lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: is KoToR III for PC?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #1
ricardo58
Lurker

is KoToR III for PC?

If there is a kotor iii its for PC? i saw somewhere it maybe was for Xbox.
If its for Xbox i hope they make for pc too because the other kotor's were for PC, and i can't have Xbox i only have PC and PS2
ricardo58 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

There is no KotOR3. If there was one, it would probably be for PC and xBox360.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Darth Manus
Rookie

I think they're probably going to make an eventual KOTOR III for the 360. And of course they'd have to make a PC version of it, or half the fans would club them to death with lightsaber replicas. :P

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Darth Manus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Vector Thrust
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Actually, they have to do no such thing. Besides, the vast majority of KOTOR games sold were for the XBox.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was 360 only.

Come to think of it, maybe that is why Lucasarts is waiting to do the third installment. They want to have the 360 prevalent enough to make the game exclusive...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Actually, they have to do no such thing. Besides, the vast majority of KOTOR games sold were for the XBox.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was 360 only.

Come to think of it, maybe that is why Lucasarts is waiting to do the third installment. They want to have the 360 prevalent enough to make the game exclusive...
Indeed.. and although I completely agree with what Prime said.. it'd be the end of the KotOR Series for me unfortunately..

I don't own a "recent" console.. and I'm not about to buy one just for one game.. (yes, I've seen the other games available and sorry, they don't suit my tastes)

I already have 3 antiquated machines that will never see the power plug.. and owning a nextgen will only follow suit.. my PC however, will live forever (in one form or another hehehe.. )

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #6
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da
Indeed.. and although I completely agree with what Prime said.. it'd be the end of the KotOR Series for me unfortunately..

I don't own a "recent" console.. and I'm not about to buy one just for one game.. (yes, I've seen the other games available and sorry, they don't suit my tastes)

I already have 3 antiquated machines that will never see the power plug.. and owning a nextgen will only follow suit.. my PC however, will live forever (in one form or another hehehe.. )
I hear you man! I know what you mean...

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #7
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
^
I just think Prime likes stirring the pot.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
aerowars617
Rookie

I Agree, its not worth buying a console just for 1 game, I mean its like £250 or something like that for the basic version! Then again, top notch graphics cards cost a similar price, if not higher!

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
aerowars617 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
KyleOfHarpenden
Rookie

well i bought my kotor on xbox but im not gonna buy a 360 for kotor series there gr8 but there's no chance ill do that but if they did make it on PC u'd probally need a very very good graphics card because of the 360 i dont htink they'll makea whole new graphics thing for the pc version i know Lucas has had its best year but i dont think they would. There arent any plans to make a Kotor3 check the Lucas site theres the E3 thing its got lego star wars 2 and some other game no Kotor3 that makes me sad but maybe they just don't have the story yet.
KyleOfHarpenden is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I think Prime makes a valid point but it's too early to say. First, we don't even know if KotOR 3 is being developed or not, right? Until we know LucasArts has made the decision to make the game then it's premature to speculate on what type of platforms the game will be published for. It's a moot point if the game isn't made.

We could however get a better idea of the possibility of KotOR 3 being console-only if someone familiar with Xbox 360 development tools has an idea of how much additional effort would be required to port an Xbox 360 game to PC.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Darth Manus
Rookie

Well, I doubt most people would waste a fortune on a 360 just to get a new KOTOR. If LucasArts started playing elitist and giving PC gamers the middle finger, then I think that many of them wouldn't forget such a gesture. I don't know about you, but personally, I can get quite annoyed when some games are exclusively released on a single platform.

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
dewayne26
Rookie

look what at la did to swg made it in to fps and rpg. and it doesn't a genius to the writing on the wall it going 360 i bet. and don't mention what they said that they wouldn't i wouldn't take the word light is day and dark is night anymore....

Dewayne
"The only easy day was yesterday" US Navy SEALs
dewayne26 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
Master Kavar

What's with all this talk of one game not being worth buying a new console? Just what kind of fans are you anyways? :P Back in my day I bought a brand spanking new Sony Playstation just for the privelage of playing the new Final Fantasy VII, with no fore thought of what other Playstation games were like, or going to be like.

Shame on you all...Shame I say!
Master Kavar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
We all know no one in their right mind would by a console just so they could play a certain game, just as well as we know that there's no official information on KoTOR 3, but we hope it will be made.
Regardless of what Prime said about the majority of the KoTOR 1 & 2 copies being sold were for the consoles, Lucas Arts wouldn't have made PC versions of the game, if they weren't sure it would generate enormous profit.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #15
Jasper_Kazai

If KotOR III is for the Xbox, I'd be mad, but I could still get it if I wanted to. If KotOR III is for the 360, then I'd be really mad, and I couldn't get it.

