lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: EaW getting boring?
Yes, i am starting to get bored of it. (Don't play it much) 52 47.71%
50/50 (Its ok not good but it is not boring yet) 30 27.52%
No, I still enjoy EaW not bored of it yet. 27 24.77%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: EaW losing the thrill?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Jmaster3265
Forumite

EaW losing the thrill?

Hello everyone,

This is just a poll i put together asking everyone what they think of EaW now that they have owned it for a few months. Are you starting to get bored of it? Is it not as fun anymore? Are you not playing it as much? Or the opposite?I hope to hear your thoughts!

p.s How come i can edit this post but not the poll? Mods help? I'm not sure if i made it able for every1 to vote once or more. I want them to only be able to vote on only one choice not all 3 or 2. Also i want this poll to last a while.

Jmaster3265 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
wuyanxu
Rookie

im 50/50. bored with the land battle but still very happy with the space battle.

may be it's because i love Homeworld 2?
wuyanxu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #3
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

I also voted for 50/50. I just think it could have been much more better. I'm glad I bought it (it's a pretty nice game), but lets just say that if I could play either EaW or Rebellion right now, I would go for Rebellion.

But then, my DVD drive has been permanently occupied by the Oblivion DVD for the last two weeks...

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Cox_
Rookie

50/50 (Its ok not good but it is not boring yet)

Still unhappy with Multi and so bugs. They better pick it up!
Cox_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I'm a little bored with it, but when Petroglyph releases the SDK and we can make new maps and SSDs models, I'll start playing a lot more.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I just got the game today! so no I am not bored, I think it is great. I hope when I have owned it for a few months I won't get bored with it. But I think with all the great mods people are doing, I'll have plenty to do with it

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Spiralarchitech
Rookie

I find the battles get very repetitive i find online and of using the same tactics (theres only a few useful ones) as the maps are all pretty much the same.

Want a map editor!
Spiralarchitech is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 04:32 AM   #8
Apocalypse|TFL
Rookie

I'm getting bored of it.

There are hardly any options.

There are hardly any strategies to create (Believe me I tried, only a few decent ones can work) EVERY game plays and looks the same, everytime. Just little depth to the game.

Maps are just unbelieveably small and cluttered with such junk making big fleets nigh on impossible. No editor to create your own yet.

Those with high end comps have been penalised because of the very small pop cap. No options to higher or lower this.

Only one game mode in skirmish. Deathmatch, thats it. With such a simple and basic game, you would have though a few more modes of play would have been a good idea. (Hold the territory style modes would have been amazing in this game)

Sort the god damn buddy list thing out before I rip it out of it's damn programming and bury the fookin thing (sorry for swearing but I really detest the buddy thing) Someone messages you and thats it. You HAVE to answer it, you have no choice to do anything else when someone is pm'ing you. You could be halfway through typing something to someone in the lobby and ping, 'you have message or w/e' LOCKING the entire game/lobby/whatever until you say 'yes i will answer' or 'no I won't answer'. Sort it out. Then theres the lobby chat, the ignore feature is great - can't fault that but can you please make it like HomeWorld 2 where you can tab out of a hosted room and see whats going on in the lobby. Can you also PLEASE make group whisper for the buddy list otherwise the entire buddy list is just useless.

The ever-continuing connection problems/Lag/Bad AI/ etc etc........ No, I'm just not gonna get started here....

...................I can rant on about the many more annoying things that just shouldn't be present in a game thats this simple and THAT's the problem isn't it. The very fact these bugs/annoyances are here for me to rant about. The only reason I'm sticking around with this game is there is nothing else of interest out there and Petro seem to be working hard to resolve this (Hopefully) So If Petro read this, Sorry for my anger but if you think I'm angry stay a little longer in the lobbies.

Apocalypse|TFL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
Darth_Extas

I have not been bored with it, although I took a break to begin making an RPG. I am still making a mod for the game, on my own! I do see a way to do more with the game as the mod is comming with the space forces. I have even seen the AI distincly use the new ships that I made!

Sig made by Princess Lyla

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=20872

The Sith will always be around as long as there is hate in the Galaxy.

