lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The SW Kid Case
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
The SW Kid Case

Finally a chance to take a break from the grind of politics!

Now, we all know about the "Star Wars Kid."

But he filed a lawsuit against the families of the teens who posted his video on the internet. They have since settled out-of-court.

Read all about it, where else, wiki!

----------------

There are so many frivolous lawsuits, and this is a perfect example of one. If you make a video of yourself, and then don't take out the tape, you're a ****ing idiot and deserve to be ridiculed as such.

I know that the kid gets sympathy from other victims of bullying, but what's the best way to deal with a bully? Well, this kid could start by getting up off his fat ass and get some muscle. Maybe if this kid did his lightsaber moves everyday he'd drop a few pounds. Besides, he brought the bullying on himself. It's not like he's being teased because he's ugly or something, which isn't something that you really bring onto yourself.

So in summary, **** him. He did this to himself.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #2
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
Bullying is a pretty big problem in schools... :|

Sure, the guy's pretty stupid, but no one should be bullied. Dealing with bullies isn't quite that easy for some people.

I think he's goofy, and he should have taken it in stride and kept his head up. But he didn't.

"Sue or sue not, there is no trial."





That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
Bullying is a pretty big problem in schools... :|

Sure, the guy's pretty stupid, but no one should be bullied. Dealing with bullies isn't quite that easy for some people.
Yes it is, as it is in the real world. Since the curriculum in school sucks, the best thing that schools have to offer is learning how to deal with people, which is why homeschooling sucks.

Let's face reality. Sheltering kids from "mean" kids and having the teachers acting as baby-sitters is no way to prepare someone for the dog-eat-dog world. One day you will face a nasty co-worker, or a mean boss, or a road-raging driver, and if you don't know how to deal with these people then you're screwed.

A little bullying isn't going to harm you. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Now, I would never be a bully, and I frown upon those who do, but there are mean people out there and that's not going to change. People aren't going to just be nice because it's the right thing to do. That's not how society works.

And in Star Wars Kid's situation, I have no sympathy for him whatsoever, considering that he's the one who taped himself in the first place. If you're an idiot, you will be treated as one. That's how it is in school, and it's how it is in real life. He needs to learn to grow up and deal with it, and I don't mean by suing. As far as I'm concerned, he's being the bully now.

"Ooo I'll sue you 'cuz I don't like what you did to me! Nanananana!"

I guess what goes around comes around eh?
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 02:13 AM   #4
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
There was a thread on this topic in Ahto to which Insane Sith replied: "**** that fat ****". I agreed with it then and I agree with it now.

F*** that fat f***.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,531
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I dunno... I still feel for the kid. We've all done stupid, embarrassing things that if anyone found out about we would never, ever hear the end of it. This kid had that done to him at the international level. That can't feel good.

People gave me s*** the whole time I went to school. I'm not sure how I would have coped with something like this... I don't think any of us can really say.

Should it have led to litigation, though? I'm not sure... probably not. However, I can see the appeal of trying to turn this stupid situation to your financial advantage anyway you can. Hey, why the hell not? If you already find yourself scarred for life, at least try to make a few bucks off of it if you can.

Truthfully,.. I would rather see him go that route than to do nothing and save it all up, and pull a Columbine when he gets to high school.

But that's just me...


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
toms
v0.9
 
toms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: uk swamp
Posts: 3,490
He should have sued them for everything he could get... i hope he got enough to at least piss off their parents for raising such callous and uncaring kids.



Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Joe©
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Still playing guild wars
Posts: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Yes it is, as it is in the real world. Since the curriculum in school sucks, the best thing that schools have to offer is learning how to deal with people, which is why homeschooling sucks.
Deal with people? What do you mean by that? Sit around and chat with their friends? Get in trouble? Deal with a some other kid that made fun of you in front of your friends?

I think homeschoolers learn plenty about that. Least I have.
Although I would like to just knock a few teeth out of some people I know.

As far as bullying goes. You have to deal with it, there is always going to be someone out there more meaner than you are, but people (like this kid) that do not have a backbone need to grow a pair...

