lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Start the game off Light or Dark Side?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Question Start the game off Light or Dark Side?

Start the game off Light or Dark Side?
I don't know if we talked about this, so I apologize ahead of time for a repeate question. How about durring the Character creation phase, you get to choose what you want to start off as. Durring game play, you can move freely back and forth. However, you can choose at the beginning to be light or dark.

According to what you choose, the game will start on two different locations. Otherwords, if you are a lightsider, you start off on Dantooine. If you are a darkside, you start off on Korriban. Depending on what you choose, the stories will start off diferent, but you will have the opportunity to change sides.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I think there has been loads of Threads similar to this. I don't like the idea. I prefer starting out neutral and it would make the game a bit confusing and complicated.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
It's a good idea if and ONLY if by choosing the initial alignment you choose whether you will start your training at the Jedi, or Sith Academy. Later on, you can choose to continue to follow the initial path, or to change it.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsie
I think there has been loads of Threads similar to this.
I think it's twenty now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsie
I don't like the idea. I prefer starting out neutral and it would make the game a bit confusing and complicated.
Same here.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
I, too, prefer a neutral beginning.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
I'd like to start from the .....Dark Side.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 01:43 AM   #7
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Neutral... the only way to fly.

See in RPG's you have to cater to all your player types, staring off fixed at one or the other extreme can alienate the people who play the other way. They would feel 'forced' to be a certain way, or that they are being penalised from the beginning to play the other path. You would truely be surprised at the people who feel this way.

I know a person who has played D&D and AD&D for over 20 years and he only plays Lawful Good Paladins or Clerics, and is quite happy to do so for another 20 years. We also have another person who plays only Lawful Evil characters, plays all the allowed classes but all LE, needless to say these 2 make for amusing situations when together, but still they are happy with what they like. Like it or not these types of people are part of this games target audience.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

This has been discussed many times, any the majority of people want neutral. After all, if you start off as LS or DS, whats the point?

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
igyman
Tension!

There is a point if it is done the way I suggested above.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
Henz

As I hope not to return to Dantooine or the Sith academy then NO! lol
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #11
Cactus-Jack
Rookie

I think neutral no matter what. If for example you did have the choice between training at the sith or jedi academy, i would hope that the choice is presented via dialouge or your choices in-game, not just off your alignment. What if you wanted to start off as light side and fall to the dark, but since you chose to start light side your stuck with jedi training?

It also seems a bit unfair that you'd be given mastery bonus as a starting point.

I have at times wanted to start off as DS when playing a DS character, because of the visual change. But really yoru alignment should be defined by your actions in the game, not a checkbox before the game has even started.
Cactus-Jack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #12
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeodCorp
Durring game play, you can move freely back and forth.
Huh? Is falling to the dark side and being redeemed like changing pants?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime
Huh? Is falling to the dark side and being redeemed like changing pants?

This is why you are one of my favorite posters on these boards.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
igyman
Tension!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henz
As I hope not to return to Dantooine or the Sith academy then NO! lol
Who says you'll return to Dantooine, or the Korriban Academy (which both lie in ruins, by the way)!
If you start off as a Jedi, you start on Coruscant, if you're a Sith you start... somewhere else.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:31 PM   #15
Arátoeldar
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman
Who says you'll return to Dantooine, or the Korriban Academy (which both lie in ruins, by the way)!
If you start off as a Jedi, you start on Coruscant, if you're a Sith you start... somewhere else.
The only other place I could see starting off as Sith would be Malachor V. I don't see this as being a fun beginning for the Sith.

Not all those who wander are lost.-J.R.R. Tolkien

I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it but by it I see everything else - C.S. Lewis
Arátoeldar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #16
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
I think I will be board if they don't do something to mix things up. Truthfully, they need to shake things up a bit to win me over to a KotOR 3. You can only play as a 'Gray' Jedi so many times until you get tired of building a character from scratch. The first KotOR was intresting, for you worked up to becoming a Jedi. The second pushed us further, you started as a Jedi and became one out of six prestiage classes. I think they hit the limit of options. What is next? Now you can become a Force Ghost? You start as a Jedi Master or Sith Lord with amniesia, and you fight your way to become one with the Force?

