lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Romance Options for Kotor 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-30-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
Phaedra36
Rookie

Romance Options for Kotor 3

I think that the dialouge should be the top priority for the next one, after all it IS an RPG and so many plot holes were introduced at the end of Kotor 2.
In Kotor I, Carth and Bastila were kinda left behind as Revan went into the Outer Rim. I do think there should be re-united to end their misery . Some complaints about the romantic dialouge was it seemed like it was never going to come and then BOOM, Revan and Carth/Bastila were madly in love.
In Kotor II, I only played through once so far but concerning Atton..He was very flirtatious and talkative at the beginning, and just holed up toward the end. He had one of the most surprising stories and unforunately, only hinted at liking your character to other npc's and never coming out and saying it like Carth or Bastila.
So I would like some more flirtatious elements, maybe you and that special someone takes a day off admist all the war and enjoys a day out on the town with no interruptions, just pure rp. And I would also like more dialouge choices to ones that are labeled love interests (perhaps once every level), and it having a definite end to perhaps all 3 couples. It doesn't have to be horribly mushy, but definitely it needs some closure.
Thoughts anyone?
Phaedra36 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Personally, I think heavy romance plotlines in stories with Jedi seem a bit out of wack, and I'd rather the game not get too involved in that stuff.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 10:30 AM   #3
Darth Sun_Tzu
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Personally, I think heavy romance plotlines in stories with Jedi seem a bit out of wack, and I'd rather the game not get too involved in that stuff.
I have to agree, for me romances are a bit a waste of time.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!
Darth Sun_Tzu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
*Atris*

NOOOOO!!! Romances made the game great, and added a excellent element of role playing!
KEEP THEM! MAKE MORE!

But more so that you don't have to pursue them, (as in jade empire, you could end up with a mixture of romance options, or do none)
*Atris* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Vladimir-Vlada
Counselor Idealist

I was thinking of an idea that concerned the entire crew. That your relationship with them could affect the outcome of the story. Who falls to the dark side and who makes what kind of a decision, depending on the personality. Romances should be included.
Vladimir-Vlada is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
Jeremia Skywalk
Rookie

I think romance could he neutral ending (oh pleeeease make neutral ending) Lol i dunno, but well remember Jolee, he was neutral and said that luv is ok. so i think if you would be neutral, you could beat the boss, than say "Screw u, galaxy" And go live peacefull life with ur love. Cammon it'd be great i think, on other hand that could be a bit of waste of developing time, so yeah i just hope that they just make it good.
Jeremia Skywalk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
You know love is not a bad idea. Passion which can lead to rage and fear can be learned to be controlled. Love itself in the end will save you. While the fear of loss is a path to the dark side and possession can lead to jealousy, love is one of those emotions that has its good and bad affects. If we did not have love, we could embrace cruelty but on the other hand love can bring about jealousy. It can also give a certain strength like something worth fighting for. Anakin had the right idea, he just let his fear and jealousy and hatred dictate his actions and ended up killing that which he loved.
Romance in the game is ok in my book. I personally thought it had a flair of Star Wars in it considering the films had romance and love. I often thought of what happened to Revan and the love for Bastilla or Carth.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

If there is romance then I don't want it to come in at the very end of the game like KotOR 1.
Bastila: "I love you with all my heart". I couldn't help but thinking to myself, Oh... OK... well I guess i'll just do the last 2 minutes of the game then...