Being grown up is not about being able to buy smokes or beer or anything, its about being able to handle situations on your own, in a mature and reasonable fashion (Something this kid is not doing)


Beer! Beer leads to drinking! Drinking leads to hangovers! Hangovers... Lead to suffering!

Yes I sense much Beer in you.
Joe© is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Good Sir Knight
Junior Member
 
Good Sir Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Posts: 285
Eh this isn't surprising, the kid has every right to sue and if he's awarded his money..well thats just how it works. As lame as it sounds, thats how it works in America and compared to other frivolous cases... this one isn't too bad.

(Hot coffee ring a bell?)

I get a little more pissed off when people sue their insurance company or pretend like their kneck hurts after a fender bender.
Good Sir Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
I dunno... I still feel for the kid. We've all done stupid, embarrassing things that if anyone found out about we would never, ever hear the end of it. This kid had that done to him at the international level. That can't feel good.
True, but you probably wouldn't VIDEO TAPE yourself doing said stupid, embarrassing thing. If you're going to do a stupid, embarassing thing, DON'T VIDEO TAPE YOURSELF DOING IT.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
Because he knew someone'd find it right?

It's like sex tapes - not intended to get out into public. But they do.

Is it the fault of the person being taped or the fault of the tape stealers?

Private property rights.

Kid should sue their asses off.

He's still stupid though.




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,531
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
How old was he when he made this tape?

Since the rational judgement part of your brain isn't totally functional until you are in your late teens/ early 20s, chances are he wasn't really thinking about all the possibilities.
Plus, he might have been a more trusting person and never stopped to think that somebody would do that with his tape. (Although I'm sure that part of him has been burned away forever... )


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
Because he knew someone'd find it right?
He'd be beyond stupid if he thought that no one would find it left in the studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
Is it the fault of the person being taped or the fault of the tape stealers?

Private property rights.
You need to read the wiki article, Mikey.

"On or around April 19, 2003, the original owner of the tape discovered Ghyslain's recorded acts and immediately shared it with some friends."

It isn't even his tape. He took someone else's tape and used it to record himself. The original owner had every right to share it, post it all over the internet if he wanted to. It was HIS TAPE TO BEGIN WITH!

There isn't and shouldn't be a basis to sue some families just because the kids were being mean to him. Because you got picked on and teased and you were too much of a little bitch to deal with it doesn't give you the legal basis for a lawsuit.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,531
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
If there was no basis, then the case would have been dismissed outright. The fact that it almost went to trial shows that there was enough of a case.

Pain and suffering, and mental anguish are enough to hang a lawsuit on.


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
If there was no basis, then the case would have been dismissed outright. The fact that it almost went to trial shows that there was enough of a case.
There's a lot of frivolous lawsuits that go to trial, and a lot that even happen to win. The classic slip, fall, sue for example, and more recently the finger-in-the-chilli case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
Pain and suffering, and mental anguish are enough to hang a lawsuit on.
Oh, give me a break! If people make fun of you because you're an idiot, maybe you shouldn't be an idiot. There are consequences to your actions. If you use someone's tape to record yourself doing something stupid, then when people see it and make fun of you, blame no one but yourself. Plus, if you are truely so damaged and go through pain and suffering and anguish because some kids called you a name everyday, you are weak and will never make it in life. He needs to toughen the hell up for the sake of his own survival.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 09:42 PM   #15
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,531
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
All I'm saying is that if people were giving you s*** everyday, and a lawyer approached you and said: "Listen, I can give you 2 choices;
First: You've lost your dignity, and people are going to treat you like a tool all the time.
Second: You've lost your dignity, and people are going to treat you like a tool all the time... but with a big cash settlement."
Which one are you going to go for? If you are anything like a normal person, you are going to grab what's behind door number 2, aren't you?
I mean, if you're gonna get grief either way you slice it, why not try to sweeten the deal for yourself?
I can't feel at all hostile to him for working the system for what it's worth. If it came down to me to develop a thick skin and a backbone while broke, and developing a thick skin and a backbone with a trust fund... hey, call me mercenary, but my vote is for the trust fund. Again, why the hell not? I didn't make the laws, and I don't exactly approve, but as long as they exist and you can possibly exploit them for your own benefit, why wouldn't you?

