lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Where are you all from?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
Gabez

Where are you all from?

I'm interested to know!

I'm from Oxford, England... but I go to University in Aberystwyth, Wales.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
The high-quality Mansfield in Nottinghamshire, England, UK. ;

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
QueZTone
mind il creativo

Utrecht, The Netherlands

nice video of our famous Dom Tower, right here

and another nice video of walking buildings in Utrecht, our city's so alive <-- u gotta see this one

QueZTone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #4
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

London! England!

Originally from Lancashire, North England.

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
s-island
Music man

The International House of Mojo Staff 
Dung land, Norway!

-Zaarin
s-island is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
JBRAA
Likes Mojo ;)

South in Sweden.

JBRAA is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
Look at my location. ¬

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
I've lived in Orange County, California, USA for about 8 years now, but I grew up in Bellingham, Washington, USA.

...woo!

spoiler:
Check out that tableless XHTML 1.1 design! I'm so proud of me old hometown.

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #9
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

Thibodaux, Louisiana. Attend LSU in Baton Rouge.
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
Valkian
Loves Razputin.net!

Current Game: Snatcher
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Mixnmojo: "No matter where are you from, you'll always be at home."

Valkian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
I'm another one from the strangely large bunch of northerners that the LucasArts community has amassed. From the right side of the pennines, of course. Which is in fact on the left of the pennines, unless you're looking from Scotland or something.

Which is to say: Preston, Lancashire.

I actually had a whole existential episode the other day about what 'home' is, and that it isn't really where I grew up or where my parents live just by default anymore. Am I homeless? No. But I have become transient. Currently I live in Cheltenham.

I feel like I have to keep typing, but this is already way too much. Sorry everyone!

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 06:03 AM   #12
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince

Current Game: Not TFU2
As you know Gabez but others might not, I'm in Oxford, England too!

The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
neon_git

I normally tend to say I'm from London, but actually I'm from a small town just outside called Chesham. Stephen Fry used to live there!

I also currently go to university in Aberystwyth.

You mean the way the sea stays steady as a rock and the buildings keep washing up and down? Yes I thought that was odd.
neon_git is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Gabez

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTee
I actually had a whole existential episode the other day about what 'home' is, and that it isn't really where I grew up or where my parents live just by default anymore. Am I homeless? No. But I have become transient. Currently I live in Cheltenham.
"Home is the sailor, home from sea,
And the hunter, home from the hill"

-- From Robert Louis Stevenson's eulogy.

Haggis: those photos are very beatiful! I'd love to visit Rotterdam (and the Netherlands in general). I also like your avatar!

You can see some photos I took of Aberystwyth here.

Last year I lived in Pittsburgh, Pennselvania for a spell: you can see photos I took during that time here.

And if anyone is really that interested, here. Sadly it's not as impressive as Bellingham's is -- though it is funnier. My village is large for a village (but of course small compared to a town or city) and had a very important abbey 1,00 years ago -- and we have a few ruins of that, as well as some literature and manuscripts.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
Haggis
Mojorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabez
Haggis: those photos are very beatiful! I'd love to visit Rotterdam (and the Netherlands in general). I also like your avatar!
Why thank you! I must say I enjoyed looking at your photos as well... Aberystwyth looks like a lovely place. Oh, and if you (or anyone else, for that matter) ever need a tour guide when visiting Rotterdam, I'm your man. I've got a course coming up that's called Urban History: The case of Rotterdam, so I should be able to tell you all about the city.

Haggis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #17
jp-30

A vengeful Kiwi from Auckland, New Zealand. Trying to avoid the Sam & Max bombing run.

Look, you can see my house from here (Google Earth Co-ordinates: -36.880670, 174.550000 )
jp-30 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #18
neon_git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
Aberystwyth looks like a lovely place.
Oh it's really *really* not. They import some sand for the beach over the Summer if that's your thing, but beyond that there's very little.

If you go a little way outside of the town however there is some beautiful scenery.

You mean the way the sea stays steady as a rock and the buildings keep washing up and down? Yes I thought that was odd.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:17 AM   #19
Gabez

Well, it's nice when the weather is nice! Which is once a year. Hoho!