2004-2008
Old 05-30-2006, 05:51 AM   #17
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Quote:
I think I will be board if they don't do something to mix things up. Truthfully, they need to shake things up a bit to win me over to a KotOR 3. You can only play as a 'Gray' Jedi so many times until you get tired of building a character from scratch. The first KotOR was intresting, for you worked up to becoming a Jedi. The second pushed us further, you started as a Jedi and became one out of six prestiage classes.
Yeah, I mean starting out with a neutral character that you customise is just soooo old school for RPG's

The whole point of an RPG is that you create the character, and you define the character. If they are already LS or DS, then part of the job has already been done for you.

I really wish people would stop coming up with this idea, it's bad - very very bad and needs to be sent to its room without any dinner.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #18
Cygnus Q'ol
Savior of Albion

Current Game: liberty city stories
Here we go again with this training wheels starting point idea.
What exactly is the pupose again of having your alignment chosen ahead of time?

Isn't that the point of an RPG, to develop your character?
How can you develop a character correctly if he/she is already halfway there?

I'm going to have to dissagree with this suggestion.
...again and
...again and
...again.

Please make it stop...

The Starbuck's in Bowerstone has Percolated Java Macchiatos.
Cygnus Q'ol is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 AM   #19
ExileRevan
Rookie

I want to start off grey. That way you can choose to be seduced, or follow, or you can stay away from both (the smart choice). Starting off as a Jedi or Sith class to me is irelivant, I think the grey side should have classes thats where I's be.
ExileRevan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #20
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
Yeah, I mean starting out with a neutral character that you customise is just soooo old school for RPG's

The whole point of an RPG is that you create the character, and you define the character. If they are already LS or DS, then part of the job has already been done for you.

I really wish people would stop coming up with this idea, it's bad - very very bad and needs to be sent to its room without any dinner.
Maybe there should be a three way option. Otherwords you can choose to start the game as: Light, Gray, or Dark.

F.Y.I.
RPGs - are made to be flexible. There is no rule anywhere that a character has to start off gray. When I play Table-Top RPGs, the starting alignment of my character depends on how I feel. If I choose to create a character who is dark, but walk on the light side, there is plenty of room. Some RPGs give penalties for crossing alignments, and others are open ended.

2004-2008
Old 05-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #21
RaV™
I Came I Saw I Conquered

Neutral. It's funner to work your way down to Darkside or Lightside. I mean if you were all the way darkside you wouldn't get points for..per say force commanding thugs to jump in a bottomless pit so they can reach the ground 'faster.'

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6469/ssigvv2.gif
Changed pic to link. Please find a sig pic that is in line with our sig rules, 500X120 and 80kb max, Forum Rules. ~ SWK Staff
RaV™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2006, 04:56 PM   #22
darthcarth

I agree with mac a 3 way would be good but like people said it need to be complex so if u chose to be a dser but then fall to the ls u wont be treated as a sith any more and maybe u will have to go to the jedi temple to train again since u are trying to be come a jedi and visa versa and im tired of having it so the sith hunt u down why cant this time we hunt jedi lol? i mean a mass scale hunt not go find the jedi masters and kill them.

EmpireFTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
darthcarth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2006, 11:12 PM   #23
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
F.Y.I.
RPGs - are made to be flexible. There is no rule anywhere that a character has to start off gray.
Yes, yes there is, when the PC is supposed to be allowed to choose their path in the game you must start out at a neutral state...

If you do otherwise you are alienating part of your audience because they feel penalized, trust me people don't like this. The Bartle's Player Types are still used as a guideline for creating games.

