lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Model file (.alo) format
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #81
jonesyjonez
Rookie

Mike is truly a leader in the EAW modding community for developing tools, congrats to Mike for the great accomplishments resulting from all of his hard work.

jonesyjonez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #82
hiho_boy
Rookie

Great work .. Anyword on an importer.. since it would save tons of time for some mods that only want to edit some parts of models.. Im sure it would be easier now that an actual exporter is out

RoR Modeler skinner and coder
www.swgbex.com = EaW mod tutorials.. more comming soon :P
Total Realism mod Lead Modeler/animator
"-Modding God-"
hiho_boy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2006, 08:39 PM   #83
Wildcat'
Rookie

I'm not sure if they actually wanted us to do that. What I want though is an .ALA exporter and maybe a skeleton template for a ground infantry model.

Wildcat' is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #84
hiho_boy
Rookie

But you can already export ALA files.. you just have to tell it to export animations using the alamo tools in max.. its in max's hammer tab thingy.. and click on the more button and the first thing on the list is alamo tools.. i cant seem to get my skin for the tie interceptor to work :/

"-Modding God-"
Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #85
Wildcat'
Rookie

You serious? Gaahh!! How could I be so stupid? lol

I can't get my Bastila or Ebon Hawk to render in ALO Viewer and also it gives me an exception error when I try to override the default Millenium Falcon model with the ebon hawk renamed to RV_MFalcon.ALO

Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #86
hiho_boy
Rookie

You cant just rename.. you must re export.. also it works fine in 3ds max 6.. i got it to work.. but not the textures.. dunno why

"-Modding God-"
Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 PM   #87
Wildcat'
Rookie

I think you need to fool around with the fx and shaders in the source files? And yeah I exported my model and then named it...oh, or do you mean I need to export the file with that name and renaming it nullifies it?

Old 05-16-2006, 10:54 PM   #88
Wildcat'
Rookie

Alright so I've got a couple of models ingame and am having the same green model problem as you are. Is there a certain .dds format the textures need to be in? I just use TheGIMP's .dds exporter and I'm not sure if any of the image preferences need to be checked.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:34 PM   #89
hiho_boy
Rookie

DX3 i think its called is EAW's .. but ive seen Dx1 and dx 2 work i think
Tga's should work. but i think im just not setting something right in the exporter settings .. no clue.. but yes renaming it does not work because the file name is Inbedded into the file.. not like an mp3 file per say

"-Modding God-"
Old 05-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #90
Wildcat'
Rookie

Ah ok, well I guess we'll just have to keep trying until something works.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #91
TheStressPuppy
Rookie

Mike your download link (and site) isnt working. is there a mirror where i can get your program?

EDIT: NM its back up, got it

=digital Underground= International Modding, and Gaming Clan
TheStressPuppy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #92
Infinity238
Lurker

Any chance anyone can modify the mod tools to function with 3dsmax 8? I know that few people out there actually have version 6.
Infinity238 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #93
Mike.nl
Rookie

It seems to work fine for me, but just to be safe, here's a mirror I just put up:
http://mike.ultimate-eaw.com/
Mike.nl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM   #94
hiho_boy
Rookie

Yeah i got the first model in game. it was quite tricky,.. and will have a tutorial for exporting tomorow.. but here is a link to the page with my Tie interceptor
http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=3746.new#new

"-Modding God-"

Last edited by hiho_boy; 05-17-2006 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Spelled something wrong :P
Old 05-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #95
Wildcat'
Rookie

Thanks hihoboy, you just made my life so much easier.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #96
hiho_boy
Rookie

I have made a tutorial now.. its rough so dont riddicule me for it.. i will make a topic on the main mod forums now

"-Modding God-"

Last edited by hiho_boy; 05-18-2006 at 12:36 AM. Reason: more spelling
Old 05-18-2006, 12:38 AM   #97
Infinity238
Lurker

I'm asumeing your all useing 3dsmax 6, Sucks I have been waiting for these tools for so long. Its all one big tease for me, Hiho_boy, Wildcat some cool stuff you have there.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:45 AM   #98
hiho_boy
Rookie

You know there are trial versions. So If you learn to model in Gmax (yes its still out there and free! and i have it .. if you need it. i still think turbosquid has it http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax) Learn gmax.. model in it. skin in it. Export it to 3ds. Then use a trial version of 3ds max 6 once you are done to Import the models then export the models into ALO. SHould work perfect. Or have someone else export your models. Never let money stop you from moddin if you really want to.