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-30-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
Phaedra36
Rookie

Well I was just thinking of that idea from FFVII. Maybe you could win prizes by completing different mini-games with your love interest. I still think that Kotor I and II romances should be final though. They are still so left up in the air. Will Carth/Bastila ever see Revan again? I mean it could be at the end and have a nice reunion. What about the exile and their love interest? If it is continous and the characters from I and II are connected (both Exile and Revan had to go to the Outer Rim) so it would only be rational to gain some closure from their relationships with each other. Doesn't have to be too heavy, but I would like to see Revan and Carth/Bastila definitely be together as well as the Exile/love interest.
It could only take up a few cutscenes since you would have your own character and love interest to have.
Being in love on a RPG can produce many elements as well. What if two Jedis fell in love with you? Lust leads to love, love leads to jealousy, jealousy leads to hatred, hatred leads to the dark side. It does not have to be mushy like I noted before, but being in love with another NPC can bring up so many different elements that would make it exciting. I mean, what if the two jedis fought over you and one npc permanently killed the other npc?
Any more thoughts concerning this subject?
@MachineCult Lmao I know. I would like to play a good amount of the game having your love interest and your character have already declared their love for each other. Perhaps later conversations could deal with what you wanted to do after all this, not sure.

Last edited by Phaedra36; 01-30-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
jedijones
Rookie

I'd like to see some romance between Bastila and Atton (if Revan was male and the Exile female.) They've both been left behind by someone they love and are lonely...
jedijones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #11
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
I think it's a must for K3.
In SW episode 3, the story was about relationships. In Kotor 1, it was about relationships. And K2 didn't have it, so it felt kind of...empty.
If they want to reach the sell records of part 1, they have create better NPC-conversations.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #12
BaabaduHeHe
Lurker

Well, i think that in the KotorIII romance, there should be some ''hate'' too! Like , if the enimy ''evil guy sith'' falls in love with the player... that would be so cool! It has been never used before, and its so romantic! *sigh* .... I hope that happens.. lol :P

Hello! Does anyone wana be my friend? Or maybe foe?I would like one, cuz i eat jedi, and i also drink them.... So... ya wana be my friend or no?
BaabaduHeHe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 09:22 AM   #13
Aurora Merlow

i for 1 don't mind a bit of romance in the game, i mean it certainly added something to Kotor1 that was lacking in 2. Not sure it has to be as full on as some have suggested maybe just a sidequest, and definitely think they need to tie up the lose ends from 1 and 2, but that will hopefully come when it ties up all the other questions. I think K3 needs better NPC conversation options than K2 anyway. But a bit of romance is a given for 3 in my opinion
Aurora Merlow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
Seamhainn
Forumite

Me thinks romance is a must, too.
Seamhainn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Romance is ok. I'm leaning more with what Prime said, I don't think they are really essential or fit well with the Jedi. But I am fine with just a little bit, as long as they don't overdo it. But I kind of like what Vlad said.
RobQel-Droma is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM   #16
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
I see. Love was a non essential in the movies but they put it in anyway and it fit. Yes too much makes it look silly but a little with feelings gradually revealled, now that is a good romance. It could also affect the crew, the preference of one crew member and the others can have their say.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:23 PM   #17
darthsidious666
Rookie

I don't think there should be romance in KotOR 3. I just think there are more areas of the game they should focus on. Not to mention it was pointless in KotOR, and will be pointless in KotOR 3.
darthsidious666 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster12
I see. Love was a non essential in the movies but they put it in anyway and it fit.
Are you talking to me?

If so, don't get me wrong, I just think that in a game like KOTOR there are more important things - I don't want it to be a "top priority" like the thread starter said.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #19
Killwithhonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir-Vlada
I was thinking of an idea that concerned the entire crew. That your relationship with them could affect the outcome of the story. Who falls to the dark side and who makes what kind of a decision, depending on the personality. Romances should be included.
I would love this, it would be a great step for the Kotor series, it would give you an even more selection on what you get to do, maybe even be able to select your crew, that would be cool 2! I cant wait

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...-darksaber.gif
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max for all combined images, Forum Rules. Yours is 130 tall need to trim it down to 120. ~ SWK Staff
Killwithhonor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 PM   #20
FiEND_138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Going to have to agree with this as well.

FiEND_138 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 06:01 PM   #21
Clone L68362
Forumite

I want the option of turning down an NPC that has fallen for you over the course of your journey. Then they can run away and later in the game you meet them as a Dark Jedi. I'd say more...but I don't feel like it right now.

