lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What Kind of Game Should KOTOR 3 Be?
Role Playing Game (RPG) 55 88.71%
Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) 2 3.23%
First Person Shooter 0 0%
Third Person Shooter 2 3.23%
Both 1 & 2 3 4.84%
Doesn't matter, as long as it's good. 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What Kind of Game Should KOTOR 3 Be?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
Fan48
Rookie

What Kind of Game Should KOTOR 3 Be?

What kind of game do you thing KOTOR 3 should be?.

Zim: "If I am elected President, Dib's head will be remove and filled with salted nuts."

Gir: "SALTED NUTS"

Currently Playing: Dead Rising(X360), Madden 07(X360), KOTOR 1 & 2(PC), NASCAR 07(Xbox), Call of Duty 2(X360)

Last edited by Fan48; 06-02-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Fan48 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Uhm... stupid question, really...

RPG. Just like the other two.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
Ben_Walker
Smartass

The Doctor has a point

Remember the breeze across your face
Remember the swaying sleeves in the wind
Remember the grains of sand beneath your feet
between your toes
Remember the freedom in the never ending waves

Remember I'll be at the beach.

Jedi Academy - Renaissance
Ben_Walker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
*Atris*

There is no reason to change the format.

The game has to remain RPG. It HAS TOO.

It cant change on the third, it is a game focusing on story, it will not work any other way.

If its made it will definatly be an RPG.
*Atris* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Diego Varen
Left and may not return

Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I agree. It must stay as an RPG. If it was a FPS/TPS it would be like the Jedi Knight series.
Diego Varen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
Jason Skywalker
Fight da Powah

Current Game: SMT: Imagine
Like many others said,i think it should stay an RPG.But if it was a FPS/TPS i wouldn't mind.
Jason Skywalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
Fan48
Rookie

I would keep the single player the same but add an online MMORPG feature.

Zim: "If I am elected President, Dib's head will be remove and filled with salted nuts."

Currently Playing: Dead Rising(X360), Madden 07(X360), KOTOR 1 & 2(PC), NASCAR 07(Xbox), Call of Duty 2(X360)
Old 06-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #8
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Current Game: Mass Effect 3
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
RPG. No other option.

If people want a Star Wars FPS, play the Jedi Knight series. That is the Star Wars FPS. KotoR is the Star Wars RPG. There is a distinction, and there is absolutely no need to switch it up right in the middle of the series. There's also that Darth Vader game coming out soon if JK series isn't good enough for you, but FPS has no place in the KotOR series.

It also can not be an MMORPG. MMORPG's do not have beginnings or endings, and it would be very difficult (read: impossible) to continue the KotOR story if it doesn't have a beginning or ending in the third installment. That's why we have SWG -- having two Star Wars MMORPG's would not be good business. There'd be scant little difference anyway, except that you'd have kolto tanks instead of bacta tanks.

Inyri is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #9
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I want it to be as close to the style of the first two as possible. So definitely an RPG.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
@Whoever voted/will vote FPS:That's a great idea, attract an audience in the first two and then target another audience in the third one.

Consistency is everyone's friend, so I'll stick with what I voted in the similar polls to this: keep it an RPG.

Let's kill ourselves.

Last edited by Hallucination; 06-03-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #11
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination
@Whoever voted/will vote FPS:That's a great idea, attract an audience in the first two and then target another audience in the third one.
Exactly.

I like Kotor because it's _not_ a shooter game. If I wanted a FPS, I'd go buy one. If they changed the format in the middle of the series, my response would be somewhere between very disappointed and really ticked off.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
Ben_Walker
Smartass

Yeah, for single player keep it RPG, as for multiplayer, well I play it on the X-Box and I don't have the Live package so that part of the game could have playable Ewoks and Hutts for all I care.

Remember the breeze across your face
Remember the swaying sleeves in the wind
Remember the grains of sand beneath your feet
between your toes
Remember the freedom in the never ending waves

Remember I'll be at the beach.

Jedi Academy - Renaissance
Ben_Walker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 11:21 PM   #13
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
I like Kotor because it's _not_ a shooter game. If I wanted a FPS, I'd go buy one. If they changed the format in the middle of the series, my response would be somewhere between very disappointed and really ticked off.
Same here. There are several other SW FPS. For once we have a good single player RPG, let's not ruin it.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #14
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

RPG definitely. Though I don't mind the game having the following elements:

1) Internal Card Games: Pazaak, onless you want to move on to "the other" famous Star Wars cardgame.

