lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Which Monkey Island game ruined the series?
The Curse of Monkey Island 2 4.55%
Escape from Monkey Island 19 43.18%
Neither 23 52.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What MI game ruined the series?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
Ben31
Rookie

What MI game ruined the series?

After instructions from Largo LeGrande i felt obliged to create this poll...

Which of the MI games (if any) ruined the series for you? Since i've only played MI1, 2 and 4 i don't feel fully qualified to say but certainly the one that lowered the standards for me was the 4th. Have your say!
Ben31 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
What MI game ruined the series?

What he said up there

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
counting_pine
Rookie

Objectively speaking, shouldn't there be a "neither" option?

Soli Deo Gloria
Jesu Juva
counting_pine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Oddly enough, this is the first time I've had to edit a poll in the new forums (since the upgrade) and I can't for the life of me figure out how to edit poll's.

But once I figure it out, rest assured, there will be a Neither option.

EDIT
Good thing I'm no politician else that'd be a broken promise right there. Turns out that since the upgrade to vb3, poll editing has been restriced to the highest levels (Admins), or so Thrik tells me, so i won't be able to change anything.

But I'm sure a kindly Admin would be more than happy to (all yours Thrik ).

Last edited by Joshi; 04-29-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
~~

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-30-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
Kjølen
Resident Polak

Current Game: Monkey Island
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
None of the games "ruined" the series, but I agree that Escape from Monkey Island was a step below standard. As for Curse of Monkey Island, that was my favourite of the 4.

"Kjølen is a pretty cool guy. 'e doesn't afraid of anything and 'e doesn't anything about anything."
―Kjølen

* Ye Olde Harbour * Aresen *
Kjølen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
Skinkie
Definately, Maybe

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Ah that's my veiwpoint as well.

Just because people think what I say don't make sense, doesn't mean I don't like popsicles.
Skinkie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
Kryllith
Hideous Twit

Ditto here. The series isn't ruin imho, but I prefer the first three games of the series.
Kryllith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
Gabez

I think people are being too harsh on EMI... even if you think it's inferior to the first three games, that doesn't mean to say that it's a bad game per se. Comparing things together always changes what you think of them. plain kids look better next to ugly kids, for instance.

I mean, sure, you might say the EMI looks bad compared to Mi2, but it looks amazing compared to a lot of the other stuff on the market. It's probably better than, say, 80% of all games.

So to say it ruined the series is a bit much, even if you do think that it's the worst of the four. I mean, it's not like it's Episode One or anything. ;
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 06:53 AM   #10
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Putting the technical aspect aside, I cannot really tell which one of the first three is the best, as I think each one of them appears somewhat unique to me.

However, the fourth MI game did not exactly ruin the series, but was the one were I said "Well, that surely was, uh, fun?" after playing it, plus it is the one I've never replayed a single time and I did not even think once about doing so.
Also, due to the extraordinary coolness of the other games you cannot really ruin the whole MI series.

So, since there is no "least Monkey Island-ish game of the series" option, I checked "Neither".

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #11
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

The poll above is good although I think neither is going to win. I agree with what he said above although I dident like Curse of Monkey Island that much and I liked escape from more out of the two choices the Monkey Island series is not ruined its always going to be the best story game series. I think a poll for which is the worst MI game of them all with a choice of all 4 games and no neither. Also a poll called what is your favourite MI game of all time would be cool again with a choice of all 4 games and no neither.

"Remember wherever you are on sea or land you can't hide from Largo LaGrande"
Largo LaGrande is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #12
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Old Favorite MI Poll if you're interested.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Here is my reasons for my vote

I have choose neither because the Monkey island series will not be ruined buy Curse of Monkey Island.

If it was a choice of which do you think is the worst I would choose Monkey Island 3. Because Monkey Island 2 was my favourite game of all time and after completing it the ending was awsome and I was excited to see what happens next.