"-Modding God-"
Old 05-18-2006, 01:46 AM   #99
Infinity238
Lurker

I dont need to lern how to model I have max version 8, however is there a site where you can get a trial version of max6? That seems like a good Idea.

EDIT:

Nevermind, 3dsmax7&8 versions are in the works. I've waited months so far, a little while more wont hurt I guess.

Bottom of the page.
http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php...52733#msg52733

Last edited by Infinity238; 05-18-2006 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #100
darthjacob1153
Lurker

Exclamation

Alright, I'm not sure if anyone's going to read this (or going to care)...

Something is up with my viewer. I can load models and their animations and view them. Unfortunately, all the models show up as big white blobs! There are no textures on the model. I need some help with it.

And, now that I read the two posts before me, does that actually work? Can you export models from Gmax into 3DS Max and then to EaW? Can someone link me to the plugin and the 3ds Max trial? I have Gmax already.
darthjacob1153 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #101
Wildcat'
Rookie

Sometimes the ALOViewer has problems displaying some of the textures. On my Bastila model, in the ALOViewer it show's her whole body using her face texture (I have two maps, one for face and other for clothes). But once I load up EaW, all the textures are mapped properly and are using the correct dds files.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #102
darthjacob1153
Lurker

So it's not just me?

And you're one of the workers on the KOTOR mod? Remember me from EaWH?
Old 06-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #103
Wildcat'
Rookie

Definitely. You still having problems with the trailer?

Old 06-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #104
darthjacob1153
Lurker

I never actually tried again... :s
Old 06-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #105
Comrade Mike
Lurker

Make sure you've got the textures extracted.
Comrade Mike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #106
darthjacob1153
Lurker

Comrade Mike? The same Comrade Mike for SWGBH?

Anyway, I have, and I've tried everything: having the models, animations, and textures on the same folder, in their default folders... everything.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #107
Mike.nl
Rookie

I can't fix these things if no one tells me them, people. I'm not telepathic or something

So Wildcat and darthjacob1153, if you could put your ALO files and textures on a site somewhere and PM me the link (assuming you don't want the rest of the forum to get the models), I could perhaps figure out what the problem is and fix it.
And in case you're worried, you have my word I won't give the models to others (what's my word worth? I hope enough).

And while we're on the subject of viewer weirdnesses (or as I like to call them, unintentional behavioral occurances ), I am aware there are some other issues that don't make models show up like they should (i.e. like they do in the game).

The biggest among these is the fact that I don't Z-sort transparent meshes. This is probably best visible with units with lightsabres. The lightsabre mesh is usually higher up in the list than the main body mesh, meaning that I render it before the main body mesh. And since transparent meshes don't write to the Z-buffer, the main body mesh will overwrite the light sabre on certain parts, making it seems the lightsabre is actually behind the body mesh. This create some interesting Escher-esque images

To become a little big technical here, I really should group meshes depending on the render phase they're in (indicated in their shader) and then render the phases in order while Z-sorting the meshes that should be Z-sorted.

These are all on my list of things to do, but other stuff has gotten in the way of it. I'm also working on a rather large rewrite of the viewer 'engine' because of the phases thing and because I know more about the ALO format now than when I started on the viewer. So this takes time.

But small bugfixes to the current viewer, like the textures problem, shouldn't take a lot of time (depending on the size of the bug, of course).

I have to say though, I'm rather surprised people still use the viewer now that the tools are out. I was kind of expecting people to lose interest. But as I understand it, it's because using the viewer is faster than starting the game and seeing how the unit looks in there. So for this reason I think it's important that the viewer shows the model as game-like as possible.