Right now it's all wind and rain. But it has a sort of rugged beauty -- like the Yorkshire moors. And the castle is nice, and the old college -- but they're going to close the old college and turn it into a Starbucks, or something. >: >: >:

I went to Auckland once, JP -- it's very nice. It's a little bit like Wales, actually, now that I think of it! More than New South Wales is, anyway. New Zealand was very nice, and I'd love to go back.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #20
neon_git

Quote:
they're going to close the old college and turn it into a Starbucks, or something. >: >: >:
When did this happen? They can't do that! That's a disgrace! I'm also pretty sure everyones internet connection runs through there so God knows what they're going to do about that.

I used to live in Auckland for a while, such a beautiful place. I worked in a hotel on Queen Street for about six months right around when they were shooting the first Narnia film. The production crew all stayed in this hotel and I managed to get a shooting script and a cast and crew list

Old 01-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #21
Gabez

Woah, that's awesome! I love Narnia. Do you have that script with you here? Can I fondle it lovingly?

About the old college: well, it was a Cambrian News exclusive! It contains quotes from the University, though, so I think it's real. They want to move everything to the Penglais campus, which to me, feels like a Dystopian vision of the future, with its maze of roads and concrete and claustrophobic panic attacks. I don't think they want to let students know about their plans. They'll do it all in the dead of night. Honestly, I swear this university is run by Sauron.

I wrote an angry letter to Professor "invisible" Lloyd, but I wrote it on a typewriter, and the ribbon needs replacing, and I made lots of mistakes. So I seem really, really insane.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
neon_git

lol, that's hilarious. Maybe we could start a campaign of letters that look like they're from crazies who could flip out and go on a murderous rampage.

On reflection that's actually a really bad idea.

I'll have a rummage around for that script if you like, I'm sure it's knocking about somewhere ... *rummages*

Old 01-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #23
Haggis
Mojorator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_git
Oh it's really *really* not. They import some sand for the beach over the Summer if that's your thing, but beyond that there's very little.

If you go a little way outside of the town however there is some beautiful scenery.
I guess I did mean the scenery. At least the pictures are nice (love the ones with the swan, by the way - how did you get so close, Gabez?)!

Old 01-13-2008, 02:37 PM   #24
Gabez

I'm just naturally attractive to swans -- always have been. Thought it may have been looking for food. I just crouched down and was quiet.

Thanks for saying that the pictures are nice -- I took them all on a cheap camera I bought from Walmart in Pittsburgh, which just goes to show that you can get some quite nice shots from any old thing. And Paint Shop Pro (I'm too amateurish to use Photoshop) helps as well.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #25
Haggis
Mojorator

Yeah, it doesn't really matter what camera you have, it's all about perspective and composition and all that. I'm not an awesome photographer myself, but I use Paint.NET to spruce up many of my pics, it's like magic.

Also, the closest I ever came to a swan was this (different view). That had more to do with the swan being utterly confused for some reason, just standing there while people were gathering round it all the time.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #26
Gabez

That's very close! And very good photos -- especially the second one because it doesn't have your shadow.

It helps if you can be somewhere where there aren't any other people, of course. And I think that luck also helps -- and keeping your eye open of course.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:12 PM   #27
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
I was born and live in Berlin, Germany.

I only left my country once for Czechoslovakia and once for Spain, and four times for the British Island to go to Eastbourne, Brighton, Harrington, and for a bike trip mostly though Wales with two of my brethren, my dad and uncle about 700 km down the Atlantic coast starting from Liverpool:

Guess which of the strong, well shaped, young men aged 14, 15 and 17 is me. ^^

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-14-2008, 04:05 AM   #28
Gabez

The one on the right?

That's a lovely photo - I'd like to go to that place m'self.

Did you like Wales?

I've only been to Germany once -- to Berlin fior a week. I thought it a very vibrant and interesting city! I'd like to go back, but I'd also like to visit the German countryside and castles. See where all those fairytales came from.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #29
neon_git

I'm going to go for the one in the middle, the one who appears to be wearing a skirt.

I spent a weekend in Berlin but I have to say it wasn't really worth going for such a short period of time - I hardly got to see anything, and what I did see was all the touristy places. I definately plan to go back some time, anything that you'd recommend seeing?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #30
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Wrong and wrong. ^^ The right one is the second oldest, and the one with short trousers is the third oldest of us. I'm the one on the left, whose legs look a bit like Goofy's I just recognised. It's around June/July 1993 btw. I mean 14 years...didn't realise it's that long ago.

