lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: "Unaltered" Original Trilogy Limited 2006 Edition DVD thread (still in stores!)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-04-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
playloud
Rookie

Exclamation "Unaltered" Original Trilogy Limited 2006 Edition DVD thread (still in stores!)

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/r...s20060503.html

Last edited by playloud; 07-26-2006 at 03:13 AM.
playloud is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Yeahm certainly is cool. though, I won't get them just 'cause I've never seen the original trilogy. And I like the newer versions.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Darth Andrew
Veteran

You're obviously a Trekkie then. I haven't seen any of the Special DVD editions, though from what I've heard, some of the changes are drastic, especially 'Han shot first'. So I prefer the orignals, though I might get this package anyway.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2006, 05:31 AM   #4
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

I never saw all of the originals and I never really want to, I guess technically they aren't canon. One thing I really hate is the song at the end of ROTJ, that is one special edition change that no-one can question. I mean the Ewoks singing? I thought it had turned into an episode of the f***ing Muppet Show.

Andy, Han doesn't shoot first they both shoot almost at the same time Greedo a very very short time before Han. (How can Greedo shoot when he's dead?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Andrew
I haven't seen any of the Special DVD editions...
Is the only ending you've seen the one with the stupid ewok song then?

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

MachineCult is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Post how old are you??

MachineCult, bitter are we? Sounds like somebody's upset that the fans of Star Wars for 20 years before the Special Editions existed finally get to see the movies that put Lucas on the map on DVD, reversing all his excuses of the past 9 years.

Don't get upset, you can still buy yet another copy of your revamped 2004 editions with this new set that's coming out in September.

Anyway, it's about time.

Lucas will be redeemed in the eyes of the fans...

"They no longer exist for me." Heh, the lure of more money won out. Oh well, whatever it takes... I'll be singing the Ewok song along with everyone else!

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #6
playloud
Rookie

With the exception of the Han/Greedo scene, I prefer the 2004 DVD editions. I am sure there will still be people who are upset over the upcoming release, as the original cut will only have a Dolby 2.0 mix. I am sure there will still be a group of people who want to pick and choose which Star Wars they have, and will still think George Lucas is the Devil for not releasing the version that THEY want.

Personally, I am happy that he is releasing the original, and I will buy it. I still prefer the 2004 editions, but it will be fun to compare the original to the newest release.

If I had my choice, I would want the 2004 edition, with the original Han/Greedo scene, and have the lightsabers redone to look like Prequel (specifically AoTC/RoTS) sabers. Don't ask me why such little things really make a difference, for I have no good answer. If George Lucas would not have set a precedent for changing movies once they are done, I probably wouldn't even think about such things.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
You're obviously a Trekkie then.
Me? I'm quite the opposite...I hate Star Trek.

I like the changes the way they are because I am so used to them.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
Kurgan
Headhunter

Even if the 2004 Editions were not so shodilly handled with the sound and colors, I'd still prefer the originals in many ways, not just Greedo. I don't care what planet you're from, "Jedi Rocks" is much stinkier than "Lapti Nek" and while the "new ending" to ROTJ is kind of a nice wrap up to the saga, it's a bit distracting from the celebration of ROTJ itself (and the Ewok dancing is a bit out of place with the new music). Plus I have nostalgia for the original ending (and no gungans yelling "wesa free!" argh, Lucas had to rub Jar Jar in our faces one last time, didn't he?).

And Ghost Hayden? What an insult!

Let's not forget the censored Imperial officer killshots in ANH (though the redone TIE/X-Wing dogfighting was cool with the CG I agree) and the badly delivered lines of Ian McDiarmond as the stoned looking Emperor hologram in ESB, and the unnecessary redubbing of Boba Fett to make him less scary as the henchman.

Oola's last scream is cool, but did we need to see Fett flirting with the dancers? Or those super cartoonish new creatures in Jabba's court? How about the slapstick in Mos Eisley? (arggh.. forshadowing of Mos Espa in TPM!)

Luke screams as he falls (Emperor's scream ripped from ROTJ) then he doesn't (good).

