lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: EAW EXPANSION ANNOUNCED!!
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-08-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
Foshjedi2004

EAW EXPANSION ANNOUNCED!!

http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php?topic=3627.0

This is an Excerpt from the PC Gamer (UK) magazine

Quote:
George Lucas gets some things right: he may have desecrated the SW universe with his hideous attempts at the Prequels, but the recent RTS StarWars: Empire At War stepped into the original films' timeline and was all teh better for it. You Spread your corruption through the galaxy Far Far Away, using your dark influence to earn money, suck up resources and wage space-and ground-based real-time battles.
The Expansion brings you a new challenge, to go Jabba on the younglings. You're Aspiring crime lord Tyber Zann, who is undermining the Empire, Rebels and Everyone else for the ULTIMATE PRIZE: A SUPER STAR DESTROYER, ELEVEN TIMES the size of the original. There's a Machievellian undercurrent to the action, as you spy, cajole, threaten and steal from the rest of teh universe to fuel your own Infamy
Looks like they've dropped the ball on this....Anyone heard of the Crime Lord Xizor???

They're introducing a New Crimelord with no mention of Diplomacy...

However the little Picture I have before me shows TIE Phantoms, Interceptors, Defenders and the SSD....

I wish they had done a larger pic. You can hardly see it....
http://legacy.gamemod.net/images/EAW%20XPACK.jpg

My Personal Opinions are not Endorsed by Any Websites, persons or places.
Check out my Gallery
[/color]

Last edited by darthfergie; 05-08-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Foshjedi2004 is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
darthfergie
Q-38 Modulator

LFN Staff Member 
Xizor was from Shadows of the Empire, surprised you missed that, twas even a happy little game in addition to the book and soundtrack. He pretty much headed up the Black Sun.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/princexizor/

Kinda weird though that they made the main civ a crime lord civ...should be interesting though.

darthfergie is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
Destroyder121

Though not exactly what i was wishing for from a expansion, this sounds great nevertheless.
Destroyder121 is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
Foshjedi2004

I was being Sarcastic...Why have A New Character when you can do Xizor's Rise to power...
http://pff.swrebellion.com/index.php...50794#msg50794

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 05-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
Henda
Lurker

I don't like this, they have so much material to use and then they add another section to it, obviously this won't be the last expansion but I'm worried as to how many more expansions that probably won't be worth buying.

Ofc I won't be buying it since they havent fixed the exception error thats been around for over 2 months (which i've got).
Henda is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Lord hobo
Rookie

i say wait to E3 for more details before we make assumtions
Lord hobo is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Xyvik
Rookie

Boy, I nailed this one on the head. When asked by Nick over at PetroMW what was the most likely to be included in an EaW expansion, my first reply: "A Fringe Faction"

The Sith War: EaW Total Conversion
Arcani Arts: 3D Art

"Willkommen ins verderben"

Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani
Xyvik is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
wuyanxu
Rookie

nice screenshot, lucky we can see the SSD from this shot, it's not as big as it says on the article tho
wuyanxu is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
DCorris
Rookie

i suppose this is what they ment by going sideways, they just better include some ep5-6 campaigns and stuff
problem being this isnt really what we wanted in an expansion, and if they give us this crime lord stuff and not anything what we really had asked for, i cant see many people buying this or any future expansions
anyway
il stay positive, just hope they know what there doing
DCorris is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Well at least we know there are going to be new imperial TIEs. If you look closely you can see a TIE Defender! Eeek!!

> Lucas Forums Moderator
> Petroglyph Forums Moderator
> Unofficial Petroglyph Fan Forums Global Moderator
popcorn2008 is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #11
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Oh...umm. Not what I excepted...I was hoping for a prequel sequel.

Meh?

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Lord hobo
Rookie

i agree a prequel would be good but that would put some mods out of work, for example imperial assult2
Lord hobo is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
Foshjedi2004

EMPIRE AT WAR!!

NOT REPUBLIC AT WAR!!!

YOU WANT A PREQUEL THING GO AND FIND GALACTIC BATTLEGROUDNS!!! FFS

Sorry but I am annoyed that you are all worked up that it is not a Prequel Game....It is set in the Post Clone Wars Era....MOVING INTO THE GCW!!!

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 05-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
Henda
Lurker

Doesn't matter if they make an expansion that a mod has made, in the end it's gonna be a different story, new features (hopefully) offical voices etc... so it's worth buying but still a KOTOR or NJO expansion would of been better.
Henda is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Personally, Im glad they decided to do something out of the ordinary.

C'mon! We all expected either prequel or ESB-RoTJ. Now that they are doing this we can expect them to focus more on:

> Unique Storyline
> More features
> New Units
> New Planets

etc. etc... but if they did say a prequel expansion, they would have to create a TON of more units and such to make it work. This would make it were they couldnt put as much focus on other apsects of the game.

