lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What would you rate Empire at War?
10 - Perfect 4 3.03%
9 - Great 37 28.03%
8 - Very Good 39 29.55%
7 - Good 19 14.39%
6 - Okay 16 12.12%
5 - Average 5 3.79%
4 - Mediocre 8 6.06%
3 - Horrible 1 0.76%
2 - Crap 2 1.52%
1 - ****ty 1 0.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What would you rate Empire At War?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Darth Phantom
Rookie

What would you rate Empire At War?

Self-explanitory.

Darth Phantom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Great for me. It's an awesome game. Though it could use some improvements.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
jediturkey
Banned

I love it. I look forward to an expansion.
jediturkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Toonboy
Rookie

I've given it a 3, horrible, its not the game play, which is great, its the worst online gaming. I spend more time waiting for games than playing. Of the approximate 100 games that I have tried to join, 30% form a connection and get into the game. Of that 30%, 29 have gone oos. Without a relative quick patch, to fix the problem I will be quickly trading in my game, and will not purchase any other petro products. I won't go into the multitude of multiplayer issues, I think they have been well documented, and there is no need to flog them. I'm hoping petro is going to fix this stuff, but after the release of patch 1.02 I havn't heard a word from the developers on what's going on.

I consider myself a patience person, and realise there is a big difference between testing a game inhouse and having it out on the web, there are going to be problems. But at the same time, I've grown tired of games having so many issues out of the box, and at the end of the day I don't care what it takes, I just want it to work.
Toonboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

I say 8, but in my book, 8/10 is a very good thing. I try to avoid grade inflation!

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
Sindeon
Lurker

gave it an 8 great game. Especially some of the more frantic space battles. I mean I dont think ive had a moment like when my weakest defended planet got hit by over 100 fighter rebel fighter squadrens ( mix of X and Y and a few Z) and a bunch of thier corvettes against sucha small force that I had. The moments of such hectic work like that has made this a great game, but yeah the mplayer on this has been lacking in quality so that said seems like hteyve been working on it and although I woulda hoped that they woulda ironed that out before we got it. This is an overall great game and another fine tool to see in very stylish way the destruction of those rebel scum.
LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!
Sindeon
Sindeon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 AM   #7
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

Great game!

SW Galaxies Online name: Cavkov
Server: Chimaera
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Guild: DOS - Dark Order of the Sith

If you only knew the power of the darkside!
Igor_Cavkov is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-02-2006, 03:06 AM   #8
AETOS75
Rookie

Great.

I waited so many years for a good SW RTS.

And Petro made it real.

Although single player needs more (REAL) missions then Conquest planet style.
AETOS75 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Im not a higely experienced RTS fan, but Ive played Rebellion, GB and Foce Commander.

Ive given it a 6/10

EAW is fun, but I must admit, it hasnt knocked my sox off, like KOTOR did for example... This game brings SW gaming to 2002 IMO. What happenned to the days when Lucasarts used to push the envelope.....

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Jmaster3265
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7
Im not a higely experienced RTS fan, but Ive played Rebellion, GB and Foce Commander.

Ive given it a 6/10

EAW is fun, but I must admit, it hasnt knocked my sox off, like KOTOR did for example... This game brings SW gaming to 2002 IMO. What happenned to the days when Lucasarts used to push the envelope.....

mtfbwya

I have to disagree what is fun about games where they are 1 player you beat the game then what? Play the whole game again? Gets boring after a while...I thought KOTR 2 was kind of boring it also HAD WAY TOO MANY BUGS. Never tried KOTR 1...

Jmaster3265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #11
aggie_john
Rookie

You need to try KOTOR 1 it is a hundred times better than KOTOR 2. Thats why it was game of the year.

As for EAW I gave it a 9. I love this game some people dont like things about it but I havent seen any real distractors. But there is always room for improvement I felt nothing that had to be in there was missing but there are some things that could have been in there that would have blown my socks off.
aggie_john is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Rookie

I love this game the only improvements i can think of is better AI and actually more of everything: units, missions, campaigns.
This is a great game all the people giving it a low score just wish it was a different game. Well guess what we are rating this game, not the game in your dreams. This game is fun, has beautiful graphics, and it has a good replay value. Its a pretty good accomplishment for the developers.
Tom Servo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 04:46 AM   #13
jediturkey
Banned

Cool Guy

Comparing different genres isn't fair. As to pushing the envelope, this game has some of the best graphics and sound I've ever seen in an RTS. I'm sure an expansion will add a lot more, especially since Petroglyph is involved. The Zero Hour expansion for C&C Generals was gigantic and made it more like C&C Generals 2 with tons of improvements. Have faith.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 AM   #14
kookaburra
Rookie

Location: If You Combine This Young Jedi And A Certian *Male* Sith Lord You Are More Likely To Get...Babies!
Hot Topic Starter 
I rate it good.

If You Are A True KotOR Fan,
Please Join My Non-Profit KotOR
Forum here.
kookaburra is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 07:10 AM   #15
DarkLeeLee
Rookie

Very good, thou i think they rushed it, the campaigns seem to me like it had been rushed which was disapointing, other then that there is improvement and hope they will make another one.
DarkLeeLee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 08:04 AM   #16
Evil Jeremy
Rookie

8/10 because of the danm exception problems.

