lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Do you still play online?
Yes. Always have, always will 14 25.00%
The time spent online has been reduced 14 25.00%
I play only at weekends 2 3.57%
I've totally given up 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: How many of you still play online?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
DarthMaulUK

How many of you still play online?

Today, I was thinking how all my most recent online experiences have been very poor - one reason or another. They all focus around the fact that the actual playing community cheat too much, drop too much and nothing gets done about it.

Personally, I havent played a ranked game in weeks because of these reasons and its funny how it all centres around Gamespy.

For Empire at War to survive like Dawn of War has, I believe that the current set up needs dramatic improvements. The batch of servers should be reduced down and not named by country, the interface needs to be improved so players can actually still chat whilst waiting for a game to launch and the entire ranking system needs an over haul. Quick match is a complete waste of time (especially on 1v1 campaign) and a more user friendly version needs to be brought in.

Gamespy arent to blame for all of the above but they are to blame for the way they maintain the forums, chat lobbys and general admin.

I would like to know how you all feel about it. Are you still playing? Is it still fun? Have the recent new player made maps improved things?

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Darth Alec
Forumite

I have given up, it's a shame really, for fighting online could have been the best point of the game. Gamespy really sucks.

I am a High Admiral of the Imperial fleet.

Serving the Empire is my destiny, and only Sidious is my lord.

Two starwars parodys...

Starwars gangsta rap

Robot chicken
Darth Alec is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
Admiral Sith

Havent played in months. Only reason i have EaW still installed is because im helping to make a mod for it.

"It may be that the old astrologers had the truth exactly reversed, when they believed that the stars controlled the destinies of men. The time may come when men control the destinies of stars." -Arthur C. Clarke

"Ideals are like stars: you will not succeed in touching them with your hands, but like the seafaring man on the ocean desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them, you reach your destiny." -Carl Schurz
Admiral Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
DS_Vespidbat
Rookie

i dont care for ranked games. i only play skirmish, very good at it too.And im still learning new strats, and i have master which strat to use in diff maps.

DS_Vespidbat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I have actually never played in an online game. Hopefully now that I'm done with school for a while (hooray!) I can play some more on my own and eventually try out online and see how it is myself.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #6
XkaOnslaught
Rookie

meh. skirmish ftw

and about what DarthMaul said, thou should check Empiresawn of the modern world online functions. its also powered by gamespy, but because the game mechanics allows chatting on the main lobby even while in a rom, its great, perhaps EAW online should be centred around that.
XkaOnslaught is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
Wilfer88
Rookie

I play the game online nearly every day. Its a great game. But the people you meet online isent always that great. Thats why I joined a clan so I know where the good peoples are. But I still meet peoples that cheats, are annoying and leave the game in the middle of a match only becouse it dident go so well.
And I agree that the game needs some changes on the servers and soo, so the game can survive throut onlinegaming.
Wilfer88 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
Commander Obi-Wan
Gold Standard

Current Game: BioShock 2
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
I have actually never played in an online game. Hopefully now that I'm done with school for a while (hooray!) I can play some more on my own and eventually try out online and see how it is myself.
Same for me....in July. But, yeah, I have yet to play online yet.

Commander Obi-Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2006, 05:19 PM   #9
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

I haven't ever played online (I should try a skirmish with people I know), but I load up single-player Galactic Conquests a couple of times a week.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2006, 04:38 PM   #10
Slocket

The Poll needs another option: I do not play online.

You are assuming everyone does; reading the above post gives reason why I never waste my time online. That is for all games, not just EAW.

It would seem 50% love it, the other 50% careless.
Slocket is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
DarthMaulUK

The poll is aimed at all those who have/are playing online. A poll has already been done for those who do/do not play online. The idea is to find out how many people started playing, either still do or don't play it anymore

DMUK
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I haven't played on the official servers in ages, and I've never played a game with random people. The only reason I use the online servers is due to the lack of direct IP connection option.