2) Minigames: I don't miss swoop racing too much, but an optional minigame or two is good. Anything from puzzle drops to go knows what, it gives you that little break from the story you need once in a while.

3) Anime Dating Game: Well it is, and has been happening, so keep it up. No, we can leave the "Brokeback Hentai Hot Coffee" part out. But more romance options/actions is not bad either. Just cause "Love and the Force" is always a nice storyline. Jedis Forbid it, Siths Hate it, yet its an important part of the Force.

4) Limited Edition Boxset with reallife Pazaak set.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #15
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Same here...

But this is sadly what the Button Mashing ADD Generation of Console Kiddies would like to do is make the style of all games built into the no thinking and all reflexive pulse-pounding action all the time. They have no idea why all games don't offer the same type of twitch gameplay...

On-topic: Let's keep KotOR III an RPG like the first two are.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #16
milo
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]

Keep it an rpg.

"I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now,
Even though you broke my heart and killed me.
And tore me to pieces...
And threw every piece into a fire.
As I burned, it hurt because
I was so happy for you." - GLaDOS
milo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 04:29 AM   #17
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Do the people who want a FPS consider that if it wasn't an RPG, it wouldn't be KotOR3? Nope, didn't think so.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
tbl1
Rookie

RPG for KOTOR 3 but a spin off MMO would be nice as well (SW Galaxies 2: The Old Republic).
tbl1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #19
Fan48
Rookie

Excellent idea, tbl1.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:30 AM   #20
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
I for one don't see how it can't be both an RPG and and FPS, like Oblivion is, and Oblivion is far superior to Kotor I or II, so why not have Kotor III be like Oblivion?

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #21
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawke
Same here...

But this is sadly what the Button Mashing ADD Generation of Console Kiddies would like to do is make the style of all games built into the no thinking and all reflexive pulse-pounding action all the time. They have no idea why all games don't offer the same type of twitch gameplay...
What do you bet something like that got said of those of us from the Atari generation (and later)? I wore out controllers playing Pac-man, Space Invaders, and Circus Atari.
However, there's only so many times you can push a button before you realize, 'hey, in the last scene, I pushed a button a zillion times to kill the creature. And in this scene, I'm pushing a button a zillion times to kill this creature. You know, I wonder if there's more to gaming?' Then I saw several friends of mine having fun playing D&D (during the time of 'if you play that, you'll end up deranged and running around in sewers chasing alligators' no less). That was the end of button-mashing for me, at least until my kids started getting old enough to play video games.
Now I like to have some thinking going on with my games, and the RPGs and mystery games (CSI, Agatha Christie, etc.) fit the bill very nicely, along with the D&D and Avalon Hill games.
I'd actually like to see more SW RPGs if they don't continue Kotor.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #22
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium
I for one don't see how it can't be both an RPG and and FPS, like Oblivion is, and Oblivion is far superior to Kotor I or II, so why not have Kotor III be like Oblivion?
Well, that would be wierd, playing the first two games, buying the third and having to learn an entirely different way to play the game. And remember that many people here like it because it isn't twitch.

Let's kill ourselves.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #23
Master omega
Rookie

It should be like oblivion

it should be like oblivion still a rpg. but with the combat in first person. if you want because even in oblivion you can fight in third person so haveing the choice is a good thing. I totaly agree and if you chose to use first person. Useing the force to block and see your charcter block in first person would be extrelmy cool in my oppion.

Last edited by Master omega; 06-03-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Master omega is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #24
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
What all the people in the "KotOR 3 should be an RPG" camp said.

If and when (hopefully more when than if) KotOR 3 gets made I'll be interested to see how the combat is handled. Will KotOR 3's combat system follow along the lines of TES IV: Oblivion and Mass Effect? Seems quite possible to me although I don't know how I would like it since I haven't played Oblivion and Mass Effect isn't yet available. It's an interesting trend to note though how game developers are incorporating FPS/TPS elements into their most recent RPG's.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #25
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Is the 'Make it Oblivion' argument the next generation of the 'Make it JA' argument?

Oblivion is real-time, and not everyone likes real time. No matter what engine you use, it won't be KotOR. If you want Oblivion, go and play Oblivion.

Let's kill ourselves.

Last edited by Hallucination; 06-03-2006 at 02:59 PM. Reason: weeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 06-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #26
Henz

If it was a different type of game it wouldn't be called KOTOR 3. This question is stupid.
Henz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #27
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Exactly.