> Lucas Forums Moderator
Old 05-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #16
Darth_Torpid-PG
Rookie

I assure you, that article merely scratched the surface. There's lots of new stuff coming. However, I can't really say anything until the official announcement. Expect to see/hear a lot more on Wednesday (E3) and during the developer chat later on.

-Darth Torpid
-Game Designer
-Petroglyph
Darth_Torpid-PG is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #17
jediturkey
Banned

Cool Guy

Any expansion that doesn't cover Anakin in his wooden acting, temper tantrum, sappy puppy love years is fine with me.
jediturkey is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #18
Foshjedi2004

Thanks for that little Cherry on top there Torpid....You add a completely new Character Noone has EVER heard of and thats Just the Surface.....

Great...Fantastic....

What about the known characters Like Prince Xizor, Talon Karrde, THRAWN, ZAARIN!!

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 05-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #19
Xyvik
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshjedi2004
Thanks for that little Cherry on top there Torpid....You add a completely new Character Noone has EVER heard of and thats Just the Surface.....

Great...Fantastic....

What about the known characters Like Prince Xizor, Talon Karrde, THRAWN, ZAARIN!!
I suggest you calm yourself, Fosh. It's called CREATIVE WRITING. Ever take a good look at my mod? None of the people exist in real Star Wars. Yet I can guarentee that it will kick butt because I am not limited to the constraints of Lucas "good guys always win despite any odds" formula.

So chill out, sit back, relax, and most importantly, BREATHE.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #20
jediturkey
Banned

Okay seriously .. if the expansion is going to be this far along, why not make a second game vs. an expansion? By the time the expansion hits the shelves most people will have moved on to other games and probably misplaced their original copies of EAW. Seems a bit silly. No?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #21
DarthMaulUK

Great news. Expect to see some screenshots VERY soon!

DMUK
  you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #22
Foshjedi2004

SWEET...I actually had a Message Deleted...

LMAO

Ok...Look here:

The Fact is that XIZOR is already in the game...Just not completely. It would have been a 2 day job adding him back and then as a SubFaction for the Empire add it in. They could have developed the story through the Intervening Years, the Yavin Blockade, Derra IV, Circapous IV, the TIE and B-wing Development Programs, Hoth, Shadows of the Empire....It would have been so Fun to revisit events you play through in XWA, XVsT, X-wing, TIE-Fighter...

As I said...Maybe the Expansion will be pushed Back to February so that they can get the feedback required to Actually make the game We want....

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 05-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #23
Xyvik
Rookie

Quote:
SWEET...I actually had a Message Deleted...

LMAO

Ok...Look here:

The Fact is that XIZOR is already in the game...Just not completely. It would have been a 2 day job adding him back and then as a SubFaction for the Empire add it in. They could have developed the story through the Intervening Years, the Yavin Blockade, Derra IV, Circapous IV, the TIE and B-wing Development Programs, Hoth, Shadows of the Empire....It would have been so Fun to revisit events you play through in XWA, XVsT, X-wing, TIE-Fighter...

As I said...Maybe the Expansion will be pushed Back to February so that they can get the feedback required to Actually make the game We want....
Correction: they would be making the game you want. That is not a game I want, for one. And I can bet its not a game a lot of other people want either. Why? Because other games already deal with that. That would be like making an RTS version of battlefront. Petroglyph is doing something different so we don't retread the same old stories and the same old crap, they are giving us something new.

So don't generalize your wants for the community's wants. It's not very becoming.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #24
Foshjedi2004

Sorry Xyvik....

Look. This is Star Wars. There is a wealth of Material to work From. IMO they shouldn't have tried to make this game unless they knew that they would piss off the HC SW fans who want to see all the fighters in their Canon Roles.

I just want a game that has everything that happened during the GCW

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 05-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #25
Xyvik
Rookie

Quote:
Sorry Xyvik....

Look. This is Star Wars. There is a wealth of Material to work From. IMO they shouldn't have tried to make this game unless they knew that they would piss off the HC SW fans who want to see all the fighters in their Canon Roles.

I just want a game that has everything that happened during the GCW

What I suggest is that you wait for more information. It's really hard to tell what the X-Pak is going to entail from those paragraphs. Perhaps this new crimelord is a subordinate of Xizor. Black Sun IS a big organization, you know. And there are hundreds of potential stories in Star Wars that have nothing to do with your main characters. Just look at all the work done in the "Tales From..." books. People looked beyond the established characters and crafted people, worlds, and stories outside the box, some with excellent results, some with not so excellent results.

The point is that the Star Wars universe is huge. There are billions of inhabitants. Why waste time retreading a story that has already been done in at least 3 other games when you can create something new?

Old 05-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #26
Athanasios
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Torpid-PG
I assure you, that article merely scratched the surface. There's lots of new stuff coming.
I am keeping my hands out of this, till i see the bones of it.

Diplomacy, instant damage, decent AI, many units plus all the 1000++ requests in LF and PFF forums must be fulfiled.

I am afraid that since this x-pack is based on EaW engine, we'll get nothing new just a bunch of new units...