Evil Jeremy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 09:13 AM   #17
jedi3112

I rate it 6. I think it ignores already existing EU too much to be truly worth of the Star Wars in the title. The AI needs to be improved (both the AI of your own units as well as the enemy AI). The reinforcement points don't work that well (the rushes to the first landing as after a while everybody knows where the landing points are). Lack of story (the campaign had very little movies in it, and GC could also use missions and hero missions). Lack of external factors (there is the weather, but it hardly does anything, more events on a galactic scale would also be nice). There are plenty of games with these things in it and they are also RTS games or half trun based and half RTS. Just a few:

Rome Total War
Red Alert 1
Command and Conquer 1 and Tiberian Sun
Emperor:Battle for Dune
Force Commander (one of the best stories I have ever seen in a RTS)
Galactic Battlegrounds (but not that much)
ST Armada 1 and 2

Maybe these games did not have everything I mentioned, but they all had something of it an they had it done right. Other things may have been bad about these games, such as balancing issues. However I find that Empire at WAr is too much like C&C Generals gone Star Wars. This game had opportunities, but it didn't take them. This game could have been so much more if it did take them.
jedi3112 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #18
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

I think I might also throw in some whining about the grafx. EaW hardly tests the capabilities of current spec PCs like other games do... There's nothing to look at and say OMG thats awesome like in Half Life, Doom, Call of Duty etc. The cutscenes and character rendering in EaW in seriously low end.

I think I'm going to check out Rome Total War... from what most people say. its seems to be the golden standard for an RTS.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #19
Breiti
Rookie

Unhappy

I rated it 6 because I didn´t touch the game for one week and somehow I don´t miss it .
Breiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #20
DasFlo
Rookie

Get your hands dirty in mp once it's patched up, might change your view of the thing.
I believe it's too early to write it off.
DasFlo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 11:53 AM   #21
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Astrotoy, check out some of the latest posts in the screenshots thread--there's some freaking awesome stuff in there. Especially the latest shots people have been getting of terrains and water. Definitely on par with other recent stuff. (And, hey, Call of Duty? The Q3 engine is getting old, man...that game didn't have really great graphics, it just pulled off a terrific atmosphere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi3112
I rate it 6. I think it ignores already existing EU too much to be truly worth of the Star Wars in the title.
Can you clarify that? Are you just complaining about the fact that Lancer Frigates are called Tartan Patrol Cruisers? Or is the issue that the events in the campaign/galactic conquest don't fit with the Expanded Universe?

If the latter, the EU is fairly mutable. The books/comics/games contradict each other in many places (especially the games, since new Dark Lords keep having to be invented!). Besides, given the genre of Empire at War, they have to allow some deviation from the "established" EU storyline. You can't very well have an engaging real-time strategy game where they tell you EXACTLY what to do and when so that your game experience coincides precisely with the movies. Or worse, with the comics.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #22
jediturkey
Banned

I find the galatic map and the generals feel give this game an intense yet very thoughtful feel. I'd say this is the best RTS games I've ever played. Most of the time I play them and get tired of the same repetition. Having a real time galatic map with such an epic storyline really makes this game super addicting.

As to the graphics, your people make foot-prints in the sand, water splashes with bullets, soft-shadows, and the space battles are outstanding. If there something wrong with graphics, I hope people mention it, instead of 'the graphics suck'. I have everything maxed out and from the dust-winds, to the big explosions, to the rain drops, it's quite amazing.

The way this game plays reminds me of my favorite "RTS" of all time called Syndicate, made by BullFrog.

Last edited by jediturkey; 03-06-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #23
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
lol. Empire at War isn't exactly based on EU. It mainly is about taking over the SW Universe at the same time as the movie.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #24
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Well, it's EU in the sense that it makes up a lot of units not in the movies. They aren't EU in the sense that they've appeared previously in other EU sources (many of them anyway), but they're EU in that this is an "official" sources (as games go) which isn't from the movies.

So it's "EU" in the same sense as the original Dark Forces or Shadows of the Empire (both of which take place during the classic trilogy timeline and involve some of the same characters).

The EU was thrown into chaos with the release of the Prequel films, so at this point I wouldn't be too critical of anything in EaW that doesn't conform to old EU sources (or new ones created too recently for the developers to really have time to adapt that material into the game).

So yes, I guess it makes the most sense to say that EaW is geared towards the movies, and they made the rest of the stuff up, for variety's sake.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #25
jedi3112

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge2211
Can you clarify that? Are you just complaining about the fact that Lancer Frigates are called Tartan Patrol Cruisers? Or is the issue that the events in the campaign/galactic conquest don't fit with the Expanded Universe?

If the latter, the EU is fairly mutable. The books/comics/games contradict each other in many places (especially the games, since new Dark Lords keep having to be invented!). Besides, given the genre of Empire at War, they have to allow some deviation from the "established" EU storyline. You can't very well have an engaging real-time strategy game where they tell you EXACTLY what to do and when so that your game experience coincides precisely with the movies. Or worse, with the comics.
I was just complaining with the tartan cruiser and most of the other units. It's not just that it's 1 unit that was forgotten, but it is a hole lot of units. On both sides of the conflict. Here's a list.