Instead when I got MI3 I was very dissapointed because it felt like a completly different game Guybrush was more grown up and piratey in Monkey Island 2 and the whole game felt more grown up. In Monkey Island 3 Guybrush and the look of the game was totally different Monkey Island 3 looked childish and cartoonie and not as grown up it and guybrush looked how he looked in MI1 but he wasnt as grown up looking. Monkey Island 3 for me did not continue from were Monkey Island 2 ended it just gave a brief and poor explanation of what happend almost a dissmisal of what happend. This was dissapointing to me because I expected a complete sequel to Monkey Island 2 and I expected it to look exactly the same only better and what I got was an etirely different game. Also after completing both Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 I was ready for another challange but when I got Monkey Island 3 it was too easy it was alomost like Monkey Island for Dummies. It is for these reasons why I think Monkey Island 3 was the worst monkey Island game I still think it is a very good game but I expected it to be a whole lot better especially with it being the sequel to Monkey Island 2.

I enjoyed Monkey Island 4 the 3D graphics were good but I like 2D graphics better but I found Monkey Island 4 a challanging game and it was funny and magical.

Monkey Island 2 is my favourite Monkey Island game and Monkey Island 1 my second favourite Monkey Island 4 is my third Favourite Monkey Island game.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabez
plain kids look better next to ugly kids
Oh, Gabez... not all this again

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #15
Gabez

Hee, I only realised how that sounded once you pointed it out. Which means I'm innocent, right?

I meant, I'm still only 18. That means I'm a kid too! Am I right? Am I right, guys?
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Ben31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo LaGrande
The poll above is good although I think neither is going to win. I agree with what he said above although I dident like Curse of Monkey Island that much and I liked escape from more out of the two choices the Monkey Island series is not ruined its always going to be the best story game series. I think a poll for which is the worst MI game of them all with a choice of all 4 games and no neither. Also a poll called what is your favourite MI game of all time would be cool again with a choice of all 4 games and no neither.

Argh, lol. You were the one arguing that CoMI ruined the series opposed to those who said EfMI did - and you asked me to make this thread. Haha, nevermind..
Old 05-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #17
Ben31
Rookie

I think people have misconceptions on what i mean by "ruin the series". I see a game that ruins the series as a game which doesn't live up to it's fellow MI games. Not that it was bad and thus brought the entire series down with it into making it a crap game series..
Old 05-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #18
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben31
Argh, lol. You were the one arguing that CoMI ruined the series opposed to those who said EfMI did - and you asked me to make this thread. Haha, nevermind..
Note how COMI has one vote and Largo is pretty much the only person on this board who'd be likely to choose it. I'm not saying he did choose it, and I'm not saying he didn't... but I'm especially not saying he didn't.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #19
counting_pine
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi
Old Favorite MI Poll if you're interested.
Heh. Someone called Largo-Lagrande posted in the old thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo-LaGrande
1.MI3
2.MI2
3.MI1
4.MI4
i like MI3 best because it is funny good graphix it has voices good music and i liked the story line
Just a coincidence I guess, but still pretty funny.

(Re the current poll, I found I couldn't actually bring myself to click the EMI option. I probably would have if it was a "Worst game in the series" poll, but I agree, "ruined" is a bit strong)

Soli Deo Gloria
Jesu Juva
counting_pine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2006, 04:37 AM   #20
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Largo said he choose neither. So I'm almost certain it was Gabez. He's the one defending EMI all the time. He did it, and now we he's blaming Largo for his shameful crimes, that's why he registered to these boards at all!!

Ray Jones is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2006, 04:44 AM   #21
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
My God, who knew it'd take the likes of Ray to uncover Gabez's dirty secret.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #22
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

And now for the twist:

Largo is a liar!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:31 PM   #23
Mr Cheese
Rookie

I think I would actually say MI4 ruined it. It changed very obvious facts about the older games. Before EMI, it was a fact that the Monkey Head was a dead giant monkey. Then they changed it and made it a stone monkey. The hanging monkey in MI1 was never named and the MI2 monkey playing the piano was named Jojo. The grey MI4 monkey was named Jojo Jr after the MI1 hanging monkey. It's bad if they mixed the two up, and worse if they decided to call both monkeys Jojo, therefore having 3 Jojos in the series. Tiny LaFoot was a character in MI3. In MI4, there was a character called Tiny LaFeet. Same again. Did they forget about the old character, is it supposed to be the same guy, or did they decide to give them incredibly similar names? It ruined the series by undoing what the others had set in place. (MI3 didn't do this. The end of MI2 was a cliffhanger: Is Guybrush really a kid? MI3 answered the question, they didn't change a fact.) That's why I chose MI4.