Obi-Wan's new "Kraytr Dragon Yell" doesn't sound as scary now. I know it was originally just a modified Dewback growl but still. That would have made perfect sense, since a Dewback would have likely meant to the sandpeople "STORMTROOPERS!" and they would run away scared, since the Kraytr dragon deal is never identified as such in the movie itself (even if that was the original intention).

Plus I miss the original lines ("You were lucky you don't taste very good!" Luke to R2D2 after being spit out by the monster... Han to Lando: "Trust me." when he shoots the tentacle of the Sarlacc).

New CG Jabba is better than old CG Jabba, but the scene was just poorly handled. Same dialouge as with Greedo, stepping on Jabba's tail (doh, more slapstick!), and Fett mugging for the camera.

And those giant "rings" in the Death Star/Alderaan explosions. At first I thought they were cool (even though they were a blatant ripoff of the Praxis Explosion in Star Trek 6, and the nuclear blast in space in Stargate), now I am sick of them. Plus the 2004 set really screwed up the Death Star blast (you can see the blue screen artifacting and all the color is sucked out of it).

While the new sequence in ESB trying to "build tension" to rescue Luke isn't bad I don't think, I do prefer Vader's old line delivery for "Bring my shuttle" where he sounds pissed, rather than a more business like "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" (unused line from original Star Wars), and then showing us an unused shot from ROTJ of Vader on the DEATH STAR (rather than his star destroyer... yep, that's Jererrod greeting him with his voice muted out!)... oops.

I liked Biggs, but I wanted to see MORE of him. And why insert a guy walking past to cut off part of Red Leader's speech? I wanted to hear about him knowing Luke's father! But I guess since Lucas decided he didn't want to write that character into the prequels, he just nixed the whole thing.

They looked really cool in the theater I guess I should say (and sounded cool with the shockwave whoosing past you in your seat), but now they just look silly on the small screen, and I'd like to have the old explosions back.

There were just so many unnecessary changes (though the rest I could live with), while they ignored stuff that ought to have been fixed (like the inaccurate Death Star schematics in ANH, or the uncolored saber blades, garbage mattes around ships, etc). I could have lived with the changes if the originals had been available as an alternative. At least that's finally possible now...

I liked the cleaned up video on the 2004 editions, but the bad color timing in numerous scenes, and the audio gaffes were quite annoying and detracted from the experience. The general lack of special features related to the movies was also disappointing (barring Empire of Dreams of course, though it mostly focused on the original Star Wars, not the other two movies, oddly). No deleted scenes, no additional commentaries (Ben Burtt is an awesomely talented sound man, but I'd like to hear somebody besides him for key scenes!).

This is really what they should have done with the first box set.. give us the originals and the new revamped versions side by side.

It's too bad it'll be a "limited release" so I guess I'll have to take advantage, until the next ploy to get me to buy Star Wars again (this is only the third time I'd be buying an official Star Wars trilogy set, total, including VHS releases).

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Old 05-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #9
Henz

Should have been released before in the same way the Alien Qudrilogy was. Original and special edition. And yes, fixed up lightsabers would have been nice.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
eastcoast2895

I just want to make sure i'm reading this part right
Quote:
In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.
does this mean the disc being released this fall will have both the 2004 edition and the original on it? meaning if i want both versions on dvd i just have to get the fall release?

do or do not there is no try - yoda
eastcoast2895 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2006, 06:26 AM   #11
Bill-Ba D'Kota
Rookie

That's the way it souds

I will buy the new release because it will be nice to see the originals again. Last time I saw those was a long time ago... :P However, my pick is the revised version, with the exception with throwing Hayden in the end of RotJ. That was pathetic imo. The revised version rocks compared to the original, imo. I still can't figure out how a bounty hunter can shoot first from across a table and still miss by a good couple feet
Bill-Ba D'Kota is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
Kurgan
Headhunter

So from what I gather...

They aren't doing any new fixes to the 2004 Editions for this set.