You also assume it's the kid who is actually doing all of this himself. My guess it's his parents who are behind a lot of this, at least the litigation part.

And why did the other parents settle if there wasn't a case? They could have gone to trial and possibly won, further humiliating him in public.


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #16
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
That's the damn truth.

I'd do the same if I were in his position. I wouldn't really care about the distribution of the video, maybe comments like fatass or whatever, but hah, I'd laugh at them and go buy myself an Escalade with the money I won.




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 11:34 PM   #17
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Sir Knight
Eh this isn't surprising, the kid has every right to sue and if he's awarded his money..well thats just how it works. As lame as it sounds, thats how it works in America and compared to other frivolous cases... this one isn't too bad.
The kid lives in Canada.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 11:43 PM   #18
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
It seems that you have the same attitude as the people who slip and fall on their ass, then sue the place because they see the chance to grab some cash. You KNOW the lawsuit is frivolous... but you'd want some cash anyway.

First: You slap and fall, and now you're hurt."
Second: You slap and fall, and now you're hurt... but you can get some money out of it for yourself."

When you go to a store and buy something, you are paying MORE for it because the cost of frivolous lawsuits against the store has been added into the price you're paying. YOU are paying for the mistakes of OTHER people who very well might have done it on purpose, too.

Of course, that little bit is unrelated to the SW Kid case since it's suing the families, but the point still stands: frivolous lawsuits are BAD. The world would be a better place if there weren't greedy bastards suing people over crap that's their own damn fault to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
And why did the other parents settle if there wasn't a case? They could have gone to trial and possibly won, further humiliating him in public.
Well, I don't know but I can speculate that it would be cheaper to just settle... Michael Jackson settled in at least one case... doesn't mean he's guilty eh? *Opens can of worms*

But might I have sued in the same situation? I don't know. Maybe, because at the spur of the moment you're feeling irrational. But if I did the same thing as he has done, I'd deserve and expect to be ridiculed as a greedly little prick.

The principle is that you don't sue because you got your feelings hurt. You don't sue because you got teased or picked on. If everyone who got bullied at school sued the family of the bully, there would be no end of these lawsuits... families would be destroyed because the parents can't afford to pay up... and you can say goodbye to freedom of speech (oooo I can sue you now 'cuz what you said hurt me)!
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
Joe©
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Still playing guild wars
Posts: 306
Hmmm... I should release the films of Samuel Dravis running around town dressed like a ninja... I dunno the bugger might sue me

I know I could never sue, even in his shoes. It just makes him into a bigger idiot than he already is. I actully had not heard of the SWK till now, and intend to watch the vidio just because hes being a pain.


Beer! Beer leads to drinking! Drinking leads to hangovers! Hangovers... Lead to suffering!

Yes I sense much Beer in you.
Joe© is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #20
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
OH NOES! FAMILIES CAN'T AFFORD TO FUND BULLYING?!

TK, listen to yourself man. You're desensitizing the issue and drawing straw men that don't directly follow this. Bullying on a local level and mass ridicule are two entirely different entities.

I don't give a damn if the kid's an idiot and it wasn't his property to begin with. I don't think anyone should be subjected unwillingly to millions upon millions of people's daily ridicule.

Though I did find it funny.




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 12:14 AM   #21
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
OH NOES! FAMILIES CAN'T AFFORD TO FUND BULLYING?!
Well, that wasn't my point, but I'll move on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
TK, listen to yourself man. You're desensitizing the issue and drawing straw men that don't directly follow this. Bullying on a local level and mass ridicule are two entirely different entities.
In order to look at something rationally, from a legal perspective, it must be desensitized. Arguing out of emotion or fear or sympathy is not rational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
I don't give a damn if the kid's an idiot and it wasn't his property to begin with. I don't think anyone should be subjected unwillingly to millions upon millions of people's daily ridicule.
Then he shouldn't have taped himself in the first place, period. It's common sense. Do something stupid, don't record it. Perhaps he deserves ridicule.