Mmmmm, maggoty!
Mr Cheese is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2006, 05:11 AM   #24
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cheese
I think I would actually say MI4 ruined it. It changed very obvious facts about the older games. Before EMI, it was a fact that the Monkey Head was a dead giant monkey. Then they changed it and made it a stone monkey. The hanging monkey in MI1 was never named and the MI2 monkey playing the piano was named Jojo. The grey MI4 monkey was named Jojo Jr after the MI1 hanging monkey. It's bad if they mixed the two up, and worse if they decided to call both monkeys Jojo, therefore having 3 Jojos in the series. Tiny LaFoot was a character in MI3. In MI4, there was a character called Tiny LaFeet. Same again. Did they forget about the old character, is it supposed to be the same guy, or did they decide to give them incredibly similar names? It ruined the series by undoing what the others had set in place. (MI3 didn't do this. The end of MI2 was a cliffhanger: Is Guybrush really a kid? MI3 answered the question, they didn't change a fact.) That's why I chose MI4.
And lets not forget that Herman Toothrot is actually HT Marley thing... something that didn't make sense to me at the time and needed a bugger load of explanation by fans here to make it ever so slightly passable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrik
And now for the twist:

Largo is a liar!
Dear God No! Not since the realisation that Guybrush is actually just some kid in a theme park have i felt so wronged. I'd always thought Largo was an upstanding member of this community.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:15 AM   #25
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Yo counting Pine love the fake Largo quote joke you did good scence of humour you got there

Hi ben that’s right I did say we should have a vote but this isnt my poll and I didn’t have a think about the possibilities we could have if it was my post and my vote I would have 2 polls I might do one of my own soon. I was thinking in the lines of what I said above.

A poll for which is the worst MI game of them all with only a choice of all 4 games and no option to choose neither.

Also a poll called what is your favorite MI game of all time would be cool again with a choice of only all 4 games and no option to choose neither.

I am going over what I just said now but I will be more honest this time on what I think as final say on the whole subect.

The Monkey Island Series will not be ruined by Curse of Monkey Island the reason for that is I enjoyed MI4.

I do however think that those who wrote the script for MI3 could have given us a better story considering the awesome ending that MI2 left us with.

Regardless of weather one of the games was not as good as we expect the MI series is not ruined and never will be it can easily pick its self back up again when they make Monkey Island 5.

MI1 and MI2 and MI2's awesome ending was life changing for myself and some of us I was so excited about MI3 and what happens next.

It is because MI3 did not continue off from exactly were MI2 left and not being a100% sequel to MI2 that I didn’t like it that much. MI3 is a great game that’s for sure but I was angry and disappointed that they didn’t continue from exactly were MI2 ended. I was also unhappy with the new graphical look of the game.

I am sure some of you in these forums will agree when I say MI3 and MI4 were the games that Lucas arts didn’t really know were to take the MI series for MI3 it was almost as if they forgot about all us guys that played MI1 and MI2 back then. And it was as if they were starting a fresh MI3 was like MI for beginners with a less adult graphical look and game play. And MI4 was done in a similar way to MI3 only in 3D.

Myself and allot of others who played MI1 and MI2 when it first came out on Amiga and pc use to have dreams and nightmares about the Monkey Island and felt guilty about leaving Wally all alone in his map shop in Woodtick without his monocle amongst offer things. MI3 and MI4 didn’t have this affect on me or any of my friends.