Quote:
When I play Table-Top RPGs, the starting alignment of my character depends on how I feel. If I choose to create a character who is dark, but walk on the light side, there is plenty of room. Some RPGs give penalties for crossing alignments, and others are open ended.
See here is where you have to leave the PnP game beliefs behind...

With a PnP game you define your character beforehand while you are writing things down and rolling dice, and writing a back-story, before the campaign even starts. Then the GameMaster integrates your characters into the campaign world.

With a Computer Game you are allowed to define your character, but you have to adhere to the limitations of the pre-set storyline.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #24
darthcarth

I would settle for being able to jsut train at academys how about your goal is to become a jedi so, u work your way up unitl either the jedi or sith academy reconizes u? i dont want to go through another story were i am a jedi but i feel like i dont have the proper training kotor 2 made me feel like a wanna be jedi. i could go either way.

EmpireFTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
darthcarth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 06:48 AM   #25
Darth Manus
Rookie

Starting off neutral and getting to choose your path from there is more fun. Incidentally, maybe there should be some Gray Jedi prestige classes or something. In TSL, you absolutely had to go to one of the extremes in order to get a prestige class, not to mention trigger some events.

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Darth Manus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #26
tbl1
Rookie

Quote:
It's a good idea if and ONLY if by choosing the initial alignment you choose whether you will start your training at the Jedi, or Sith Academy. Later on, you can choose to continue to follow the initial path, or to change it.
If you start of as LS or DS, your going to want to play the whole game as LS or DS. What would be the point of starting of LS to play DS.
One of the main part of the game was to become good or evil based on your actions.
tbl1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #27
Darth Manus
Rookie

The only way that could be changed without exaggerating would be if you could pick a starting faction, with its corresponding location, but still start out neutral. However, in order for that to work, there should be a good amount of turning points where you can change your alignment and standing with both sides through certain choices.

One thing that fools will never understand is that only a weakling lets the darkness control him. A mix of light and darkness is a powerful thing. Volatile, yes, but also unexpected, and thus even more dangerous.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:17 AM   #28
tbl1
Rookie

Factions aren't a bad idea.
tbl1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 06:09 AM   #29
Darth Manus
Rookie

I think it would also make sense if more people started reacting to your alignment and reputation.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #30
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I think you should start as grey, just like the first two. Unless you play as the Exile, then I could see you starting as light or dark.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 09:42 PM   #31
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Unless you play as the Exile, then I could see you starting as light or dark.
That's still a big step. I think we should take baby steps: make the next game the first one in the series where you start in pants.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #32
Revan435
Rookie

game wouldnt be as fun if u started the game out on either side because u have less control over ur character its fun to make choices and c how the world reacts to what u decided.
Revan435 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #33
Raven_Onasi
Rookie

Quote:
I agree with igyman.

Life is pain, highness, anyone who says differently is selling something. ~ Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride)

Pain is really the only reliable means by which truth may be obtained. Or so I choose to believe. ~HK-47

I'm not a warrior, I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent – usually from warriors. ~ Carth
Raven_Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #34
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I like the idea of working towards one alignment or another, so I prefer to start neutral and work my way light or dark. If you start as very DS or LS, what incentive do you have to consistently roleplay light or dark choices?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 12:58 AM   #35
Darca Lar
Forumite

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
I dont really care, its really about the choices made throughout the game i prefer.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow, a mystery. Today is a gift...that is why it is called the present.
Darca Lar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #36
darthxarga
Rookie

Thumbs up

I beleive that that is an awsome idea cuz if we gould change freely then i could, wait, you see there could be a point where i can either be really bad or really good, and i wouldnt be able to choose, but if i choose in the begining then id be off and ready to know wat im goin to do

though i wouldnt like to start at korriban, since it is destroyed and all
darthxarga is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #37
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I hope you don't start at the dark side. There are entirely too many characters that get redeemed.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > Start the game off Light or Dark Side?