lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Swimming Animations?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Lightbulb Swimming Animations?

Okay, this has bugged me for a LOOONG time.

Ever play Jedi Knight or Mysteries of the Sith? Awesome swimming ability and animations!

But you get to Jedi Outcast and Academy and it SUCKS!

Not only does your saber go out (which is complete nonesense, that scene in Episode I was NEVER FILMED, so it's not really canon *), but you just unrealistically stread water a little bit.

Check out the earlier games and it's just SO COOL to see your character swimming through a long dark tunnel full of water with only the glow of his saber illuminating the water and the sides of the tunnel. That they didn't take advantage of this in the new engine is beyond me. Or that mission where you had to navigate the water maze before you ran out of air. I really miss that feeling...

CTF maps with water were cool too with secret passageways and shortcuts (that could turn out to be traps!) through water.

The JK2/JA system of just "treading water" and slowing running on the bottom as if you were on land is just dumb and boring. I don't care that JK1/MotS limited you to one saber swing while in water. Hey, it's not like you'd have no disadvantages, right? But as is, water in JK2/JA is just like a cop-out. It might as well be a damage sector, since it's put there to annoy you rather than add a new dimension to gameplay.

I never did try the mod "Hydroball" did that have any new swimming animations?

If so, I think perhaps those animations should be done as a stand alone thing so it can be used anytime, anywhere. In fact, RazorAce should put this into OJP, but my thinking is it'll only go into Enhanced..

If anyone does this, I'm sure it will be well recieved, and I personally will be eternally grateful!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
Ranius
Rookie

i will just say this:
the animations in the JKJO and JKJA do suck wampa horns
and
if you are annoyed by the sabers shutting down in water you can modify them by adding a line "oninwater 1" or something to the .sab file in the /ext_data/ directory.
Ranius is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
Kurgan
Headhunter

Nice... now to get those swimming animations (*I need to check out hydroball! (official site)*)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 04-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #4
Neon
Veteran

Since I played Jedi Knight 1 lately, I also realised JKA needs better swim animations
Neon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
ZemmurkTrooper
Rookie

OK, guys...the JKMod, aka DF2Mod, will definitely try to recreate natural swimming moves like in JK to replace the walking-in-water JO/JA moves.

Stormtrooper For Life! Long Live The Empire!

Dark Forces Mod
http://darkforces.jediknight.net
Mapper

Dark Forces 2 Mod
http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod/
Mapper

Current Projects: JKMod, Tie Fighter Mod, DFMod, Ramsees Hed
ZemmurkTrooper is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
Tinny

I've been wanting to work on those actually, have a freestyle animation while skimming along the surface and a more scuba style anims while really under water while greatly increasing the swim speed. But we'll see.

Redeemed!

An old school mod for jedi academy.
Tinny is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
Kurgan
Headhunter

Awesome guys, I'd love to see that... I still haven't had time to test out HydroBall 2 to see if it adds anything... anybody else?

Old 04-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
Neon
Veteran

Oh, I thought you did. I can try it tomorrow, maybe.
Neon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > Editing/Modding Requests > Swimming Animations?