Whew, that's quite a post. Well, I just wanted to let you know where I am and have you know that viewer development isn't dead (rather, just proceeding very slowly).
Old 06-13-2006, 08:41 AM   #108
darthjacob1153
Lurker

Well, I haven't actually made any new models... I'm viewing the old ones.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 AM   #109
cmorgan256
Lurker

Oh yes, I find it very useful. Thank you!
cmorgan256 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 AM   #110
Wildcat'
Rookie

Oh! I'm sorry Mike. I didn't read this thread for a while. If it's not too late I'll still send my model to you. I'll send you a few. A couple of them crash the editor and another just has a weird mismap but shows up perfectly ingame. Also your viewer is awesome. I'll never throw it out. It helps as a quick reference to see the EaW models and how they were done so I can use the model names/animation names as a base for what I'm doing.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #111
Mike.nl
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat'
Oh! I'm sorry Mike. I didn't read this thread for a while. If it's not too late I'll still send my model to you. I'll send you a few.
No problem, send them when you can. It'll be interesting to get my hands on some actual community created exporter output.
I'll then see if I can fix what's wrong the viewer

And FYI, it has been brought to my attention that the viewer also crashes on certain other models, particularly W_LASER_..... models. The point about those certain kinds of models is that they use different chunk types.
The usual chunk type for storing vertices is 10006h. The laser models use 10005h, which stores vertices slightly differently. The exporter does not output those kind of chunks, to the best of my knowledge. A similar story is about bones. Normally, bone data is stored in 206h chunks. Some models have 205h chunks. Although similar to 206h chunks, they're still slightly different.

In fact, the 205h chunks lack a single value found in 206h chunks, but that's not a problem, because I didn't know what they meant anyway, so my viewer ignores them anyway. So it extracts the same information from 205h and 206h chunks anyway.
The same wasn't true for 10006h and 10005h chunks. My viewer, not knowing what to do with them, completely ignored 10005h chunks. This meant that the meshes that used 10005h chunks had no vertices. And apparantly DirectX doesn't like it when you pass it empty vertex buffers -> error
Although the basic vertex information (position, normal, texture coordinates) is in the same spot in 10005h and 10006h chunks, I still don't know what the rest of the 10005h chunks' data is for. And chances are I never will.

So maybe those models were created by a different, more powerful, not-released-to-the-public exporter. Or, alternatively, they were created by an earlier version of the exporter and Petroglyph was too lazy to re-export their earlier models

Hm... I wonder, does anyone care about this blabbering? I always try to keep people up to date and 'educate' the readers of my posts into the details of the Alo format and the viewer whenever possible. A wasted effort in the age of the use-and-forget and as-long-as-it-works mentality?

Last edited by Mike.nl; 06-19-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 AM   #112
Wildcat'
Rookie

I care. It could mean Petroglyph is hiding a much better exporter :P. What I wonder though is if they themselves have an importer..although I don't really see the need for one. I'll try to send the model soon.

EDIT: Sent 'em in your PMs.

Last edited by Wildcat'; 06-19-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #113
Mike.nl
Rookie

Thank you, Wildcat. I'll look at them and the viewer when I get home later today.

And rest assured, I hereby promise that I won't distribute them, hand them out, etc.
Not even to the Ultimate EAW people (in case you were worried about the banner).
In fact, once I fix the viewer and I no longer need them, I'll delete every trace of them.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #114
Wildcat'
Rookie

Thanks..Oh I just rememberd I forgot one texture, for her lightsaber hilt. Do you need it? I separated the different meshes into different texture maps, as I planned to have her in different clothes and weapons so I didn't want to attach everything together.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #115
Mike.nl
Rookie

If the model uses it, then yes please
Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #116
Wildcat'
Rookie

Check PMs

Old 08-13-2006, 01:47 AM   #117
Elryc
Lurker

Blobs

I dunno if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but I have the same problem as mentioned above where the in-game models (the ones in the .meg files) just display as textureless shapes in the viewer, and its driving me mad. I've tried updating directX, updating my video drivers, putting the directX DLL file in the ALO folder, moving the viewer into the EaW directory, and extracting the ALO, textures, and shaders. Nothing has helped.
Elryc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2006, 02:33 AM   #118
Wildcat'
Rookie

make sure your textures are .dds, DX3 compression and in Gamedata/Data/Art/Textures. That's where the ALO viewer reads the texture files from.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #119
Elryc
Lurker

Still isn't working. Smaller models, like Vader and the Z-95 show up ok, but large models like the AT-AT and ISDs just look awful.
Elryc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2006, 07:09 AM   #120
cmorgan256
Lurker

Hi, Mike.nl!
Is the inormation on .ALO file format at http://mike.ultimate-eaw.com/AloFileFormat up to date?

I'd like to help cracking up the format (I have some experiences in reverse engineering and I will need a native ALO & ALA importer/exporter soon), if you don't mind.
cmorgan256 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Modding forum > Model file (.alo) format