We're getting three packs, priced at $30 each.
A Star Wars pack, an Empire Strikes Back pack, and a Return of the Jedi pack.
Each is two discs. Disc 1=2004 version (just as was previously released twice), Disc 2=1993 "theatrical" edition

I don't think it will literally be the "theatrical versions" because the 1993 editions could refer to those released on the home market, that is, with a different sound mix, and the original Star Wars would have the modified (1981) opening crawl "Episode IV: A New Hope."

Originally in the SW.com news update they made reference to the version of Star Wars BEFORE the opening crawl ws modified, but then quickly deleted that line, so they must have gotten false information.

But yeah, when you buy these packs, you'll be forced to get the 2004 version, which is exactly the same as the version that was released in 2004 (4 disc set) and in 2005 (3 disc set). No "Bonus Disc" with Empire of Dreams this time (that was only in the 4 disc set).

I agree with you that this is what they SHOULD have done in the first place, back in 2004. Rather, I think they should have delayed the 2004 set and released this that they're going to release in September, for the 2005 set. Make it a 7 disc set, leave out the Episode III junk and Battlefront II junk, which would leave room for Deleted Scenes, fix the bad color timing and sound gaffes, and that would be the "ultimate" Star Wars DVD set. Sadly, that's just wishful thinking. I'm not in charge over at the Ranch, so this is what we got.

At least another set means another opportunity for fans to make their own edits if they like. The Deleted Scenes remain in low quality format on the 'net and on the out of print "Behind the Magic" CD-ROM (though a few can be seen on the trailers on the Bonus Disc).

Old 05-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #13
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
"They no longer exist for me." Heh, the lure of more money won out. Oh well, whatever it takes... I'll be singing the Ewok song along with everyone else!
Or possibly he felt that since there was such a demand, he decided to release them to please the fans.

But that can't be, because Lucas has to be evil incarnate.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 01:50 AM   #14
Kurgan
Headhunter

It's probably both. But clearly he's compromised his "principles" by doing this. In any case, I'm glad!

My insinuation that he's just doing this for money comes from the fact that he's releasing them as seperate bundles and packing in the 2004 Editions (for the third release of that set in a row).

Old 05-11-2006, 11:54 PM   #15
eastcoast2895

you could argue that the inclusion of the 2004 editions is his way of forcing fans to have a copy of the versions he considers "true" and that he is releasing the OT because of the request of fans.
but to quote a wise philospher
"Cash Money" - Randy Moss

do or do not there is no try - yoda
eastcoast2895 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2006, 12:16 AM   #16
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
why anyone wants to pay their hard earned for an oldschool laserdisc transfer is beyond me. It isnt even in anamorphic !! lolz. I could post screenies to show you the ugliness of such a thing, but i wont. On todays large displays, especially LCD screens(like my 27 and 45") it would look HORRIBLE!

Still, as long as it stops the O-OT whiners, its a plus

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #17
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Amen, Astrotoy. Well said.

"For where ever there is a n00b, there is MachineCult to make him cry and cringe."
- Halo_92

Old 05-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #18
Kurgan
Headhunter

It wouldn't look that bad, I've seen what they look like on big widescreen HD plasma display and 19 in LCD display (non widescreen). No worse than brand new VHS tape anyway.

If you have your face pasted up close to the display and are comparing it to the 2004 editions, yes it'll look far from perfect. But just to watch? Not bad at all.

Quote:
Still, as long as it stops the O-OT whiners, its a plus
Aw hells no. Lucas secretly enjoys the whining, so he'll never give it 100%, always leaving room for some whining.

- No anamorphic/no restoration (not even a competent one)
- Only DD 2.0 stereo (no mono mix, no 6 channel pcm)
- No extras (deleted scenes for example)
- Limited time release (and never again? or just to release them again in a few years for another dip)
- Bad covers (why not theatrical covers? though fans can print their own)
- Have to buy 2004 editions with it (in three seperate packs)

Ya gotta keep poking and prodding Lucas... he says he wants to be done with Star Wars... does he honestly think one more half a$$ed release will "end all interest" in it?
It's a fan loyalty test, that's it! Dangle another carrot...