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 PM   #22
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQel-Droma
Are you talking to me?

If so, don't get me wrong, I just think that in a game like KOTOR there are more important things - I don't want it to be a "top priority" like the thread starter said.
Yeah I was. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that romance should have the shotgun seat, that goes to a completed storyline. What I was trying to get at is that is could be a little bit of a flair, a nice little extra; one of Darth InSidious' "doohickeys"

Old 01-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #23
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
I see. Love was a non essential in the movies but they put it in anyway and it fit.
Love was essential in the movies, Anakins fall to the dark side and the birth of the twins wasn't essential to the movies? It is exactly what the movies are about.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 07:53 PM   #24
ForceFightWMe12
LFN Staff Emeritus

Current Game: Dragon's Dogma
Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! Hot Topic Starter 
I say that a (good) romance plot would be the best for this one. Of course, Exile, and Revan would have to come back and reunite with Mical/Atton/Briana/Visas and Revan would have to com back for Bastila/Carth. I think that there should be more than one romance option, as in KotOR II, but it would have to have much more...effect on the game, as in KotOR I. And it would have to be written well, like in KotOR I...

ForceFightWMe12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 08:18 PM   #25
RobQel-Droma
Blah

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that romance should have the shotgun seat, that goes to a completed storyline. What I was trying to get at is that is could be a little bit of a flair, a nice little extra; one of Darth InSidious' "doohickeys"
I know, I don't have a problem with what you are suggesting. My main point in my earlier post was agreeing with Prime on the fact that I don't want KOTOR to get heavily involved in that kind of stuff. I don't really have a problem with the romance stuff itself.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 PM   #26
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
A romance option would be a nice addition, but I don't think it's essential. A good plot and well-writen characters are far more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 10:18 PM   #27
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

My own personal opinion here is that love should play a major part to resolving things for the light side. That does not necessarily mean "romance." Maybe it would have a "been there, done that" feel, but I would like to see an ending a la ROTJ where love provides the motivation and strength for overcoming "The True Sith." Let Jolee Bindo be vindicated!

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2006, 10:55 PM   #28
Clone L68362
Forumite

That is kind of a universal theme, that love is like...good and good is better than evil...so romance should probably still play a good role.

Still would rather romance takes the turn of having an NPC fall in love with you, and you can turn them down.

My sig is stupid.
Clone L68362 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 03:14 AM   #29
Carthaholic
Rookie

I'd like to see romance in KotOR 3 but something well done and with good dialogues, just like in the first game but even better preferably. They could push things a bit futher by, I dunno, having us complete a specific series of quests to advance in the romance plot. Also they could have some dialogues trigger only when you are with your love interest in a certain location on a planet or something... They could have love triangles as well and ensuing rivalries and disputes between NPCs (they missed their chance to do that in the second game methinks). Could be interesting, no?

[Force Persuade] You want to visit my art gallery... HERE!!!

- Carthaholic
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max for all combined images, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
Carthaholic is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #30
Dylan Klay
Rookie

I agree. I think it'd add a dynamic, with the love triangles. Maybe, you get betrayed by the loosing end of the love triangle? Kinda like what Anakin hinted that Obi-wan did with Padme. They might make it like the old Baldur's Gate romance line hehe.
Dylan Klay is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #31
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
Love was essential in the movies, Anakins fall to the dark side and the birth of the twins wasn't essential to the movies? It is exactly what the movies are about.
And the love of a son for the father that redeemed Vader in the end.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #32
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Prime, you and MachineCult got me on that one. What I meant was that while romance is part of it, I don't want it to be a big deal. I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of KOTOR 1. I believe Rob said something along similar lines.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #33
Phaedra36
Rookie