Wales is great, especially for a bike trip. Less great was that one day we drove like 80 km uphill. I also have a photo of Llanfair P.G. train station somewhere but somehow there are the only two photos of the whole trip that I could find. Fortunately my uncle is supposed to have them all since he took them and he's a photo nerd. Oh and what I found really cool was, we drove along that canyon, and suddenly two colourful painted F-5 jets (I think) appeared and did some acrobatic flight training there, diving into the canyon, shooting out again and stuff. I could like take a look into their cockpits. Whoa.

Quote:
I've only been to Germany once -- to Berlin fior a week. I thought it a very vibrant and interesting city! I'd like to go back, but I'd also like to visit the German countryside and castles. See where all those fairytales came from.
In Potsdam near Berlin we have Sanssouci Palace which is pretty awesome. Also my grandma lives near Castle of Schwerin, where you can see a huge and impressive collection of weapons and hunting equipment a couple of hundred years old. On a class trip to the UK we visited an old castle containing similar stuff, including amour and very old books. Can't remember the name though. When you want the total countryside style, for pure relaxation or some walks through nature go to the Schwarzwald, Harz or Mecklenburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_git
I spent a weekend in Berlin but I have to say it wasn't really worth going for such a short period of time - I hardly got to see anything, and what I did see was all the touristy places. I definately plan to go back some time, anything that you'd recommend seeing?
Oh, we love all the tourists at all those touristy places. As for recommendations, hmhm. What have you seen already? What are you interested in? Some folks come to live Berlin by night, some come just to see the town. We have this Nazi time crap, an "ancient" atomic bunker in the city, museums, and of course...partey!

Last edited by Ray Jones; 01-14-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: gremmer
Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #31
neon_git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jones
Oh, we love all the tourists at all those touristy places.
Yeah, I'm not really into that sort of stuff, but I was with my friends and it's what they wanted to see so ... what can you do? I don't generally like to go out and party all night when I go travelling, I can do that anywhere and the experience is usually pretty similar. I'm more into the culture of places; I love historical museums, and I understand Berlin is supposed to have some pretty good art museums too. I tend to steer clear of the nazi type stuff, I went to the nazi museum in Nürnberg where they held all the rallies and that was way more than enough for me. I got through about 2/3 of it and I just had to leave I felt so sick.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 AM   #32
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Originaly, Northampton, England, but right now, Sunderland.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #33
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
Born and raised in Houston, Texas, currently attending university in Austin, Texas. I spend my summers in Singapore though, if that makes up for it.

itchythesamurai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #34
neon_git

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchythesamurai
I spend my summers in Singapore
Oh that's really cool, do you have family out there or something? I don't really know much about Texas beyond the sterotype of people with big hats and guns, do people have big hats and guns? I'll be very upset if they don't.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:46 AM   #35
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Oh, he he, be assured Mr. Samurai here owns a very beautiful and impressive gun.

It's handmade.

Several times per day.

But no hat. No. His golden, arm long, flowing hair needs air to breathe.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #36
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
Some people have big hats and guns, not me though. I'm more of a sharp and pointy objects kind of guy.

And my parents are in Singapore for my dad's work.

Incidentally, how'd you know that I'm not a hat person, Ray??

Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #37
Sven_Q45
Forumite

I am from Schwaikheim, Germany. Near Stuttgart. Southern Germany
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #38
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

Germany, hm.

"Mir Schwäble könne allesch, nua kee hochdeeusch."

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchythesamurai
Incidentally, how'd you know that I'm not a hat person, Ray??
Don't know, female intuition?

What's your dad's job, inchy? Is he rich or something? Will he pay the money when I fake kidnap you and we gonna hide in Hawaii, doing drinks and girls?

Old 01-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #39
Shmargin

Everett, WA its near Seattle and all of Microsofts evilness.

Lived in Las Cruces, NM for about 5 years, until recently, but was born in rainy Everett.
Shmargin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2008, 11:59 PM   #40
itchythesamurai
Not Ichi the Killer

LFN Staff Member 
We're upper middle-class. He's in the oil industry, I think his title is something along the lines of Senior Principal Financial Engineer. Really a glorified accountant is all. I'm always game for your schemes, El Ray!

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Off-Topic Mayhem > Where are you all from?