Old 05-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #19
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Aw hells no. Lucas secretly enjoys the whining, so he'll never give it 100%, always leaving room for some whining.
Yeah, that pimp likes beating around all his whiny bitches.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #20
Darth_Terros
Veteran

Helpful! 
Im gonna buy the ROTJ disc just after the second death star blows up i can change dvd and see the ending how it should've stayed with the awesome Ewok song!!!

Darth_Terros is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #21
Steve-O Kreesh
Rookie

Current Game: G.H. - Metallica
I myself remember watching the original cut of the OT as a kid and I loved them. (And I am old enough to remember seeing ROTJ in the theater in '83. )

I have no problem with the 2004 versions or the original cut versions, I like both. Will I buy these new editions? Yeah, probably. I'm a starwars fan and I will sell my soul to George by giving him more money for yet another edition of these three films.

(This will be the fifth version the OT I will own. Yikes!)

Steve-O Kreesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #22
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Yep...we made GL mad enough that he just finally said: "OMG if I give you what you want then will you shut up?" Congrats...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #23
ExileRevan
Rookie

Quote:
I've heard, some of the changes are drastic, especially 'Han shot first'. So I prefer the orignals, though I might get this package anyway.

Thank GOD! Even such a little thing anoyed the crap outa me! Han fireing first defines his scoundrel character. I'm very happy about the originals comming to DVD, buying them on pre-order.
ExileRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #24
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult
I never saw all of the originals and I never really want to, I guess technically they aren't canon. One thing I really hate is the song at the end of ROTJ, that is one special edition change that no-one can question. I mean the Ewoks singing? I thought it had turned into an episode of the f***ing Muppet Show.
Wow. You must be a youngling. When did they loose their place as canon. Did something occur, which I did not know about?

I liked the end of the original version of ROTJ. Yeah, the change probally needed to happen, but I grew up with that weird ending. Hehehe...

I wonder what Yoda would say. You made fun of the Muppet Show. I grew up with that show as well. Yoda (Frank Oz) the second voice to Kermit the Frog. I personally prefer the Muppet of Yoda over the digital.

I welcome the 1977 version. Plus, I consider Star Wars: A New Hope as Episode I. Hehehehe...

I have to go and call Yoda. Hehehe... I think he would like to hear what you said. F.Y.I. - My avatar was directly taken from my ESB DVD.

Puppet Yoda live forever.

----Edit----
Come to think of it. I don't believe I am going to buy the 1977 version. Since it will be bundled with the ones I allready have, I think it would be a little waste of money. Too bad he didn't release the 1977 version first. I would not have bought the special edditions. Bummer.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008

Last edited by MacLeodCorp; 06-25-2006 at 04:21 PM.
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #25
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeodCorp
Wow. You must be a youngling. When did they loose their place as canon. Did something occur, which I did not know about?
Canonically, Ewoks don't sing, the Death Stars tractor beam controls aren't written in english and Anakins force ghost is him at the age of 21.
and, I grew up loving the originals, I was 12 when episode 1 came out, and when the OT DVDs came out, I loved those changes, they make all the films fit as a series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeodCorp
I wonder what Yoda would say. You made fun of the Muppet Show. I grew up with that show as well. Yoda (Frank Oz) the second voice to Kermit the Frog. I personally prefer the Muppet of Yoda over the digital.

I have to go and call Yoda. Hehehe... I think he would like to hear what you said. F.Y.I. - My avatar was directly taken from my ESB DVD.

Puppet Yoda live forever.
Wow, okay... I didn't even mention Yoda, so I don't know where that came from.

- Halo_92

Old 06-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #26
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Canonically, Ewoks don't sing, the Death Stars tractor beam controls aren't written in english and Anakins force ghost is him at the age of 21.
and, I grew up loving the originals, I was 12 when episode 1 came out, and when the OT DVDs came out, I loved those changes, they make all the films fit as a series.

Wow, okay... I didn't even mention Yoda, so I don't know where that came from.
You mentioned Muppet Show. Yoda is a puppet, and Frank Oz did the voice for Kermit the Frog on the Muppet Show.