He's an idiot. Look at Jack Thompson. He's ridiculed daily by gamers all across the internet... he's gotten death threats... his e-mail address was posted for anyone and everyone who wants to tell him to f*** off... should he sue the people who ridicule him? I'm sure he's tried! And it just proves what an idiot he is!
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 AM   #22
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
Quote:
In order to look at something rationally, from a legal perspective, it must be desensitized. Arguing out of emotion or fear or sympathy is not rational.
I meant that in the issue of arguing in your seemingly pro bullying argument. "Builds character" is what you are apparently stating. That people must be subjected to constant ridicule, etc in order to become better human beings.

That simply does not happen. Bullying possesses drastic psychological effects upon a child's life and directly influences the type of person that he will be. What of those who cannot handle bullying? How are you going to teach them to "man up" to bullies? I'm not quite sure that all kids are able to shake off a bully, otherwise bullying wouldn't be such a problem.

That's my idea of desensitizing.

Quote:
Then he shouldn't have taped himself in the first place, period. It's common sense. Do something stupid, don't record it. Perhaps he deserves ridicule.
It may be a fault on his part, but it's no less of a fault for those who distributed it. If I taped something idiotic and my friends got hold of it, I wouldn't mind. But millions of people? That's a whole other story.

You want to tell me that we shouldn't do things that are "stupid" for fear that we might be ridiculed worldwide? Doesn't that violate our freedom to do stupid things?

There's nothing honestly stupid about him taping himself doing moves, except for the fact that he sucks and he's uncoordinated. But that's no reason to subject him to ridicule.

Jack Thompson is a completely irrelevant red herring, but I will address that issue anyway.

Jack Thompson is an idiot, yes. I concede on that fact. But he willingly posts his idiocy for the world to see. Not to mention his argument is filled with logical fallacies that are quite easy to pick out.

This does not justify people sending him death threats.

Should he sue the people who ridicule him? No, he shouldn't, and he couldn't, because of freedom of speech.

But freedom of speech is not the question at hand. The right to privacy is the question at hand. Why does it matter if it's someone else's tape? They haven't claimed it in months, and it is evidence of the kid's stupidity. He should possess the right to keep that quiet.

I would have sued the hell out of someone if they found a tape of me twirling a golf ball retriever like an idiot and spread it on the internet to the point where I was damaged psychologically.

Whether the kid is actually damaged psychologically remains questionable, but I'm certain there were some side effects.

And messing with people's heads generally doesn't fall under good intentions in my book.

Is this an exploit of the justice system? Damn straight. But in my view, it's nothing more than punishing pranksters. Punishment might be a bit extreme at 250,000, but hey, it's common sense not to do something stupid like post something that could get you sued for a ****load of money. Maybe they deserve to be punished.




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 01:04 AM   #23
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
He's an idiot. Look at Jack Thompson. He's ridiculed daily by gamers all across the internet... he's gotten death threats... his e-mail address was posted for anyone and everyone who wants to tell him to f*** off... should he sue the people who ridicule him? I'm sure he's tried! And it just proves what an idiot he is!
His credibility's shot since he had to undergo mandatory psychiatric testing to determine whether or not he was sane, I believe that he barely passed for sane

Anyways, I'm a kid who's been doing calculus (for fun), physics calculations/programming (once again, for fun), and anime fansubbing afterschool since my freshman year in high school. Needless to say I have all of about 3 friends, and I know what bullying is (not physically though). I still have no sympathy for this kid. He should have used his anger and embarassment as motivation to do something about his bullying (other than suing or killing someone).

If he gets his ass kicked, he should get in shape and deck the kid doing it. If he gets made fun of, ignore, laugh it off, or make fun of them back (only if he can make it funny though, otherwise he'd just be SW Kid + unfunny). Kids in school (or people in general for that matter) have been made fun of since the origin of modern society, what makes this kid entitled to $350,000? And what good came of him getting the money anyway? Now he's just SW Kid + douchebaggery + $350,000.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #24
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
Quote:
what makes this kid entitled to $350,000
The fact that someone was stupid enough to post it on the internet and he was smart enough to salvage the situation in some way.