Dark Hands of the Empire(Clan Member)
Darth_Extas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
Snafu7
Purvayer of Truthiness

I'm getting pretty bored with it, but that's probably because I have been busy with other games, and things in RL, but I'm gonna try to get back into it at some point.
Snafu7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #11
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

I've played both campaigns through on medium, one GC for each side on medium, and am working on an Imperial GC on hard. Of course I will be trying the Rebels on hard next...so no, this game has kept me very well entertained. I look at it like a chess game...maybe it's not as flashy as it could be and I can't tell every single unit exactly what I want it to do and when, but I get a lot out of the strategy involved in moving all the pieces around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse|TFL
Those with high end comps have been penalised because of the very small pop cap. No options to higher or lower this.
You know, the unit caps are there for gameplay reasons, not performance reasons.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
DarthMaulUK

Im not bored. Just VERY frustrated at times not knowing if some things are actual in game issues or me just being stupid.

Example. Today, as the Empire - it seemed that none of my ships could cause any damage. Yes I am aware of shields etc and targeting them.

Firstly, it took four attempts to destroy Home 1 with the Hyper gun (when i was rebels the other day, it took 2) and it took FIVE VSDs a good 1 minute to destroy a ship with just 3% left on its lasers!

Its very weird and annoying at the same time.

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #13
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I am bored. Maybe because I am a badass and playing a **** load of BFME II online. Which kicks ass. Though, I have to say EaW as a batter campaign.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #14
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Games lose their appeal over time. E@W has been out for almost two months, it is natural to see the fun go away. It happens with most games these days. Except for a few of course.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
Games lose their appeal over time. E@W has been out for almost two months, it is natural to see the fun go away. It happens with most games these days. Except for a few of course.
I have to agree with that, though EaW still is pretty fun to play it is starting to get repetitive. With the lack of maps the battles seem to be all the same. It needs to be more advanced in my opinion. It needs more features and tactics.

> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator
popcorn2008 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #16
DarthMaulUK

Once we can make new maps etc, there will be a surge again. Cant wait for that.

DMUK
Old 04-09-2006, 04:24 PM   #17
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

One of the problem is that EaW differs from traditional RTSs. Back in SWGB, we could make some really nice RPG-like campaigns with cool features. This would not work in EaW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge2211
You know, the unit caps are there for gameplay reasons, not performance reasons.
I don't know what are these "gameplay reasons" are, but I really think that Petro did a mistake here. The game's main problem is the size. Everything is so SMALL. Rebellion might not let me use fancy attacks or target specific systems, but at least I can make fleets than actually look scary. And it has diplomacy and special missions! (I know, I know, I'm beating the dead horse).

I'm looking foward to a few mods myself (the one that adds prequel stuff in particular). But other than that, the game lost much of it's appeal. The more I think about it, I wonder if I would have enjoyed BFME2 more. It's more conventional, but at least I could have had some fun online. But then, I had already decided that I would boycott it, and I bought EaW mostly as a time killer before TES IV anyway.

It's sad to say, but I think we'll have to wait for a StarCraft II before we see another really good RTS. Then perhaps a talented individual could make a Star Wars mod out of this.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #18
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, but StarCraft Gameplay wouldn't fit StarWars very well (if it follows the path of the first one).

I agree though, Blizzard better start working on it. They'll make more money with StarCraft 2 then with World of WarCraft (yes, I dare make that claim, StarCraft being the most popular RTS in history).

Old 04-09-2006, 05:23 PM   #19
Spiralarchitech
Rookie

On the pc EAW is a good strategy game, if it came out on consoles it would be an excellent strategy game.

Its pretty easy to get to grips with and would suit console players more than it would pc. gamers.

Most of the complaints i've seen is that the game is a bit lite when it comes to strategy and why not pc gamers prefer to get their teeth into something with a bit more in depth, we have the best rts games (long list) and the best strategy games (rome:tw) with the best ai out there (civIV/gal civ2)

This is another reason why we have not seen starcraft2 yet, its a very hard game to make, if blizzard copy the first game and just add flashy graphics they'll get accused of just lacking originality if they don't and attempt new ideas they risk making a crap game.

