lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Anakin's vision...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-30-2005, 09:50 AM   #1
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
Anakin's vision...

Apologies if this has been discussed before, failed to find it if so.

Anakin has these visions of Padme dying at childbirth. Because of these visions, he tries to save Padme, runs off the dark side and dissapoints her.

At the end of the movie the robot says she's medically in good health, but lost the will to live because of Anakin's choice.

So is there a good explanation for this, or is it a self-fulfilling prophecy ?

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Alegis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
T10
Rookie

No, it just doesn't hold with me. It's not as if she had nothing to live for, she'd just had children FFS! It would've been much better, IMO, for Anakin to have broken something important and not noticed it, so she was slowly dieing along the way.

INSERT_USELESS_INFORMATION_HERE>
T10 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
SirLancelot

Basically, Padme died of heartbreak. After Anakin fell to the dark side, she gave up on life. You can make the argument of her becoming a mother a reason to live, but without Anakin in her life, she did not want to continue living.

Darasuum Kote (Mandalorian for Eternal Glory)
-Motto of the Clone Army

http://www.imperialcommandos.com/main.htm
http://www.clonetroopers.net/
SirLancelot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
master_skywalke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLancelot
Basically, Padme died of heartbreak. After Anakin fell to the dark side, she gave up on life. You can make the argument of her becoming a mother a reason to live, but without Anakin in her life, she did not want to continue living.
Thats bull****.
The PT just is such unrealistic, and doesn't matches the OT. It whould have been much cooler if Anakin heavily wonded her or something like that, showing that he didn't have a hart anymore, then just dieing from a hartbreak.

master_skywalke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Dieing from Heartbreak?!? Lol thats kind of selfish of her to not think of her children and to just let herself die... I agree with master_skywalke she should have been wounded by Anakin to make a more practical death.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
SirLancelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_skywalke
Thats bull****.
The PT just is such unrealistic, and doesn't matches the OT. It whould have been much cooler if Anakin heavily wonded her or something like that, showing that he didn't have a hart anymore, then just dieing from a hartbreak.

I guess you would have to have an understanding of human emotion. Sorry if my explanation was over your head.

-Motto of the Clone Army

Old 01-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
master_skywalke

Quote:
I guess you would have to have an understanding of human emotion. Sorry if my explanation was over your head.
I understand your explanation but I just think it isn't very logical. Things like this give ROTS the feel that GL was forced to make ROTS.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #8
SirLancelot

It's logical if you examine it in the proper context. Anaking was a part of her, in effect. When he "died" a part of her died. You have to look at the spiritual and not just the physical.

-Motto of the Clone Army

Old 01-03-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
master_skywalke

Quote:
It's logical if you examine it in the proper context. Anaking was a part of her, in effect. When he "died" a part of her died. You have to look at the spiritual and not just the physical.
If you look at it like that, then I guess your right. I still think its a bit wierd, but now it atleast sounds logical.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
SirLancelot

I cannot believe I said "Anaking".

-Motto of the Clone Army

Old 01-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #11
master_skywalke

Quote:
I cannot believe I said "Anaking".
LOL!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
SirLancelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_skywalke
If you look at it like that, then I guess your right. I still think its a bit wierd, but now it atleast sounds logical.
I'm glad I could clarify my answer for you. LOL!

-Motto of the Clone Army

Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #13
master_skywalke

Quote:
I'm glad I could clarify my answer for you. LOL!
LOL! Did I just write that?

Old 01-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #14
Brottor
Rookie

I agree with the reasoning you state, but have never really liked that reasoning. Its sound to an extent, but bothers me. As for the first question I would say it was definitely self fulling prophecy, and I have always felt the visions were placed in Anakin(g)'s dreams by Darth Sidious. Just me though.
Brottor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #15
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

I agree Brottor, that could be the case, if so then Sidious might also have killed Padme through the force when she was vulnerable.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2006, 10:37 AM   #16
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brottor
and I have always felt the visions were placed in Anakin(g)'s dreams by Darth Sidious. Just me though.
That's a clever insight, I'll take peace with that Self fulfilling prophecies bother me as well.