Jasper_Kazai is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #16
Henz

I'd buy a 360 for KOTOR III... :$
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #17
igyman
Tension!

Well, if you have money to waste on the 360, then by all means go ahead and buy it!

Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper_Kazai
If KotOR III is for the Xbox, I'd be mad, but I could still get it if I wanted to. If KotOR III is for the 360, then I'd be really mad, and I couldn't get it.
If Kotor 3 gets made it won't be for the Xbox. K3 will definitely be on one of the next-gen consoles so I guess that means you should prepare to be really mad.

Old 05-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #19
Killwithhonor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Kavar
What's with all this talk of one game not being worth buying a new console? Just what kind of fans are you anyways? :P Back in my day I bought a brand spanking new Sony Playstation just for the privelage of playing the new Final Fantasy VII, with no fore thought of what other Playstation games were like, or going to be like.

Shame on you all...Shame I say!
shame on us i think not, Shame on us for not buying a console for one damn game, thats pointless, buying a 400$ console to play a 60$ gamethen leave the whole thing in the dust, im sorry but i think that is lunacy and just stupid

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...-darksaber.gif
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max for all combined images, Forum Rules. Yours is 130 tall need to trim it down to 120. ~ SWK Staff
Killwithhonor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 06:36 PM   #20
aerowars617
Rookie

unless you are loaded with $$$'s, £££'s or €€€'s

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #21
Master Kavar

Shame on you the most then, Killwithhonor. What it comes down to is how far each gamer would be willing to go to get their hands on this game. And for me, when it comes to any game I just must have, buying the next generation console is just a necessary price to pay.
Master Kavar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #22
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Kavar
Shame on you the most then, Killwithhonor. What it comes down to is how far each gamer would be willing to go to get their hands on this game. And for me, when it comes to any game I just must have, buying the next generation console is just a necessary price to pay.
I guess you must have money tree out back of your house.

2nd biggest reason why I will not buy a console is that you can't play a game with mods.
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2006, 11:09 PM   #23
aerowars617
Rookie

3rd Reason, PC's can be used for more than just gaming or watching DVD's

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #24
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerowars617
3rd Reason, PC's can be used for more than just gaming or watching DVD's
Bingo..

one of the reasons why I made my statement.. my PC will live forever because it's my bread-n-butter.. my job depends on it and I would rather enjoy having food on my table than a dusty console

Old 05-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #25
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henz
I'd buy a 360 for KOTOR III... :$
Me too.

Although, that would be the straw that would break my bank account's back.

I'd have a moral obligation to continue my fall to the darkside of gaming, the never ending next-gen console platform regurgitation.

It first occured during the old times, during the time of Atari and Intellivision when we were all happy. Then along came Mario and the Nintendo revolution began. I was sucked in and forever will it consume my destiny. Since then the endless flow of console games and platforms has never ceased.

This is just the next step.

Plus, there are a few games on that platform that I want to play.
Call of Duty, Madden, NBA live, TigerWoods, Fightnight3, Oblivion, and that new racing game I saw at E3 last night on G4tv. I can't rmember the name, but the graphics are extremely liquid. I thought I was looking at a video tape of racing. Magnificent. There also was a FPS war game I got a glimpse of that looked marvelous. Sounds like good things to come, but always a long wait.

However, I will wait and see what the PS3 will offer before making any decisions.

Let us not forget HOLO3 looming on the horizon.

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #26
Darth Manus
Rookie

The gaming industry seems to be all about profit. The tendency is for consoles to be ridiculously overpriced, until the next generation systems set in. Then the "old" consoles' value drops, and the new ones are even more expensive. Therefore, it is understandable if some fans feel outraged when they hear they will have to spend a fortune on a new console if they want to play the next installment of a good series of games. After all, regardless of the amount of money people have or not, it is probably infuriating to be forced to buy a console as expensive as a brand new laptop every handful of years.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Manus
The gaming industry seems to be all about profit.
Uh, every industry is all about profit.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #28
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Prime's right. In a nutshell the goal of a captialist is to maximize profits. I may be naive in economics but that is how someone worded it and I find some truth to that.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #29
Darth Manus
Rookie

Of course, but if there's something that gaming companies should learn once and for all is that building a bad reputation with the gamer community isn't exactly good for business. If they keep making unpopular decisions, such as rushing games, releasing them incomplete and with bugs, or making them only for one single overpriced gaming platform, then chances are, people will get tired of their attitude and stop buying their products.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:08 PM   #30
igyman
Tension!