Onasi nailed it to the wall...I agree.

Plus, didn't Lucas Arts allready add KotOR characters to SW: Galaxies?

Regardless, I like it the way it is.

F.Y.I. - To everyone else, this was not a dumb question. He had a thought, and he thought it would be an intresting question. There is nothing wrong with that.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #28
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination
Is the 'Make it Oblivion' argument the next generation of the 'Make it JA' argument?

Oblivion is real-time, and not everyone likes real time. No matter what engine you use, it won't be KotOR. If you want Oblivion, go and play Oblivion.
Bingo.

As a person who has played both Oblivion and KotOR, I like them both (almost) equally, but for completely different reasons. The gameplay is completely different. Almost as different as that between an RPG and a FPS. That's stretching it a bit, but consider how open-ended Oblivion is compared to KotOR.

Almost too open-ended. Oblivion is story-driven, but much more weakly so than KotOR. That kind of gameplay really wouldn't work for the KotOR series. Perhaps an RPG spin-off, but the KotOR series is and needs to be strongly story driven, because the story is what makes it so good. To make it like Oblivion would be to destroy its strongest part.

Besides, I really am not that fond of first person RPG styles. They're quite overrated, IMHO. More like an FPS player's RPG than a real RPG .

Old 06-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #29
tbl1
Rookie

Still, there's nothing wrong with being able to choose b/w 1st and 3rd person views, the turn-based that plays out in real-time using the d20 gameplay can still stay the same.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #30
Inyri
The Magical Malefactor

Oblivion's third-person gamestyle is still very first-person at heart. You can't have a dice-roll system when combat is completely player-controlled. There are too many uncontrollable variables -- it wouldn't work out.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #31
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

I found this IGN report about Mass Effect's combat system of interest.
Quote:
From the third-person over the shoulder perspective, he blasted a few energy bolts the bot's way, crumbling it to the ground. This introduces a significant action element into Mass Effect, as you actually have to aim at the enemy to hit them. Once you're aiming at them, which is aided by a soft lock-on when you get your reticule close, character statistics take over.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/707/707270p2.html

Sounds like it's a hybrid between twitch skills and d20 rules. This is one game I look forward to trying out when it makes it to PC, just to see how this combat system works. In any case it seems games like Oblivion and Mass Effect are redefining RPG's.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #32
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeodCorp
this was not a dumb question
Yes, yes it is. If you want Oblivion, go play Oblivion. If you want a FPS, go play JO, JA or any other of the thousands of FPS' out there. If you want a Star Wars RPG, you play KotOR.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 11:11 PM   #33
Point Man
Seeker of Truth

I like Fable, withi its mix of RPG with player-controlled combat. However, I also like KOTOR, with its emphasis on role-playing and character development. It's neat to have a game where your character building determines your success in combat, rather than your reflexes. There are already plenty of games out there like Oblivion. Let's keep the KOTOR series as it is.

Show me a man who is twenty and not a liberal, and I will show you a man with no heart.
Show me a man who is forty and not a conservative, and I will show you a man with no brain.

Point Man is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #34
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Windu
Yes, yes it is.
...a dumb question.

If you thought it was such a dumb question then why did you post in this thread to begin with? Wouldn't you have been better off just ignoring the thread and not posting at all?

Yeah, I grow weary of those that say "Make the next KotOR an FPS!" But I concede the FPS'ers are out there, annoyingly enough. I just hope that if and when the next KotOR gets made that it stays true to the first two KotOR games in terms of story and gameplay.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:53 AM   #35
Darth SINner
Rookie

has to stay an rp any other way just won't do. And it wouldn't do the KOTOR series any justice.
Darth SINner is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2006, 03:28 AM   #36
tbl1
Rookie

If you want to make KOTOR 3 a fps, why not make halo 3 a rpg?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:01 AM   #37
Chowganhime
Rookie

Whoever put first or third person shooter... I'm going to slap you... disguting!
Chowganhime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #38
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 05:14 AM   #39
Lord_Andre
Rookie

Cool Guy

RPG like Kotor1&2,its more challenging this way.

All that is yours is rightfully mine and mine it will be.
Lord_Andre is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #40
woogiee

[sarcasm]it should be a RACING game!!!![/sarcasm]

definately rpg, it would be wierd as others have said to change it all of the sudden
woogiee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > The Unknown Regions > What Kind of Game Should KOTOR 3 Be?