You'd do the same. I'd do the same. It's easy money.

edit - you guys must have some pretty weak bullies.

Bullies around here usually bench 350. But I don't encounter much bullying myself, I'm cool with everyone. <3 athletics

I dunno about you, but that just doesn't seem logical to hit a guy benching 350 when you're benching half of that.

And it's not like he can bench it within a week or so. Building muscle takes a hell of a lot of time. I can guarantee you that.




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 01:25 AM   #25
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
The fact that someone was stupid enough to post it on the internet and he was smart enough to salvage the situation in some way.

You'd do the same. I'd do the same. It's easy money.

edit - you guys must have some pretty weak bullies.

Bullies around here usually bench 350. But I don't encounter much bullying myself, I'm cool with everyone. <3 athletics
More like he was stupid enough to tape himself doing that stupid s***.

I wouldn't do the same.

No, not really, and the fact that they can bench 350 just means they can push you hard, it doesn't win you the fight.



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #26
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
I meant that in the issue of arguing in your seemingly pro bullying argument. "Builds character" is what you are apparently stating. That people must be subjected to constant ridicule, etc in order to become better human beings.
I'm not pro-bullying... I am, however, against frivolous lawsuits.

When I was younger in school I was bullied, picked on, etc. often, but I handled it, learned from my experiences with bullies, and now I'm cool and have lots of friends. I guess you could say being bullied built on my character.

People need to learn not to take things so damn personally. If someone calls you a name, why should you care? Either shrug it off, laugh with them, or lift some weights and knock the kid out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
That simply does not happen. Bullying possesses drastic psychological effects upon a child's life and directly influences the type of person that he will be.
Agreed. And that can be good or bad, which is my next point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
What of those who cannot handle bullying? How are you going to teach them to "man up" to bullies? I'm not quite sure that all kids are able to shake off a bully, otherwise bullying wouldn't be such a problem.
They need to learn to deal with it. If you don't learn to deal with bullies, you will NEVER survive in real life. You can't sue the drill sergeant because he's making fun of you. You can't sue your boss because he pissed you off. Bullies are a small step into a larger world. Either learn how to deal with them or you are doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
It may be a fault on his part, but it's no less of a fault for those who distributed it. If I taped something idiotic and my friends got hold of it, I wouldn't mind. But millions of people? That's a whole other story.
Again, it was someone else's tape. If you take someone's tape, it doesn't make it yours because you recorded yourself on it. It's still the first guy's tape... and he can do whatever the hell he wants with it. Private property rights, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
You want to tell me that we shouldn't do things that are "stupid" for fear that we might be ridiculed worldwide?
Don't tape yourself doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
There's nothing honestly stupid about him taping himself doing moves, except for the fact that he sucks and he's uncoordinated. But that's no reason to subject him to ridicule.
He does look pretty stupid doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
But he willingly posts his idiocy for the world to see.
SWK willingly taped himself doing something embarassing and stupid, using someone else's tape. I see no difference, other than that you have sympathy for SWK (which is fine, there's nothing wrong with having sympathy, it's the lawsuit that's wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
Should he sue the people who ridicule him? No, he shouldn't, and he couldn't, because of freedom of speech.
But kids are just using their freedom of speech to ridicule SWK... they can ridicule Jack Thompson with freedom of speech but not SWK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
But freedom of speech is not the question at hand. The right to privacy is the question at hand. Why does it matter if it's someone else's tape? They haven't claimed it in months, and it is evidence of the kid's stupidity. He should possess the right to keep that quiet.
Not really... if it were his tape, yes you'd be absolutely right, but it's not his tape. He did not have the right to use it or have any say over what happened to it... but the kid who owned it had the right to distribute it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
it's common sense not to do something stupid like post something that could get you sued for a ****load of money. Maybe they deserve to be punished.
There's a lot of stuff that could get you sued... you shouldn't not do things that you have the right to do out of fear of a frivolous lawsuit being brought against you. You shouldn't, however, do things that are stupid and embarassing, because there are consequences to doing such a thing. There shouldn't be a legal consequence for using your own tape that you own and have every right to distribute.

