're still not completely on track. it would be difficult to come up with yet another excuse to explain why Revan or the Exile has lost their abilities and has to re-develop them. yes, it is possible, but it would be a bit too cliche for most players.

if you start with a new character, you're only limited to the writer's vision for the character. in other words, the sky's the limit.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #69
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
And remember, a lot of people got upset with TSL when they were forced to use another character...
Yes. But the way Obisidan constructed the story, the only way to continue it, is through the characters about which it was always talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs
you're right, neither arguement is stronger. however, you're still not completely on track. it would be difficult to come up with yet another excuse to explain why Revan or the Exile has lost their abilities and has to re-develop them.
I know that it is hard to determine that. I said that several posts above. It was easy to insert the Exile. That was the only course of action at the time. But think how hard it will be to insert a new character NOW. Obsidian constructed it for Revan and the Exile (or just the Exile). I can't really see a place for a new character.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #70
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
That's a concept used in Legacy of Kain Defiance, the only difference is that there wasn't a point in the game where you can chose which character will you use to finish the game. The only thing is that LoK Defiance wasn't a RPG, it was an action adventure.

It's a good idea though and it would be interesting to see it realized in a RPG, but I don't think it will be done.

Last edited by igyman; 02-07-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #71
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
I can't really see a place for a new character.
Me neither.

P.S. I know I've bored a lot of people to death by repeating this over and over, but I just had to do it again (and will probably continue to do so).

Old 02-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #72
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Why would I want to spend a good chunk of the game to develop a character only to have to ditch him for the rest of the game? And remember, a lot of people got upset with TSL when they were forced to use another character...
*shrugs* If you don't like that character, then don't. The point is you choose. Anyway, it was just a suggestion.
Quote:
But Star Wars is riddled with characters that have a huge affect on the galaxy at large. The whole "character reset" thing is much more cliche.
Over a long period of time. You don't generally get a long string of people saving and destroying the Republic constantly, do you? You don't find that Naga Sadow's apprentice then seeks a shadow war with the Jedi, or that Ulic Qel-Droma's half-brother seeks vengeance and then destroys Cinnagar, do you?

@stinger: you are limited by the fact that they have to be as 1337 as Revan and the Exile. You are limited by the necessity for this character's backstory, for the reason we have this brand new character, etc etc. Neither situation is especially practical.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 02-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #73
Timberwolf 21
Lurker

I voted for Revan because it"s my childish desire after playiing Kotor ( my favorite game ever ) but I know that I would equally enjoy Kotor 3 if Obsidian or Bioware decides to create any other character or continue the story with exile,.It"s up to their good will and patience with creating the game with quality of its predecessory and creating the story which would be interesting and loveble to play.I just cant wait to play Kotor 3 what ever will be

Last edited by Darth333; 02-10-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Timberwolf 21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #74
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

Jos jedan? E sad smo svi na okupu.

I think I proved my point after several posts.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #75
igyman
Tension!

{snip}English please -d3

Thanks for giving Revan your vote (That'll show those new character supporters!!).

Last edited by Darth333; 02-10-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #76
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Quote:
@stinger: you are limited by the fact that they have to be as 1337 as Revan and the Exile. You are limited by the necessity for this character's backstory, for the reason we have this brand new character, etc etc. Neither situation is especially practical.
practical: no. essential: yes.

to change the format of the character you play is not something that's very desireable in the gaming industry. consistancy is the name of the game when it comes to sequels. in this case, it is essential that whoever the PC is has a definate backstory and a reasonable excuse for having (or lack there of) the abilities they have. its also a reasonable requirement that the PC be a very powerful character since that has been the established standard of the two previous games.

like it or not, whoever develop's Kotor 3 is very likely to abide by those established necessities just because it is a sequel.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #77
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Quote:
practical: no. essential: yes.

to change the format of the character you play is not something that's very desireable in the gaming industry. consistancy is the name of the game when it comes to sequels. in this case, it is essential that whoever the PC is has a definate backstory and a reasonable excuse for having (or lack there of) the abilities they have. its also a reasonable requirement that the PC be a very powerful character since that has been the established standard of the two previous games.

like it or not, whoever develop's Kotor 3 is very likely to abide by those established necessities just because it is a sequel.
Y'know, these arguments can be applied the other way around. Bringing Revan back would create a link between the three games.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #78
Timberwolf 21
Lurker

I agree,but no character will be ever powerfull as Revan was ( and is ?!)
His storyline was most interesting and most schocking ( the cut-scene in Kotor 1 where you find out that you"re Revan is one of most powerfull moments in PC Games
I was very much suprised,it was totally unpredictable
Timberwolf 21 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2006, 09:35 PM   #79
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Really? You must have been oblivious to the hints given to you along the way before the revelation. Anyways I said a new PC because I just can't find a justified reason for bringing in Revan as the Pc. Should there be some mentionof him? Yes because it would complete the storyline, the same for the Exile because he's connected somehow to the whole thing that began in the Mandalorian Wars.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #80
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Quote:
Y'know, these arguments can be applied the other way around. Bringing Revan back would create a link between the three games.
to which i quote my own post...
Quote:
it would be difficult to come up with yet another excuse to explain why Revan or the Exile has lost their abilities and has to re-develop them. yes, it is possible, but it would be a bit too cliche for most players.
you have to understand that i'm looking at this from two perspectives: first the development and writing process. second, i'm looking at how both the hardcore and the average gamer are going to perceive things.

from the developer/writer's standpoint, creating a new character makes more sense because you aren't limited to an established charater. you also aren't constrained to explain why a character has suddenly lost not only their powers, but also whatever they stood for (in this case being lightside or darkside).

from a gamer's perspective, a more cohesive and reasonable storyline is what makes the difference. in this case, you really can't use amnesia since its been done. you can't use being shut off from the Force because that's been done. you also can't look backwards and try to use Revan's or the Exile's backstory because we already know the backstory to those characters. so, now you really aren't left with much options unless those options include the insane and over-the-top ideas, and quite frankly, hardly anybody that goes through Kotor 3's storyline is going to want that.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Who do you want to play as in KoTOR 3?