I hope Monkey Island 5 will go back to its roots go back to 2D with the look and interface of either MI2 or MI1 and have storlines and puzzels that are true to the first two games. Maybe they could say MI3 and 4 were just dreams and continue from exactly were MI2 ended.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #26
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Oh by the way guys I am a Monkey Island 1 and 2 fan and although I was very dissapointed with Monkey Island 3 because it did not continue from exactly were MI2 left off or look like MI2. I voted for neither of the games ruined the Monkey Island Series so that means it must be gabez like the others said.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #27
Ben31
Rookie

Personally, i think that when you have 3 outstanding games, and one good game, that surely ruins the outstandingness of the series because it brings it down a bit. It doesn't keep the consistant level up. It doesn't ruin it in the sense that it lowers it to being a crap game. It just isn't up to scratch in my view - that's what i mean by ruin. Maybe ruin was a harsh word and wasn't clear amongst you all…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cheese
Here here!! What a good post. It's as if the guys down at LucasArts basically said to themselves, "hey, i know - lets screw the first 2 games, their creators and their fans and lets make it how we think it should be. Who cares if it makes no sense and ruins the series?" (maybe not that last bit but you get the point (hopefully)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshi
And lets not forget that Herman Toothrot is actually HT Marley thing... something that didn't make sense to me at the time and needed a bugger load of explanation by fans here to make it ever so slightly passable.
Your not alone in being confused let me tell you. It seemed to decide on a new idea which didn't work with what you found out in SoMI.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:51 AM   #28
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Quote:
Yo counting Pine love the fake Largo quote joke you did good scence of humour you got there
Wh... what?!

I am seriously beginning to wonder if you even bother reading other people's posts before going off on these fifty paragraph tangents of yours, Largo. Allow me to quote Counting Pine's post for you, since you evidently didn't actually read it:

Quote:
Heh. Someone called Largo-Lagrande posted in the old thread:
Ooooooh, my. I think smashing my head on a brick wall would be a more fruitful activity than having any kind of discussion with Largo.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #29
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
lol thrik
spoiler:
lol lupe??

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #30
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Yes. :((((

Old 05-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #31
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
I hope Monkey Island 5 will go back to its roots go back to 2D with the look and interface of either MI2 or MI1 and have storlines and puzzels that are true to the first two games. Maybe they could say MI3 and 4 were just dreams and continue from exactly were MI2 ended.

Good luck with that.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:00 AM   #32
Mr Cheese
Rookie

[QUOTE=Largo LaGrande]

I do however think that those who wrote the script for MI3 could have given us a better story considering the awesome ending that MI2 left us with.

MI1 and MI2 and MI2's awesome ending was life changing for myself and some of us I was so excited about MI3 and what happens next.

It is because MI3 did not continue off from exactly were MI2 left and not being a 100% sequel to MI2 that I didn’t like it that much. MI3 is a great game that’s for sure but I was angry and disappointed that they didn’t continue from exactly were MI2 ended. I was also unhappy with the new graphical look of the game.

I am sure some of you in these forums will agree when I say MI3 and MI4 were the games that Lucas arts didn’t really know were to take the MI series for MI3 it was almost as if they forgot about all us guys that played MI1 and MI2 back then. And it was as if they were starting a fresh MI3 was like MI for beginners with a less adult graphical look and game play. And MI4 was done in a similar way to MI3 only in 3D.

Myself and allot of others who played MI1 and MI2 when it first came out on Amiga and pc use to have dreams and nightmares about the Monkey Island and felt guilty about leaving Wally all alone in his map shop in Woodtick without his monocle amongst offer things. MI3 and MI4 didn’t have this affect on me or any of my friends.

QUOTE]

I left a post about this in "Why I didn't like EMI" (can't be bothered going back and reading the exact name). CMI DID continue from the end of MI2. He escaped the curse LeChuck put on him and got off Monkey Island. That's where you start off. The rest is later explained. And as for not being a 100% sequel... MI3 came after MI2. That makes it a sequel. Just because it was made by different people, doesn't change that. I got the "monocle guilt" after a few things in MI3.

Mmmmm, maggoty!
Mr Cheese is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #33
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Hey cheese yea You me and most of us get the monocle guild trip, dreams and nightmares and it shows how how good MI1 and MI2 is I also get the same thing when I sawed off one of the me of low morale fibers prg legs whilst he was asleep.