Here's how I think SWK could redeem himself:

He should start working out. Working out is good, after all. You're strong, live longer and healthier. Plus you get to beat the living **** out of people. If SWK went and beat the crap out of the kids instead of suing their families, that would be much better. Then if they wanted to sue SWK for beating up the kids, I'd be against THAT lawsuit as well.

But ah, that's just my cynical, vigilante view on life.


--------------------------------

Anyway Mike, I enjoy debating you regardless (it's a shame we're not pitted against eachother on other topics ).
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #27
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
Likewise Mike.

So... if you should fear your privacy for doing something stupid... in private... but you shouldn't fear releasing said stupidity for the world to see? Excuse me if I fail to see that logic.

The difference between Jack Thompson and The SWK lies in their idiocy. These two are idiots for two different reasons. I feel that there is a separation between those two. It's hard to describe, I might think up the correct wording later.

Quote:
They need to learn to deal with it. If you don't learn to deal with bullies, you will NEVER survive in real life. You can't sue the drill sergeant because he's making fun of you. You can't sue your boss because he pissed you off. Bullies are a small step into a larger world. Either learn how to deal with them or you are doomed.
Truth. They need to learn to deal with it. But it doesn't justify distributing his idiocy for the world to see. Sure, the guy had the right, but say I had the right to shoot someone for threatening me. I don't feel legislation alone may justify actions. Legislation + moral righteousness = win.

Quote:
People need to learn not to take things so damn personally. If someone calls you a name, why should you care? Either shrug it off, laugh with them, or lift some weights and knock the kid out.
It gets to a point where it becomes entirely frustrating. Shrugging off 10 people is fine. But 10 million? How do you sleep at night knowing that some random kid in Colorado is laughing at your uncoordinated, sloppy movements?

(Course, I'd probably be laughing. All the way to the bank.)

Sure, it's a frivolous lawsuit. But that is the way the Constitution crumbles.




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 AM   #28
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
So... if you should fear your privacy for doing something stupid... in private... but you shouldn't fear releasing said stupidity for the world to see? Excuse me if I fail to see that logic.
It may have been in private but he taped himself doing it, so the fact that it was in privacy is null and void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
The difference between Jack Thompson and The SWK lies in their idiocy. These two are idiots for two different reasons. I feel that there is a separation between those two. It's hard to describe, I might think up the correct wording later.
Well, I get your point. Jack Thompson does his stuff for attention; SWK didn't want it to go public I'd assume. But the principle is similar: they both willingly preserved their stupidity and are ridiculed for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
But 10 million? How do you sleep at night knowing that some random kid in Colorado is laughing at your uncoordinated, sloppy movements?
Maybe he knows how Paris Hilton feels.


oooooooooh
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #29
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,531
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
It seems that you have the same attitude as the people who slip and fall on their ass, then sue the place because they see the chance to grab some cash. You KNOW the lawsuit is frivolous... but you'd want some cash anyway.
Well, that seems to me that might be a different, if related, issue: "Are frivolous lawsuits bad/ destroying the country?"

My answer: Yes... in most cases, they probably are.

But they aren't illegal, at least at the moment. However, changing that would take a major overhaul to the system. It's really something that should be done at some point.
Until the system is changed, though, people are going to take advantage of it. If not this kid, then someone else. Don't like it? Then work to get it changed.

In this specific case this kid, his parents, and their lawyer decided to work the system to their favor. I can't fault them for that... that's within their rights to do. I suspect I might do the same thing if offered the opportunity, depending on how badly I felt I was wronged.

I have no idea how bad this kid's life became after that tape went viral... you seem to think it's something that most people could and should just shrug off. Seems to me he's the only one that can answer that. At that level you are dealing with his emotions, and emotions aren't rational and simple to quantify.
I can honestly tell you that if I was offered the chance to enact some revenge (financially if nothing else,) against some of the folks who gave me crap the whole time I was going to school at the very time it was happening, I'm pretty sure I would have taken it without a moment's hesitation... everything else be damned.