Quote:
I was 12 when episode 1 came out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineCult - Profile
Birthday:
August 25, 1987
Yeah. You are young. I was 3 when Episode IV hit the big screen. My first rememberable movie was 'Empire Strikes Back', but my parents did bring me to the theater to see Star Wars: A New Hope. When 'The Phantom Menace' hit the theater I was 23. That could explain why you are more open minded to the changes. Hehehe... Thats is oky. Everything will be fine. Hehehe... You just built a different perspective than your elders. Hehehe...

2004-2008

Last edited by MacLeodCorp; 06-25-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:58 AM   #27
Kurgan
Headhunter

*Sigh* kids these days... (just kidding Machinecult, but it does explain a lot!).

Old 06-26-2006, 05:58 AM   #28
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

Kurgan I demand that my personal information is deleted from his post.

I was about 7 or 8 when the OT special edition hit the big screen, so my age doesn't really have anything to do with it, I "grew up with the original trilogy" and everything, but not being a nostalgic old man "Star Wars wasn't like that in my day", I liked the PT, and I liked the OT DVD, because these movies are meant to be a series, going from I to VI, and from now on that is how kids are going to watch them.

- Halo_92

Last edited by MachineCult; 06-26-2006 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #29
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
I am going to carbon-date myself, but oh well... Did anyone ever get Star Wars: The Original cut on records. They had a version on record, which the listener would read along. Ignore the fact that I linked a blog site, for I am only trying to show you the pictures.

Star Wars : A New Hope : Read Along
http://checkthecoolwax.blogspot.com/...ead-along.html

Star Wars : Empire Strikes Back : Read Along
http://checkthecoolwax.blogspot.com/...back-read.html

Star Wars : Return Of The Jedi : Read Along
http://checkthecoolwax.blogspot.com/...ead-along.html

Nostelgic... All the way... Hehehe...

The days when Han shot first, and Boba Fett was cold and ruthless. The days when the Ewoks danced and sang, and Sabastian Shaw was the force ghosts at the end of ROTJ. Hehehe...

2004-2008
Old 06-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #30
MachineCult
Vincit Amor Patria

lol, that "Hehehe..." you keep doing is really creepy, nostalgia aside, how is Shaw better as the force ghost than Anakin? I just don't get it.

- Halo_92

Last edited by MachineCult; 06-26-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #31
RellikRats
Rookie

Wasn't there another record, one that had the actual movie track, not the music, but a lot of the acting and such along with a set of pictures?

Oh, and why is Shaw better than Christiansen? He ain't. Putting Hayden in makes the entire saga more consistent. Not to mention that Shaw looked like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man

RellikRats
----------------------------
Uoy htiw eb Ecrof eht yam

Galaxies: Udun Kai
Ultima Online: Zarathustra
RellikRats is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #32
Kurgan
Headhunter

Ah Star Wars is all about nostalgia. These whipper snappers nowadays don't understand it like you and me!

I was 5 when ROTJ first came out in theaters, and I was thrilled to see it. I saw the re-release of A New Hope (yes, it was "A New Hope" by then) as well, but I never saw ESB in theaters until the SE's in 1997.

Anyway, I can understand if you weren't alive in 1985 (the last time ROTJ was re-released, '86 for Bulgaria; ANH was last shown in '82, though '86 in Spain; ESB in '82, '83 in Australia) if you don't have special feelings for these films how they were before Lucas started changing things around drastically. Just don't deny us our dreams and fan fulfillment.

Seriously though, who's the more nerdy or geeky, the people who whined for the originals from 1997 to 2006, (and are now getting them thanks in large part to their whining) or the folks who gloated about the SE's being better and now are pissed off that the originals are finally officially seeing the light of day on DVD?

Old 06-26-2006, 01:51 PM   #33
RellikRats
Rookie

I don't think I've seen anyone who prefers the SE get "pissed off" about the OOT coming out. I'm kind of glad they are, personally, even though I prefer the SE, because I'm geeky enough to play them side by side and pick out the changes

And I'm old enough to remember seeing Star Wars opening weekend in 77, let alone '85, and I do have a special place in my heart for the OOT, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate (or prefer, as the case may be) some the changes made for the sake of continuity or, for example, cleaning up the rather cheesy (in hindsight) explosion of DS1

OTOH, Han did shoot first. I saw him. I was there.

