lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: In game slowdowns... not hardware related?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
Sharkims
Lurker

Thumbs down In game slowdowns... not hardware related?

I'm curious if everyone gets some serious slow downs in space battles especially.

My hardware should be MORE than satisfactory at handling the game...

A64 X2 4400+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2 x 1gb PC3200 OCZ 3-3-3-8
2 x 7800GT (in SLI of course :P)
2 x 36gb raptor in raid0 (game is on here)
X-FI XTreme music

DSL - 7000/1000mbps

Yet... I still get hardcore slowdowns in MP. This slowdown does include, LAN and online.

Sharkims is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
Goldenshadow
Rookie

I found a way to cure slowdown in space battles. I think it has to do with unit pathfinding. press ctrl-A to select all of your units and press the stop button on the user interface and the game instantly gets smoother.

seems to be an issue with disabled units hit by the planetary ion cannon unable to move lagging the game if you give them a move order
Thats just my guess
Goldenshadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
gswift

Edit: I've read that USB devices, like a mouse, may interfere with performance in the game. Try removing anything USB. Also check out LucasArts.com for more suggestions. Judging by the FAQ section, there are lots of compatibility issues with different input devices. I've never seen a game that was so picky about the computer it's running on.

Turn off fire wall, update drivers, turn off antivirus, open ports on the router, unpug USB, unplug joystick/game pad, don't run Nero in the background, hold your left eye with your right hand while inserting the disk, and poke out your tounge while starting the game. ...And it MAY work.

Actually I've had prety good luck so far, but I did have to replace my DVD player to read the disk, it only crashes once in a long while, and the slowdowns are only a little annoying. It's still a fun game to play.

Gary Swift (aka gswift)
Lenexa, Kansas USA

You can try to monkey-proof your program, but you'll never monkey-proof the monkey.

Last edited by gswift; 02-23-2006 at 04:57 PM.
gswift is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Master Nikolaos
Rookie

The slow down in the game seems to be a memory leak that needs fixing. I will try the control A tip and see if it works(also USB).
Master Nikolaos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Vagabond
LFN Staff Emeritus

Agreed - there must be a memory leak. My singleplayer campaign save-games are around 100 Mb in size. That's just ridiculous. The memory leak theory would also explain the bug where multiple turrets occupy the same build pad.

All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players...
Vagabond is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #6
Master Nikolaos
Rookie

Hmm...I ahven't noticed that tower problem...intresting.
Master Nikolaos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
roachmojo
Lurker

Thumbs down The Ion cannon effect is the problem...

this game is so cool but it's basically unplayable once I use the ion cannon on a star destroyer. It just starts this hitching lag thing that won't quit until the ion cannon effect wears off. This has to be a bug. I've tried various combinations of graphic settings to no avail.

I just scanned the cargo with Han and Chewie, but now I have to stop playing until a resolution is found...
roachmojo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #8
EAWFAN

i havent ever gotton a lag or any of those problems thats odd

www.aosw.petrolution.net --- Ages of Star Wars: Jedi Civil war --- Official website
EAWFAN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 AM   #9
Koci
Rookie

Now I have Space Battles slowdown every 15-20 seconds, after 50 turns (Galactic days). I have only 26 tasks in background (WinXp with SP2).

My specs:

AMD 4000+
2 GB Ram
GeForce 7800GTX
Creative X-Fi Fatality.

Koci
Koci is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
roachmojo
Lurker

Alright...this is not working for me. It's not the ion cannon after all. It just starts happening all the time now...

A system with my specs should NOT have problems with this game. The fact that it is perfectly smooth when paused tells me there is something wrong with the ****ing game...

I should also mention that it matters not if I turn everything down to zero, I mean all graphic options.

Last edited by roachmojo; 03-14-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #11
roachmojo
Lurker

Issue resolved

I figured it out. It's the 1.2 patch....

I installed the game on my second machine and loaded my last save and it was awesome. I then installed the 1.2 patch, loaded the same save, and it was ****ed. So I uninstalled the game from my primary machine, re-installed, skipped the patching, loaded the save...and it was perfect.

Fix the goddamned patch, guys...

Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/Antec TruePower 430W PSU | Asus P4C800-E BIOS 1016 w/ 2GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 | P4 3.0c @ 3.15Ghz w/ Swiftech MCX4000 HS and ThermalTake Smart Fan II | 2-Western Digital Raptors in Raid 0 | e-Geforce 6800 Ultra 78.01 w/ Viewsonic G810-2 | Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum w/ CL inspire 6.1 6600 speakers | XP Professional SP2
Old 03-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #12
Sharkims
Lurker

Does this fix work for others aswell?

Sharkims is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
Admiral Z

I tried to reinstall without patching and it seems to have fixed the issue. Of course, Darth Vader and Boba Fett die too fast now...
Admiral Z is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Tech Centre > In game slowdowns... not hardware related?