Sure, it might be his own fault in a way, by taping himself... but the other kids should also have known it was going to hurt somebody by releasing it... so they're just as equally at fault as him. Just because they found that tape didn't mean they had to make it public. I don't see either side as having the moral high ground in this case. The SWK might have been acting like an idiot... but I can't see how anyone can think the other kids were being anything less than needlessly cruel.

If anything, I feel the other parents shouldn't have caved and settled, but instead let it go to trial if they had wanted to make a stand. I suspect that such a trial would have put their own kids in a much less than flattering light, though.


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)

Last edited by edlib; 04-19-2006 at 09:19 AM.
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 03:11 PM   #30
toms
v0.9
 
toms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: uk swamp
Posts: 3,490
I hate frivolous lawsuits, and i hate the fact our TV channels are filled with adverts trying to get everyone to sue everyone else for anything.. its ending up like america and it means no one is willing to offer the cool thngs they used to, because they can't afford to be sued if some idiot hurts themselves while using them.

I don't rate this as a frivolous lawsuit. I think the kid had every right to sue, and the parents had every right to fight it in court if they thought it was unfounded, but they decided to settle.



Playing: Link to the Past, Astroboy, Kario Kart, Mario World (Micro) KOTOR 2: Sith Lords (Xbox) Morrowind (PC)
toms is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #31
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
Just because they found that tape didn't mean they had to make it public. I don't see either side as having the moral high ground in this case.
He didn't have to make it public, but he had the right to if he so wished. It's his tape and SWK willingly and knowingly taped himself with it. No, neither side has the moral high ground. But the fact is, there's nothing in the law that says you can't release a tape on the internet just because it contains material that would embarass someone who was stupid enough to tape himself in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms
I don't rate this as a frivolous lawsuit. I think the kid had every right to sue, and the parents had every right to fight it in court if they thought it was unfounded, but they decided to settle.
Of course it's frivolous. The kid who posted his own tape on the internet didn't do anything against the law or damaging. And yet he's being sued because people are making fun of SWK.

There is no basis for a lawsuit. All it is is that SWK, as edlib says, wants to get revenge. It may not be illegal, but he deserves ridicule for joining the ranks of those who clog the justice system with frivolous lawsuits.

I mean, what does SWK get out of getting some cash? People are going to keep making fun of him. He'd still have the "mental scarring" or whatever they want to claim he's got. He'd just have some cash that he did not earn and nor does he deserve.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #32
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,531
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
He'd just have some cash that he did not earn and nor does he deserve.
Yup. Sometimes that's enough. Like I said earlier: if given the choice of being ridiculed by strangers; or being ridiculed by strangers, but now with with money... why wouldn't I grab the money? It doesn't really change the situation at all... but it's better than going through all that and being broke.

It's an attempt to hurt his tormentors back a bit, financially (since you can't really do it physically,) and trying to make some kind of a point... but in the end, that's pretty much it.

And yet, so what? Just one more frivolous lawsuit adrift in a sea of millions of them. If it hadn't been SW-related I'm sure none of us would have even heard about it, or paid any attention to it even if we had.

No offense... but you seem to be taking this all awfully personally. It's not like it's money coming out of your pocket,.. is it? I can't see where the price of anything is going to go up over this because the store you shop at was sued. This was a private suit between a couple of private parties. It really doesn't concern anybody but them.


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #33
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
Yup. Sometimes that's enough. Like I said earlier: if given the choice of being ridiculed by strangers; or being ridiculed by strangers, but now with with money... why wouldn't I grab the money? It doesn't really change the situation at all... but it's better than going through all that and being broke.
But wouldn't he have clearly been the better person had he not relied on a lawsuit to make him feel good about himself? Perhaps had he worked out, lost some weight, chilled out, grew up, got some common sense and learned to deal with bullies, then we would be admiring him rather than looking down on him?