RellikRats
----------------------------
Uoy htiw eb Ecrof eht yam

Galaxies: Udun Kai
Ultima Online: Zarathustra
RellikRats is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-26-2006, 07:03 PM   #34
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Ah Star Wars is all about nostalgia. These whipper snappers nowadays don't understand it like you and me!

I was 5 when ROTJ first came out in theaters, and I was thrilled to see it. I saw the re-release of A New Hope (yes, it was "A New Hope" by then) as well, but I never saw ESB in theaters until the SE's in 1997.

Anyway, I can understand if you weren't alive in 1985 (the last time ROTJ was re-released, '86 for Bulgaria; ANH was last shown in '82, though '86 in Spain; ESB in '82, '83 in Australia) if you don't have special feelings for these films how they were before Lucas started changing things around drastically. Just don't deny us our dreams and fan fulfillment.

Seriously though, who's the more nerdy or geeky, the people who whined for the originals from 1997 to 2006, (and are now getting them thanks in large part to their whining) or the folks who gloated about the SE's being better and now are pissed off that the originals are finally officially seeing the light of day on DVD?
I give George credit for releasing that extra features dvd. The vintage tv/movie trailers are so primitive that they look cool. ESB's vintage trailers are so legendary. From the watching the extra-long-long documentary, George said he created them without even starting the film.

The folks who gloated about the SE's being better are more nerdy. Hehehe...

Whinning about not getting the 1977 release is more like preserving antiquity. Hehehe... (I threw the last 'Hehehe...' to freak MachineCult out.)

2004-2008
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #35
Great Scott!

I hate people who say the special/DVD editions ruined the movies, not only do I like a lot of the changes, but I really think the better quality makes up for the changes to those who don't (seriously, watch an older version of A New Hope... bleh). But I would like to see the first versions anyway, like my parents, so I like it.

Have you people heard of those idiots at originaltrilogy.com who are actually whining because even though they're getting the original versions they begged for, they're mad because they didn't get them in some stupid certain format? People like these are such spoiled nerds... seriously...
Great Scott! is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-11-2006, 02:37 AM   #36
playloud
Rookie

They have been wanting the originals on DVD for a long time, and now that they finally are getting it, they found out that will likely be from an old Laserdisc master, as opposed to a 35mm film master. As such, the release would not be anamorphic (which is very limiting for people who have HDTV TVs, or TVs that have a verticle squeeze mode. They want a pristine anamorphic version of the originals. No more, no less. I can't say that I blame them. The 2004 DVD transfers were anamorphic, and one would expect the same for the originals.

I don't mind the special editions (some of it I like, some I don't). I will buy the originals, just so I can compare them with the current versions, and any future releases.

Last edited by playloud; 09-08-2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #37
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
Well, at Best Buy, you can buy the DVDs in a collector's tin. According to them, it's a "Best Buy exclusive". Though, it's an extra $10. >_>

Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #38
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Forum Veteran 
As far as I know, the tins come with the tin. If I bought it, it would cost nearly $90 for me (tax included).

Also, I noticed in another flyer, Future Shop, they are also offering a deal. I think it comes with a holo cover. And Zeller's is offering HBC points. Though, some of this maybe just in Canada.

Yeah, so it looks like most retailers are offering deals when you purchase them.

I ,for one, am planning to purchase them. (I know I have changed my mind) And also going to finally get the Prequels. Since, at Future Shop, all the Star Wars movies are on sale.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:55 PM   #39
Kurgan
Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendork
I hate people who say the special/DVD editions ruined the movies, not only do I like a lot of the changes, but I really think the better quality makes up for the changes to those who don't (seriously, watch an older version of A New Hope... bleh). But I would like to see the first versions anyway, like my parents, so I like it.

Have you people heard of those idiots at originaltrilogy.com who are actually whining because even though they're getting the original versions they begged for, they're mad because they didn't get them in some stupid certain format? People like these are such spoiled nerds... seriously...
I hope you know, you just called me an idiot and a spoiled nerd.

Why do you hate me?