Quote:
It's not that. I can 'believe' she died because of Anakin's betrayal. My problem was that the vision is self fulfilling. He has visions that she dies, dying because of decisions he made because of the vision.

-"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."
Old 01-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #17
Lord Neradas
Lurker

We all know that Sidious is behind the entire war,and that he was looking for an apprentice.Maybe he had plagued her through the Force-as it gives life It can also take it away.Maybe he had forseen that if she died Anakin could become his right hand without question.
Or maybe there is another reason-they were Force Bound,and when Padme felt Anakin Skywalker's death and the rise of Darth Vader she lost her will to live.

With great Wisdom comes great Power.
Lord Neradas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-08-2006, 01:14 PM   #18
Alegis
In hiding

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Neradas
and when Padme felt Anakin Skywalker's death and the rise of Darth Vader she lost her will to live.
sigh, that's the problem! She lost that, because Anakin made decisions [fall to dark side] trying to evade that vision [of death] which would be caused by him making a decision trying to save her from death caused by his decision after seeing the vision in which she dies because he changed trying to turn ...

A vicious circle. A fallacy in reasoning in which the premise is used to prove the conclusion, and the conclusion used to prove the premise. She dies because he saw the vision, and he saw the vision because she dies. I hope I made myself clear on that now. The influence of a third party [Sidious] would make sense.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #19
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Ah, so perhaps Palpatine planted the vision in Anakin's mind (knowing how the vision he had of his mother affected him). Anakin didn't know that Palpatine was Sideous and was clouding the vision of the Jedi anyway, so perhaps was vulnerable to such a suggestion. It's a stretch, but maybe it could work. Otherwise it's pretty crazy. Then again self-fulfilling prophecy has been done to death already in Shakespear and other playwrites.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #20
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

I always think, would Padme die if Anakin didn't turn? IF...

Actually I think she would still die.

For some reason I also see Mace would Kill Palpy out of rage eventually or something and Mace turned dark instead... killing Palpy and becoming the Dark Lord.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #21
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Mace wouldn't turn dark if he killed Palpatine, he was fully prepared to kill him during the duel it would not have been an act of rage, Mace was in control.
Mace should have recognised that Anakin was a Sith and killed them both.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 01-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #22
arkodeon
Rookie

I just don't understand.

If everything is PERFECTLY fine, her heart is working, her lungs function, etc. etc.

How exactly did she die? It's not like you could just say... "Alright, my lover deserted me. I die now, kthxbye."

Did she hold her breath?
arkodeon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #23
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

She had her children to live for, it's a ridiculous way to have her die.

- Halo_92

Old 04-20-2006, 11:10 AM   #24
St. Jimmy

It's stupid how she died. she should have been killed by someone "Palpy" hired to turn Anakin to the Dark Side. Or something... You can't just die from losing the will to live, I mean think of all those people who commit suicide. Don't you think they'd die before they got the chance to kill themselfs?
St. Jimmy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #25
lateforwork
Rookie

Like those old couples who die within a few days of one another... if you lose the will to live, it is entirely possible to cease to exist.
lateforwork is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #26
KyleOfHarpenden
Rookie

hmm well, she had kids and was perfectly fine but sidious obviously planted the visions in his mind and wanted padme to die, so he could be powerful(crushing a whole room) most sith usually completely turn when they kill there former masters but obi-wan defeated Anikan so thats y i think he never truly fell(but he did kill obi-wan in the next film but he kinda faded so im not sure if it counted) Padme was a threat.thats it. But he wanted Anikan to taist the dark side thats y he made him kill dooku told him 2 leave Obi-Wan and then when Anikan was confused he asked for MERCY MERCY! the jedi must always show mercy and Anikan like loved rules so he killed Windu over it(very disapointing ending 4 windu) so Sidious planted the visions in his mind to get him to taist the dark side he had nothing left to live for and just kept going he wasnt strong enough to turn away, and thats why in the end Padme died she died because of betrayle broken heart and a lost love, she gave up on life maybe sidious entered her mind and caused it to see like only doubt or somehting like that? Or maybe just maybe she was an idiot lol
KyleOfHarpenden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Anakin's vision...