In fact, I still have to finish a quick Galactic Conquest that was started weeks ago.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #13
Destroyder121

I might start playing again after FoC comes out, but atm people online are way too skilled for me.
Destroyder121 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #14
Xyvik
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfer88
But I still meet peoples that cheats, are annoying and leave the game in the middle of a match only becouse it dident go so well.
Such is, unfortunately, the state of affairs of just about every online game these days. The online scene is too littered with (usually) young punks who think it's fun to 'haxxor' or aren't mature enough to face defeat as easily as winning.

If I could ever send a message out to those kind of people, there are two things I'd want to say, first to the cheaters and second to the poor sports: One) Get a life

Two) You learn more from defeat than from victory.

That's why I only play online with people I know, which is a startling low number.

The Sith War: EaW Total Conversion
Arcani Arts: 3D Art

"Willkommen ins verderben"

Without a home. Without a people. Without mercy. The Arcani
Xyvik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #15
DarthMuffin
Dark Cupcake of the Sith

In order to be succesful, the online portion of a game (especially RTSs) needs to be moderated. Hackers must be banned, and servers must be kept "in good shape".

As far as I am concerned, I never seriously got involved in multiplayer in LucasArts' games. Most I have played is probably SWGB, but the Zone is so crappy that it wasn't much fun anyway. Did play a lot with friends over modem/IP though.

But Empire at War was simply not interesting enough, at least for me. I think I tried online once or twice, and it was rather pathetic.

So yeah, I have totally given up. But not only the multiplayer. IMO, both SWGB and FC were more fun both online and in single player. Meh.

~Dark Cupcake of the Sith
DarthMuffin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2006, 04:58 AM   #16
Orao

Look ad DAwn of the War. Has no moderator but has great MP support. Not this annoying thing the created. You want to change region you have to exit the game and go in configuration and then specify UK/France/USA/Germany etc etc....

As for guys who are leaving the game before the end it is easy. They don't want to screw up their stats. One of ways to solve this is to give them more negative points if they quite before the end than usualy if they loose the game.

EaW: Total Realism
mod....
TR mod team status: TR Advisor, programmer, map maker, Multimedia developer
Orao is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #17
Hound_Dawg
Rookie

Yeah, what puts me off is the incredibly low amount of server/games running. 10 games running, with 85% of them being Space is really depressing. Lucasarts should get some companies to run dedicated servers or something, I don't know, but they need to increase the number of games.

Hound_Dawg is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2006, 11:44 AM   #18
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
I suck at single player, so until I don't I never play MP.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #19
Isair
Rookie

I play occasionally on-line in between other games, sometimes I watch my friend play when he comes on over.
Isair is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-23-2006, 10:21 PM   #20
Admiral Z

They should follow how Battlenet works. Up to 10 players with a bit of lag and units on screen move smoothly instead of jerkily (Generals Online any1?)
Admiral Z is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 07:29 PM   #21
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I've never played online. But then I don't own the game (can't afford it right now)... so I've only played the demo for single player (and the numerous mods that came out for it)...

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #22
Snafu7
Purvayer of Truthiness

I haven't played online in a long time, but when I did play I only played against people I knew.
Snafu7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #23
ImpElite

I play online ALL THE TIME. I never try to let people who quit the game during the middle of it or people that join a game just to say "your clan sucks" ruin MY fun.
and about the little punks that are immature and whatnot I am in fact 13 but at least I don't say dirty things or cuss any (not trying to flame I totally agree with you about them) the Developers should install a chat filter or whatever they were called to prevent too much cussing.
ImpElite is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #24
Elukka
Rookie

I had given up playing EaW for a while, but i suddenly got an urge to go play online. So i did, now i've been playing for 2 days.
Elukka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #25
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I still don't have the game yet. But hopefully there will still be some servers when I finally do...

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Galactic Discussion > How many of you still play online?