Seriously though, without all the whining, you wouldn't be getting these 1993 laser disc dumps.

What would you do, if your favorite movie, was released this year, without Dolby 5.1 (which is equivalent to how the movies were released in theaters in the six channel format), or anamorphic widescreen (which is STANDARD for theatrical movies released on DVD and has been for years), for a limited time only, and you had to buy some other movie at the same time just to get it?

Would you just dutifully buy it without comment? Other, lesser movies have gotten better treatments than Star Wars, on DVD format. Lowry Digital dropped the ball on the 2004 set (which was rushed out to promote a mediocre video game, Star Wars Battlefront), and now they've given us a substandard rip of the old movies, to promote the 2004 revisions (again) and LEGO Star Wars II (a sequel to a game based on a toy promoting Star Wars, which I'll admit isn't bad, but still!).

I like the 2004 set as well, but the restoration is ruined by the fact that the colors are wrong in so many scenes (the lightsabers are just ruined throughout the trilogy, as are the explosions, unless you really like pink and orange!), the sound is goofed up in A New Hope (but the French listeners get the proper music, for some reason). Then Fox has the gall to call these "deliberate creative decisions." How silly is that?

Let's face it, these "whining nerds" have a point. Their criticisms are valid. No need to be hatin'...

And just to clarify something, the "nerds" (including myself) asked for the films as they were shown in theaters, not "as they were shown on home video in 1993." While we're getting a (re-created on a computer) original 1977 crawl for Star Wars (no "A New Hope") which is good, the rest just isn't up to snuff.

Anamorphic widescreen is not some obscure enhancement, it makes the movie closer to the theatrical presentation. Without this, on a widescreen display, you'll have to blow it up with the zoom feature (or else you have veritcal black bars on the sides of the screen). Blowing it up (your only option now, since it isn't anamorphic) loses you detail and creates extra grain/pixels. It's not as if the technology doesn't exist to make an anamorphic version of the Star Wars trilogy. Several fan editors have done it long before this set was even announced.

Dolby 2.0 is fine for simulating the original experience of the theater for most people. However, 5.1 comes closer to re-creating the theatrical experience for many others, because all of the films were released in select theaters with six channel sound. So for those people, they're being gipped. And in fact, if they were really after re-creating the theatrical experience, they'd give us the option of a MONO track for the original Star Wars (with the alternate sound stuff like the original voice of Aunt Beru before it was redubbed out of synch with her lips, some alternate dogfight/stormtrooper lines, etc) in addition to the 2.0 and 5.1 tracks.

We still have yet to find out which sound track they are using. Will it also be the circa 1993 soundtrack or the altered one from the THX "Faces" set? (with altered lines like Luke's comment to R2D2 after the swamp monster spits him out, or Han's line to Lando in the Sarlacc pit before he shoots the tentacle, or the line the Stormtroopers say as they are searching Mos Eisley buildings for the droids, etc)

I don't mind that Lucas tweaks his movies (as I've said a million times), I just think it feels petty for many of us that he'll at first refuse to release these, and then when he does, he seems to do so in such a grudging fashion, that he refuses to adhere to the most basic standards of quality that other DVD producers of far lesser works than Star Wars adhere to, much less to standards that he himself constantly aspires to.

This is better than nothing, but that doesn't mean we can't call a lemon a lemon.

*puts quarter into soap box donation slot*

Old 09-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #40
Kurgan
Headhunter

Btw, they should just sell an empty collector's tin for Star Wars. That way whatever set people own or choose to buy in the next five years, they can just insert it into the box.

IF I get this se I'll look for the best deal possible. No plastic Yoda figurines or other trinkets, just the original movies.

Amazon.com offers the whole set for $53.61 (plus tax, but free shipping). That's far cheaper than ordering it from LucasArts/Film. Wal-Mart might sell them even cheaper (as they often do).

But buying them on the first day seems like a mistake. You'll have a full 80 days to purchase them, starting the 12th, if you really want to, and you know some will still be left over (if not to be sold in the bargain bin of stores, then on ebay surely).

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > "Unaltered" Original Trilogy Limited 2006 Edition DVD thread (still in stores!)