Although that "threat" feature hints diplomacy, i doubt if it's the depth of Total War or Rebellion.

And yes, im not a starcraft-C&C-or-any-other-spamfest-arcadish RTS player...

EaW: Total Realism
mod....
TR mod team status: TR Leader, programmer, map maker, Multimedia & Website developer & administrator, Public Relations manager
Athanasios is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #27
jediturkey
Banned

What's wrong with the EAW engine? It looks pretty versatile to me. Besides any engine can be pretty much modified to do anything.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #28
Darth_Torpid-PG
Rookie

Quote:

Great...Fantastic....

Almost every Star Wars game in existence adds new material. Remember that the definition of "canon" material is anything that appears in the movies - and that's it. Many of the things people are asking for are EU (including every character you mentioned above) and are "new" to people who only know the movies. Some of the best Star Wars games are completely new material (Knights of the Old Republic anyone?). And honestly, did anyone know who Grand Admiral Thrawn was before "Heir to the Empire" was written? Some people still don't know who he is. Are you really saying that anything new added to the mythology is automatically bad?

That said, many here are basing assumptions on a very short article with little actual information in it. Just because we are adding new material does not mean that some of the things you mentioned are not in the expansion - which is why I suggest that you wait until more detailed information is released before going off the deep end. As I said above, I really can't say anything more at this time, but I (or SageKing, or Delphi) will answer more questions as soon as the official announcement is made.

-Darth Torpid
-Game Designer
-Petroglyph

Last edited by Darth_Torpid-PG; 05-08-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Darth_Torpid-PG is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #29
Foshjedi2004

Not When Everything apart from the AI seems to be hardcoded into the engine.

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 05-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #30
jediturkey
Banned

They made the engine. They can modify it. They have the source code. The expansion isn't a mod.

I really hope Episodes 1 - 3's content are never included. They were some of the wost movies ever made, period.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #31
DarthMaulUK

This isnt the place to debate the game engine. Weve a mod forum for that. Lets not start spamming.

DMUK
  you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #32
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Okay LISTEN to DMUK. This is a discussion about the Expansion. Anymore spam will result in administrative action. And that's not a good thing.

BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE.

> Lucas Forums Moderator
Old 05-08-2006, 04:47 PM   #33
Solid Snake
Rookie

THEY GOT THE EXECUTOR!!!!! im so happy to see vader's baby
Solid Snake is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #34
Foshjedi2004

I don't mean to be Self Advertising but aren't their Skins a Lot worse than LoWs??

Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #35
Athanasios
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Torpid-PG
Are you really saying that anything new added to the mythology is automatically bad?
Although i stated my opinion above, i do believe that developers shouldn't be put a hang in their necks, move on a small chair where hardly can step and code on their computers...(Torpid: hmm...."10 ways for fully efficient game developement )

Moving a little "out of the line" and don't stick to SW Expanded Universe leaves many spaces for devs to move around; new units, new worlds, new stories.

Besides, Force Commander used a simple story of two brothers that joined Empire, unknown to the rest SW "universe", but the storyline was (personally) frigging nice for a first 3D RTS.

So, you don't know anything about that new rogue who wants an 11-size SSD. In the end, he might turn to rebels and save galaxy from a X,Y,Z,... threat. Or turn to empire. Or move on and become new emperor. Or wreack havoc in galaxy with piracy.

Non-linear storylines are, nontheless, in fashion afterall .

EaW: Total Realism
mod....
TR mod team status: TR Leader, programmer, map maker, Multimedia & Website developer & administrator, Public Relations manager
Athanasios is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #36
popcorn2008
Little Green Friend

Quote:
I don't mean to be Self Advertising but aren't their Skins a Lot worse than LoWs??

Let's hope this is a beta stage, but yeah I noticed that myself. Even our SSD texture is better .

> Lucas Forums Moderator
Old 05-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #37
Ali1392
Rookie

havent you ever noticed how things allways lookmore blocky in mags
Ali1392 is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 05:06 PM   #38
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Sounds like awesome news, thanks for the heads up This new idea seems a lot more unique than the current game is, I'm liking it

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 06:00 PM   #39
Darth Andrew
Veteran

Sounds very interesting, though who cares about some lame-o pirate faction () when the Imperials will now get SSDs and new TIEs! Though I wish it was a Clone Wars expansion, at least this one is adding (at least) one new side, which is a plus in my book.
Darth Andrew is offline   you may:
Old 05-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #40
Xyvik
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediturkey
I really hope Episodes 1 - 3's content are never included. They were some of the wost movies ever made, period.
Hear hear! Glad somebody besides me sees the light!

To be honest, I'm fully liking this idea. Minus Grand Admiral Thrawn, I've always liked pirates and smugglers as opposed to Imperials or Rebels. Well, I take that back a little bit, I've always preferred Imperial-aligned Pirates, because the Rebels are just a bunch of criminals who think that they are above the law. Scum.

Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > EAW EXPANSION ANNOUNCED!!