That's a little far fetched, don't you think? Whatever they do, their products will still be sold. Why? Because people have no idea if a game has bugs, or is incomplete, etc, until they buy and play the game. We all know that every once in a while they'll rush a game because the fans want it really bad, so the companies get a little greedy and decide they want to grab a bunch of money as soon as possible. Now, some of them will be somewhat fair, or should I say smart, and release a patch very quickly, so the sale of their product doesn't decrease.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #31
playloud
Rookie

How much extra does it really cost to make a PC version of an Xbox 360 game?

How much money do they make per sale of the said PC game?
playloud is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #32
Darth Manus
Rookie

Well, a good game shouldn't need patches, which are basically corrections for issues that should have been fixed before release.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:18 PM   #33
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Well, a good game shouldn't need patches, which are basically corrections for issues that should have been fixed before release.
That's a nice sentiment, unfortunately everyone doesn't have the same excact PC and hardware/software/driver setups, if they did then we wouldn't need any patches as things can be easily tested. Patches are a neccisary evil because of the variances in peoples PC's.

Now if you are talking console games then I agree they should never be allowed to ship with bugs or glitches.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 AM   #34
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by playloud

Excellent questions. Unfortunately, you need someone that has access to the game developers' books to get your answers.
>_>
<_<
Anyone? Bueller?

Since I don't see anybody that has that has inside access to game company financials I venture to guess that you would find the answer isn't the same for every game. Some games cost more to make than others. It is important to remember that the game industry is breaking new ground with the introduction of multi-threaded programming for games being forced on them by next-gen consoles like the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Game developers know that it will cost more to design games for these next-gen consoles and I think they're just getting the feel for how much more. Many developers are already moving the traditional initial price point of $50USD for a game up to $60USD to account for these extra costs. The process of porting an Xbox 360 game to PC will also be substantially different than for Playstation 3 therefore the costs involved will differ.

So how much will it cost to port an Xbox 360 game to PC?
An accurate answer would only be available from video game companies and possibly industry analysts.
(Unit price * total units sold) - Cost to produce and market the game/total units sold = profit per unit. Unless you have numbers to plug in to the equation that's about the best you can do.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:25 AM   #35
Darth Manus
Rookie

I still remember the massive slowdowns in the first KOTOR before the patch came out. Urgh... now that was infuriating.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #36
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
I still remember the massive slowdowns in the first KOTOR before the patch came out. Urgh... now that was infuriating.
Definitely, and that's a point that few people realize today when griping about TSL...

It took a total of 3 patches before KotOR was 'perfect'.. it's unfortunate that alot of ppl forget that little tid-bit when comparing the 2...

I will say however.. at least Bioware did release patches as it seems getting anything else for TSL is an uphill battle..

Old 05-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #37
aerowars617
Rookie

Then again, it took EA a while to realease another patch for Zero Hour. IIRC, they released 1 or 2 patches, waited a really long time, then released another few patches. Maybe Obsidian can learn a few lessons

Veni, Vidi, Vicii!

Magister Mundi Sum!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #38
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Of course, but if there's something that gaming companies should learn once and for all is that building a bad reputation with the gamer community isn't exactly good for business. If they keep making unpopular decisions, such as rushing games, releasing them incomplete and with bugs, or making them only for one single overpriced gaming platform, then chances are, people will get tired of their attitude and stop buying their products.
Sure. But when do you think people will stop buying Star Wars games? Especially ones that, dispite complaints about various issues, are critically acclaimed and huge sellers...

Quote:
Only the developers know for sure. But in my experience porting code from one known platforms to multiple less know platforms requires a fair amount of effort (read money). Developing for the 360 only means that the devs know exactly what the hardware does and most of the issues involved. Moving that to PC (which is a generic term refering to unlimited configurations) is hampered by the fact that there are many more unknowns involved since you can never test all possible customer configurations. So the cost is really up to the devs. Either they spend lots of many to try and detect more bugs from more systems, or spend less and have many bugs pop up. In any event, it can be expensive.

Quote:
Not much. The cost of developing software of such complexity is in the millions, which means that there has to be a lot of units sold to recoup that cost and make any kind of profit. For the vast majority of games the profit is slim to nil.

Quote:
In a perfect world. The fact of the matter is, for such complex software it is impossible to test for all issues, and as such there will always, and I mean always, be bugs that make it into the field.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #39
Darth Manus
Rookie

Well, at least they didn't do like Interplay did with the Fallout games. They both had annoying bugs, and I believe that they just made a couple of patches for each game. After that, it's as if they just gave up, because the fans had to correct the remanining bugs on their own.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #40
Buzz1978
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
That's a nice sentiment, unfortunately everyone doesn't have the same excact PC and hardware/software/driver setups, if they did then we wouldn't need any patches as things can be easily tested. Patches are a neccisary evil because of the variances in peoples PC's.
Then why are some companies capable to deliver PC-games that are virtually bug-free and others aren't?
Buzz1978 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > is KoToR III for PC?