What they need for starcraft 2 is a small miracle of genius with a bit of luck thrown in.

Sadly though none of this can be taught or bought though.
Spiralarchitech is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #20
Admiral Sith

Havnt played it for a month or two, so i guess that counts as bored of it.

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Admiral Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #21
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiralarchitech
What they need for starcraft 2 is a small miracle of genius with a bit of luck thrown in.
But StarCraft was never original, nor is any of the Blizzard games truly revolutionary in any sense. Blizzard takes what exists and does it better then the others. That's their strength.

Of course, elitists will complain about its lack of x y z, but the game will have its own charm combined with an immersive universe and a great story. That's what they're good at and that's what they usually capitalize upon.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:24 PM   #22
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
well, i've already moved on to other games like Galactic Civilizations and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. once the SDK comes out, though, i'll more than likely get involved into modding aspects and what not. especially since i'm very much looking forward to adding/changing certain things.

until then, i'll probably be on either of the two games mentioned above (whenever i'm not in my studies, at least. hehe...)

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #23
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
I don't think that E@W is so different then other games and to this regard, is any really long lasting anymore? The games that have a good lasting appeal can be counted on my fingers (I have ten mind you).
I think that it's simply the trend or how games are made in our day and age. They're made so that they last 1 month, 2 months at most and then people move on. That's how most of the time it is now.
So saying or complaining that E@W is losing its thrill over a short period of time should become games, in general, are losing their thrill over a short period of time.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 AM   #24
Admiral Z

Haven't played it because of Oblivion.
Admiral Z is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 03:06 AM   #25
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Of course after the initial shine of the new product wears off people will start getting bored with it. As LIAYD, only a few games (KotOR - I'm looking at you) can hold my attention for long periods of time.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 05:09 AM   #26
DarthMaulUK

online is still fun. the land battles are just that. alot of fun. shame its on gamespy, but you learn to deal with that.

DMUK
Old 04-10-2006, 08:04 AM   #27
DasFlo
Rookie

I sadly haven't touched it for a while now, blame that new Advernture-Fps... uhm I mean RPG.
But I was starting to get bored anyways, and I'm not sure about the size of the community and how much of it will be left at the time a sdk finally comes out.
I just hope the best, as I would like a bit more out of this game than what's presently available...
DasFlo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #28
gswift

I'm still playing it all the time, but I only do multiplayer now. I've made some online friends and my brother just got the game. Working out organized team strategies has given the game a second wind for me. I do think that there are some unit imballances that make space combat somewhat predictable though. I'm looking forward to the next patch, as I've heard that they plan to tweak ship stats a little more. The xwing mine rush and the acclamator base assault are a little tiresome.

Gary Swift (aka gswift)
Lenexa, Kansas USA

You can try to monkey-proof your program, but you'll never monkey-proof the monkey.
gswift is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #29
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMaulUK
Once we can make new maps etc, there will be a surge again. Cant wait for that.

DMUK
Or a sequel.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #30
wuyanxu
Rookie

Quote:
it took FIVE VSDs a good 1 minute to destroy a ship with just 3% left on its lasers!
that happened to me a few times, really annoy when that's the only ship left and all your ships' fire seems to be missing all the time.... stupid gunners
Old 04-11-2006, 03:08 AM   #31
DarthMaulUK

In all honesty, I really dont know what some of you guys expect. I stuck on Rome: Total war yesterday for the first time in a while because my new Internet ISP makes me wait 20 minutes to get online then I only get 1 MB instead of 8!

So, having remembered what was said here about EaW being boring, etc, RTW is the same formula. You start your battle - set up your army, then fight. Its the same for all RTS games now.

Do you think in the quest to give us gamers what we want - ie removing micromanagement - the games have become boring because all we do now is just fight?

Granted, AOE 3 still offers the micromanagement in a dull and terrible way but it does seem that sometimes, we all want a little too much. EaW never set out to be Rebellion but it does deliver alot of fun - especially online in multiplayer and I highly recomend everyone to get online and play some ground battles!

DMUK

DMUK
Old 04-11-2006, 03:31 AM   #32
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Well it depends on what you want, and unfortunately games these days are made for the lowest common denominator.