Ok, in general dialouge should be one of the top priorities. After all, the Kotor series is an RPG game and almost 100% of the time, there will be love in that game. Besides, one of Star Wars major themes was love because of Anakin like other people have said. I will stress again, it doesn't have to be mushy. "Oh I love you sweetie pie! Lets go and cuddle and make cutesy faces at each other."
What I am saying is that according to the Sith and the Jedi, love is one of the most dangerous things. I think that the next Kotor should have betrayal, should have jealousy, revenge, lust, anger, and love. After all, it seems like the Outer Rim is infested with dark side planets so these elements should come into play. Temptation should be one of the underlying themes of Kotor 3 in my opinion considering the setting they are in.
So I think that admist all that chaos, some love should be formed and I think you should be able to love someone also on many different levels. Sisterly love, the love best friends have over each other maybe?
And above all else the already existing romantic plots should be filled out to satisfy the average rper such as my myself. They don't need to be married or have babies, just I would like to see some reunited and stuff.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #34
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I would rather not have any romance options at all. Or, depending on who the characters are, I wouldn't mind some dialog options like in K1 with a male Revan always talking about how she can't resist him, etc. But if the romance is more in-depth, I'd rather it be with your party members and not your Jedi PC.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #35
Phaedra36
Rookie

But it is going to be silly if lets say old members of Kotor I comes and there is no dialouge between Revan and Carth/Bastila. Obviously you are going to see Revan in the 3rd one or Kreia wouldn't have talked about it and the Exile going to the Outer Rim, you know? There at least has to be a few cutscenes. I mean, what I would be satisfied with was a few cutscenes between Revan and the love interest..Exile and the love interest and the main focus would be the main character. Like you know how some characters if they are in the same party talk together for a couple of times and then not really talk anymore?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #36
Sith_Reven
Rookie

Kotor needs the romance stuff. Kotor1 wasn't bad for it but Kotor2 was lacking with Visas for male and atton, disciple and visas for female. It is a good sidequest in the games for a change and needs to stay. They should go indepth in kotor3 with the romance, and with a choice of party because everyone has their own likes, even if it is only a game. Yeh, good idea

Savior, conquerer, Hero, Villian... You are all things Revan, and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the darkness nor the light. You will forever stand alone.
-Malak
Sith_Reven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #37
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I think a little romance lightens the whole thing up a bit and gives you a break from hack and slash. I'd like to see more of those witty little side comments between PC and NPC and NPC/NPC interaction, too. I don't think romance should be the main thing, and I certainly think you should be able to opt out if you don't want to roleplay that way (my son is at the age where kissing is just yucky, so he'd love to not have to be subjected to anything romantic). However, from a roleplaying standpoint, some romance in a style more like K1 than TSL would add some fun for a lot of us.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-06-2006, 02:49 AM   #38
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

So Phaedra36 you want attachment but you want it to lead to jealousy and betrayal? Sounds a bit soap opera to me but I catch your drift about not wanting it to be mushy. Who really wants that?

Old 02-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #39
Meatbag
Rookie

Heck, even make K3 PG-13 and make it more complete on the romance side.
Meatbag is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2006, 03:13 AM   #40
Phaedra36
Rookie

Quote:
So Phaedra36 you want attachment but you want it to lead to jealousy and betrayal? Sounds a bit soap opera to me but I catch your drift about not wanting it to be mushy. Who really wants that?
That's not what I am saying >.> All I said was love can lead to many things, which it did include in other Star Wars movies and games. Mercy, Betrayal, Revenge, Jealousy..etc. It doesn't have to be like for example..
Bastila: No Revan is mine!
Random person: That is not what he said to me last night!
Bastila: *whips out her lightsaber and almost kills random person*Now I gave into my anger, I switched to the Dark side again! Mwahaha.
What I am trying to say Jedi Master, is that is all the movies are based on love really. An underlying theme of love on top of action-packed, lightsaber swinging action. I am not saying Love has to dominate the game, but it should have a strong impact and yes, it could add a few dramatic surprises from the more.. negative effects love can bring.
On the other hand,Love can also lighten up the mood (like other people have said) when you are immersed in such a deep and dark storyline.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Romance Options for Kotor 3