lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: How to balance the mighty SSD
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-11-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
gates1026
Lurker

How to balance the mighty SSD

Does anyone have any thoughts as how they may balance the SSD? I imagine that anything that huge is going to be able to go toe to toe with many many rebel or empire capital ships. How do you think they will be able to successfully bring balance to the space battles?

Also, I am wondering how multiplayer skirmishes will work, will any or all sides have the opportunity to build a SSD?
gates1026 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Dark Sad Shadow
^Forum Haunter^

Location: Stalk "The night", if that's your wish, Yet, if you find my grave, I won't be there, There are thousands of places left for my despair.
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
i dont know, but i think they´ll give the SSD litlle firepower but with a lot of lasers just to be spectacular

Dark Sad Shadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Foshjedi2004

V. Expensive to build. and Vunerable to TRD

Rebel Counter: Fighters and the Viscount Mon Cal Cruiser

My Personal Opinions are not Endorsed by Any Websites, persons or places.
Check out my Gallery
[/color]
Foshjedi2004 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
TronusNavigon
Rookie

Invincible to everything, costs 10000 maybe 12000 credits, but can be destroyed instantly by a single 200 credit A-Wing fighter.

It must be a single A-Wing fighter (not a group), and the pilot must be screaming.

And... upon destruction of the SSD... Home One suffers a -1 to combat for 5 seconds because Admiral Ackbar gets really sad about this for some wierd, unknown reason.

http://www.techwarrior.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=37025743
TronusNavigon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
gswift

Well, there are two obvious counters. The first counter is that the new faction has the eclipse while the empire has Vader's regular SSD. The Rebel counter is the Ion Cannon. The SSD must use an awefull lot of your pop cap; It would be very sad to have all those pop cap points just floating around with a blue ion cannon glow.

Gary Swift (aka gswift)
Lenexa, Kansas USA

You can try to monkey-proof your program, but you'll never monkey-proof the monkey.
gswift is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronusNavigon
And... upon destruction of the SSD... Home One suffers a -1 to combat for 5 seconds because Admiral Ackbar gets really sad about this for some wierd, unknown reason.
It always looked more like relief to me...but Ackbar is definitely the type to get sentimental over such massive loss of life.

I think Home One's special ability should count for more against the SSD.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
B-Wing.

nuff said.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
FuzzySmurf
Rookie

i like the single a-wing idea...
FuzzySmurf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Thrawn
Grand Admiral

B-wings are SSD killers. A combo of enough B-wings with Home One will spell doom for an SSD.

That was the whole theme of the Balance of Power expansion for X-wing vs. Tie Figther.

"Politicians campaign in poetry and govern in prose."
ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,HPGR_Thrawn, Rogue 6
Born And Bred In XWA Country
Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
Xyvik
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
B-Wing.

nuff said.
Unless of course the Imps get the Defender, which I highly doubt. If the Imps get the Defender, then there really is no stopping them. IF they make the Defender as powerful as its supposed to be. But then again, it would also be darn expensive...

The Sith War: EaW Total Conversion
Arcani Arts: 3D Art

"Willkommen ins verderben"

Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani
Xyvik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #11
Darth Anarch

Wasn't there a new and improved version of the Mon Calamari cruisers in the Dark Empire comics called the MD-90 or something? That could be a counter. And provided the B-wigs pack a sufficiently powerful punch (one squardon can take out a single hardpoint in one pass) that could also work. In the pen-and-paper roleplaying game (West End Games version) the B-wing has a downright ridiculous firepower.
Darth Anarch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #12
Admiral Sith

A single hardpoint in one pass, with one squadron? Now thats ridiculous firepower. How about just having moderate firepower, but with a fairly large increase in firepower in large groups.

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Admiral Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 05:48 AM   #13
Darth Anarch

Not necessarily so ridiculous. A single Y-wing squadron can take out a capital ship hangar (at least on Acclamators and Victory SSDs) in one pass.

"We think in language; therefore, the quality of our thoughts can only be as good as the quality of our language."

-- George Carlin
Old 05-13-2006, 10:23 AM   #14
Darth Andrew
Veteran

I DO NOT want A-wings be the counter to the SSD. It's just so... wrong. Like others, I think squadrons of B-wings should be the counter (if more powerful Mon Calamari cruisers aren't in the game).
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Admiral Sith

Quote:
Not necessarily so ridiculous. A single Y-wing squadron can take out a capital ship hangar (at least on Acclamators and Victory SSDs) in one pass.
Which is even worse.