One game I love (but don't play because it keeps crashing on XP) is "Jane's Fleet Command". It's a real-world Navy RTS, but it is very accurate and so is really different to most RTS'. It is quite complex because you have to juggle a million things at once, but you also have to make decisions like 'should I turn my radar on?'. Sure, it might seem like a good idea, but if you do, your enemy can detect the emissions at a range greater than you can see.

So as I said, it's about the lowest common denominator. Personally, I like really complex and involved games, but most people just want quick mindless battles.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 AM   #33
†Saint_Killa†

Getting really bored at it. Better make an expansion or release mod tools.

"You cannot kill which you did not create."

-Duality
†Saint_Killa† is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #34
ragnaroc
Lurker

i hate to say it but i was bored after a couple days and havn';t really played the game since. It just isn;t enjoyable. its WAY too repetitive and the AI is whack. If you are a galactic power you are not going to keep ALL your ships in the galaxy in the same fleet.

anyway, it IS what the developers said they were building but they should have given it more depth. and kept the ships more star warsee(broadside cruiser??)

I may try the total realism mod as that could improve some things.

come on mod tools...

your our only hope!
ragnaroc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #35
Apocalypse|TFL
Rookie

To be honest, Petro made this game with good intentions but I think they tried to do too many things at once. The game looks like it has amazing potential but when you get right down to the nitty gritty, it's just too simple and everything about the game is so small, far too small considering it's set in a Star Wars universe/scope.

The game is easily fixable though and I'm sure Petro will be working hard to make things better.

Apocalypse|TFL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #36
Lord hobo
Rookie

well im bored of it cus those damm exception errors after a system format i cant be bothered to put it on becuase of those errors
Lord hobo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #37
wuyanxu
Rookie

Quote:
Petro made this game with good intentions but I think they tried to do too many things at once.
quoted for agreement and truth
Old 04-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #38
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
Quote:
Petro made this game with good intentions but I think they tried to do too many things at once.
quoted for agreement and truth
I believe quite the opposite. The game is lacking in many fun gameplay features that would have made it all the better. The implemation of diplomacy, damage, and many other inovative features would make the game more replayable.

> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator
popcorn2008 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #39
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
I don't think that E@W is so different then other games and to this regard, is any really long lasting anymore? The games that have a good lasting appeal can be counted on my fingers (I have ten mind you).
I think that it's simply the trend or how games are made in our day and age. They're made so that they last 1 month, 2 months at most and then people move on. That's how most of the time it is now.
So saying or complaining that E@W is losing its thrill over a short period of time should become games, in general, are losing their thrill over a short period of time.
Sadly, the age of Baldur's Gate is gone. Heck, even Oblivion feels smaller than Morrowind. The problem with modern technologies is that game developpers spend more time making fancy granhpics than a long, lasting game. KotOR was excellent - clearly one of my favourite game of all time. But it *was* short.

Replay-value in RTSs come from multiplayer. Sadly, multiplayer has never been well supported in LA games. I played Warcraft III a lot online. I have been playing less since last summer though; but it has still been more than 3 years since it was released (4 in a couple of months). Battle.net is, quite simply, extraordinary.

NeverWinter Nights 2 (comming this summer) should have a great lasting appeal. If there's one thing I've learned from NWN1, it's that you can't judge NWN games by looking at the official campaign. NWN is probably the game I have played the most; and that's saying something. Once the player-made modules start rolling, it has one of the best replay-value of any computer game.

And DMUK : I really hate to say this (especially since you're a supermod ) but could you stop the LA propaganda? With all due respect, I think you are getting a bit close-minded.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #40
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
^^^^
Silence peon! All hail LucasArts!
Still, AoE III did suck >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
So as I said, it's about the lowest common denominator. Personally, I like really complex and involved games, but most people just want quick mindless battles.
You hit it quite on the nail. Most "hardcores" complain about the lack of complexity which sometimes feels like a lack of depth. I think it's fortunate that we even half PC games that require half a brain. Considering the market for RTS and its attempt at re-expansion, some sacrifices were made and are necessary for the genre to flourish properly.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > EaW losing the thrill?