T1-B
T3-B
Assault Frigate (alright, the rebels have the assault frigate, but it looks completely different)
AT-PT
Lancer Frigate

Also I think the TR-MB would have been very usefull in this game, considering the reinforcement points. That unit could have added so much more to this game. I mean A mobile reinforcement point that the enemy can't take and must destroy instead. Even better if the enemy can't even see it on the radar. Though I am thinking about modding a TR-MB in, I can't think of how I would do that.

Basicly this game feels like one of those games that doesn't have SW in the title (so they don't have the license for official SW stuff), but you can't deny that the game is based directly on SW.
jedi3112 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2006, 05:03 AM   #26
MistenTH
Rookie

A lot of EAW is good, and captures SW nicely, but the lack of Multiplayer polishing is simply horrible.

While patches came in fast, the standards there are pretty bad when you compare to other games.

And for me, I found the gameplay boring after a while. Literally, after falling asleep at the keyboard while playing a game, I stopped playing.

EAW: Star Wars Realism v3.0 - a mod that improves the realism, balance & gameplay from the default EAW Space Combat & Space Skirmish. Introduces a FLEET! Deathmatch mode.

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=2763.0
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=161089

EAW: Tactical Command - a Space Skirmish mod that seeks to bring tactics to EAW. Also introduces Scenario play.

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=3136.0
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=162569
MistenTH is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #27
Toa Tahu

I can't really rate the game yet, because I've only spent 1-2 hours on it. But I am really impressed with the way Petroglyph made the game work on my ancient PC. My only frustrations are the insanely long load times, and that is due to my computer's deficient RAM.

This far, though, I am very happy with the game, although certain things, like the half-baked manual, could be done better. The graphics were stunning, IMHO, even on my FX5500.

When you slice a person, do you slice him with the fastest stroke, or do you forcefully incapacitate him?
Toa Tahu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #28
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge2211
And, hey, Call of Duty? The Q3 engine is getting old, man...that game didn't have really great graphics, it just pulled off a terrific atmosphere..
but the cutscenes in EaW....ugh...they should've just left them out...they wouldnt look out of place in dark forces or force commander

COD/2 is Q3 but atmosphere...is EVERYTHING !

Ive played the Rome Total War demo....man, even from just that snippet - that game looks awesome, and Im generally not really an RTS fan at all

*goes and gets*

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #29
jediturkey
Banned

If you want to compare RTS's (gameplay wise) to EAW, check out this Act of War High Treason Demo:

http://turkeyfiles.escapedturkey.net...eason_demo.exe

Amazing game.

Last edited by jediturkey; 03-12-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #30
Jmaster3265
Forumite

It sure takes a long time to download....

Old 03-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #31
jediturkey
Banned

Link fixed.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:09 PM   #32
Admiral Sith

Quote:
And for me, I found the gameplay boring after a while. Literally, after falling asleep at the keyboard while playing a game, I stopped playing.
lol, i fell asleep after playing for 3 strait days of FFVII right when i was about to win the game. Of course the game cut off so i had to start over, i havnt played since.

I give it a 9/10, it has some truly awe inspiring moments. Once the Modding Tools, and Multiplayer fixes are realeased i would give it a 10/10.

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Admiral Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #33
Jmaster3265
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediturkey
If you want to compare RTS's (gameplay wise) to EAW, check out this Act of War High Treason Demo:

http://turkeyfiles.escapedturkey.net...eason_demo.exe

Amazing game.
I couldn't download it once it was done. Do i need to have the original Act of War since this is an expansion?

Old 03-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #34
jediturkey
Banned

Nope, the demo is stand-alone. Try deleting and redownloading.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #35
Spiralarchitech
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediturkey
Nope, the demo is stand-alone. Try deleting and redownloading.
Act of war is quite a good rts reminds me of c&c, the only thing that let me down was the camera.

If it had EAW's camera it would have owned
Spiralarchitech is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #36
jediturkey
Banned

Hrm, I thought you could rotate camera in AOW, no?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #37
Spiralarchitech
Rookie

Yes you can rotate it, but after 5 mins you'll want to zoom into street level and see some of that action and you can't.

Also flying units can be a pain as it won't zoom out that far.
Spiralarchitech is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #38
jediturkey
Banned

That's wierd, I zoom in and out with the mouse-wheel.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:09 AM   #39
conmanguyler
Rookie

9 !, this game is really gd, its all i have been playing lately, i agree, it could do with some improvements though, cant wait for an expansion, overall very good. especially the skirmish games, great for aa quick match if i feel like blowing something up!

CG
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match
for a good blaster at your side kid" - Han Solo

[SoL]ŃĚĞĦŢĤĹŴĶ
conmanguyler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2006, 04:48 AM   #40
†Saint_Killa†

I gave it an 8. If it just had a complete ep. IV-VI campaign and units I would give it a 9.

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > What would you rate Empire At War?