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Old 05-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
Thrawn
Grand Admiral

Your average Mon Cal, even the improved versions, are not themselves a counter to an SSD. Truthfully, bombers are the big counter. Everything else in the rebel fleet is just there to clear a path for them.

"Politicians campaign in poetry and govern in prose."
ThRaWn90,RAL_Thrawn,HPGR_Thrawn, Rogue 6
Born And Bred In XWA Country
Thrawn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #17
aggie_john
Rookie

no no no. There is not tic for tac balance to the SSD. The balance is that its going to be most likely almost as expensive as the DS to build and that it will take for ever to build. A tech lvl 5 ship too. Yeah it will take a rebel fleet to bring it down and your point is? Its not impossible to destroy anything get some heros enough fighters and bombers and the rebels can destroy it. No a-wing trick. That was pure luck nothing more the rebels would never order a pilot to fly into a captial ship. That is not their way.
aggie_john is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #18
Admiral Raven
Rookie

Plus it will take up alot of space in the fleet so the rebels will outnumber the empire when they are using the SSD. Also maybe the Ecplipse's superlaser will be able to destroy it in one hit?

Admiral Raven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #19
Darth Andrew
Veteran

Actually, they might already have the counters decided. In the E3 Presentation video (the one that shows Tyber's forces on Felucia, corruption on the Galactic Map, and the space battle at Kamino), pause it at 5:37. It shows the SSD window, and from what I can tell, Y-wings and B-wings are the counter.

OMG. This is my 666th post!
Darth Andrew is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #20
Admiral Sith

talk about bad luck :P

Old 05-13-2006, 02:01 PM   #21
Theenglishguru
Rookie

I would like to think that the point is that there IS no balancing act to the super star destroyer - The rebels were shady guerilla type people, The empire couldnt get their hands on the slimy little buggers!
However, in RTS, all there is now is Rock-Paper-scissors which makes the game rather boring in my view. Most modern combat units are either designed against one thing, or can hold their own against everything, or more that a few things for a short while.
The Rebel flotilla concentrated their firepower on the bridge shields enough for some fighters to get through and blow up the deflector array... Technically after that, any missile would have destroyed the bridge, the explosion went through the bridge etc...
Again, this game will almost certainly be a rock paper scissors thing unfortunately, so I'd guess that three or four bomber squadrons will be able to make one pass and knock out the shields, then slowly, or quickly, depends if they decide to change it, or LET US CHANGE IT USING MODDING TOOLS...
Yeah, the limey bugger will go boom in the end.
Theenglishguru is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #22
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Check out the E3 presentation video...at the end, Delphi hovers the mouse over the Executor long enough to see that the in-game encyclopedia claims that the counters to the SSD are Y-Wings and B-Wings.

I'm willing to bet that it will take a lot of those to do the job, however...

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #23
Darth Anarch

That being said I wonder how the B-wing will differ from the Y-wing. More armour? Better speed? And what sort of special ability will it have?

"We think in language; therefore, the quality of our thoughts can only be as good as the quality of our language."

-- George Carlin
Old 05-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #24
Admiral Raven
Rookie

Well it still has ion cannons like the Y-wing so maybe it'll just get ion shot.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:17 AM   #25
Darth Anarch

Could be. I was hoping for something along the lines of an "overwhelming firepower" icon that'll give it a little extra punch. Sort of like Red Squadron's Lucky Shot ability only not as powerful. That would fit well with its intended role as counter-unit to the SSD.

-- George Carlin
Old 05-14-2006, 06:14 AM   #26
The Death Star
Rookie

My Analysis of the SSD In the Game.
The Death Star is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2006, 07:00 AM   #27
Admiral Raven
Rookie

I wonder how many TIEs it will be able to launch!

Old 05-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #28
Darth Anarch

Probably something like double that of an ISD. Although with the new TIEs like the Interceptor and the Phantom there will probably be some of those thrown in the mix as well.

-- George Carlin
Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #29
Admiral Raven
Rookie

Although the phantom has a hyperdrive doesn't it? So that won't need to be hangared. But maybe interceptors could be an upgrade for SDs or something?

Old 05-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #30
Admiral Z

The SSD is nothing more than a remodeled level 5 space station. Well at least that's what I think. And the other super huge Star Destroyer will probably be uncontrollable like the Death Star.
Admiral Z is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Forces of Corruption > How to balance the mighty SSD