Suing because you're greedy and don't even need the money, IMO, makes you worthy of ridicule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
And yet, so what? Just one more frivolous lawsuit adrift in a sea of millions of them. If it hadn't been SW-related I'm sure none of us would have even heard about it, or paid any attention to it even if we had.
True. But it is SW-related and I thought it would be a good debate topic. Seems the Senate is slowing down a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
No offense... but you seem to be taking this all awfully personally. It's not like it's money coming out of your pocket,.. is it? I can't see where the price of anything is going to go up over this because the store you shop at was sued. This was a private suit between a couple of private parties. It really doesn't concern anybody but them.
Well, both you and I argue for things that don't effect us either, like gay rights... why should this be different?
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #34
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,531
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
But wouldn't he have clearly been the better person had he not relied on a lawsuit to make him feel good about himself? Perhaps had he worked out, lost some weight, chilled out, grew up, got some common sense and learned to deal with bullies, then we would be admiring him rather than looking down on him?
The theory that 'living well is the best revenge?'
P'haps... but it's nowhere near as visceral and immediate. Emotions are tricky things. This felt better to him and his folks, at least in the moment.

But is anyone ever really going to admire him, ever? No matter what else he does, he will ALWAYS be the "Star Wars Kid". He's going to have to live with that all the way through college... when he gets his first job... 50 years from now, people our age will still remember him for that. That film clip will circulate on the web forever...

Maybe a few people will be able to get past it and treat him fairly, eventually... but there's a lot of ignoramuses out there who will always take the chance to remind him of that at every possible opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Well, both you and I argue for things that don't effect us either, like gay rights... why should this be different?
True enough...


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #35
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
Quote:
Well, both you and I argue for things that don't effect us either, like gay rights... why should this be different?
Gay rights actually does affect you in some way... however indirect it may be. Economic, sociopolitcal, etc. It affects all Americans. Legalization of gay marriage in 1 stage = legalization in all. Thus, it affects you (if you live in America, at least.) It might reduce tax cuts for married couples, etc.

TK, you seem to be bent up on laws and only laws. I think this is a case where morals come into play as well as legislation... screwing with someone's emotions might not be illegal, but it's immoral. Since nobody's becoming Jesus anytime soon, there's no forgiveness from either side, thus you arrive at the lawsuit.

I don't know that we can debate anything else about this case. Everything's been done to death. :|




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2006, 12:36 AM   #36
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
TK, you seem to be bent up on laws and only laws. I think this is a case where morals come into play as well as legislation... screwing with someone's emotions might not be illegal, but it's immoral. Since nobody's becoming Jesus anytime soon, there's no forgiveness from either side, thus you arrive at the lawsuit.
Well, it is a lawsuit not a... moralsuit...

Or something.

Anyway, I guess this thread can rest, unless someone else wants to jump in here...
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 AM   #37
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(•.°)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Well, it is a lawsuit not a... moralsuit...

Or something.

Anyway, I guess this thread can rest, unless someone else wants to jump in here...
TK-8252 for the win



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 AM   #38
Mike Windu
Je suis l'agent du chaos.
 
Mike Windu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stars Hollow
Posts: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Well, it is a lawsuit not a... moralsuit...

Or something.

Anyway, I guess this thread can rest, unless someone else wants to jump in here...
But the law alone isn't always right, is what I meant.




That's the last time I buy anything just because it's furry!

Mike Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2006, 05:25 PM   #39
TK-8252
Get Cloned.
 
TK-8252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Windu
But the law alone isn't always right, is what I meant.
Agreed. But in this case I think it's right, but that's where we disagree...

It would have been interesting to see this taken to court though.
TK-8252 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2006, 09:02 PM   #40
edlib
Close to the Edge
 
edlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Boston, MA., USA
Posts: 9,531
Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
Hot Topic Starter 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Agreed...

I'm still wondering what each side's arguments would have been.

I can only imagine that the other kids would have been smeared royally... painted in the worst possible light imaginable... and that's why their parents decided to settle out of court. I suspect it would have gotten pretty nasty.


Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > The SW Kid Case

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.