MI3 was a sequel I dont dissagree with that. But I was diisapointed with the breif explantion they gave us at the begining and towards the end of MI3 that tried to expalin what happend. It was exaplined in a simular style of Dallas "Bobbys not dead it was all a dream" I am just dissapointed that MI3 dident continue exactly from were MI2 ended at the fair.

The story designers have admmited many a time in interviews that they designed MI3 manily for those who have never played MI1 or MI2 and those who dont know what happend in MI1 and MI2 games kinda like Monkey Island for beginers. I think think its dissrespect full not to have played MI1 and MI2. This is the reason why I found it easy.

Last edited by Largo LaGrande; 05-05-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #34
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hee, but it was all a dream! ;D

Or fantasy.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #35
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
Sometimes you have to decide if you want to tell a stupid story about some hallucinatory carnival or if you want to make a good adventure game. Fortunately the Curse Of Monkey Island team made the right choice. I don't want to be a little punk who was slipped some cosmic tryptamines and wants to be a pirate; I just want to be a pirate.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2006, 02:29 PM   #36
Ben31
Rookie

One thing, how did LeChuck put a curse on Guybrush? I mean, his initial plan was to use his voodoo doll and when that backfired he had to conjure another plan which took the form of a curse spell. We don't see anything happen and LeChuck persisted with his voodoo doll trying to zap Guybrush to someplace which he mentioned - so thus he would have had to make it or had something to use on Guybrush within the split seconds that he was lieing on the floor with his leg ripped off... hmm...

Anyway, i personally like the idea that he was lost in a childs imagination in a fair. Sure at first i hated it but when i look closer, all the little links throughout the game is just ingenious - magnificant! Uncomparable.. Ron Gilbert is a god. What would be even more interesting would be where Mr Gilbert would take this in the 3rd - perhaps he didn't want to make a sequel resulting in his departure? Who knows. What we do know, is we have CoMI and EfMI and they're here to stay, that's happened. They've been made and theres little we can do expect wallow in the past, thinking of what could have been. Desperately trying to change the past...(it isn't a healthy thing)
Old 05-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #37
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Heh, but then, Largo's probably in denial about that too.

Old 05-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #38
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben31
Anyway, i personally like the idea that he was lost in a childs imagination in a fair. Sure at first i hated it but when i look closer, all the little links throughout the game is just ingenious - magnificant! Uncomparable.. Ron Gilbert is a god. What would be even more interesting would be where Mr Gilbert would take this in the 3rd - perhaps he didn't want to make a sequel resulting in his departure? Who knows. What we do know, is we have CoMI and EfMI and they're here to stay, that's happened. They've been made and theres little we can do expect wallow in the past, thinking of what could have been. Desperately trying to change the past...(it isn't a healthy thing)
He did have an idea for MI3, but general consensus is that he'd intended the first two games to simply be that of the inside of a childs imagination whilst at a theme park, which is what we find out at the end of MI2, and then, just in case there happened to be a 3rd in the series (should he be involved or not) he added the weird eyes on Chucky, and the comment from Elaine both of which could simply be thrown away as part of a mystery had COMI never been made.

But it had, and personally, I think it was done very well, if they actually had explained away everything to do with the ending to MI2 in COMI, a number of people wouldn't have taken it in, it wouldn't fit right with them, no reason, that's just how people are. The way it was done in COMI allowed the player to put together their own story as to how Guybrush escaped and whatnot. Much easier (okay, a bit cheeky when you come to think about it, but I still liked it).

Old 05-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #39
Largo LaGrande
Rookie

Thrik I am not really Largo Lagrande I dont around collecting Tolls.

I used largos name because I am a Fan of Monkey Island Games I am nothing like him if anything I am just like the Guybrush Threepwood from Monkey Island 2.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #40
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

I still don't think you understand. Counting Pine means that somebody else with the forum name “Largo Lagrande” (except with a hyphen) posted in that thread. He's not talking about you.

Get it now?

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Monkey Island Discussion > MI Chat > General MI Discussion > What MI game ruined the series?